Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If I live in a condo, I probably don’t really have to worry about surges right? I mean obviously my electronics are still on consumer surge protectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Are OLEDs the only way to get good, low-latency HDR in game mode? It seems like all the other TVs either disable local dimming in game mode or it adds enough latency to be a dealbreaker.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Those power strip surge things are pretty piddly and usually the last line of defense. Type 1 and Type 2 devices will do more to help for sure, T1 usually needs your power company to install and they often charge a monthly fee. T2 is a whole house protector and sits next to your main external supply. Luckily when I moved in the house I had to have both boxes replaced, so I got them to install one then. Haven't needed it yet. Yet.

A well designed plug in protector has the potential to protect just as well as a whole house protector. It is correct though that the more layers you have the more you can potentially clamp the surge before it gets to the equipment.

However, generally, the order of magnitude difference is so great that if the surge was enough to render a well designed plug in surge protector ineffective, it likely was too much for all the upstream protectors as well in a residential setting. What the upstream protectors do achieve is greater longevity of your plug in surge protectors and some protection for major appliances and light fixtures that you wouldn't have on a surge protector.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Josh Lyman posted:

If I live in a condo, I probably don’t really have to worry about surges right? I mean obviously my electronics are still on consumer surge protectors.

yes, you still do, if you get a lightning strike on a power pole or your cable drop, something goes terribly wrong at a substation, etc you can still get surges.

the more urban an area you live in, and the farther your infrastructure is from a tall hill that gets lots of strikes, probably the less of a problem it is, but in the general sense power surges can happen anywhere.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lightning isn't really a huge cause of power surges anyways since they are rare events. Surges happen in the electric grid (or even inside your home) due to load characteristics.

Outside your house, a transformer exploding due to a curious squirrel or a downed utility line can cause a surge. Inside your house, your AC or fridge cycling can cause a surge.

So, yeah, it's an issue anywhere.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

FilthyImp posted:

Does your remote have a button under the 9 key with three dots?
Try hitting that and then hitting info. It works for some apps.

this works, at least for the appletv, thanks!

now to figure out how to get plex to direct stream 4k hdr content without trying to transcode

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

What was your surge protector and how old was it?

Surge protectors degrade over time due to the small spikes they may see that don't trip them. A good surge protector will shutoff at that point, permanently bricking itself so it has to be replaced since it can't protect anymore but many many on the market do not do that.

I've been replacing all my surge protectors with this guy as I redo cables on stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035PQGKU/

It's one one of the best protecting without going insane overkill and will kill itself when it can no longer protect what's plugged into it.

However, nothing is really going to protect you against a direct strike. If the strike was close enough, nothing short of having everything unplugged was likely going to help.

Ordered one, thanks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

vanilla slimfast posted:

this works, at least for the appletv, thanks!

now to figure out how to get plex to direct stream 4k hdr content without trying to transcode

Have you tried enabling direct play (which I think is enabled by default) and telling it to supply original quality on local network? It's also possible the device profile says it doesn't support whatever kinda content you got, you can try editing the profile manually. I haven't had that problem in a while though.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Dogen posted:

Have you tried enabling direct play (which I think is enabled by default) and telling it to supply original quality on local network? It's also possible the device profile says it doesn't support whatever kinda content you got, you can try editing the profile manually. I haven't had that problem in a while though.

Yeah, direct play is enabled already and works fine for most of my content, it was this 4K HDR file I was testing with that was dropping down to transcoding.

Looking at the Plex Media Server console logs seems to suggest the problem is the inability to handle the audio (TrueHD 7.1) as I'm currently going AppleTV->LG->Onkyo 606 via optical, which can only handle 5.1 AC3/DTS and none of the newer higher-end audio formats. So I suspect that if I had a better signal chain for audio like a modern soundbar or a newer receiver, it would probably work. The 606 is ancient, and doesn't support above HDMI 1.4 which is why it is at the end of the chain now. I just need to replace it

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It should be able to TC the audio and mux that which would not be nearly the hardship of TCing the video

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Check and see if there are other audio formats in your file, probably be a 5.1 track in there also I would hope, select that in Plex.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
Also try setting it to TV internal speakers if you think the TV -> ATV association is causing it to trigger transcoding; I highly doubt it though. The TV should accept the DTS-MA or Dolby True HD without issue and then pass it on via optical as DD. This is what mine was doing over eARC when I had eARC set to auto instead of bitstream (I know it's not the same, but as you can see the TV is capable of transcoding the audio).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, even the best surge protectors are only going to be protecting up to 5,000 volts. A direct strike is going to send literally 1 billion volts into your electrical system.

Is that more or less than 1.1 jigawatts?

Sorry about your TV and other stuff, Wandler, that sucks. :(

bull3964 posted:

Lightning isn't really a huge cause of power surges anyways since they are rare events. Surges happen in the electric grid (or even inside your home) due to load characteristics.

Outside your house, a transformer exploding due to a curious squirrel or a downed utility line can cause a surge. Inside your house, your AC or fridge cycling can cause a surge.

So, yeah, it's an issue anywhere.

