Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Is the dc of Salvation worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Disposable Scud posted:

Is the dc of Salvation worth watching?

No. It's mostly alternate or extended shots, and there's a stupid, pointless sequence of Moon Bloodgood topless.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I will say this, the show actually tries to do what everyone complains most of the Terminator movies do not: move the storyline along in new directions with new ideas. And the main reason it failed is because Fox is where sci fi shows went to die no matter how well they were actually doing with fans.
It failed because it aired on Friday.

The X-Files found an audience there, so Fox kept sticking genre shows there thinking they'd succeed and they never, ever drew big ratings.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
TSCC also lost a coinflip between it and Dollhouse being cancelled, and Dollhouse only won because it was cheap to make despite having half the audience of TSCC

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Timby posted:

stupid, pointless sequence of Moon Bloodgood topless.

How else are you supposed to seduce Terminators?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Seemlar posted:

TSCC also lost a coinflip between it and Dollhouse being cancelled, and Dollhouse only won because it was cheap to make despite having half the audience of TSCC

It also got hit really hard by the writer strike in the second season which is why it goes from the highs of the first season to a slightly more janky rear end telling that ultimately gets hurt in the second.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
went in cold and rented Dark Fate on Play for $1 and drat, I love this movie

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The third act drags it down in my view.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Dark Fate is as flawed as Salvation or Genisys in some ways, but it's elevated by Mackenzie Davis and Natalia Reyes. They hit home runs with the casting there and it carries the whole movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Dark Fate is as flawed as Salvation or Genisys in some ways, but it's elevated by Mackenzie Davis and Natalia Reyes. .

Wait, what? She is basically a sentient blank space in that movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Wait, what? She is basically a sentient blank space in that movie.

I mean, sure Mackenzie Davis is the real star of the show but I really enjoyed Reyes a lot as well. I've never heard someone say they thought she was a non-entity in the movie, that's a new one. She certainly held her own with Linda Hamilton, who was just ok.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Of all the things that stand out about the movie in my head right now, Reyes is like Homer Simpson in the Who Shot Mr. Burns thank you card.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
She's a hell of a lot less annoying than Furlong at the very least.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Basebf555 posted:

Dark Fate is as flawed as Salvation or Genisys in some ways, but it's elevated by Mackenzie Davis and Natalia Reyes.

It's nowhere near as flawed as those two. I actually liked Genisys the first time I saw it in cinemas but Dark Fate is absolutely a much better movie throughout. It doesn't have all the weird dropped things in Genisys like recreating the 80s but not throughout and making Kyle Reese an idiot muscleman. Nevermind the weird unexplained stuff from the dropped trilogy like the Asian guy being Robert Patrick T-1000 cop in 1984.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 6, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

She's a hell of a lot less annoying than Furlong at the very least.
Furlong is at least annoying in an entertaining way. You definitely get the feeling that Cameron wanted him to be a annoying little poo poo who suddenly has to grow up real fast. Reyes is just there.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 6, 2020

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Furlong is at least annoying in an entertaining way. You definitely get the feeling that Cameron wanted him to be a annoying little poo poo who suddenly has to grow up real fast. Reyes is just there.

Truth. I've quoted Furlong from that movie since I was like 7 years old. It's definitely an annoying performance, but it's pretty memorable and (unintentionally?) funny as hell at times. He's also supposed to be 10?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

iamsosmrt posted:

Truth. I've quoted Furlong from that movie since I was like 7 years old. It's definitely an annoying performance, but it's pretty memorable and (unintentionally?) funny as hell at times. He's also supposed to be 10?

Yeah, T2 is set in 1995 when John is 10; T1 is set May 12th 1984, John is born circa January 1985.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Stairmaster posted:

The third act drags it down in my view.

The big showdown has some very contrived interactions that just don't make sense. I think there are at least two points where they could've thrown the Rev-9 into the turbine but just don't? Also the Rev-9 talking to the good guys before engaging is kind of forced - why would it care about trying to convince them? And of course the inevitable "getting within five feet of a Terminator = instant death, except when it doesn't".

