Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

More updates from Door County from my mom. For the uninitiated, Door County is a very popular vacation destination in Wisconsin, particularly for wealthy FIBs (aka Illinoisans) coming up from the city to sit around for a weekend on their boat or in their cabin and then go back to Chicago talking about how it was super nice to live "rough" for that long!

It's miserably hot and humid there (90 degrees, 85%+ humidity, no wind) so everyone is either miserably sweating outside or they're jostling each other to get into the bars and restaurants. People are standing in line elbow-to-elbow waiting to get into overcapacity bars and restaurants. It's busier than she's ever seen it (she's spent basically every summer there for the past 15 years sailing across the lakes with her boyfriend in their small sailboat), presumably everyone is taking the opportunity to get away from being "locked down" and get out-and-about combined with the holiday. The (official) fireworks and the various celebrations/parades/etc have been cancelled but that hasn't stopped the crowds.

The crowds are like 70% retired or about-to-retire boomers, 30% young families.

Wisconsin hasn't been doing great with COVID but I'm convinced this weekend in Door County is going to be an outbreak event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
With so many sports people infected, statistically it won't be long before we hear some "so-and-so retired due to covid19 organ damage" stories, right?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PerniciousKnid posted:

With so many sports people infected, statistically it won't be long before we hear some "so-and-so retired due to covid19 organ damage" stories, right?

Yeah it's just a matter of time, though athletes are going to be in much better health than 99.9% of the people catching this virus. But the lung damage (which I think has been reported to be very common to the point it's showing up in asymptomatic patients?) is going to be trouble for basically any sport where you're doing a lot of aerobic exertion.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

a.lo posted:

so when do you start showing symptoms? I know it could take 14 days but can it be as little as 2?

Depends on the initial viral load(and probably other things specific to the individual), if you're hanging out with a bunch of screaming sick people for hours in a bar and inhaling a bunch of virus, you could show symptoms pretty quickly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gio posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1279430036735561731?s=20

this does more to (rightly) scare people than “well we think the IFR is somewhere between...”

inthink COVID-19 would be the first thing on my mind if I went to a bar

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

More updates from Door County from my mom. For the uninitiated, Door County is a very popular vacation destination in Wisconsin, particularly for wealthy FIBs (aka Illinoisans) coming up from the city to sit around for a weekend on their boat or in their cabin and then go back to Chicago talking about how it was super nice to live "rough" for that long!

It's miserably hot and humid there (90 degrees, 85%+ humidity, no wind) so everyone is either miserably sweating outside or they're jostling each other to get into the bars and restaurants. People are standing in line elbow-to-elbow waiting to get into overcapacity bars and restaurants. It's busier than she's ever seen it (she's spent basically every summer there for the past 15 years sailing across the lakes with her boyfriend in their small sailboat), presumably everyone is taking the opportunity to get away from being "locked down" and get out-and-about combined with the holiday. The (official) fireworks and the various celebrations/parades/etc have been cancelled but that hasn't stopped the crowds.

Wisconsin hasn't been doing great with COVID but I'm convinced this weekend in Door County is going to be an outbreak event.

lol that owns. how much does a sailboat cost

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

This "welcome home.... *to your job*!!!" is already sick american propaganda without the implicit virus-denial.

In a theme park parking lot at night, a worker sleeps in her car. This is life in America’s most visited city

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

SKULL.GIF posted:

ya Boston is weirdly dead this weekend. I assume an unusually high number of people left the city for the 4th.

good luck Maine

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The two breaking news headlines at the top of that page are amazing together. "You're gonna die, but do it at these beaches while they're open."

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

In Training posted:

inthink COVID-19 would be the first thing on my mind if I went to a bar

especially in Arizona and especially no one wearing masks

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

a.lo posted:

so when do you start showing symptoms? I know it could take 14 days but can it be as little as 2?

Yes 2-14 days. Median is 5 days. IIRC 5% of cases will show symptoms in as little as 2 days and 95% will have symptoms after 14 days (which means 5% of cases will take longer than 14 days)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fits my needs posted:

lol that owns. how much does a sailboat cost

wildly variable on how old it is, how big it is, what type it is, how much work it needs, etc. I think her boyfriend paid something like 12 to 14 grand for the boat a couple decades ago? I'd have to ask.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

covid is the first thing on my mind wherever I go how dumb are these people

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
11458 new cases in Florida lmao

I'm loving hooting and hollering.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

nooneofconsequence posted:

covid is the first thing on my mind wherever I go how dumb are these people

Same, I call the outside world "The Hot Zone" these days

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rhesus Pieces posted:

all the states reopening poo poo in spite of the numbers can all see the writing on the wall but they don't care, they want to wring out as much labor and economic activity as they can before everything inevitably goes to poo poo

I think the real issue for the non-chud places is that successful defense against a pandemic requires it to look like you are overreacting. And no one is willing to look like they are overreacting.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

holy poo poo Florida is hosed. at least New York could say that it’s densely populated but Florida is pretty spread out and it’s still spreading like wildfire

the next month down there is going to be wild

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah it's just a matter of time, though athletes are going to be in much better health than 99.9% of the people catching this virus.

But on the other hand, the demands on athletes are higher than "walk from the couch to the fridge without wheezing." Like, imagine a soccer team where a few of your starters can't play a full 90min any more.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr Hootington posted:

11434 was new Yorks record on 4/15 per 91-divoc using John Hopkins data which I think pulls from worldometers

Absolute legends in Florida

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mr Hootington posted:

11488 cases you say

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin

Fact: COVID-19 was developed by Burisma using Clinton Foundation money laundered through George Soros's bank accounts and secretly unleashed in Wuhan under cover of the Gates Foundation.

TRUMP THAT MR DEATH TRUMP THAT

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/680TheFan/status/1279435683212546049?s=20

Freeman is 30 and a 4-time all-star.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Mr Hootington posted:

oh god we are so screwed

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Interview with epidemiologist Michael Osterholm, founder and director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, from June 17.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/17/879255417/amid-confusion-about-reopening-an-expert-explains-how-to-assess-covid-risk

quote:

On why he wouldn't recommend getting an antibody test

What we have largely is the Wild, Wild West of testing. The FDA has, I think, done a miserable job of overseeing the regulation and the authorization of antibody tests. Today, there's over 100 [tests] in the United States where somebody has just filed with the FDA that they are going to offer this, and that's all they had to do to be able to do it. We have seen a number of these tests that provide very, very poor results. ... If I were to test a large segment of the population today, half of all the test results that came back positive would actually be false positive — meaning they didn't really have the antibody. ... I would not use it at this point as a way of telling an individual patient that they did or didn't have COVID. The final piece is, of course, we don't know what antibody really means in terms of your own protection. We're worried that we're gonna start seeing people take different approaches to how they protect themselves if they think they're antibody positive.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Mr Hootington posted:

:piss:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Retweeted by prez

https://twitter.com/RichardGrenell/status/1279055041148510208?s=19

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
many such cases

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

went to sturgeon bay in door county for a wedding once, got called a human being 3 times when i told people i was from california

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

fits my needs posted:

i feel like i saw this same article a month ago and before that and CNN is fake newws

yeah the media was pushing youth casualties in mid march, i think the most egregious was a 29yo woman who had corona-like symptoms, like a week later they quietly reported she tested negative

this is like groundhog day except now I know to stock up on things in advance

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Iron Crowned posted:

Same, I call the outside world "The Hot Zone" these days

the Hot Zone miniseries (natgeo 2019) is p good and very faithful to the book if anyone wants some doom media!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

this is the Detroit study where like 75% of the chloroquine patients also got steroids and the non chloroquine population only had like 25% steroids, right? lmao

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Marx Headroom posted:

yeah the media was pushing youth casualties in mid march, i think the most egregious was a 29yo woman who had corona-like symptoms, like a week later they quietly reported she tested negative

this is like groundhog day except now I know to stock up on things in advance

sincere question: whatre you implying?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

heavy liquid posted:

Interview with epidemiologist Michael Osterholm, founder and director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, from June 17.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/17/879255417/amid-confusion-about-reopening-an-expert-explains-how-to-assess-covid-risk

He's giving out of date information. The major hospital labs and testing companies do their own internal validation and QC before offering a test for sale. This combined with the major diagnostic companies offering their own self-developed kits has eliminated a lot of the junk. He's right that March/April was the wild west with minimal oversight, but not anymore.

quote:

If I were to test a large segment of the population today, half of all the test results that came back positive would actually be false positive — meaning they didn't really have the antibody. ... I would not use it at this point as a way of telling an individual patient that they did or didn't have COVID.

This is flat-out wrong. A validated test run by a licensed lab is not going to give a 50% false-positive rate, it's more like less than 1%.

quote:

. The final piece is, of course, we don't know what antibody really means in terms of your own protection. We're worried that we're gonna start seeing people take different approaches to how they protect themselves if they think they're antibody positive.

This is true. A positive serology test only means your immune system was exposed to the virus and generated antibodies against it. We don't know exactly how that correlates to immunity beyond a vague "antibodies = immune".

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

heavy liquid posted:

This isn't the same as a false positive rate of 50%. It's consistent with a false positive rate that's about equal to the expected prevalence. IE if you think the chances someone has something is 1%, and you give them a test with a 1% FPR, if the test comes back positive, there's maybe a 50% chance they actually have it. That's the Positive Predict Value of a test. 50% obviously pretty poo poo for diagnostic purposes, but if the prevalence is significantly higher than the FPR, you can till use the test, that's just not true in most places right now though.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Spoondick posted:

went to sturgeon bay in door county for a wedding once, got called a human being 3 times when i told people i was from california

you got off easy! SAD. turnip!

in reality just say you’re a packers fan to blend in

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
We make our own tests now, and we're also testing both PCR and antibodies multiples times for our hospital worker research study. Every week for four weeks, then a month later, then 3 months later.

It was utter poo poo back in Feb and March when we had to get tests from the CDC though, especially since we couldn't request them unless the patient fit the criteria (aka been to China).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Uuudar posted:

Yeah the chud-o-sphere is hooting about this right now

https://twitter.com/ianmsc/status/1278885921333497856?s=12

And it's like well...that's still only 1.85% of the population infected so far...and FL is hiding the actual death counts so, seems bad!

I love how current events in this country has basically just been trying to figure out what scene from a Cormac McCarthy novel something makes me think of. In this case, the part where Chigurh is about to kill the other bounty hunter

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

only this amount of people will die. just add it on to the pile.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Noooooooooo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

change team name to atlanta graves