Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

When we were dating, my now-husband jokingly proposed to me in the parking lot of the hardware store he used to work at, with one of these:

I would wear that before that pendant (and in fact, I still have it in my jewelry box 17 years later as a cute reminder of our courtship). I'm an artist who makes sculptures out of junk, so I actually shop a lot at hardware stores. That fuckin' 99 cent square nut is more meaningful than some stupid over-priced gaudy crap from a video game that she cares nothing about.

Aww, sweet. I'm all for shlocky sentimental stuff whether that's a nut like yours or some fandom-centered theme (how many folks have gotten married with the One Ring ignoring how creepy that is?) but it's gotta be two-way, a way to celebrate "thing that unites us" with an emphasis on the "us".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

PostNouveau posted:

I'd be swatting the phone out of his hand within a week about thirty seconds of this behavior starting.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

so this guy posted an update

UPDATE: My girlfriend told me she was with a friend, but that friend was with me picking out an engagement ring. How do I confront my girlfriend about her lie?

quote:

Hey guys! Oh my god, where to begin! My last post got WAY more attention than I could have ever imagined. Suffice to say, it was a tad bit overwhelming. Seriously, the amount of people begging for an update was a bit dehumanizing in a way. Like I wasn't a person going through something, but more so a "story". But I understand, haha.

I just want to say thank you so so so much for all of the support and wonderful comments. I got a lot of great advice that helped me tackle the issue head on. I also got a lot of really really kind comments and messages. It was awesome.

I also got a lot of comments that made me realize how toxic this sub can be. There were MANY comments that just said things like "she's cheating, it's over" and "don't even confront her, just leave". It's advice like that that can ruin relationships that just need a little work.

And thank you to the people that told me to hit my girlfriend, told me I was an embarrassment to my gender, and best of all, told me I should encourage an affair because it would lead to great experiences for me later in life. You gave me a good chuckle.

**ON TO THE UPDATE.**

I decided to confront my girlfriend. I thought about using some of the lies people suggested, but they just wouldn't make sense. To say I ran into Justine somewhere: well, I told my girl I had to stay home and do stuff around the house, and that's why I couldn't go with her to see my SIL. To say Justine was helping me pick out jewelry: it doesn't make sense for her to come all the way to our house to help me pick out a piece of jewelry unless it was a serious piece of jewelry (like an engagement ring). If I just wanted to get her a piece of jewelry as a gift, I'd ask her friends for suggestions or ask them to send me pictures of jewelry she might like. It all happens over text. None of the excuses made sense. So, I decided to be honest.

I basically just said that I knew we'd been thinking about marriage and she probably knew a proposal was coming soon so I invited Justine over to help me find her the perfect ring, and that so happened to be the day that she said she was going to see her, so... what's the deal?

She immediately started grinning like an idiot and prodding me about proposing and the ring, but then we got back onto the topic of where she was and she confessed what she was really doing. No, she wasn't cheating, and no, she wasn't picking out a ring for me (the amount of times that was commented was crazy).

So, some people are dog people and some people are cat people. Well, me, I'm a snake person. I grew up with snakes my whole life. But I never felt I was able to get one because my girlfriend has always been uneasy about living with a snake which I completely respected. Also, the process of buying and raising a snake is very different than that of buying and raising a dog or cat. It's quite complicated. So you could imagine my surprise when my girlfriend showed me a picture of her holding the cutest Kenyan sand boa I have EVER SEEN!

Needless to say, my girlfriend was going to surprise me with a snake! We're picking her up next week (let me know if you want a pet tax, she's so cute). I definitely did not expect this and I feel bad for ruining the surprise, but oh well. Life is good! Sorry if this isn't the ending you guys wanted or expected, just a snake haha. Thanks for reading!!

TLDR: snake.

Edit: pet tax!

https://imgur.com/gallery/GbnZIar

Sorry I'd love to give some better pictures, but the only other picture is a picture of the snake right next to my girlfriends face, which I don't want to show. If people are still interested I'll probably upload more to my profile once we take her home!

we did it reddit!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

goethe.cx posted:

UPDATE: My girlfriend told me she was with a friend, but that friend was with me picking out an engagement ring. How do I confront my girlfriend about her lie?

we did it reddit!

