Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

EbolaIvory posted:

New ones out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1066180/Crisis_VRigade_2/

Im gonna play it tomorrow after some beat saber.

Hoping its a bit more toned down. The first was REALLY tuned for co-op IMO. Heres to hoping the new one gets MP at some point.

Yeah co-op is where VRigade 1 was actually fun and not miserable. Turns out having even one other person to get shot at evens things out a lot!!

I'm not a fan of the style of VRigade 2 though, it looks more generic than VRigade 1 did. Though, it IS getting good reviews..hm..a shame there's no co-op yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

that was really easy and rewarding

I can now go back to being an old person who doesn't know any of this new 'music'

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Goodguy3 posted:

Yeah co-op is where VRigade 1 was actually fun and not miserable. Turns out having even one other person to get shot at evens things out a lot!!

I'm not a fan of the style of VRigade 2 though, it looks more generic than VRigade 1 did. Though, it IS getting good reviews..hm..a shame there's no co-op yet.

Sounds like how I felt with 1. I'll try and remember to post an update about it. Just installed it off viveport so w/e. Its on infinity. Needed something to do tomorrow that isn't all beat saber anyways. :D

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Nocheez posted:

What's crazy is my online friends tell me the index microphone is better than my normal headphone mic.

I gave in and recorded myself speaking on the index and over a Yeti one day. The index isn't quite as good but it's still very very good.

KingKapalone posted:

I'd say blurry. The text on the ammo pickup popup is entirely illegible unless I'm up close, but the text even on the wall in the SteamVR home isn't nearly as sharp as how it would look on my monitor.

I'm sure there's a term for this effect but essentially you're trying to render text on a sign that takes up a significant part of your real vision but only like 700x500px on a screen. So poo poo gets blurred when you instinctively wouldn't think it should be. It becomes a lot more obvious when you pull up your desktop to check discord or something and try to render your 2560x1440 screen over a half the viewing area of your 2880x1600 index. Visually, it's only like 4 feet in front of your face and instinctively you would think everything should be fine, but lol. You get used to it/learn how to cope.

That's what it sounds like you're dealing with, and it really hosed me up too. I'm also a 1070 haver though so whatup bad framerate crew

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Going to get my skull reshaped so my IPD is exactly average.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

RandomBlue posted:

Going to get my skull reshaped so my IPD is exactly average.

Is your avatar a selfie :v:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Marxalot posted:

Is your avatar a selfie :v:

I wish my eyes were that close together.

e:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Wow. I just started playing it and have no idea what I'm doing, but h3vr is something special

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

w00tmonger posted:

Wow. I just started playing it and have no idea what I'm doing, but h3vr is something special

Start with the Sampler, it'll walk you through the basics of gun usage.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Lemming posted:

The limits you're running into with respect to latency and stuff are probably not mostly due to bandwidth; that's part of how they were able to get the Link to work with USB 2.0.

You can check out this blog post that goes into a lot of detail: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/how-does-oculus-link-work-the-architecture-pipeline-and-aadt-explained/

The main reason you feel latency is not actually going to be as much from the headset itself; the speed you look at the way your head moves through space is going to line up pretty well. The issue, which is significantly, significantly worse for VD over wifi, is the controller pose is basically "old". The applications try to adjust for this as best they can, but it's not a way one trip from PC to quest, it's a consistent round trip. Hand is in one spot in one frame, then the PC sees it, renders the frame, but your hand has already moved, so it tries to predict where your hand will be, but with fast movements it's hard to get that right, and I'm not sure VD tries much at all. The best way to test that out is to just shake your hand really hard, on VD it'll move like crazy, way past where your hands actually are, on Link it'll flip out a significantly smaller amount.

You can't get away from this no matter how good your setup is, for certain faster things VD is just not good enough to get a great experience. For me, Link is good enough for basically anything I want to do, but VD suffers from that latency too much.

Interesting read, thanks for the link. It doesn't really explain why pinarello dogman gets 30ms and I get 80ms at presumably the max bandwidth rate though. I redid my network setup a bit an used the AC68U router as a dedicated access point (wired to proprietary router). The latency reported in VD is the same, but the Longbow game experience was noticeably smoother. Did some chatting on the VR discord and it seems like it could be the fact that I have an AMD gfx card and that the encoding "sucks" for AMD atm.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MrOnBicycle posted:

Interesting read, thanks for the link. It doesn't really explain why pinarello dogman gets 30ms and I get 80ms at presumably the max bandwidth rate though. I redid my network setup a bit an used the AC68U router as a dedicated access point (wired to proprietary router). The latency reported in VD is the same, but the Longbow game experience was noticeably smoother. Did some chatting on the VR discord and it seems like it could be the fact that I have an AMD gfx card and that the encoding "sucks" for AMD atm.

