Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TrixRabbi posted:

But like, let's actually imagine Tucker as a populist candidate instead of a talking head on a cable show. Does he cut to people's emotions in the same way that Trump does or Hillary did or Bernie did or gently caress it, even Biden has a connection to people believe it or not as a dude who is quote unquote "real" or is at the least reminiscent of a nostalgic recent past. I dunno, I'm spitballing here, Tucker could very well find the way to pivot and do this well, but he could also be talked up as the Perfect Candidate the way this same party establishment was anticipating Jeb Bush would dominate in 2016 and then it could all crumble down because people realize he's just some rich TV dinner trust fund shithead.
yeah you might be right. let's stick him up on a podium and compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXGoWtK1NnY

Morbus
May 18, 2004

he doesn't have secret service protection yet

just sayin

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

2024 GOP Primary: Tucker Carlson, Matt Gaetz, Tom Cotton, Dan Crenshaw, Roy Moore, Thomas Hodgson, Joe Arpaio, David Duke, Omarosa, someone claiming to be Q who has convinced roughly 65% of Qanon people he's legit, A dog that can play football and stands for the national anthem, Donald Trump

"Someone claiming to be Q" inaccurately implies that at least half of these people won't be claiming to be Q.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

watching fuckin Tucker Carlson coherently articulate Orwell's thesis on the use and control of language to limit peoples' conceptual capacity sure is some poo poo

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

yeah, this guy has "it" which is terrifying. i dont really see that in cotton and some of the other idiots. crenshaw is more subdued and real, but if carlson does this poo poo on the debate stage, he's in.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

An actual Old School Patrician type might clown on Tucker Carlson, but all of the people running in 2024 will be Qanons, Chuddy military vets or cops, or Nikki Haley. Even hardcore conservative puppets like Cruz and Rubio have no path in the current iteration of the party. If you think Carlson can't out wit and out speak all of these people you are in a rude surprise. He also will have the eyes and ears of an increasingly old GOP boomer base that will be spending more and more time watching Fox News thanks to all the riots, bread lines, and mass shootings that'll take place under a Biden administration.

Carlson will just have to practice avoiding the whinier parts of his voice and responding to provocation better.

KaptainKrunk has issued a correction as of 23:45 on Jul 3, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

"Someone claiming to be Q" inaccurately implies that at least half of these people won't be claiming to be Q.

One of them's going to claim to be JFK Jr

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The only reason Kid Rock isn't a senator right now is Kid Rock so let's hope Tucker just prefers the cushy TV gig.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Morbus posted:

he doesn't have secret service protection yet

just sayin

tell that to the mods

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
everybody thinks a competent fascist like carlson would win but he'll lose the primary to kanye west or tekashi69

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
as other people have mentioned the only solace is that this is 4 years away and that is a very, very long time these days.

also I thought crenshaw was pro-"immigration" which puts him at odds with people like carlson.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah 4 years is a hell of a lot of time in hellworld, so I wouldn't completely freak about him just yet

But whatever GOP demon will come out of the 2024 primary is probably going to be as bad as him if not worse, as it is. Its just not guaranteed he is going to be that demon.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah 4 years is a hell of a lot of time in hellworld, so I wouldn't completely freak about him just yet

But whatever GOP demon will come out of the 2024 primary is probably going to be as bad as him if not worse, as it is. Its just not guaranteed he is going to be that demon.

I've got my money on shrieking white hot sphere of rage https://politics.theonion.com/after-obama-victory-shrieking-white-hot-sphere-of-pure-1819595330

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

he's in the white house right now

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

vyelkin posted:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

euphemism posted:

yeah, this guy has "it" which is terrifying. i dont really see that in cotton and some of the other idiots. crenshaw is more subdued and real, but if carlson does this poo poo on the debate stage, he's in.
i dunno... i think trixrabbi convinced me... what he WOULD be good at -- and what he is -- is a court adviser, not a king.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 10:46 on Jul 4, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the point about the right-wing id needing a strong daddy figure -- which tucker isn't -- when the stakes get real stuck with me. tucker is a tremendous elitist snob (in reality) who despises the proles because they have crumbs in their beds, and he inherited a frozen-food fortune and lives like he imagines an aristocrat would live, and he humors the anti-capitalist left in a similar way. not because he IS a closeted leftist, but because he's comfortable and secure enough in who is, that for him it's a sorta machiavellian intellectual exercise. he's calvin candie. there are some idiot social democrats of the /r/stupidpol variety who do get wowed by someone with money and power humoring some of their ideas, but once tucker gets bored he'll stab them in the throat and shout "you idiot! what did you expect was going to happen!?"

we might see more appeal than there is, because a lot of us are intellectual nerds. but i dunno. he's still calvin candie. i'd rather not be proven wrong by events!

