Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Hodgepodge posted:

well, as mothers, they'd be sacred

what he is responding to is not the technology, but the vision the video resents, in which motherhood is removed from the human experience in order to facilitate capitalism. we can have the technology and not use it in a dystopian fashion

oddly enough this is a big theme in dune, and that accounts could be riffing on that or be totally authentic

Someone didn't read Chapterhouse: Dune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
I'm more interested in the lamb-in-a-bag, conveniently packaged and ready for sous vide. I wonder if you can genetically engineer them to have curry proteins, too

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Uterine replicators are very popular with a certain kind of feminist sci-fi writer. Honestly, I can see the social/medical merits of pregnancy without the pregnancy.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/acosta/status/1279168956339798018?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Uterine replicators are the dream of the antiabortion crowd. It would push the date of “viability”, or when the fœtus can survive outside the body, to a very early date and effectively outlaw abortion in the United States and anywhere else that uses fœtal viability as a criterion.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

okay you're just showing off with those fancy letters

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The angriest I’ve ever made a person on this forum is when I coöpted The New Yorker’s practice of using diæreses to denote distinct vowels.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
i looked it up out of curiosity, and the major religion most explicitly cool with surrogacy is also the one that doesn't consider procreation a moral duty (Buddhism)

i looked at surrogacy because it's the closest practical equivalent to reproductive technology in a premodern context

also just going to acknowledge that in practice this would not always have been liberating, it doesn't really matter how it's being justified if you're a concubine whose entire value in life depends on producing a boy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
there's a ton of surrogacy in the bible, in the sense that when the woman is barren, the man has to gently caress someone else you see

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Onan’s crime wasn’t flogging the bishop; it was not giving knocking up his brother’s widow the old college try.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
there’s also the fact businesses would drop ladies who couldn’t or wouldn’t use the baby microwaves because you don’t need maternity leave if you don’t carry the baby

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Platystemon posted:

The angriest I’ve ever made a person on this forum is when I coöpted The New Yorker’s practice of using diæreses to denote distinct vowels.

Listen

They were right.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Uterine replicators are the dream of the antiabortion crowd. It would push the date of “viability”, or when the fœtus can survive outside the body, to a very early date and effectively outlaw abortion in the United States and anywhere else that uses fœtal viability as a criterion.

the antiabortion crowd will fight fetal incubators harder than they fight abortion or contraception

the whole point is to subjugate women and to punish them for having sex

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tulip posted:

Listen

They were right.

Trap sprung.

Failing to appreciate style is one thing, but getting angry about it? That’s a red flag.

I keep doing it because it serves a purpose like the brown M&M clause in the Van Halen contract.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dustcat posted:

the antiabortion crowd will fight fetal incubators harder than they fight abortion or contraception

the whole point is to subjugate women and to punish them for having sex

They’ll want them to exist but be unattainable to the masses. You know, like abortion itself.

Drive all the clinics out of Texas, but thank God they can fly their mistresses to California to spin out their spawn.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Carthag Tuek posted:

there's a ton of surrogacy in the bible, in the sense that when the woman is barren, the man has to gently caress someone else you see

im no expert but google seemed to think this happens once and it doesn't work out

although there is the case of a man acting as a surrogate father for a dead brother- this was a common and important thing. for example, Onan's sin wasn't jerking off, it was attempting to dispossess his brother's widow and presumptive heirs by trying to game the law by pulling out. mary and Joseph were in a similar relationship, and it is used to frame Joseph's relationship with Jesus- basically it wouldn't be unusual for the woman in this arrangement to already be pregnant with her original husband's kid, so jesus not being joseph's biological son isn't abnormal or a threat to his status in the family, but a normal part of a jewish man's responsibilities to his family.

that case is not usually what is considered, but i did do a pretty surface level take on it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1279163013824643072

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Platystemon posted:

such naïveté

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

how many video games is killer mike going to be in

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Onan’s crime wasn’t flogging the bishop; it was not giving knocking up his brother’s widow the old college try.