This is probably the key, at the end of the day the reported latency doesn't really matter (it still matters some ofc) for the game feel. Virtual desktop can't entirely get rid of the hand tracking latency, so you basically need to decide if whatever thing you're doing feels good enough to play with it. If it does, great, if not, Link will probably feel pretty good, but now you've got to deal with the cable and everything

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Lemming posted:

This is probably the key, at the end of the day the reported latency doesn't really matter (it still matters some ofc) for the game feel. Virtual desktop can't entirely get rid of the hand tracking latency, so you basically need to decide if whatever thing you're doing feels good enough to play with it. If it does, great, if not, Link will probably feel pretty good, but now you've got to deal with the cable and everything

Yeah. The Quest really spoils you with being able to play wireless as well.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

MrOnBicycle posted:

My issues I was taking about with my AMD card a couple pages back feel like it's performing poorly on the GPU than a latency thing. That said, I haven't really fully tested the AMD for latency yet, since it's on my regular mesh network which gets around 80mhz.

I also have a dedicated AC68U to VR and in the past had been running Virtual Desktop with decent latency (30 to 40) - but this was on my former gaming laptop with a NVIDIA card. I have yet to try this setup with my new AMD PC, which seems to be same regardless of link or VD. (The RT68U / VR setup is in an entirely other room which I need half a day free to migrate everything over to test).

Try turning your other router off and run the AC68 by itself, with steam in offline mode. This will stop any interference. Also set it to wireless N only and 40mhz channel bandwidth.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Isometric Bacon posted:

My issues I was taking about with my AMD card a couple pages back feel like it's performing poorly on the GPU than a latency thing. That said, I haven't really fully tested the AMD for latency yet, since it's on my regular mesh network which gets around 80mhz.

I also have a dedicated AC68U to VR and in the past had been running Virtual Desktop with decent latency (30 to 40) - but this was on my former gaming laptop with a NVIDIA card. I have yet to try this setup with my new AMD PC, which seems to be same regardless of link or VD. (The RT68U / VR setup is in an entirely other room which I need half a day free to migrate everything over to test).

Try turning your other router off and run the AC68 by itself, with steam in offline mode. This will stop any interference. Also set it to wireless N only and 40mhz channel bandwidth.

I'll try this when I got home again. Ran out of time today. Thanks.

Edit: I tried Walking Dead and in that game it was basically the problem that Lemmin described above where the headset itself isn't lagging, but the movement has a noticeable delay. I ended up refunding it as I read that it'll be crossplatform if bought from Oculus store instead of Steam.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 6, 2020

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

hhhat posted:

I tried a couple of them and they felt really empty... I think for a shooty game i'd prefer to be doing an on rails thing like the old school arcade games? just send waves of aliens or whatever my way and let me mow them down

also having to do all the manual hold things on the weapons is kinda neat but not fun at all, just let me 'pick it up' without having to hold down a specific button and let me just clicky clicky the targets

its still neat i just cant imagine playing it a bunch at all

Space Pirate Trainer might be your jam.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah. The Quest really spoils you with being able to play wireless as well.

This is, IMO, the number one thing all future vr headsets need to focus on. Cables are really annoying and limiting. Turning the quest into a wireless steam vr system with no lighthouses is awesome and I just wish I didn't need to gently caress with virtual desktop to do it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's a prerequisite for me. I can't go back, even for sitting games it's now essential. It's one of the reasons why I think Rift S is next on the chopping block, as an official Quest WiFi VR streaming solution from Oculus is inevitable and would make the S a very poor value proposition. It only just barely has it's niche now, but with the upcoming release of the (admittedly more expensive) Reverb G2, provided it isn't fatally flawed in some way, offers much better value on behalf of it's ridiculously high resolution panels.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hhhat posted:

that was really easy and rewarding

I can now go back to being an old person who doesn't know any of this new 'music'

not to worry, friend:
https://bsaber.com/beat-saber-goes-90s/
https://bsaber.com/bloq-busters-vol-4-high-octane/

there's plenty of boomer-friendly music. mods are great!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i'd also really recommend you take a quick look through these - the mod assistant makes it trivially easy to install mods: https://bsaber.com/plugins/

Song Browser is an absolute godsend. fixes the fact that beat saber's song picker sucks dong.

i think Mapping Extensions is the one that lets you play maps that have awesome effects like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OFzHL2aT0&t=173s (02:56). not sure about the name but the mod assistant tells you what the mods are anyway.

again, click the checkbox and hit the "install or update" button, and you're done!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Tried Half Life Alyx with a Vive Pro this evening as another attempt to compare my PC performance against the Quest. Still seem to get the same hitches when switching weapons or smooth locomotion, despite otherwise running at a decent framerate when still.