There are just a few too many overwrought callbacks to T2 which is unfortunate because it's a really solid entry in the series and both Gabriel Luna and McKenzie Davis are extremely good throughout. Almost all of the action is solid, Hamilton and Arnie are decent enough, Juanita Conor is fine for what her role is, it has some interesting political themes that don't really get explored enough, etc. If this is the last Terminator related thing that ever gets a major release I won't be mad at it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

If this is the last Terminator related thing that ever gets a major release I won't be mad at it.

:same: But more because I'm so sick and tired of them trying to reanimate the franchise and making it worse each time they do it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
This is literally the first time I have seen any praise for Natalia Reyes in that movie.

The biggest problem with Dark Fate is that it’s number six in the franchise. If it was the third movie I would have been a lot more lenient of the massive amount of callbacks and attempted escalations but we’ve already seen all this before.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Alhazred posted:

:yeah:

Furlong has an actual presence in the film, as well as some nice bits that get at show-don't-tell characterization like him trying to get this terrifying killer robot to be a good person despite himself being an unrepentant junior criminal.

Reyes is... around? I guess? She doesn't have a narrative arc or push anyone else through a narrative arc, she doesn't really do anything to drive anything in the plot, and the only thing that even connects with her background at all is that brief moment of the Rev-9 copying her dad.

You could literally replace her with a plot macguffin lockbox the characters have to haul around and it wouldn't change the narrative beats of the film in any way.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Concept: Skynet is a US AI and Legion is a Chinese AI. They wipe out humanity in a war and continue to fight as each other's 'main enemy'. The film is about them both sending terminators back in time to interfere with each other's development. Humans in both governments know about this but are collaborating in the hope they can nudge 'inevitable extinction' into a win for their side.

Our heroes have to do something about this.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Concept: Skynet is a US AI and Legion is a Chinese AI. They wipe out humanity in a war and continue to fight as each other's 'main enemy'. The film is about them both sending terminators back in time to interfere with each other's development. Humans in both governments know about this but are collaborating in the hope they can nudge 'inevitable extinction' into a win for their side.

"Time travel stuff from now-nonexistent directly contradictory timelines explicitly still happens and leads to weird poo poo" is possibly the only genuinely interesting new plot element out of Dark Fate, so nah.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Reyes' character is basically just running for her life the whole movie, so yea it's not exactly written as a complex role but at least she was a new character that I had no trouble rooting for. I think you could take Linda Hamilton and Arnold out of the movie and it would've been just as good, if not better.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I think you could take Linda Hamilton and Arnold out of the movie and it would've been just as good, if not better.

I agree that this movie would've better as a standalone and not Terminator 6.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Reyes' character is basically just running for her life the whole movie, so yea it's not exactly written as a complex role but at least she was a new character that I had no trouble rooting for. I think you could take Linda Hamilton and Arnold out of the movie and it would've been just as good, if not better.

I'm not saying that Linda Hamilton or Arnold made it a good movie, because it was bad, but without them you just have two emotionally blank "characters" running a lot.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Roadie posted:

"Time travel stuff from now-nonexistent directly contradictory timelines explicitly still happens and leads to weird poo poo" is possibly the only genuinely interesting new plot element out of Dark Fate, so nah.

Not really new, though, considering that also happened in Genisys.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's not Citizen Kane but it had a better story idea and more of a reason to exist than 3, 4, or 5.

It was a bit of a disappointment to listen to the director's commentary and hear how many more interesting ideas James Cameron personally nixed.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Alchenar posted:

I've always wanted someone to try to turn Colossus: The Forbin Project into a prequel to Terminator.

Mostly so it decanonizes the second and third Colossus books, which are godawful even in comparison to the first one, which is no masterpiece.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's not Citizen Kane but it had a better story idea and more of a reason to exist than 3, 4, or 5.

It was a bit of a disappointment to listen to the director's commentary and hear how many more interesting ideas James Cameron personally nixed.

He always does that. He pretty much always chooses mass worldwide appeal over possibly confusing anyone.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Darko posted:

He always does that. He pretty much always chooses mass worldwide appeal over possibly confusing anyone.

The commentary on Solaris (2002) with Soderbergh and Cameron makes it abundantly clear that Cameron is the worst kind of studio suit that he claims to despise.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

david_a posted:

This is literally the first time I have seen any praise for Natalia Reyes in that movie.

