Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

kopasetic posted:

my hospital is up to 105 covid patients. ran out of ventilators today. having to play musical chairs with CRRT machines because almost half of them need dialysis. nephrologist shave never been so busy.

half need dialysis wtf drat, what's the age spread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Mostly young this time or?

most aren’t elderly at least. probably a third are under 45.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

There are heaps of sharks mate

Also

Apparently some people have already been caught trying to swim north though.

tame the sharks and learn to ride them like jetskis

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dialysis now means dialysis forever right

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Nocturtle posted:

The ICE international student thing is a disaster for US university's bottom lines, and they weren't doing all that well to begin with. It's an obvious attempt to punish international students by requiring them to pointlessly risk their health during a pandemic, with the happy bonus that it will crush already struggling schools. US universities are still relatively prestigious, but if this admin manages to depress international student enrollment that is going to change very quickly.

It's 100% intentional. Destroying universities and academia is the goal for Stephen Miller, Kushner, DeVos, Rebekah Mercer and a host of other powerful figures in the Trump administration.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
lmao just over 1,000 new cases in washington state today

a month ago we were getting 200 new cases a day and everyone on the local subreddit was crowing about how awesome it was to start re-opening. lmao

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
oh okay cool
https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1280311919153479682

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

kopasetic posted:

my hospital is up to 105 covid patients. ran out of ventilators today. having to play musical chairs with CRRT machines because almost half of them need dialysis. nephrologist shave never been so busy.

haha machine goes crrrrrt

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

mod sassinator posted:

lmao just over 1,000 new cases in washington state today

a month ago we were getting 200 new cases a day and everyone on the local subreddit was crowing about how awesome it was to start re-opening. lmao

even the states that had flattened the curve are gonna be screwed because 95% of Americans said "gently caress this noise, it's party time" over Memorial Day weekend

last weekend threw rocket fuel on the fire

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009

shovelbum posted:

it isn’t a guarantee but a large portion will be. I mean if they survive. almost 100% of patients needing dialysis are also on a vent.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kopasetic posted:

most aren’t elderly at least. probably a third are under 45.

wait did they need dialysis before or....?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kopasetic posted:

it isn’t a guarantee but a large portion will be. I mean if they survive. almost 100% of patients needing dialysis are also on a vent.

a majority of patients that need vent support still die right?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

shovelbum posted:

no, i had a patient under 45 that needed it for like a week and then mostly recovered. but yeah...

although my nephrology friend in NJ had the manufacturer tell her that she couldnt get more dialysate if she wanted so she had to choose who got dialysis :D

Uuudar has issued a correction as of 02:35 on Jul 7, 2020

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol arirona

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

a majority of patients that need vent support still die right?

yea the numbers I’ve seen show 60-70% of vent patients die, though comorbidities play a large part in that.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'd wager a guess that the majority are new flyers to the dialysis club. It feels incredibly ominous that my hospital is down to single digit ronis here in delaware, I think we peaked near 100 back in april/may. I haven't had to scan a roni since may and everything feels incredibly lax in regards to corona now.

Except anesthesia who is being a bunch of insufferable cunts and demanding a negative covid test within 4 days of any elective procedure. We've been canceling so many mri anesthesia outpatients because of this and people are super mad because we already had to put off their scans since february. The 4 day time frame feels ridiculously arbitrary and pointless anyway considering how poor quality testing is and false negatives/timing issues. Most of the anesthesia cases are just deep sedation with propofol and rarely any airways.

Asproigerosis has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Jul 7, 2020

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
The lack of testing is going to prevent the numbers from getting much higher and it's going to take weeks and months before the bodies really start stacking up.

quote:

Lines for coronavirus tests have stretched around city blocks and tests ran out altogether in at least one site on Monday, new evidence that the country is still struggling to create a sufficient testing system months into its battle with Covid-19.

At a testing site in New Orleans, a line formed at dawn. But city officials ran out of tests five minutes after the doors opened at 8 a.m., and many people had to be turned away.

In Phoenix, where temperatures have topped 100 degrees, residents have waited in cars for as long as eight hours to get tested.

And in San Antonio and other large cities with mounting caseloads of the virus, officials have reluctantly announced new limits to testing: The demand has grown too great, they say, so only people showing symptoms may now be tested — a return to restrictions that were in place in many parts of the country during earlier days of the virus.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/1280315041544167424?s=19

Morbus
May 18, 2004

but do they hav dine in applebees?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

sincx posted:

wow i wasn't expecting australia to balkanize first

The other state borders have been closed since March, this was the last one left open, though the NT is planning on reopening theirs for interstate travellers on the 17th July with visitors needing to apply online for approval. That will probably exclude Victoria now.
All other interstate borders are closed.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/portaldaband/status/1280274049877377029

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i don't speak Portuguese but I can tell you are speakin' my language baby!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This poo poo sucks
https://twitter.com/doug_hanks/status/1280239948638150657

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I remember hearing Bolsanaro say that he is not worried about getting infected because he used to do sports when he was younger.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
bolsonaro and herman cain dying on the same day would be something

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

that guy is 100% gonna die

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

man, Florida is just gonna Thelma and Louise the poo poo out of this Corona cliff.

https://twitter.com/abc27/status/1280263688017108992

Holy poo poo!

The department here has recently walked back on their (still inadequate) agreement to space desks 6 feet apart and now insist that desks can be 3 feet apart as long as the students are facing the same direction. That was what they actually said. It's enraging.

There's a meeting on Thursday and I've signed up to give oral testimony.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

:sickos:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Wamsutta posted:

some of the pictures make it look like he's infected with the t-virus

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Wamsutta posted:

I remember thinking similarly about Boris Johnson.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he's got the Last of Us fungus in him. gonna turn into a dang mushroom.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

Hasn't this already happened a few times? Didn't I laugh about this same exact situation in April and then again in May already? Am I going crazy?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

guaranteed trump is freaking out rn thinking he’s gonna get the roni

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I remember thinking similarly about Boris Johnson.

Boris hadn't been stabbed through a lung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Lol the New South Wales (ie Sydney) and Victoria (ie Melbourne) border is now not only closed but also militarized to keep the roni out. 500 troops deployed on top of the cop presence at every road.