Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I never got the point of dragonrot. When I first started playing I figured it'd happen as a trade-off for using your second life since that makes sense but nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Groovelord Neato posted:

I never got the point of dragonrot. When I first started playing I figured it'd happen as a trade-off for using your second life since that makes sense but nah.

Originally dragonrot would eventually kill NPCs but they took it out. Can imagine how frustrating the game would be then.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Plot-wise that's what it is. Mechanically it doesn't make sense because they don't really want to commit to the concept and have it actually kill people, since that would be a huge PITA gameplay-wise, so they just left it in a weird middle ground.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Aidan_702 posted:

Originally dragonrot would eventually kill NPCs but they took it out. Can imagine how frustrating the game would be then.

So Emma's talk about a previous epidemic is basically her talking about an older version of the game?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Remember in early release when articles were saying that using your resurrection increased dragonrot and advising everyone to avoid a core mechanic of the game? Good times

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Tirranek posted:

So Emma's talk about a previous epidemic is basically her talking about an older version of the game?

Essentially. But there seems to be a lot in this game that was almost made to lead directly to the never-coming dlc. We'll never go back in time and fight Tomoe now ):

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Aidan_702 posted:

Essentially. But there seems to be a lot in this game that was almost made to lead directly to the never-coming dlc. We'll never go back in time and fight Tomoe now ):

Yeah... Elden Ring better be bloody amazing :argh:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I doubt you could even imagine it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just need from to keep making games or else I might as well divest myself of all video game devices and peripherals

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Well, complaining on the internet always helps! I explored around Senpou again, found this blatantly obvious path forward I missed somehow, beat some hysterically easy armored chump, and entered 'pede land. I do not like 'pede land. Naturally I got the gently caress outta there and went and beat Spear guy, who like most living things hates being lit on fire repeatedly until he dies. Who knew it was that easy? I also beat Lady Butterfly after many tries; I got her down to one or two hits away from death several times and kept dying to her horseshit magic chip damage. Then I ran out of snap seeds! Lemme tell you, between the endless barrage of unblockable magic attacks, having to just stop the fight for a minute every time she summons illusions and lose all my posture damage so far, Dragonrot constantly accumulating because I dared to die too many times (at least I have tons of Dragon Tears to heal these poor folks), and that unblockable, near-undodgable slide attack that does 70% of your health, I left that fight with a rather sour taste in my mouth!! Does Wolf just not have any i-frames on his dodge or something? I've only ever dodged attacks by literally not being where they're going to hit rather than any sort of timing, apart from Mikiri counters.

I also found some secret scroll that taught me how to punch fools! It's really overpowered and let me chump the dojo elite guy by just blocking and punching the poor bastard over and over until he got guard-broken. Then I accidentally ran into Genichiro, who was similarly chump-worthy until, well, you know. At least I'm further than I was before!

When I finally killed Lady Butterfly, I killed her without her ever doing any of her bullshit moves by simply standing in her face and always attacking except to deflect her counterattacks. As others have said, being super super aggressive is incredibly powerful. There are a few fights where you need to play defensively, but you can cancel out of just about every attack animation straight into a deflect, so there's often very little reason to stop attacking unless the enemy is actively about to kick your poo poo in with an unblockable attack.

It's a big change from the Souls games - you're basically the boss, and the enemy is the one trying to sneak in hits when they can. Keep up the aggression and you make sure that your enemies are predictable, and make it much, much easier to learn their counterattacks.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Dirk the Average posted:

When I finally killed Lady Butterfly, I killed her without her ever doing any of her bullshit moves by simply standing in her face and always attacking except to deflect her counterattacks. As others have said, being super super aggressive is incredibly powerful. There are a few fights where you need to play defensively, but you can cancel out of just about every attack animation straight into a deflect, so there's often very little reason to stop attacking unless the enemy is actively about to kick your poo poo in with an unblockable attack.