OK well... uh.... congrats?

WTF.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

goethe.cx posted:

we did it reddit!

Well that was unexpected.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Mods, please change thread title to include “the cutest kenyan sand boa I have ever seen”

Natty Ninefingers fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 2, 2020

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

goethe.cx posted:

we did it reddit!

Love to get my digs in about how this subreddit attracts people who crave stimuli that provides a vicarious emotional life, while also posting my own life like it's a CW show (now with PETS!!)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I brought my "famous" boyfriend to my sister's wedding?

quote:

My boyfriend is a "famous" guy. Not like, brad pitt famous or anything, but someone that my particular small town family would recognize, let's just say. Think like... country singer famous?

​Anyway.

​So my sister is sending out RSVPs for her wedding (which is like, months away, and we don't even know if it's going to get postponed because of corona).

​Bf and I have been dating 8ish months, and we live in a big city. Here, no one cares or bothers him much. But I understand that in a small town, any excitement is.... exciting?

​Basically my sister is upset that I would even think of bringing my boyfriend, because it's going to steal her thunder. Part of me gets it, but part of me is just annoyed. She and my parents have already met him, he's been to our home town before. And sure, like, our cousins and extended family haven't met him. And yes, it would be the first large family gathering that he's a part of.

​The conversation then turned into an argument about how famous he is or isn't (they're acting like I'm bringing Justin Bieber home), and even if I was... I guess famous people aren't allowed to date.....?

​My mom says I'm being unfair, but I don't think so? Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

we did it reddit!

Gross

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Bridezilla strikes again

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kenshin posted:

Bridezilla strikes again
Iono, it seems pretty reasonable if,like, a bunch of the guests would be all "omg Keith Urban / Dwight Yoakam/ whatever"

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Uncle Enzo posted:

You've gotta be a pretty irredeemable sack of poo poo not to pay:
-Medical bills
-For your brothers wife
-When you legally have access to money to do so and
-Can easily afford it.

ide rather go to jail for being an irredeemable pos then give my brother in law money. my sister married a convicted sex offender who tampered with her bc and got her preg 3x with what are basically irish triplets and spends all of his paycheck on booze so my sister has to work 80hrs a week at two lovely rear end jobs. she wont leave him because she hated not having a dad and doesnt want to deprive her kids of having one. mean while her first kid is getting verbally abused for being trans by him and their son will flip out and start fighting everyone if he has to watch a disney princess movie with his sisters because thats for girls.

what im saying is not everyone deserves help even if you can afford to.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lucid Nonsense posted:

He's also a white supremacist who just got booted from Youtube and a few other platforms.

Jesus, loving finally!

Like dude's bad enough with his opinions, but also his method of delivery makes me want to punch my monitor.

Midnight Voyager posted:

It was three gemstones though. I don't even know how you'd identify it as a Geek Ring. She didn't even understand it was a geek thing until he literally explained it to her, and she loved it until he did.

I mean yeah, be on the same page if you get someone a geek thing, but this one seemed pretty invisibly geeky.

Yeah, I don't see what the problem is with that ring. The relationship obviously had communication problems of some variety since OP thought GF was a lot more into the show than she was, but that's not a problem with the ring choice. It sounds like an entirely appropriate way to subtly reference a thing that's special to both of them, and OP just didn't realize that the "both of them" part wasn't there. So it's good they did not end up getting married.

Like there's a lot of really goony fans of the show (and maybe OP is one in other aspects) but it's not like Zelda Wedding or anything.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Make it a masquerade, problem solved!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

snergle posted:

ide rather go to jail for being an irredeemable pos then give my brother in law money. my sister married a convicted sex offender who tampered with her bc and got her preg 3x with what are basically irish triplets and spends all of his paycheck on booze so my sister has to work 80hrs a week at two lovely rear end jobs. she wont leave him because she hated not having a dad and doesnt want to deprive her kids of having one. mean while her first kid is getting verbally abused for being trans by him and their son will flip out and start fighting everyone if he has to watch a disney princess movie with his sisters because thats for girls.

