Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Zero VGS posted:

I'm at a 500 person company which all has Microsoft E3 licenses. We acquired a 200 person company which is an entirely G-suite shop.

Got together with the other admins and we're leaning toward ditching the Google email and making everything Microsoft... the only advantage we could see is Google's mail servers have great spam filtering while Microsoft's are miserably at letting scammers through, but other than that Microsoft was winning on a value / integration perspective.

Is there anything I'm missing that could make a case toward decoupling licenses (i.e. change the E3 licenses to Office + Sharepoint without email, and move all email to Google)? Has anyone here gone in that direction before? Any serious pitfalls?

E3 licenses can create a feel of a second class worker since accessing network drive resources can only be done by uploading the document to Onedrive or Sharepoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Naramyth posted:

E3 licenses can create a feel of a second class worker since accessing network drive resources can only be done by uploading the document to Onedrive or Sharepoint.

What?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
we're still using office 2010. imagine how our employees feel

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

we're still using office 2010. imagine how our employees feel

I suspect most of them don’t know the difference.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Sorry. F1 licenses. Corporate got talked into moving factory workers on to F1 licenses as a money saving measure but didn’t think about how it shook out.

Also e3 licenses are per user not per PC making multi user PCs a pain in the dick.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

I'm at a 500 person company which all has Microsoft E3 licenses. We acquired a 200 person company which is an entirely G-suite shop.

Got together with the other admins and we're leaning toward ditching the Google email and making everything Microsoft... the only advantage we could see is Google's mail servers have great spam filtering while Microsoft's are miserably at letting scammers through, but other than that Microsoft was winning on a value / integration perspective.

Is there anything I'm missing that could make a case toward decoupling licenses (i.e. change the E3 licenses to Office + Sharepoint without email, and move all email to Google)? Has anyone here gone in that direction before? Any serious pitfalls?

The web interface for Outlook is poo poo compared to Gmail in terms of speed, but Outlook is awful at accessing Gmail accounts so it depends on what type of user you have - are they all familiar with Outlook and people joining the company have to learn how to use Gmail?

If nobody has started piling documents into Google Drive then a migration makes sense. G Suite is really good at certain things, but the complete lack of support for shared mailboxes (that don't consume a license) is always a bit annoying, especially if you have a high turnover with people on work experience or whatever and want to keep their mailboxes around for a few months.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Naramyth posted:

Sorry. F1 licenses. Corporate got talked into moving factory workers on to F1 licenses as a money saving measure but didn’t think about how it shook out.
Still not sure what your issue is, O365 license type has no affect on local network resources.

Unless you’re talking about Microsoft 365 F1, which I guess I see your point, but I always thought the intended use case was pretty clear.

quote:

Also e3 licenses are per user not per PC making multi user PCs a pain in the dick.

There’s an install flag for office that makes this a little easier, not sure how it would shake out if you’re using the windows subscription licensing from Microsoft365.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

will depend on users workflow more then technical or cost imo.

Google search is just better then Microsoft. gently caress lotus notes search is better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

There’s an install flag for office that makes this a little easier, not sure how it would shake out if you’re using the windows subscription licensing from Microsoft365.

You can use Shared Computer Activation on Office 365 ProPlus, the apps bundled with an E3/E5 subscription, or Microsoft 365 Business Premium. The activation happens automatically if you're logged in at a user with the license (and you're syncing your AD with Azure and have enabled SSO) and the token is stored in the user profile or a location of your choice.

If you have fewer computers than staff (and no requirement for people to install the apps at home) then subscribing to the apps doesn't really make sense - just get volume licenses for Office and use Exchange Online for the email.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Somehow management thinks we can save money by moving over 25K employees from O365 to G Suite. Pilot went live today. Migration costs alone kill the "potential" cost savings, not to mention retraining 25K employees, modifying business processes, and a thousand other things I can think of.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

will depend on users workflow more then technical or cost imo.

Google search is just better then Microsoft. gently caress lotus notes search is better.

"Huh, no hits on this search in Outlook, that's weird, I would swear I've discussed it before..."

*clears the search bar, clicks onto a different folder, goes back to the original folder, puts in exactly the same search tearm*

"Huh, hundreds of hits. Who knew?"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Fresh computer install.

Type "update" into the bar. No hits.

Type "updates" into the bar and "Windows Update Settings" comes up.

Microsoft search is poo poo. Utter poo poo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Fresh computer install.

Type "update" into the bar. No hits.

Type "updates" into the bar and "Windows Update Settings" comes up.