the sinning onan vs the virtuous hunter biden

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hodgepodge posted:

well, as mothers, they'd be sacred

what he is responding to is not the technology, but the vision the video resents, in which motherhood is removed from the human experience in order to facilitate capitalism. we can have the technology and not use it in a dystopian fashion

oddly enough this is a big theme in dune, and that accounts could be riffing on that or be totally authentic
Then he'd be saying parenthood is sacred. Focussing entirely on the mother's role here (and tbh using the word sacred is also throwing up flags) makes it seem less about the grossly twee presentation and child-as-conversation-piece aspect (which already happens, there's unlimited examples of men treating women as incubators) and more about the entire concept of artificial incubation.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fried Watermelon posted:

Killer Mike Death Stranding dlc when

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Fried Watermelon posted:

Not enough.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Is killer mike the dude who wore a KILL YOUR MASTERS shirt while making a speech about how everyone should obey their masters?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
the killer is killer mike

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Splicer posted:

Then he'd be saying parenthood is sacred. Focussing entirely on the mother's role here (and tbh using the word sacred is also throwing up flags) makes it seem less about the grossly twee presentation and child-as-conversation-piece aspect (which already happens, there's unlimited examples of men treating women as incubators) and more about the entire concept of artificial incubation.

yes, he is saying that motherhood is specifically sacred, as distinct from fatherhood.

this is a significant religious principle in actual religions sometimes, e: and i would never call you bad and dumb because i didn't read something closely before spouting off

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 12:30 on Jul 4, 2020

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hodgepodge posted:

yes, he is saying that motherhood is specifically sacred, as distinct from fatherhood.

this is a significant religious principle in actual religions sometimes, and while you don't have to agree or be uncritical of it, you could stand to not be a condescending rear end in a top hat who thinks that american middle class cultural references like twee are appropriate approaches to other people's beliefs

I don't think the stupid little incubator video is anybodys culture/beliefs there, which is the only thing anybody has referred to as twee?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

purple death ray posted:

I don't think the stupid little incubator video is anybodys culture/beliefs there, which is the only thing anybody has referred to as twee?

oh, my bad, i misread that completely

i wouldn't really describe the video as twee, but maybe as like a ghastly satire of something resembling twee. i could see it as an art project, or better yet, an art project used to grift venture capital

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hodgepodge posted:

oh, my bad, i misread that completely

i wouldn't really describe the video as twee, but maybe as like a ghastly satire of something resembling twee. i could see it as an art project, or better yet, an art project used to grift venture capital
Yeah my sentence structure wasn't great. I was saying it's super gross that the video was treating a growing child like a bougie conversation piece, but the tweeter's word choice made me think they were mad at it for different reasons.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Biplane posted:

Is killer mike the dude who wore a KILL YOUR MASTERS shirt while making a speech about how everyone should obey their masters?

Yeah, he gave a speech that can be summed up as "don't riot, vote." I Lost a lot of respect for him when he did that.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Yeah, he gave a speech that can be summed up as "don't riot, vote." I Lost a lot of respect for him when he did that.

At a certain point, it stops being about the message and starts being about selling the message.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Voter Mike

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

he's a landlord and half his family are cops

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

kiß my aß :argh:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

drat, I can't believe Killer Mike got cancelled.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
There is a world of difference between getting cancelled and getting called out for not living up to the ethos in his music

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean not really getting cancelled is just a modern term for people falling out of favor. People like to pretend it’s some recent thing but it’s always been a thing.

I don’t know why you would look to killer Mike for politics but people love their celebrity. worship

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t know why you would look to killer Mike for politics but people love their celebrity. worship

Might it be that he says things in his songs about politics? nah, must just be celebrity worship

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ekuNNN posted:

Might it be that he says things in his songs about politics? nah, must just be celebrity worship

i mean yeah it’s celebrity worship. That was rhetorical

I already assumed his songs contained politics or then it would just be random

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

He has a track about the conflict between not being a dead husband and father; and being the person in his music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i think a lot of people assumed that mike was like most cspammers - significantly to the left of bernie, but advocating for him as the only humane option even though he's not perfect.

that might be the case but it turns out that publicly he is not willing to go any further left than bernie outside of the studio