It's a big change from the Souls games - you're basically the boss, and the enemy is the one trying to sneak in hits when they can. Keep up the aggression and you make sure that your enemies are predictable, and make it much, much easier to learn their counterattacks.

And she has a very distinct rhythm. If you are aggressive she will deflect your 3rd? (I think) attack which is your queue to expect a counterattack. Then return to kicking her face in.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Thank all y'all for the tips! I realized I had some fundamental misunderstandings of combat (mostly from misreading very fast loading screens), so I went back and practiced with Henbei RIP, friend :(for a while until I had things down pat. Everyone has fallen with relative ease since! Learning that you can parry anything that isn't a grab was crucial, plus understanding that the real dodge button is (for the most part) X, not O. I also learned the strange timing for the goomba stomp: you just double-tap X instead of trying to time anything; I thought I was just loving things up hardcore. Did they seriously expect you to beat Genichiro that early though? I've since been told to explore all these areas I've long since cleared out :v: I've since beaten the Monkeys, one of the Snake-Eyes, and both Centipede guys. Things are going great!

e: oh yeah, I found out that it's the STEALTH indicators that are color-coded, which I also couldn't tell :v: At least those are context-specific on top of that.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 3, 2020

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Did they seriously expect you to beat Genichiro that early though?

He's an interesting one. Out of all the bosses, I think his sense of difficulty changes the most. If you play through again you'll probably be surprised at how easy he feels.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If I remember correctly on Lady Butterfly you can catch her in a loop by attacking and dodging to her left over and over.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I beat Guardian Ape... twice, and then warped to the only other major area I have yet to complete, beat the other Snake-Eyes lady, and there he IS AGAIN YOU MONKEY gently caress!! I figured the gimmick would be to use that whistle I got from the first encounter, but it doesn't seem to work at all? Am I using it wrong or do I really just gotta git gud and fight two funky monkeys? Also, what happens if you came to this fight first? Is it just not there yet?

Tirranek posted:

He's an interesting one. Out of all the bosses, I think his sense of difficulty changes the most. If you play through again you'll probably be surprised at how easy he feels.

Once I came to grips with the combat, he was definitely much less difficult than initially perceived, but still quite a challenge. I can't imagine doing it without the boosted stats I got from exploring other areas first, since the game seems to expect him to be your like, third or fourth boss??

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 3, 2020

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat Guardian Ape... twice, and then warped to the only other major area I have yet to complete, beat the other Snake-Eyes lady, and there he IS AGAIN YOU MONKEY gently caress!! I figured the gimmick would be to use that whistle I got from the first encounter, but it doesn't seem to work at all? Am I using it wrong or do I really just gotta git gud and fight two funky monkeys? Also, what happens if you came to this fight first? Is it just not there yet?

That's right it just doesn't exist. I did it in the reverse order and almost completely missed that extra boss as a result!

The whistle doesn't have any effect sadly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

You're not far from how the whistle and the apes are related, but it's not in the fight- other tools might help. And no, it's not there yet if you haven't beat that boss yet

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Same, i ended up fighting him back to back. I don't know about the whistle but the firecrackers still work and really hurt the 2nd one.

The 2nd fight isn't there and I usually go that way for first to unlock the sculptures so I can skip it on later playthroughs.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

temple posted:

Same, i ended up fighting him back to back. I don't know about the whistle but the firecrackers still work and really hurt the 2nd one.

The 2nd fight isn't there and I usually go that way for first to unlock the sculptures so I can skip it on later playthroughs.

I've used the firecrackers when applicable, even in the first encounter, and yet they somehow completely left my mind once I got the whistle. Thank you for reminding me they exist! :downs: I love the foreshadowing in the memory text for the first Guardian Ape fight... The bonds of love are too strong to be broken by a mere whistle!

e: where's that guy who had the "I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH" avatar? Also: I want to make a meme of a JPG of a monkey slowly becoming transparent as a terror gauge rises :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 3, 2020

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Once I came to grips with the combat, he was definitely much less difficult than initially perceived, but still quite a challenge. I can't imagine doing it without the boosted stats I got from exploring other areas first, since the game seems to expect him to be your like, third or fourth boss??

