Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

Dustcat posted:

what would be the point of that

the point of testing is so you can detect cases and track down contacts and then monitor them

even in the us where we're overwhelmed you can still at least tell people they've got it so they can self isolate, for what little good that does

random sampling the entire population would be completely giving up on even the appearance of trying to contain it

its not containable at this point without a shelter in place order. LA is looking at 1k+ cases a day, if you went and contact traced you'd wind up locking down >50% of the city anyways. at least a random sample would give you a proper infection rate and let you figure out how many people are gonna have their lungs liquefy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Squizzle posted:

also looking w hope toward the annihilation of college

Fixed that for you

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

basically nobody is wearing masks here anymore and everybody is going about as things are more or less totally normal, lmao. Our city probably had the highest compliance in the state during the initial wave of restrictions too

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I went to the grocery and liquor stores today and everyone was masked and working to stay out of each other's way :)

But Rocks Hurt Head has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Jul 3, 2020

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OspOpY4zzMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY6PcISpObU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abDUWHMj_fY

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

it's gonna be super fuckin funny to see both colleges and sports leagues dropping all pretenses and doing a roaring OPEN'ER UP because the first ones to offer televised sports or in person college experiences are going to make a loving killing because the demand for them is so incredibly high

sports and colleges require willing athletes and students to operate

contact sports and college dormitories will spread covid uncontrollably and everyone involved will balk unless forced at gunpoint

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

pool testing is a thing!

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/07/03/dr-deborah-birx-urges-florida-to-start-pool-testing-for-coronavirus/

“One way is going into neighborhoods and testing whole families into a single tube,” Birx said. “If anybody is positive, you would go back and use your contact tracing to test everyone in the household.”

She said it would also be cost-effective in a school setting.

“It can also be used in screening large numbers of school students.” she said. “You can put 10 into one tube. You can do a classroom with three tests.”

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rhesus Pieces posted:

sports and colleges require willing athletes and students to operate

contact sports and college dormitories will spread covid uncontrollably and everyone involved will balk unless forced at gunpoint

Gunpoint = Taking their money/scholarships away.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

Bulgakov posted:

lol i haven't been up to date and so now this is old but i laffed

drat hes good

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

cant wait to see all the chuds claiming a medical exemp[tion

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

college athletes are already coerced to play for free with extremely high probability of grievous injury and brain damage

covid seems abstract by comparison

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Epic High Five posted:

basically nobody is wearing masks here anymore and everybody is going about as things are more or less totally normal, lmao. Our city probably had the highest compliance in the state during the initial wave of restrictions too

You will likely deal with what we are dealing with very shortly. my part of the state shut down very early when we had 1 or 2 cases. No dine in, no bars, no gyms, etc. We had minimal cases for three months mainly nursing homes and jails. Then we started opening up...

Brunch places are packed and have lines of people waiting. Everyone stops wearing masks. Childcare opens but doesn’t require masks. You get the picture.

Every child care facility that has tried to open up has had a case within a week and shut down again. A nearby city has had multiple days with 15-25% positive test rate. Two factories in the area have had 200+ case outbreaks.

Three loving months and we had a handful of new cases each week. Yes, it sucked to be stuck inside. Yes there were people who were absolutely having financial issues due to it. But the virus was pretty much in check. It was probably unsustainable because the government was doing gently caress-all to help everyone struggling financially.

Now we have +thousands of cases in the last week. And it’s not going to get better. And the government is still going to do gently caress-all about it. My wife and I are lucky that we can work from home and just pull our kid out of school for the year and homeschool her. But that’s not the case for lots of our friends and family. This poo poo is going to linger and gently caress the country up and everyone is just shrugging their shoulders and saying “Oh well, we tried nothing and nothing is changing. Guess we all just need to get used to random crippling illness and death. But hey, endless apps, am I right?”

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
it's kinda like herpes, you just gotta learn to live with it

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Bulgakov posted:

lol i haven't been up to date and so now this is old but i laffed

lmao

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

wow this fixes everything

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
APPLEBEES APPS 2 FOR 20 SPECIAL :swoon: :toot: :911:

im getting the double deep fried blooming onions and you libs cant stop me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cowpocalypse posted:

it's kinda like herpes, you just gotta learn to live with it

my favorite theory about all of this is how there's this one weird treatment for syphilis where you like, i forget exactly, but you intentionally infect the patient with some tropical disease and it raises body temp and kills syphilis, and then you kill that tropical disease with hydroxychloroquine, and thats why trump loves the ol HC so much

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Squizzle posted:

i hope that covid destroys the nfl entirely and its assets are sold off to provide for the care of the players whose bodies and brains were destroyed for entertainment money

oh my god is that Vince McMahon’s music???