If there was anything worse to say about the wife than "she's a bitch, I don't like her", OP would have said more than "she's a bitch, I don't like her".

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

snergle posted:

I feel you. I've got some family members that I'm lucky not to have a legal financial responsibility to or I'd go full Scrooge, too.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If there was anything worse to say about the wife than "she's a bitch, I don't like her", OP would have said more than "she's a bitch, I don't like her".

Yeah, the necklace thing is the only other thing but without knowing how much is in the trust and whose idea it was we can't really determine how egregious that it. Of the brother is of sound mind, not being manipulated, and can afford it then it's not a huge problem.

The house probably has to stay in the trust until the kid is 35 anyway, but the OP didn't answer any questions in the thread and there is so much missing from the narrative that you really can only assume malice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume the brother and the wife know how much money is in the trust so they knew he could afford the $25k necklace and it definitely seemed like a one time request and not like she's asking for crazy expensive jewelry all the time.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

My fiancée speaks very disrespectfully about my parents since we got engaged and I cannot stand it. (30m and 27f)

Respecting my parents and elders has always been very important to me.

I’ll admit my dad isn’t the easiest to get along with and is a character. But he has a warm heart and means well, always.

I’ve been with my now fiancée for a year. She has always been very respectful towards my parents, both in front and away from them. They’re quite old and I think the relationship she has with her parents is a lot closer and friendly, but I admired it about her.

Since we got engaged however, she’s completely changed. I get wedding planning can be a stress but she’s been downright disrespectful to them. She feels they are too involved and seems to even resent them being happy about the wedding. She is sweet to their face but to me she literally chats poo poo about them in a very rude way. I don’t feel there is a reason for this, she just seems to hate them.

I cannot STAND people disrespecting my parents and we have had horrible fights about it where I’ve said some nasty stuff. But I can’t forgive her for the way she’s spoken about them, complete lack of respect that she has no right for. Is this something I should break up with her for? I literally worship the girl but this I cannot stand for.

tldr Since getting engaged, my fiancée has spoken extremely disrespectfully about my parents. I adore her and want to marry her but this is genuinely making me reconsider because I find it disgusting.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

My fiancée speaks very disrespectfully about my parents since we got engaged and I cannot stand it. (30m and 27f)
I give it a 95% chance that the OP is a spineless coward and his parents are awful

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

My (22F) boyfriend (29M) threw away all of my insulin

quote:

I’ve been with my boyfriend for 2 years, living together for 6months.

I’ve been type 1 diabetic for 11 years, if you don’t know a type 1 diabetic can’t live without insulin.

I keep my insulin in a mini fridge by our bed along with my juice boxes.

My boyfriend is extreme on the “natural” cures and genuinely believes cinnamon is the cure to T1D and that with a healthy diet I’d be cured but he respects my medical decisions.

We got into an argument when I told him to go the doctor as he’s had a migraine for a while and he wouldn’t, I left for work and when I came home I saw he’d thrown away all of my insulin.

I’m not due for another prescription till next month but I requested it but because of the day it won’t be approved till Monday and then it’ll take the pharmacy at minimum 4 days to get it as they’ve been slow with prescriptions.

He went out and bought essential oils and told me to try eating healthy and then I’ll see what he means, he doesn’t seem apologetic at all

He knows my diabetes has been harder to control now that I’m pregnant and now I have nothing to bring my sugars down.