Microsoft search is poo poo. Utter poo poo.

Type Windows Update, nothing shows up. poo poo drives me crazy.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

angry armadillo posted:

Probably shouldn't admit this here, I'm not a project manager, I'm an engineer but I'm taking on all the project work for my team as a development thing. I'm aiming to join the PM team post covid if I do my homework
I went down the IT PM path once, somewhat similar to how you are doing it. I actually had a lot of fun managing (mostly smaller) projects, and the positives of the job always significantly outweighed the negatives. Plus, the PM knowledge I managed to acquire has helped me out immensely. If my career trajectory hadn't made a couple of pretty radical turns, I would probably have continued on the PM path for as long as I could have. People poo poo on PM's a lot, and in my experience rightly so most of the time, but if you are willing to take the time and effort to be good at it, you will love the job.

I can tell you, from both a computer toucher perspective and an executives, a good PM is absolutely invaluable. As much as a mediocre PM can destroy a project, a good PM can absolutely make the difference in a project. I only have 1 PM on my team, but she literally makes our department function 100% better than before she was here. From running a 15 million dollar project, to managing a Teams rollout for 300 users, everything is easier with a good PM. Unfortunately, the really good ones are rare, so if you like it and are good at it you will always have a job.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
Windows search gets really fun in non-persistent VDI. You either turn off Windows search to avoid the issues, which is a poo poo user experience. You leave it on, which is then a poo poo experience for the first several hours of the user using the machine as it builds a search cache. Or you use one of the assorted ways to roam the windows search cache... the one I've tried (Appsense/Ivanti) would randomly break, leaving a broken search cache which would mess up Windows search in general.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TheFace posted:

Windows search gets really fun in non-persistent VDI. You either turn off Windows search to avoid the issues, which is a poo poo user experience. You leave it on, which is then a poo poo experience for the first several hours of the user using the machine as it builds a search cache. Or you use one of the assorted ways to roam the windows search cache... the one I've tried (Appsense/Ivanti) would randomly break, leaving a broken search cache which would mess up Windows search in general.

Always disabled it in my non-persistent VDI setups. Like you said, too buggy and there were no good solutions. FSLogix seems to doing a good job so far. The profile (including index cache) is a VHD that gets attached / detatched.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Remote password changes :words:

Apologies if you're already aware of this, but Ctrl+Alt+End will send a "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" through a remote session, does that key combo bring up the menu that allows a password change?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

FISHMANPET posted:

Apologies if you're already aware of this, but Ctrl+Alt+End will send a "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" through a remote session, does that key combo bring up the menu that allows a password change?

It's not RDP directly, it's through the browser using Guacamole. That doesn't work in Guacamole.
We've also disabled the Guacamole on screen keyboard, and using the on screen keyboard in windows just displays a pop-up stating that that key combo is disabled. We've apparently got it locked down pretty good.

Up until recently I had just created a link to the shell command for users to bring up the security menu but apparently someone must have blocked that too, but nobody is fessing up. At this point I think I'm gonna do something dumb like use a website (like Passcore) and go through the PAINFUL steps of getting it approved.

Thanks for the reply though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

This is some good poo poo

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897718&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=465#post506319897

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

This is indeed some good poo poo. Would love to hear how this was handled afterwards.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have the laziest coworker that I've ever had to deal with. Wants to outsource thinking to other people, can't even follow instructions, just declares something to have not worked without trying.

On the plus side, when they come to me for help and I ask them to define the problem, what they would consider a resolution to be, and to write down what they have tried so far, their laziness prevents them from being bothered to do that, so I don't have to actually get involved with anything.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Agrikk posted:

I've been here for six years and I've been using notepad++ for my project management needs

I'm curious about how you have that structured, if you don't mind sharing

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Anyone having issues with Teams audio today?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bonzo posted:

Anyone having issues with Teams audio today?

Yep, had 2 calls drop this morning, or not even pick up.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Had people complaining about not being able to join a meeting around 30 minutes ago

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Internet Explorer posted:

Type Windows Update, nothing shows up. poo poo drives me crazy.

I've probably ranted about it a few times in this thread already, but I just CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW such a simple feature is so utterly broken. I just can't. I can drop a .desktop file in a folder in my home and Plasma will _immediately_ pick it up despite io watch functionality being profoundly broken on Linux. Windows just blows up randomly, can't find things despite substring matches, despite word for word matches.

