Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

sitchensis posted:

Can't wait to go around my tech house in the evening, plugging all the doorknobs into power outlets with USB-C cables and extension cords
What's the behavior if they run out of power? Let everyone through, or let no one through?

Neither seems ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Koishi Komeiji posted:

No more using a key to unlock and lock your door like a filthy caveman, now there is the always safe and secure Doorknob 2!

https://twitter.com/plastic_gear/status/1276173792901918721

(please don't kick in doorknob 2 with your foot to break in like people have been doing since doors were invented)
Wow, so many ways to use! So many attack vectors!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doorknob 2 is a great username

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sitchensis posted:

Can't wait to go around my tech house in the evening, plugging all the doorknobs into power outlets with USB-C cables and extension cords

Make sure to update all your doorknobs to the latest firmware, they have a tendency to crash after a while otherwise.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Thanatosian posted:

What's the behavior if they run out of power? Let everyone through, or let no one through?

Neither seems ideal.

it runs live current through the latch, obviously

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Fame Douglas posted:

Make sure to update all your doorknobs to the latest firmware, they have a tendency to crash after a while otherwise.

We regret to inform you that doorknob 2 is entering end of life, an automatic patch will be downloaded by 8/30/2020, this patch will disable doorknob 2 and all other viva! core smarthouse apps and peripherals, please discontinue use of all products within this line to maintain continuity of your household

thanks,
the viva! core smarthouse team

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I always wanted my doorknobs to immediately become part of a botnet and mine bitcoins for some teenager in Tashkent.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

We regret to inform you that doorknob 2 is entering end of life, an automatic patch will be downloaded by 8/30/2020, this patch will disable doorknob 2 and all other viva! core smarthouse apps and peripherals, please discontinue use of all products within this line to maintain continuity of your household

thanks,
the viva! core smarthouse team
Pfff, no way. They'll just switch from a one-time purchase system to a monthly subscription system, including all the people that already purchased them under the previous model.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Thanatosian posted:

Pfff, no way. They'll just switch from a one-time purchase system to a monthly subscription system, including all the people that already purchased them under the previous model.

I'm pretty sure both have already happened. Google/Nest bought up and then bricked competition. In some cases after folks had already bought a lifetime sub and within 2 years were informed their smarthome was being shutdown. Like not even just "Yeah we're not supporting this going forward, you can keep using it, but you'll need to upgrade/replace with stuff from our new line" just a flat out "lol sorry you chose the wrong horse" though they offered refunds on Revolv subscriptions, but not the junked hardware.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Koishi Komeiji posted:

No more using a key to unlock and lock your door like a filthy caveman, now there is the always safe and secure Doorknob 2!

(please don't kick in doorknob 2 with your foot to break in like people have been doing since doors were invented)

I’m going to start a place that’s like one of those axe‐throwing ranges or an escape room, but it’s just kicking the poo poo out of doors.

Very cathartic.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Platystemon posted:

I’m going to start a place that’s like one of those axe‐throwing ranges or an escape room, but it’s just kicking the poo poo out of doors.

Very cathartic.

Sounds fun as gently caress.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Very cathartic.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Remember to charge your loving door handle!

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

SardonicTyrant posted:

Remember to charge your loving door handle!
My landlord installed a different brand of this. You had to replace batteries in it, which sucks. If you wait too long it will stop working and lock you out. I'm sure the Lockpicking Lawyer will find a way to open this with a marshmallow or some godamned thing the second he gets his hands on one.

At least mine wasn't wifi enabled. That just opens up a whole new layer of vulnerability.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Oh my loving god, they don't even have the decency to charge through induction coil in the doorframe or contacts in the strike plate or something, you actually have to plug a USB cable into it?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The lever itself could provide enough energy to read a fingerprint and throw the latch. The light‐up keypad feature is an energy hog and should be excised.