I’m furious and hurt but he just doesn’t seem to care.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Batterypowered7 posted:

:eyepop: posted:

He knows my diabetes has been harder to control now that I’m pregnant 

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I feel like that's attempted murder.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lady go to an emergency room for drugs and then to a shelter because

PetraCore posted:

that's attempted murder.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

He's not even apologetic so he'll do it again, get the gently caress out before he gets you killed with his stupidity.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly that $25k necklace doesn't seem insane to me

older bro is being a huge hellfucker about paying for anything for the wife and explicitly will not leave her anything if younger bro dies before 35. younger bro almost certainly asked for that for the sake of leaving her something in the worst case scenario that's worth a decent amount of money.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

honestly that $25k necklace doesn't seem insane to me

older bro is being a huge hellfucker about paying for anything for the wife and explicitly will not leave her anything if younger bro dies before 35. younger bro almost certainly asked for that for the sake of leaving her something in the worst case scenario that's worth a decent amount of money.

Yeah it's a crazy amount of money for any normal person but... If you are only asking for a 25k necklace once out of the millions of dollars you have available that's probably in the scheme of things super not all that out of hand. It's like a normal person spending 500 on something for their wife. And that's it ignoring the whole "hes likely to be dead in 5 years."

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to give my boyfriend parental rights over my children if we marry?

quote:

My boyfriend is technically my ex-husband. We were married, and we tried for years to have children. Getting pregnant wasn't the problem, having a baby was. We had multiple late losses. Genetic testing revealed that the problem was solely on his side, and to have children, we would need a sperm donor.

We argued bitterly over it for a long time, and came to a compromise. I needed a living child. He couldn't deal with using a sperm donor. So we decided to legally divorce. I would go back to my maiden name, have a baby on my own, and after the child was at least sleeping through the night, we could get back together in some capacity. He said he was fine with being a stepfather, but not a father to a non-biological child with all the responsibility.

This happened, and we even moved back in together when my children were 3 (it's been a few years since then). They've since actually bonded. My now boyfriend is talking about getting remarried and is even floating the idea of adopting my children. He says that he's even changed his mind and would be okay with them calling him dad. I'm okay with remarriage, but I DON'T want him getting paternal rights.

My children call him by first name, which he insisted on. I had to do and pay for everything to do with having my children alone. We saw each other a few times during my high risk pregnancy and I gave birth with just my siblings for support. I did 100% of their care as infants to now. I had to learn to parent multiples alone. I have, up until the last year, been their sole financial support. They are MY children. He shouldn't get parental rights because he doesn't deserve them. He put me through hell to have them.

I don't want to basically say that everything that happened was a-ok and let him go back on his insistence when I still have every bit of his decisions affects on me and my life. Some of our friends and his family say that I should be more forgiving and accept that it's "hard for a man" to accept and takes a while, while most of my family agrees with me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And possibly he was trying to get something his wife would be able to sell after he's dead because he knows bro is going to screw her out of all of the money.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to give my boyfriend parental rights over my children if we marry?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I mean parental rights aren't just to assign credit for who did the parenting. What if something happens to you, the kids are just SOL?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

goethe.cx posted:

we did it reddit!

I didn't see the original, just the title and the responses itt, but was the tone substantially more somber, like the OP suspected something bad? I feel like that often happens with the stories that defy expectations where the author really goes hard in on all the bad advice they got, they lean really hard into "this is obviously bad" subtext and then go "surprise, it wasn't, what's wrong with you all?"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

I didn't see the original, just the title and the responses itt, but was the tone substantially more somber, like the OP suspected something bad? I feel like that often happens with the stories that defy expectations where the author really goes hard in on all the bad advice they got, they lean really hard into "this is obviously bad" subtext and then go "surprise, it wasn't, what's wrong with you all?"

Here's the original post itt. It was fairly played up—the whole post is about catching his soon-to-be-fiancee in ONE lie, and suddenly he can hardly stand to look at her—and then of course the update started off lightly shaming people for reading it like the melodrama it was written as.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

pentyne posted:

I'm guessing this guy doesn't piss and poo poo himself in the bed

Hi welcome to the thread I've got some bad news for you about the type of dude in the stories you'll be reading

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

What in the holy hell....