Even if you replay the game from scratch and going straight to him, I reckon you will still kick his rear end. The game changes you :D

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Groovelord Neato posted:

If I remember correctly on Lady Butterfly you can catch her in a loop by attacking and dodging to her left over and over.

IMO 3 swings, she deflects, you deflect, repeat. If she's against a wall it works. Otherwise, she might jump away and you continue again.

Tirranek posted:

Even if you replay the game from scratch and going straight to him, I reckon you will still kick his rear end. The game changes you :D
Fighting him without mikiri counter is kinda hard. Especially when you are used to having it. But after that, he's really robotic.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Beating Genichiro in the prologue on NG+ is an eye-opening moment where you realize the game does in fact have a difficulty curve, even if it felt like it was constantly the same level of difficult the whole way through. Really makes you appreciate the design of the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I beat Genichiro on NG+ but I used four flask charges. Would have gotten owned just as hard with the starting life bar.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
so after NG+ i started a new file and thought "I'm totally going to beat Genichiro this time!" and then almost immediately died because i forgot you don't start with Mikiri. Good times.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

wyoming posted:

so after NG+ i started a new file and thought "I'm totally going to beat Genichiro this time!" and then almost immediately died because i forgot you don't start with Mikiri. Good times.

That got me a few times as well. It's kinda annoying since you have to quit game and replay the entire beginning to get another shot. :v:

It's very satisfying when you beat his rear end on Lv.0 tho

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Tirranek posted:

Yeah, I clowned on him in the prologue in ng3 because the arena is big. Still proud of that though.

He is like ornstein and smough in that its a huge fight the first time but later they become totally manageable.

It also helps that no matter where you are in the game you're only at most 3 hours from fighting Genichiro.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Where are some good places to farm for cash? I just got back to Ashina Castle and these guys with the red hats are pretty easy to stealth-kill and drop a decent chunk of money, but is there a faster place than just running up and down these stairs over and over killing these 4 guys?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Where are some good places to farm for cash? I just got back to Ashina Castle and these guys with the red hats are pretty easy to stealth-kill and drop a decent chunk of money, but is there a faster place than just running up and down these stairs over and over killing these 4 guys?

Is your game at sunset, or night time?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

BioThermo posted:

Is your game at sunset, or night time?

Just sunset still.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

There's a stealth-killable purple ninja in the dojo that takes probably 10 seconds to kill and respawn, which would probably be the best gold per minute, but significantly better options open up once you move on to the area that comes after sunset ashina castle.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
If you haven't killed the Chained Ogre in the castle yet, you can use the Antechamber idol to stealth kill the blue samurai and ninja, drop down to the chained ogre, aggro the red hats and let them get killed by the ogre.

If you have the golden vortex fan upgrade, you can use it to insta-kill the senpou monks and get 2x item drops from them. Great method for farming sugars if you use them. The golden vortex tool works well on the red hats too since they can be backstabbed after every use, but it uses a lot of emblems.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I discovered both of those methods, ground out a ton of cash, and finally got around to upgrading my tools. I was like 1-2 tiers behind on everything just because of a lack of cash... I had to buy the status gourds, man!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Did they seriously expect you to beat Genichiro that early though?