The biggest problem with Dark Fate is that it’s number six in the franchise. If it was the third movie I would have been a lot more lenient of the massive amount of callbacks and attempted escalations but we’ve already seen all this before.

If the previous 3 didn't exist and you made this same movie in the early 2000s or later it probably would've done pretty well.

The ICE stuff maybe wouldn't have been as topically relevant but you could always replace that with the nu-machine war messiah being a refugee from the middle east or something.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

What were some of the nixed ideas? I thought Cameron's involvement was limited to just including his name for more authenticity among people who might actually care about that sort of thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mat Cauthon posted:

What were some of the nixed ideas? I thought Cameron's involvement was limited to just including his name for more authenticity among people who might actually care about that sort of thing.

It generally was, Cameron was busy with production on the Avatar sequels and he'd occasionally email script notes from New Zealand. Tim Miller's just been throwing him under the bus non-stop ever since the movie bombed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

It generally was, Cameron was busy with production on the Avatar sequels and he'd occasionally email script notes from New Zealand. Tim Miller's just been throwing him under the bus non-stop ever since the movie bombed.

Jim's career can take it and Tim's can't, lol.

quote:

I'd have to go back and look, and not all of them were great, but essentially Tim had a lot of ideas on expanding what was already there and you would have ended up with something a little more macabre at times and certainly less straightforward (in a movie that already meanders during its third act). Sometimes James came up with good stuff like insisting that the terminator needs to be onsite to hack computers, which doesn't really make sense but leads to more interesting/memorable visuals when that inevitably involves murking people.

I should also say they had to majorly chop up the sequence when they're crossing back into the United States because that was originally a super-lame shootout sequence. Like if you're wondering why there was a bunch of coyote characters introduced, they were supposed to die tragically during that, and there's still a shot remaining where a guy is technically dying in the boat. That whole stretch was basically salvaged between cuts and reshoots.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

iamsosmrt posted:

"She's not my mother, Todd."

That performance is underrated.

While we're here, Xander Berkley's "HEY! Shut up you worthless piece 'a poo poo!" Gold.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I just want to add that I love that the t-1000 was acting out a domestic life and cooking beef loving stew.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dark Fate is bad but the other post-T2 sequels are varying degrees of much worse which helps it. The new Terminator was kinda cool at least.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

iamsosmrt posted:

I just want to add that I love that the t-1000 was acting out a domestic life and cooking beef loving stew.

Thought it was chopping carrots?

There's so many things in T2 that make you want to see more. How long was Robert Patrick role-playing his foster mom? Would he have done it for hours longer until he called, and what does that domestic situation look like?

Also when he said that Arnold came by earlier too. Show me that! Since the T-1000 clearly has a charm routine added (he's a fine looking boy!) I want to see how it went with the dumb robot Austrian.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alchenar posted:

When Grace said that Legion was supposedly developed for information warfare, I thought Russian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

jojoinnit posted:

Thought it was chopping carrots?

There's so many things in T2 that make you want to see more. How long was Robert Patrick role-playing his foster mom? Would he have done it for hours longer until he called, and what does that domestic situation look like?

Also when he said that Arnold came by earlier too. Show me that! Since the T-1000 clearly has a charm routine added (he's a fine looking boy!) I want to see how it went with the dumb robot Austrian.

Todd seems completely unfazed that a giant biker showed up asking for John.

It's wonderfully economical story telling. Also, I was listening to the Friendly Fire podcast review of T2 and there was a hilarious exchange between an older Gen-X host and the younger Millenial host about the quality of John's foster parents. The younger host expressed horror that Todd would let John just head out on his motorcycle on a Saturday morning without knowing where he was going, while the older host stated that was how people lived prior to cell phones and that Todd and Jannelle don't appear to being physically or mentally abusing John and just seem to be somewhat neglectful, so that's not really that bad as far as possible foster parents go. I mean, hell, Janelle is after him to clean his room, that's fairly responsible parenting.

Even John, who doesn't really like his foster parents, doesn't want to see them hurt or killed and tries to warn them off.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 13, 2020