Pretty much this

PS gently caress this time out. Its abuse.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

The buried lede in the trust fund story is that given we know he has CF and has had a double lung transplant already his life expectancy is pretty short and he's not likely to reach 35 and won't have any kids. He's clearly trying to enjoy his remaining life and his older brother is trying to keep most of the money he'll inherit or only let him spend it on assets that will stay in the name of the fund. From the comments I'm pretty sure it's a troll tho

100% a spineless coward, suuure there's absolutely no reason for this abrupt change in behaviour, suuure.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm sorry he couldn't deal with the idea of a sperm donor but was happy with his wife sleeping with some dudes and then getting back together?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for being furious at my GF for rejecting my proposal how she did

quote:

Hi AITA,

I (28M) have been with my GF (33F) for over10 years now and we've lived together for 2.5 years now. We have discussed our future and marriage at length and picked the ring together and everything, the point being that a proposal wasn't out the blue, she knew I wanted to propose just not when. I own an event hall and so whenever our social circle has a large party I always host, as it is convenient for me to do so and I'm more than willing to.

Recently where I live lock-down restrictions were lifted so to celebrate I invited all of our friends and family to celebrate, under the guise that it could serve as a get together after covid as well as a celebration for me and my GF's 10th anniversary, which was a month ago (I know its a bit odd to hold an anniversary celebration before marriage but this was a big milestone so I thought it might be believable).

I contacted all the guests individually and let them know of my plans to propose so that there were no nasty surprises. I also prepared a slideshow of our memories together and a short video that I felt was very special as I essentially talk about why she was so important to me, and it was a whole preparation that would play during/after the proposal.

So when the night comes around (2 nights ago) everything was going well and I was feeling nervous but alright because well I was confident thanks to our discussion prior that it would go smoothly. When I took the knee it went badly, she started crying which didn't stop me because well I thought it was common and when I asked the question she literally said "I'm sorry but no, this isn't as special as I needed this moment to be". I didn't really say anything or even move because I felt humiliated. My entire friend circle and family was watching me and after all the preparations I made and after I poured my heart out I felt like I was told that what I did wasn't good enough in front of so many people who mattered to me. I didn't say anything to her after that but nearly everyone left immediately and after everyone was gone was the first time we interacted, when she asked if I was angry and to be honest I didn't trust myself to have a productive conversation at that point so I told her I was leaving and she was welcome to either come back with me (I drove us down to the hall) or get an uber however she was comfortable.

She has been staying with her parents and honestly the more I think about it and the more I rewatch the video the sadder and the angrier I get. We haven't spoken since she let me know where she was staying and I'm so confused, so please shed some light on the situation.

Edit: already I've been getting a lot of info tags, so I thought I'd clarify what I can. She always wanted her mother and father to be there when I proposed however we never discussed friends. I thought it'd be okay because the only people there were the friends who were incredibly close to either one of us but yes there was no discussion about that aspect.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Algol Star posted:

I'm sorry he couldn't deal with the idea of a sperm donor but was happy with his wife sleeping with some dudes and then getting back together?
Some kind of weird religious/sanctity of marriage thing, maybe? "It's not cheating if we're divorced."

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Some kind of weird religious/sanctity of marriage thing, maybe? "It's not cheating if we're divorced."

Are there people out there who see using a sperm donor as cheating? The only people I've ever seen against it are the usual suspects going 'hurr, raising another man's child'. Maybe it's just some regrets on a powerful self-own.

Evil Willow posted:

Wow, a full decade to find out your GF"s a POS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Batterypowered7 posted:

Holy poo poo. Run. That's not "he just doesn't understand how important this is for me," that's "he is attempting to get away with murder".

PetraCore posted:

I feel like that's attempted murder.

Yyyep. Add in that it happened after they had an argument about whether he should seek medical treatment for a migraine...it's a whole parade of red flags.

I'm surprised the pharmacy didn't give her some insulin to hold her over until her prescription comes in, though - don't they usually do that if going without will be harmful?

Evil Willow posted:

NTA, and he should dump her. If your boyfriend proposing in a hall full of your friends and family isn't special enough, then you were never going to be happy with how he proposed unless you got to script the whole thing.

(ETA: forgot I hadn't finished the whole post.)

tinytort fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 2, 2020