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
cucker tarlson

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

this could be a response to losing advertisers by boasting about tucker's reach:

a cop sounds like the rapist you say

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The New Yorker posted:

After college, he tried and failed to persuade the C.I.A. to employ him; the real-life agency, unlike its fictional counterparts, prefers not to hire young men who are gabby and insubordinate. (source)

oh sure this had to be the one time the CIA (supposedly) didn't hire a rich failson

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

comedyblissoption posted:

tucker is willing to criticize slavish market ideology and tell his viewers that he agrees with aoc that 18+% credit card interest rates are too high

strasserism will be overwhelmingly popular with the american public when the alternative is being austerity scolded as bezos ascends to trillionaire

2024: Trillionaire neolibs vs strasserites :ughh:, presented as a legitimate contest by msnbc

I just wanted affordable healthcare guys

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

A4R8 posted:

2024: Trillionaire neolibs vs strasserites :ughh:, presented as a legitimate contest by msnbc

I just wanted affordable healthcare guys

You'll get it if you're white by then.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Forceholy posted:

You'll get it if you're white by then.

It win't be to white people. Thats unconstitutional and racist and wrong and has no place in the party of Luncoln. It will be to something with an extremely high correlation to whiteness like certain zip codes, or a love of pleated jeans.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

euphemism posted:

cotton and crenshaw are basically bush era neocons. boring and representing an old dead ideology. not comparable to tucker.

Sheng-Ji Yang has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Jul 4, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

as someone who (very occasionally) tucks I'm glad we're finally getting some hot, sticky representation in the white house. remember to shave!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
After electing a reality TV show host as president, I guess electing a cable news talking head isn't that long of a walk.

Also it would be really funny/"funny" if FNC had a bunch of hot mic recordings of other potential 2024 candidates that they used as blackmail to clear the way for Carlson.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
we deserve tucker bring it on

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It win't be to white people. Thats unconstitutional and racist and wrong and has no place in the party of Luncoln. It will be to something with an extremely high correlation to whiteness like certain zip codes, or a love of pleated jeans.

Also they won't actually follow through in anything serious

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Why would he run for president

THS
Sep 15, 2017

a.lo posted:

Why would he run for president

you get to have two airplanes

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
He's poo poo, perfectly hosed, deserving only condemnation (perdition, even)

THS
Sep 15, 2017

press secretary michael tracey

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

i dunno... i think trixrabbi convinced me... what he WOULD be good at -- and what he is -- is a court adviser, not a king.

yeah, like the thing I’m thinking about is what the average GOP voter is attracted to these days and I legit see them being more likely but to latch on to someone claiming to be Q or like Ted Nugent. I mean, Bush had that good ol’ boy, want to have a beer with him quality that masked that he was a coastal elite from Yale. Then McCain and Romney got through with the establishment backing and ate poo poo against Obama.

like, Tucker has celebrity. poo poo there’s even the familiarity where it feels more natural to call him by his first name than his last. so that shouldn’t be discounted. but he absolutely strikes me as a guy who pulls the strings rather than being the face. his cable show is the perfect place to do that, and the right loves him cause he says what they want to hear. but that video that was posted, yeah it’s scary, but it’s also more of a dinner party, think tank type of speech than the type of populist, emotional rallying that Trump has conditioned the base to need. Maybe COVID + 4 years of Biden does a reset, who knows, but I don’t know how they just snap back to accepting decorum ever again when half of them legit believe Hillary and Obama eat children alive for their spinal fluid.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

It would be so ridiculously easy to poo poo on him as a fail son of privileged and a water-carrier for elite billionaire interests.

Which is why the democrats will never do it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

A guy like Trump would bully Tucker straight out of the race, a guy like Biden would just get repeatedly owned

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

They tried to blame the great recession on Obama. A lot of the GOP's appeal in 2024 will depend on how much poo poo gets worse between now and January, and how able people are to remember it until then.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

It would be so ridiculously easy to poo poo on him as a fail son of privileged and a water-carrier for elite billionaire interests.

Which is why the democrats will never do it.

he gets really mad when it gets brought up too

like red faced mad

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

oxsnard posted:

it's funny to mock his dumb face but Tucker Carlson is legit smarter than almost every republican in Washington

Correct but he's still incredibly dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

vyelkin posted: