Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my god there's gremlin horn as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
defect can get away with it but i'll always prefer an early cold snap and/or ball lightning, ball lightning is one of the juiciest commons around and usually isn't competing with that lovely glacier which i have a hard time ever turning down

you're right though i misread the early relic swap bit, if you're at a19 you don't need any advice on the value proposition~

Straight White Shark posted:

That seems pretty harsh to me, but then I'm not 47-3 on watcher.

enh, i'm nowhere near that either though she's definitely my highest win chance character, I just find that other than an early blasphemy, divinity usually feels too slow to avoid catastrophe--it can be a nice spice with your devotions or even a prostrate if you're hard up for block but worship specifically is just too single-minded and hands-on while not being cheap enough to take without considering it

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
that said at least it's not wreath of flame which i am mad at for even existing

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Cartoon Man posted:

If I got a question card should I take the broken crown from the act one boss?

I wouldn't because of the hovering kite and because you're silent and because slaver's collar is pretty ok.

TacoNight posted:

I'm bad with watcher, it's my worst class at the moment. I tried 1) on the last two runs and got a coffee dripper and runic dome and I lost Act I with both (A12). For the coffee dripper run, I took too much damage from gremlin nob. How do I pass without taking a ton of damage? I can't sit back and block until I sculpt a perfect 1 turn kill, since that just scales his strength. I look at a hand with with Eruption and 1 or 2 strikes, but I can't finish him this turn, so I'm just plinking for 6 to 12 damage. I didn't have much hope for the runic dome run, slime boss got me after I split it too early.

Also, 3). "straight up throw", does that mean it's a good card or a bad card?
a.) For watcher at the start of the run you always prioritize picking attacks (no attack is too bad to pick, except maybe flying sleeves) and remove a defend.
b.) You fight nob the same way you fight him with other classes. You just hit him with the cards you have and don't get stuck in eruption when he does his big attack. Sash whip is a totally reasonable act 1 card because of nob and especially because of Lagavulin. You should almost never be sculpting a one turn kill with watcher.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 3, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Broadly speaking I agree. Like I said, all the mantra cards need additional mantra support so you're not likely to take them in the first place outside of some combination of desperation, damaru, or getting a bunch them shoved in your deck via pandora/astrolabe. They can still be useful when the stars align, though; if your burst is stronger than your scaling, divinity will carry you through act 3 and hopefully buy you time to patch up your scaling for the heart.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

If I got a question card should I take the broken crown from the act one boss?

This is a snap pick of Collar. Even with Card, Crown is still a big kick in the balls to your quest to create a deck that can beat the late game.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
If you're interested on a "professionals" opinion, joinrbs put out a video last year about question card+broken crown.

https://youtu.be/k_YSUFSKtSs

TlDr is that it's still not good

Note I always grab broken crown, because I'm bad at this game lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i grab it when i think my deck's good enough

(it's not good enough)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No Wave posted:

a.) For watcher at the start of the run you always prioritize picking attacks (no attack is too bad to pick, except maybe flying sleeves) and remove a defend.

Flying Sleeves is a lot better than poo poo Twin Strike, which a lot of people think it is. Because it Retains you'll always have it on your Wrath turn.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i grab it when i think my deck's good enough

(it's not good enough)

that's why i stay ahead of the curve and make garbage decks on purpose and just count on me not being able to do that and accidentally making a good deck

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Just finished the Ironclad unlocks and pathed through every elite possible. Got 17 relics in the end, though I was hardly lucky with ? spaces turning into chests/good events. I wondered how the hell you get 30+ and then I noticed that screenshot was on A11. Guess there's more elites outside of nubtown. :downs:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If I have a daily challenge on the go when the date rolls over, do I get to finish it?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Mailer posted:

Just finished the Ironclad unlocks and pathed through every elite possible. Got 17 relics in the end, though I was hardly lucky with ? spaces turning into chests/good events. I wondered how the hell you get 30+ and then I noticed that screenshot was on A11. Guess there's more elites outside of nubtown. :downs:

a lot of them probably came from the shop too

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Qwertycoatl posted:

If I have a daily challenge on the go when the date rolls over, do I get to finish it?

Yep!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Zvahl posted:

a lot of them probably came from the shop too

Yeah they've got the relic that makes shops cheaper and also keep restocking

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mantari posted:

Just tried out the Downfall mod, not that I'm tired of the base game yet after 150 hours

This is a new game mode where you play as the bosses and work your way down the spire from the heart, facing the original characters as bosses, an incredible amount of work must have gone into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYthsh8a1Dc

My first run after a difficult act 1 I cruised along until the act 3 boss the Silent, she stacked up poison on me and laid down a wraith form. I only survived due to my fairy in a bottle and the healing cards I had. Amazing mod

I've just started playing this. There's a graphical issue where the Heart doesn't appear in the flaming circle at shops, which may be related to ultra-wide resolutions. Also, a warning - beating Neow doesn't count as completing a run for unlocking new villains.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Dammit, got to the final boss again and this time the doughnut and diamond killed me. So close! I want to read up on strategy but I don't want to spoil these things like the dog coming back.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
well since there's only 3 act bosses you just gotta fight time eater now which has already been spoiled in the thread. for donu and deca most people recommend killing donu first so he stops increasing both of their strength. no other real gotchas in the fight I can think of

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Matt Zerella posted:

Dammit, got to the final boss again and this time the doughnut and diamond killed me. So close! I want to read up on strategy but I don't want to spoil these things like the dog coming back.

Focus the donut

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

mcvey posted:

Focus the donut

done and done

what do i do about the boss problem in slay the spire though

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
bazinga

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

mcvey posted:

Focus the donut

F. I killed the diamond.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

F. I killed the diamond.

Deca buffs defence, Donu scales damage. If you kill Deca first then Donu becomes a bit squishier but you're on a very short clock. If you kill Donu first then you just need to be able to block for ~32 every other turn, which is easier.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

this is the bazinga of slay the spire i have no evidence to back this up but it's true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

i've decided coffee dripper exists only to gently caress me over when i trade away my starting relic

edit: hahahahaha i loving won (couldn't kill the heart, though)

edit 2: that picture doesn't tell the whole story: i got two fairies in act 1 and popped them both by the end of act 2. i was so loving glad to see the bite event. turns out if you can block at least half the damage coming at you, all those little heals start to add up

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 4, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Starting with dripper is really good on watcher imo. The class is just ridiculous with a fourth energy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mantari posted:

Just tried out the Downfall mod, not that I'm tired of the base game yet after 150 hours

This is a new game mode where you play as the bosses and work your way down the spire from the heart, facing the original characters as bosses, an incredible amount of work must have gone into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYthsh8a1Dc

My first run after a difficult act 1 I cruised along until the act 3 boss the Silent, she stacked up poison on me and laid down a wraith form. I only survived due to my fairy in a bottle and the healing cards I had. Amazing mod

I'm super into this mod after spending 500+ hours on the base game and then another 100 hours messing around with various content and character mods. It's probably straight up the best, most complete Slay mod I've tried.

Hexaghost is super obnoxious to play though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Just popped the You Are Nothing achievement on the Time Eater as Ironclad!

Key drops were Snecko Eye, Corruption, Dead Branch, upgraded Friend Fire, a Duplication potion, and a Gambler’s potion. I lucked out and got Corruption on turn 1 for 0 energy. Exhausted a couple cards until a Friend Fire dropped; duplicated it to cut about 33% of his health. Nothing was good in hand, so I used the Gambler’s pot and my upgraded Friend Fire came. Ran it against him and got him down to about 100 health with nothing promising in hand. Exhausted some skills and BAM, Exhume! Played Exhume as the 10th card and played upgraded Friend Fire as the 11th to kill him on the first turn!

bobfather fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 4, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm super into this mod after spending 500+ hours on the base game and then another 100 hours messing around with various content and character mods. It's probably straight up the best, most complete Slay mod I've tried.

Yeah, I just did my first Hexy run and it's way too complex to really enjoy. On the other hand, I did get the Broken Seal and learned that once you have all six Seals in play, every other Seal you play in that fight will give you another Broken Seal. Sadly I only had enough spares to get three of them, but that still made the rest of the run trivial (and means I have to do another one at least to unlock Snecko).

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

At some point I had steam force-close the game post-run for a reboot, and now anytime I start the game up it wants to dump me back into an old partially complete watcher run. This has the unfortunate side-effects of 1. making it impossible to quit and then resume any new runs, and 2. preventing the game from ever successfully closing without me completely shutting steam down. Googling around has turned up nothing super helpful so in desperation: is this a known issue/is there someway for me to force-purge whatever cloud backup is responsible for this? I've tried deleting the run files locally but they just get recreated when I launch the game.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That might be worth an email to the devs

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You can turn off Steam cloud sync in the game properties.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Oh a way that should work is to delete your local save, run the game without network, then when you start it says "are you sure you want to play without the cloud save?" and pick yes. Then turn on the network and it should ask you if you want to sync when you exit the game.

At least that's what happens when you play on different PCs and one side doesn't end up syncing, happens to me occasionally when I close my laptop early

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Jedit posted:

Yeah, I just did my first Hexy run and it's way too complex to really enjoy. On the other hand, I did get the Broken Seal and learned that once you have all six Seals in play, every other Seal you play in that fight will give you another Broken Seal. Sadly I only had enough spares to get three of them, but that still made the rest of the run trivial (and means I have to do another one at least to unlock Snecko).

Oh man, Hexghost is like my favorite to play. I totally understand how it could be obnoxious though. The mechanic to build up and pay off just ticks something in my lizard brain. :3:

This is the first mod I've tried for the game, got stuck on A17 for my characters. This is such an awesome overhaul. EDIT: I did run into errors where any ability that tries to modify what TYPE of ghostflame it is, it'll cause an error and I have to reload the game and restart the fight over.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Argh, the Neow fight in Downfall is really long which would be fine except it locked up in what was probably his final phase. At least it kept the save from the start of the fight so it's not a lost run but I don't feel like redoing it right now.

(Don't use an orb-removing card if you're not fighting Defect)

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Jedit posted:

What does Broken Seal do? Curious but haven't got it yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Razakai posted:

What does Broken Seal do? Curious but haven't got it yet.

It gives 2 Strength, Dexterity and Intensity and raises max HP by 10. You also delete the six Seals from your deck.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Qwertycoatl posted:

Argh, the Neow fight in Downfall is really long which would be fine except it locked up in what was probably his final phase. At least it kept the save from the start of the fight so it's not a lost run but I don't feel like redoing it right now.

(Don't use an orb-removing card if you're not fighting Defect)

That fight is exactly why I make sure to pack some sort of serious scaling, like artifact shenanigans for Guardian, or at least bring a Cultist potion.

I do like how it mechanically and thematically is a inverse mirror of the Heart fight.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Since we were bitching about Hermit recently: the class has been reworked to be less crap. The starter relic now makes you immune to damage from Pain, Decay and Regret, so while you still want some way to dump them it's no longer the horrific travesty it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
what do I remove as Watcher? Strikes or Defends?

i got an early transform/upgrade/remove event and as always after playing too much or doing work I get decision fatigue and just quit the game :D