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Cowpocalypse posted:

it's kinda like herpes, you just gotta learn to spread it as much as possible

ftfy

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

if you missed red lentils last time go grab some for beanhoard while you can

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

daddy trump killing me and my friends for the lulz. thats a win. updooted and gilded.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

There is going to need to be some serious civic pageantry to accompany the impending mass death

Excited to see what the egg heads cook up

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
edie brickell getting a lot of play at the WH lately I see

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/abc7newsbayarea/status/1279190621912096769?s=20

“we opened the floodgate” :ca:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Jonny 290 posted:

my favorite theory about all of this is how there's this one weird treatment for syphilis where you like, i forget exactly, but you intentionally infect the patient with some tropical disease and it raises body temp and kills syphilis, and then you kill that tropical disease with hydroxychloroquine, and thats why trump loves the ol HC so much

Pyrotherapy with malaria. It took the 100% death rate of syphilus to about 15% death rate of quinine treating malaria. It was a revolutionary treatment...

...100 years ago. We have real medicine now.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Egg Moron posted:

There is going to need to be some serious civic pageantry to accompany the impending mass death

Excited to see what the egg heads cook up

i want some kind of pre-memorial for those who will die to save our economy, like "you. you're listening to this message now, and you've been selected to die to keep our nation strong, and we salute you."

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Armacham posted:

I'm internet shopping for face shields for my ICU nurse wife right now, because Banner is making them mandatory starting Monday, but they won't actually issue her any more and her shield she was issued in March is falling apart.

found any good options? i need a recommendation.

for that matter, where are people getting their N95 masks lately?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Xaris posted:

APPLEBEES APPS 2 FOR 20 SPECIAL :swoon: :toot: :911:

im getting the double deep fried blooming onions and you libs cant stop me

yes but how many margaritas too

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is so incredibly far beyond criminally negligent

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

I look forward to football season every year. It's one of the few media things that I enjoy and engage with. I enjoy watching baseball too. Watching sports at the bar is something I can do in any town in America, and find a way to relate to the people around me. People can get invested in the drama of a game on a lot of levels, and win or lose, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. It's a magical thing and I totally get why people build large parts of their identity and lives around it. It's an important part of millions of people's lives.

BUT!

I don't think players and staff should be forced to endanger themselves even more than usual or face serious financial, career and legal repercussions for making decisions to protect their well-being. I don't think deliberately harming players and fans can possibly be 'good for the game' in a way that outweighs cancelling or modifying a season being 'bad for the game'.

I have no sympathy for jerk-rear end owners losing part of their profits, either. Pay the players, pay the staff, pay stadium employees, gently caress the bosses.

How is this hard? It's almost like professional sports represents something beyond a love of the game for a lot of people. Something they feel very threatened by the thought of losing.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

quote:

"We literally just opened the floodgate and let the virus do what it wants to do. The virus wants to find ways to have person-to-person transmission so it can proliferate once again and that's exactly what it did.

i like how it makes it seem like the rona is like a neural parasite tat controls you like mind control. the virus gets into your brain and makes u zombie shamble to a bar and drink pbrs while spitting into eachothers mouths and eye balls to speed the infection. thats epic. only way to remove it is cerebral bore from turok

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is so incredibly far beyond criminally negligent

rule of thumb for predicting the federal response is to anticipate the worst possible course of action and then be surprised when they do something somehow even worse

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Frances Nurples posted:

I look forward to football season every year. It's one of the few media things that I enjoy and engage with. I enjoy watching baseball too. Watching sports at the bar is something I can do in any town in America, and find a way to relate to the people around me. People can get invested in the drama of a game on a lot of levels, and win or lose, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. It's a magical thing and I totally get why people build large parts of their identity and lives around it. It's an important part of millions of people's lives.

BUT!

I don't think players and staff should be forced to endanger themselves even more than usual or face serious financial, career and legal repercussions for making decisions to protect their well-being. I don't think deliberately harming players and fans can possibly be 'good for the game' in a way that outweighs cancelling or modifying a season being 'bad for the game'.

I have no sympathy for jerk-rear end owners losing part of their profits, either. Pay the players, pay the staff, pay stadium employees, gently caress the bosses.

How is this hard? It's almost like professional sports represents something beyond a love of the game for a lot of people. Something they feel very threatened by the thought of losing.

u can watch dota, like a baws.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So, everyone in the US will have it in what, 2 or 3 years? Learning to live with it!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
there will be no shutdown 2.0 unless j-pow prints a bazillion dollars to every state

which it wont

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

smarxist posted:

i want some kind of pre-memorial for those who will die to save our economy, like "you. you're listening to this message now, and you've been selected to die to keep our nation strong, and we salute you."

Yeah! That's the kind of poo poo I'm talking about

And punch it up with some of those weird rear end dance routines like in the running man

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

So, everyone in the US will have it in what, 2 or 3 years? Learning to live with it!!!

pretty pathetic if u dont alrezdy have it. read the room bitch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Saucer Hovers posted:

if you missed red lentils last time go grab some for beanhoard while you can

wow I'm making red lentil curry right now you read my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

there will be no shutdown 2.0 unless j-pow prints a bazillion dollars to every state

which it wont

There's going to be a shutdown one way or another

We can have a voluntary shutdown or we can have an involuntary one when the economy craters