There are some wireless doorbells that work this way. The press of the button gives the device enough energy to transmit.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/futurism/status/1278701098627469317?s=19

every time lmao

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.zdnet.com/article/one-out-of-every-142-passwords-is-123456/

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

I'm not sure if its better or worse that the model has no preconceived notions, and can only mimic the training set it was provided. If that training set is stuff people have created, it's very much like looking into a mirror.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

I'm not sure if its better or worse that the model has no preconceived notions, and can only mimic the training set it was provided. If that training set is stuff people have created, it's very much like looking into a mirror.

they took a preexisting big database of English words, which contained slurs, and fed it to a script that would automatically search for each term on Google Images and download the top results

big data tends to be lazy as gently caress

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Koishi Komeiji posted:

In the before times, before Covid, I stayed with my wife at an Airbnb with an electronic doorknob thing similar to this. We were able to open it up with the password provided and moved our bags and car keys into the unit for the night. That night, we came back at about 3am after going to a concert and closing the bars. It was pouring rain when we got to the door for our airbnb. Key note, there was no overhang or anything above the door, so it was just heavy rain right ontop of us. We put in the password to the lock, it flashed green and immediately flashed red and relocked. We tried this a few more times before eventually the door straight up locked us out. It's about 3:30am by this time, sitting on our car (car keys inside the unit) and trying to get on the phone with the host, who was asleep. Long story short, I eventually ended up breaking into the unit through a window, and then unlocking the door from the inside. gently caress those things so much.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Main Paineframe posted:

they took a preexisting big database of English words, which contained slurs, and fed it to a script that would automatically search for each term on Google Images and download the top results

big data tends to be lazy as gently caress

wow i cannot possibly think of how this could have gone so wrong. luckily the big brains at mit are on the case

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Very cathartic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgDoPvr3VT4

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
person on twitter bulk buys cops' bodycams off of ebay with all the footage still on them

https://twitter.com/d0tslash/status/1278458524742361089

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/mikael_jibril/status/1277976058239713280?s=20

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

That is an [ adult swim ] sketch and I will not hear otherwise

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Christ that music was almost as unsettling as the idea itself.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

this has been a thing in sci-fi for what 100 years?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ekuNNN posted:

person on twitter bulk buys cops' bodycams off of ebay with all the footage still on them

https://twitter.com/d0tslash/status/1278458524742361089

Imagine how much of this will end up being things like rape and murder scenes like from intro scene in Strange Days?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
love the baby incubator the size of a lamp

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Wonder how Mikael feels about surrogate mothers

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ah, good old "product design" trying to go all sci-fi.

When I was six I came up with a product design for a spaceship and prototyped it in Lego. It had a seat and a steering wheel and a rocket on the back and even such details as an antenna for the radio. But is it possible to build? Yes, sort of: there are real spaceships, so it's only a matter of time until we're all flying around in my Lego rocketships.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The people rich enough to use that technology, if it ever becomes possible, already have the option to hire a private surrogate.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
maybe this is a canadian thing, but jorp is certainly back.. in my youtube feed

like he went away so shortly and completely after zizek that it was never necessary to clean out my recommendations from that, but even so it went from 0 to jorp very suddenly in the last few days

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Splicer posted:

Wonder how Mikael feels about surrogate mothers

well, as mothers, they'd be sacred

what he is responding to is not the technology, but the vision the video resents, in which motherhood is removed from the human experience in order to facilitate capitalism. we can have the technology and not use it in a dystopian fashion

oddly enough this is a big theme in dune, and that accounts could be riffing on that or be totally authentic

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
although to be clear, i uh, doubt that the company in that video is making claims it can deliver

by which i mean they present a vision which makes theranos seem humble and grounded

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah that at home incubator thing is just more design grift bullshit. It does speak to a sickness in capitalism though, in that rather than envisioning improvements to medical tech as a way to say help people with medical conditions like 'previously this form of cancer would be fatal to a mother and fetus' or as a way to help with preemies, it's about a dumb fetus lamp you can speak to and keep as a chia pet.
I'd have failed them if it was submitted for one of my classes because yeah it's totally just that dumb lego rocket thing. They didn't design anything practical or unique in their design.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imagine if youre having a party and some drunk rear end in a top hat knocks it over

or since youre a weird rich person, just forgetting to feed it when your maid called in sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Carthag Tuek posted:

imagine if youre having a party and some drunk rear end in a top hat knocks it over

or since youre a weird rich person, just forgetting to feed it when your maid called in sick

just buy a new one that looks about the same before the wife notices