Tried a bunch of other apps that seemed to be the same, or maybe slightly better with the straight headset. But that might be more to do with 90hz over 72 hz perhaps.

I expect perhaps I was just a bit naive in thinking the 5700xt performance would be better than I'm getting, or the AMD drivers are just outright lovely for VR. Indeed, VR was almost entireably unusable until I rolled back the driver to a previous version...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AMD can barely keep their drivers functional for flat screen games, I doubt they will ever devote the resources needed to get VR working well. People have been complaining about AMDs VR performance for years now.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

LA Noire developer says it’s working on a ‘AAA open world VR game’ for Rockstar

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AGENT LIVES

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Tried Half Life Alyx with a Vive Pro this evening as another attempt to compare my PC performance against the Quest. Still seem to get the same hitches when switching weapons or smooth locomotion, despite otherwise running at a decent framerate when still.

Tried a bunch of other apps that seemed to be the same, or maybe slightly better with the straight headset. But that might be more to do with 90hz over 72 hz perhaps.

I expect perhaps I was just a bit naive in thinking the 5700xt performance would be better than I'm getting, or the AMD drivers are just outright lovely for VR. Indeed, VR was almost entireably unusable until I rolled back the driver to a previous version...

What graphics settings are you running Alyx at? I have a 5600xt and a Quest and get hitching when switching weapons on Medium settings, but it's smooth on Low. From reading a few decent comparisons between AMD and NVIDIA cards for VR and trying out my old 970, it seems like the drivers really let down AMD cards in VR (the 5600xt is much faster than the 970, but performance doesn't seem as consistent from game to game). There are some games where AMD cards run just as well (or even better) than similar NVIDIA cards, but others where AMD cards are 25% slower than NVIDIA cards they would beat at 1440p. I have also seen some comments about NVIDIA cards handling the video encoding used for Quest Link better than AMD, but haven't found any technical info about how/why that would be the case.

Have you tried turning on the Steam VR performance HUD? Using it with both the Vive Pro and the Quest should show how much (if any) difference there is between them and give you a better sense of when reprojection and frame drops are happening.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

It's a prerequisite for me. I can't go back, even for sitting games it's now essential. It's one of the reasons why I think Rift S is next on the chopping block, as an official Quest WiFi VR streaming solution from Oculus is inevitable and would make the S a very poor value proposition. It only just barely has it's niche now, but with the upcoming release of the (admittedly more expensive) Reverb G2, provided it isn't fatally flawed in some way, offers much better value on behalf of it's ridiculously high resolution panels.

The Rift S going on the chopping block is a matter of when, not if. The Quest offers far better value, whether by planning or happy accident, and they have to share it with Lenovo. At this point it's a waiting game to see if Oculus will kill it with a Quest revision that has a 90hz refresh rate (because the only thing holding that back is FCC licensing), or if they wait for the new Del Mar Headset to roll out.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Dietrich posted:

Space Pirate Trainer might be your jam.

I'll check it out! Thanks

Inacio posted:

not to worry, friend:
https://bsaber.com/beat-saber-goes-90s/
https://bsaber.com/bloq-busters-vol-4-high-octane/

there's plenty of boomer-friendly music. mods are great!

Excuse me I'm genX I'm not part of the worst generation thankyouverymuch

Inacio posted:

i'd also really recommend you take a quick look through these - the mod assistant makes it trivially easy to install mods: https://bsaber.com/plugins/

Song Browser is an absolute godsend. fixes the fact that beat saber's song picker sucks dong.

i think Mapping Extensions is the one that lets you play maps that have awesome effects like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OFzHL2aT0&t=173s (02:56). not sure about the name but the mod assistant tells you what the mods are anyway.

again, click the checkbox and hit the "install or update" button, and you're done!

this is awesome and you're awesome

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hhhat posted:

Excuse me I'm genX I'm not part of the worst generation thankyouverymuch

dont worry im in my late 20s so im a boomer too

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At this point it's a waiting game to see if Oculus will kill it with a Quest revision that has a 90hz refresh rate (because the only thing holding that back is FCC licensing), or if they wait for the new Del Mar Headset to roll out.

So, could current headsets be "unlocked" to allow 90Hz?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

seravid posted:

So, could current headsets be "unlocked" to allow 90Hz?