For fucks sake, Plasma even finds aliases in .desktop files and different translations, instantly. How is Windows so bad at this, it doesn't make sense. They are the ones who have the resources to build this properly and robustly, they should absolutely nail this.

This has been going on for YEARS now.

HOW. HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW?!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

advertisements

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

LochNessMonster posted:

This is indeed some good poo poo. Would love to hear how this was handled afterwards.

Mods, please rename Clam Down to "Mitch".

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Reported for mod sass.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

I've probably ranted about it a few times in this thread already, but I just CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW such a simple feature is so utterly broken. I just can't. I can drop a .desktop file in a folder in my home and Plasma will _immediately_ pick it up despite io watch functionality being profoundly broken on Linux. Windows just blows up randomly, can't find things despite substring matches, despite word for word matches.

For fucks sake, Plasma even finds aliases in .desktop files and different translations, instantly. How is Windows so bad at this, it doesn't make sense. They are the ones who have the resources to build this properly and robustly, they should absolutely nail this.

You can stick that on the same pile with "sleep & hibernate features" of "things Microsoft hasn't really ever been able to get right."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Mods, please rename Clam Down to "Mitch".

Fight me irl

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fight me irl

Such a Mitch thing to say.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanatosian posted:

You can stick that on the same pile with "sleep & hibernate features" of "things Microsoft hasn't really ever been able to get right."

It's usually a trifecta of Microsoft, the vendor's implementation in BIOS (HP, I'm looking in your direction), and the ACPI standard. However, MS is the 800-pound gorilla in the room and should have fixed that poo poo decades ago.

And then there's error messages....

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

rafikki posted:

Had people complaining about not being able to join a meeting around 30 minutes ago

https://admin.microsoft.com/adminportal/home#/servicehealth?message=TM218014

Any user routed through the affected infrastructure unable to join meetings
TM218014, Microsoft Teams, Last updated: July 7, 2020 11:45 AM
Start time: July 7, 2020 7:28 AM, End time: July 7, 2020 7:58 AM
Status
Service restored
User impact
Users may have been unable to join meetings using Microsoft Teams.
Is this post helpful?
Latest message View history
Title: Any user routed through the affected infrastructure unable to join meetings

User Impact: Users may have been unable to join meetings using Microsoft Teams.

More info: Users intermittently may have also encountered issues when joining a small portion of Microsoft Teams live events.

Final status: While we were in the process of analyzing system logs to isolate the source of the problem, system monitoring indicated that the service had returned to normal health. We've confirmed that the problem is no longer occurring, and we'll continue to monitor the service to ensure that the problem does not happen again.

Scope of impact: Impact was specific to users routed through the affected infrastructure.

Start time: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 7:28 AM (1:28 PM UTC)

End time: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 7:58 AM (1:58 PM UTC)

This is the final update for the event.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Thanatosian posted:

Oh yeah, I found that Windows now disables WOL when it goes to sleep. So I can wake a PC via WOL, then I have a short window to log in, and if it goes to sleep it drops off the net.

My Linux workstation goes to sleep just fine and wakes up. I didn't have to gently caress around with any settings, it works ootb.

I just want to repeat this: My Linux workstation does sleep ootb, better than Windows.

Everything is wrong. :psyduck:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
welp. I was literally walking out for lunch and my boss roped me into a Webex with Barney the Dinosaur from IBM Spectrum Virtualize.

He seems pretty nice, but I'm hungry and really don't want to sit here and listen to a salesman explain to my boss what a SAN is.
If I hear 'Personal Cloud" one more time I quit.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Also:

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'm curious about how you have that structured, if you don't mind sharing

I have a text doc for every project. Each doc looks like this:

code:
Project Name
-------------------------------------

Statement of work

Deadline: yyyy/mm/dd -  explanation of why this deadline is the deadline

Flowchart of tasks:

[x] Task 1 (owner@)
[x] Task 2 (owner@)
[ ]      Task aa (owner@)
[ ]      Task ab (owner@)
[ ] Task 3 (owner@)
[ ]      Task ac (owner@)
[ ]      Task ad (owner@)

Journal of updates

99. most resent update
98. previous update
01. Initial update

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 7, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Antigravitas posted:

In Windows 10 I can type "notpad" and it opens Notepad but yeah, I know what you mean about tying the same for other programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

mllaneza posted:

It's usually a trifecta of Microsoft, the vendor's implementation in BIOS (HP, I'm looking in your direction), and the ACPI standard. However, MS is the 800-pound gorilla in the room and should have fixed that poo poo decades ago.

And then there's error messages....

An Unknown Error Occurred.