I initially read that as an exploding squirrel and if your TV had to go, that's a memorable way for it to do so.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Now that I have this big stupid TV I want to get really loving high and watch 4k HDR (maybe 60fps) wildlife documentaries and look at animals, the sea and earth and poo poo . I have the former part of the previous sentence figured out but what's a good source for the latter?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

beep by grandpa posted:

Now that I have this big stupid TV I want to get really loving high and watch 4k HDR (maybe 60fps) wildlife documentaries and look at animals, the sea and earth and poo poo . I have the former part of the previous sentence figured out but what's a good source for the latter?

BBC Earth documentaries on Netflix.

I own most of them on BluRay, but only the newest ones are 4K UHD. I'm not sure if any of them are HDR though.

And these are the shorts everyone plays when they do screen reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/c/JacobKatieSchwarz

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 2, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Cheap, decent picture quality TV for a 9 year old's bedroom. 40" or less. Should I be looking at Vizio? TCL?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

beep by grandpa posted:

Planet Earth II/Blue Planet II/Dynasties/Our Planet/Seven Worlds, One Planet

Make sure you find/watch the proper versions, by which I mean with the original British narrator Sir David Attenborough instead of whatever dogshit American they have commentating on the versions sold to the States.

Those series I listed are all the ones shot in 4K but if you want more then going back 10/15 years you have Blue Planet, Life, Planet Earth and Frozen Planet which are all 1080p and also stunning.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 2, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

FistEnergy posted:

Cheap, decent picture quality TV for a 9 year old's bedroom. 40" or less. Should I be looking at Vizio? TCL?

Sure. Go hog wild.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Planet Earth II/Blue Planet II/Dynasties/Our Planet/Seven Worlds, One Planet

Make sure you find/watch the proper versions, by which I mean with the original British narrator Sir David Attenborough instead of whatever dogshit American they have commentating on the versions sold to the States.

Those series I listed are all the ones shot in 4K but if you want more then going back 10/15 years you have Blue Planet, Life, Planet Earth and Frozen Planet which are all 1080p and also stunning.

I love nature docs but honestly the 1080p ones just kinda suck on OLED (imo) compared to the new sheit. 4k HDR or bust for nature docs.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
the 43" TCL 43s425 is like $220 and seems well-reviewed. Much better picture quality than the 40" 40s325. I'll probably go with the former since our two main TVs are also TCL.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FistEnergy posted:

the 43" TCL 43s425 is like $220 and seems well-reviewed. Much better picture quality than the 40" 40s325. I'll probably go with the former since our two main TVs are also TCL.

If pic quality is important sure, but we have a 32" Hisense Roku tv gotten for less than $100 on BF (and it still goes on sale at BB regularly) that is in a kids room and it's perfect. But not sure what a 9 year olds needs might.be.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Wife and I are building a home and are 14 days away from closing. The distance from the TV to the couch is going to be pretty substantial (14-16 feet or so) and I'm trying to find the best 75 inch for the buck. Looking at the Samsung Q70t and Q80t. Not sure if the extra $500 is worth stepping up though. Are there any other brands around 2k-2.5k that are worth looking at? Going off of rtings right now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

Wife and I are building a home and are 14 days away from closing. The distance from the TV to the couch is going to be pretty substantial (14-16 feet or so) and I'm trying to find the best 75 inch for the buck. Looking at the Samsung Q70t and Q80t. Not sure if the extra $500 is worth stepping up though. Are there any other brands around 2k-2.5k that are worth looking at? Going off of rtings right now.
I would recommend the P Quantum X 75" but apparently it's discontinued. Sam's Club had it for $1600 and apparently Walmart has 1 left for $2077, but Amazon has refurbs with 90 day warranty for $1489.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 2, 2020

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Josh Lyman posted:

I would recommend the P Quantum X 75" but apparently it's discontinued. Sam's Club had it for $1600 and apparently Walmart has 1 left for $2077, but Amazon has refurbs with 90 day warranty for $1489.

The Amazon refurb option there is coming from Woot, if you go directly to them it's $1380.
https://sellout.woot.com/offers/vizio-px65-g1-or-px75-g1-p-series-quantum-x-4k-tv-1?ref=w_disc

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Xiaomai is now also making OLEDs with LG pannels.

With LG's own falling prices and the fact that Sony, Panasonic, Vizio, and Xiaomai making TVs with their panels, I think it's safe to assume that their manufacturing has gotten very mature. I'm hopeful this means that their next gen plants are close to coming online and we'll have a true next generation panel soon.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Wow this is awesome. I have a Vizio now and it's been kind of underwhelming, but it was also some $500 model we got from Costco when we first moved into our place now. Thank you very much.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
My X900H arrived today. My first impression was being really blown away by the picture quality of the little video that plays after you finish setting up the TV. I am also impressed with how snappy the Android TV interface is.

Is there a way that I can quickly switch between turning HDR on and off? I don't quite understand how the benefit looks yet. I've got it turned on in The Last of Us 2, but... not sure what it's getting me. I mean, I know what HDR is, what it does, but without seeing a quick comparison between the two modes, I don't have the best understanding of the real-world benefit.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Revol posted:

My X900H arrived today. My first impression was being really blown away by the picture quality of the little video that plays after you finish setting up the TV. I am also impressed with how snappy the Android TV interface is.