Not necessarily, in addition to being able to get 'halfway' into 3 other areas, you can also optionally go to Hirata. His fight is positioned at the top of this very enticing area though, and at the literal center of everything and every story progression note...so it's basically saying "come at me when you're ready", which may as well be the entire theme of the game. You can do a lot of stuff in the orbit of him before you actually fight him proper, but you can't get the actual keys to progression without beating him. Whether you gain the skills to defeat him from Drunkard, LB, the crazy twinblade monks, or the centipede warriors, is kind of up to you. It's a really unique structure and another way in which the game really walks a tightrope of skill management that must've been a real challenge to balance during playtesting.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Not necessarily, in addition to being able to get 'halfway' into 3 other areas, you can also optionally go to Hirata. His fight is positioned at the top of this very enticing area though, and at the literal center of everything and every story progression note...so it's basically saying "come at me when you're ready", which may as well be the entire theme of the game. You can do a lot of stuff in the orbit of him before you actually fight him proper, but you can't get the actual keys to progression without beating him. Whether you gain the skills to defeat him from Drunkard, LB, the crazy twinblade monks, or the centipede warriors, is kind of up to you. It's a really unique structure and another way in which the game really walks a tightrope of skill management that must've been a real challenge to balance during playtesting.

I noticed and deeply appreciate that. He's definitely a test to really apply the combat skills you're forced to learn: no more fumbling around and mashing, it's time to Git Gud and properly engage with the game's systems. Everything since has actually been (relatively) easy, apart from a few speedbumps here and there, but now a new enemy is a chance to learn and improve rather than a terrifying impediment. That being said, I accidentally explored almost all the game before climbing the castle, even so far as to find the note from Isshin (what's up with that, anyway? It never let me give it to Emma like it said to) but not actually did I bother to go to the rooftop :v:

Also I'm at the Fountainhead Palace now and oh my god they drop so much money

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Also I'm at the Fountainhead Palace now and oh my god they drop so much money

Congrats on beating the monk! How was that fight for you?

Also, if you ever need to get some extra xp / money / lumps of wax, there's a pretty small circuit starting from a shrine called Mibu Manor. You can take out about six of the nobles in about 30 seconds then rinse and repeat.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Tirranek posted:

Congrats on beating the monk! How was that fight for you?

Also, if you ever need to get some extra xp / money / lumps of wax, there's a pretty small circuit starting from a shrine called Mibu Manor. You can take out about six of the nobles in about 30 seconds then rinse and repeat.

The monk was a great fight! The first time I fought her I even thought 'what a fun, straight-forward, mechanically intensive fight', and then she comes back for a rematch to let me test what I've learned again, plus some new tricks. I unfortunately took a few more tries than I'd like to admit; I was feeling a little ill and tired and my reflexes were not quite on point so I flubbed a ton of counters and dodges, but I pulled through in not too many attempts.

Good to know about more farming circuits, although all I really need these days is raw cash, and I'm getting it in spades :eyepop: Bell Demon only boosts item drops though, nothing else, right?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The monk was a great fight! The first time I fought her I even thought 'what a fun, straight-forward, mechanically intensive fight', and then she comes back for a rematch to let me test what I've learned again, plus some new tricks. I unfortunately took a few more tries than I'd like to admit; I was feeling a little ill and tired and my reflexes were not quite on point so I flubbed a ton of counters and dodges, but I pulled through in not too many attempts.

Good to know about more farming circuits, although all I really need these days is raw cash, and I'm getting it in spades :eyepop: Bell Demon only boosts item drops though, nothing else, right?

Yeah it's a good one. All her sweeps set me up nicely for Dancer in DS3 :D

As far as I know, yeah. Apparently using it for farming then seitcing it off for bosses is a common thing.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just went and killed all these Headless and Shichimen Warriors completely forgetting that Divine Confetti is a thing :doh: At least the next ones will feel a lot easier!!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I just went and killed all these Headless and Shichimen Warriors completely forgetting that Divine Confetti is a thing :doh: At least the next ones will feel a lot easier!!

You killed the headless without confetti? You drat masochist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I am not good enough to beat Sword Saint Isshin or the Demon of Hatred :stonklol: I dunno what else there is to do though apart from fight these underwater Headless, which seems irritating. I never found where the surgeons went to or what to do with these Treasure Carp scales or Snake God hearts, though; guess I'll poke around the game world a little more and try to find some more secrets? I can't think of anywhere I haven't explored yet though!