I think they theoretically could be. John Carmack mentioned that the displays can actually run at t90Hz, it's all hard-coded to 72Hz because it was stable for mobile gaming and changing it would violate the FCC certification.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I think there are some people working on 90Hz mods. Forgot the name of the youtube channel though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inacio posted:

Mapping extensions and noodle as well. You need noodle for the crazy wall map poo poo.

Also chroma. Gonna need that too. Lol

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Good Lord those reverb G2 controllers look like rear end. Does seem to be a good sim headset though. Can you use other controllers with those headsets or are they locked to whatever they ship with? I'm an original rift haver and I'm looking to upgrade in the next year or so.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Looking for recommendations for a VR racer, something that I can play on my Quest through the Link. I don't have a wheel, so something that plays ok with a 360 controller. Doesn't have to be a super-realistic sim - I more just want a nice VR experience, so it is fine if it is more on the arcade side. Bonus points if it is in the current steam sale.

I bought Assetto Corsa in the sale yesterday, but I've now refunded it because the VR integration was really poor - all the out-of-race menus only show up on the monitor, not the headset and require removing the headset to use keyboard/mouse. Apparently there's various mods and launcher add-ons that can help, but I can't really be bothered with the hassle.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Deanut Pancer posted:

Looking for recommendations for a VR racer, something that I can play on my Quest through the Link. I don't have a wheel, so something that plays ok with a 360 controller. Doesn't have to be a super-realistic sim - I more just want a nice VR experience, so it is fine if it is more on the arcade side. Bonus points if it is in the current steam sale.

I bought Assetto Corsa in the sale yesterday, but I've now refunded it because the VR integration was really poor - all the out-of-race menus only show up on the monitor, not the headset and require removing the headset to use keyboard/mouse. Apparently there's various mods and launcher add-ons that can help, but I can't really be bothered with the hassle.

I have banged the drum for shameless Wipeout clone Ballistic NG multiple times in this thread and will continue to do so. It's about $6 in the Steam sale and has an expansion coming out in a few weeks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Grabbed that, thanks. I used to play a lot (a LOT) of Extreme G on the GameCube with a friend, it was our “whoops the sun is up” game and this looks like it’ll be some flawless throwback. Hopefully with fewer bugs than that old piece of poo poo game, lol.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I wish Sony would be cool and release Wipeout Omega Collection on Steam, that game is rad.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Deanut Pancer posted:

I bought Assetto Corsa in the sale yesterday, but I've now refunded it because the VR integration was really poor - all the out-of-race menus only show up on the monitor, not the headset and require removing the headset to use keyboard/mouse. Apparently there's various mods and launcher add-ons that can help, but I can't really be bothered with the hassle.rpke

Can't speak to the controller, but I remember Project Cars 2 having decent VR integration, especially after I got pissed off at how convuluted it was to get Assets Corsa to work.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
So this happened

I did use the glasses spacer but guess my big rear end lenses were too much. Now I'm not going to use them again til the lens inserts arrive but has anyone tried to repair scratches? Should I just accept a bit of fuzziness and move on? (Bet it happened during that flashlight bit in Alyx)

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
You can theoretically repair them with some plastic/watch polish, but before doing that I'd verify if the scratch actually causes any noticeable visual degradation first. If it doesn't, I'd just leave it be, rather than risking polishing out the scratch but ultimately making it worse by changing the way the lens focuses light in a larger area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That Rockstar-backed open world VR game news got me thinking about it being a port of an existing game, which would make a lot of sense economically considering the scale of production open world games incur. Most people are talking about GTAV, but I think the better fit is RDR2. RDR2 is full of near-field interaction mechanics that could be adapted to VR in a very natural way. Lots of rummaging through cabinets and drawers, fishing, skinning, a greater focus on melee etc. Compared to GTAV where the primary interaction mechanism you have with the world is shooting a gun, with most of the world being a static facade. Even interactions as minor as creating split point ammo could be a physical action instead of something you do by rummaging through a menu.

RDR2's minigames are somewhat tedious on a flatscreen, it's one of the games most common criticisms, but in VR I think they're more likely to serve as immersion heighteners. I think back to an early game event where you're replacing a wheel on a wagon, on flatscreen it's a bunch of canned animations triggered by button presses and stick waggles, not very immersive and mostly feels like a QTE. But if you were physically doing the actions, provided they were implemented consistently and generally worked well, it'd completely change those sections for the better. They'd have greater meaning, being something you're actually experiencing instead of a glorified cutscene. It'd likely require a lot of work unraveling those abstractions, but the result could be an almost seamless virtual world allowing for an unparalleled level of natural interaction.