Is there a way that I can quickly switch between turning HDR on and off? I don't quite understand how the benefit looks yet. I've got it turned on in The Last of Us 2, but... not sure what it's getting me. I mean, I know what HDR is, what it does, but without seeing a quick comparison between the two modes, I don't have the best understanding of the real-world benefit.

If you have Rocket League, there's an option in the settings that lets you run HDR On/HDR Off in a splitscreen. Not sure if any other games offer that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HDR comes from the source, so there's not really anything to toggle on the TV to turn it on and off for an A/B comparison.

You would basically have to go into your PS4 settings and turn it off, but that would probably exit the currently running game.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Check rtings.com for suggested settings for HDR display that will generally be at least a good starting point, although they may not have tested that TV yet, maybe try searching for some avforums threads or something. Some TVs require setting particular inputs to something like 'enhanced mode' to enable HDR input. If you're going through a receiver that may need settings changes to pass it through. Make sure your PS4 is set to output HDR in the options and the HDR settings are configured there. The game itself may have separate HDR calibration than the PS4, so make sure you check for that and do that also if needed.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sony 75" X900F $1,600 shipped

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm trying to figure something out. With both my Switch and Xbox One X connected to my HDR TV, there is some minor color banding when outputting SDR content at RGB Limited. However, if I set them to RGB Full, and adjust my TV's RGB settings accordingly, the color banding goes away. But everyone says you should only use RGB Full if you're connected to a computer monitor, and I thought color banding was related to bit depth and not RGB range. Can anyone explain this further?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

bull3964 posted:

HDR comes from the source, so there's not really anything to toggle on the TV to turn it on and off for an A/B comparison.

You would basically have to go into your PS4 settings and turn it off, but that would probably exit the currently running game.

I think you can turn it off in advanced options within the game itself

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't fired up TLOU2 yet to know, I don't think the first one had the toggle though.

I think I'm going to be re-arranging my office soon (actually moving it to a different room in the house) and getting all new furniture. It's going to be really hard for me not to grab the 48" CX OLED and wall mount it next to the desk to replace my Sony KDL-55W900A that I currently have as my office TV.

It would make the perfect work companion and would be close enough to my computer that I could switch over to it to play controller based games away from the desk. I really just need to see if one of my friends would have a use for my KDL-55W900A.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

I really just need to see if one of my friends would have a use for my KDL-55W900A.

Hey it's me your friend.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Is there a site where you can go and check boxes of features you want and it'll spit out the models that have that stuff?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
65” TCL 8 series for $800 off

https://twitter.com/wirecutterdeals/status/1278776048751202305?s=21

Dogen
May 5, 2002

VERTiG0 posted:

Is there a site where you can go and check boxes of features you want and it'll spit out the models that have that stuff?

It’s this thread instead of checking boxes type what you want and then we spit at you

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Dogen posted:

It’s this thread instead of checking boxes type what you want and then we spit at you

Okay I didn't want to say "what tv do i get" but I guess I can do that.

I'm using an old as hell Samsung UN46C5000 in a fairly brightly lit wide-open livingroom. I'd like to get a new TV to go with the upcoming Xbox Series X, so I want the TV to support the special features that the new Xbox will, like variable refresh rate or Freesync or whatever. All of our non-gaming media consumption is Youtube through a PC (or maybe a Chromecast Ultra with the new TV) and Netflix on Xbox.

I want a 65" model (perfect size for the distance from couch) with HDR support, auto low-latency mode (for gaming), quality local dimming (I assume that my room is too bright for OLED, lots of windows), and VRR which I read is worthwhile. I am not beholden to any brand, and would prefer to keep it under $2500. I had my eye on the Samsung Q80T but I have since read a bunch of stuff that says it is a piece of poo poo since Samsung went and cheapened their 2020 models.

By no means am I a videophile and I think at this point any TV would be better than the 10 year old unit I currently use, but if I'm gonna spend some cash I would like to get another 10 years out of this thing, if possible. Thank you Goons.

{edit} Friend of mine has a 65" Samsung B9 OLED in his basement and it is mindblowingly good, if there is a possibility of a similar picture quality through a TV suitable for a main-floor environment, I'm all ears.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 2, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Q80R: better PQ
Q80T: better gaming (better VRR, although both support it, latency)

Those are basically your choices from what I can discern on rtings and your requested features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

bull3964 posted:

I haven't fired up TLOU2 yet to know, I don't think the first one had the toggle though.

I think I'm going to be re-arranging my office soon (actually moving it to a different room in the house) and getting all new furniture. It's going to be really hard for me not to grab the 48" CX OLED and wall mount it next to the desk to replace my Sony KDL-55W900A that I currently have as my office TV.

It would make the perfect work companion and would be close enough to my computer that I could switch over to it to play controller based games away from the desk. I really just need to see if one of my friends would have a use for my KDL-55W900A.

Please report back if you do get the 48cx, super curious how people are setting it up and getting along with it, generally speaking.