Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CloudyLameHog-mobile.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Shouldn't have gotten their tires giant sawblade thing changed at Walmart :(

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
My first thought when I saw that was "why isn't he using the dozer behind him to push on that bar?".

Work smart, not hard! Also that breaker bar is a hero.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Work smart, not hard! Also that breaker bar is a hero.

No kidding.

Did have to laugh at using the wrench as a cheater. God know how many times I did that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like that it still takes considerable effort for the bulldozer to do it. Who the hell put that bolt on? Two bulldozers?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Probably somebody with a 1" impact gun. My guess is it's some part of a logging operation, so it the bolts are likely pretty well rusted in place too.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cojawfee posted:

I like that it still takes considerable effort for the bulldozer to do it. Who the hell put that bolt on? Two bulldozers?

Bigger bulldozer :colbert:

Edit: :killdozer:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Also that breaker bar is a hero.

So much this. I was expecting it to just snap the head off. Or snap the socket. Or have the socket pop off of the head of the bolt...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

STR posted:

So much this. I was expecting it to just snap the head off. Or snap the socket. Or have the socket pop off of the head of the bolt...

God bless Harbor Freight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I put a visible curve into a breaker bar trying to get the nut off a beetle drum many years ago, and I was only using a 3 foot cheater.

That one taking the load from a fuckin' bulldozer and not ending with a 90 degree bend is pretty drat impressive.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

xzzy posted:

I put a visible curve into a breaker bar trying to get the nut off a beetle drum many years ago, and I was only using a 3 foot cheater.

That one taking the load from a fuckin' bulldozer and not ending with a 90 degree bend is pretty drat impressive.

Excalibreaker bar.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The handle ain't poo poo. The little bolt thats holding the handle to the drive part is the real hero as far as I'm concerned.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Lead wiping. Produces a superb finish but reaaaaaally not healthy to say the least

Vehicle health is a higher priority than personal health

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I snapped one off at the head while standing on it to remove Excalibur the crank nut from an F23A Honda engine. Finally broke down and bought the weird special socket.

I have a photo somewhere...

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 6, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

The handle ain't poo poo. The little bolt thats holding the handle to the drive part is the real hero as far as I'm concerned.

The last 1/2" one I broke ( a fairly cheap one) did that, then bent the hell out of one of the ears the bolt went in. I think I still have it somewhere as a punch or club...
The 12" Stanley I have has held up well, including having a 3' galvanized pipe cheater bar on it to break loose the crank pulley bolt on a Mazda rotary engine, which is loc-tited and torqued to apparently 1700 foot pounds or so. The one holding the flywheel on is also impressive, but at least it's a 43 mm (or so) nut, so you expect it to be *tight*. The front pulley bolt is only, like, a 14mm head, I think.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I usually twist the square drive peg off.

I haven't ever since I bought my 3/4 drive HF breaker. It'll handle 4 feet of pipe for a total lever arm of 5 feet and an angry redneck reefing on it. Worth every penny. I've broken a few 3/4 to 1/2 reducers but eventually found a second hand Proto one that's got a few years of abuse in it now.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I was hoping that video had the actual sound that was going on, instead of some lovely song. I wanted to hear the crack as the bolt finally moved.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

You Am I posted:

I was hoping that video had the actual sound that was going on, instead of some lovely song. I wanted to hear the crack as the bolt finally moved.

You did, like 8 weeks ago. You thought it was maybe a car backfiring outside or something.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Or a gunshot.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Harbor Freight has added an additional model to their jack stand recall, and will now offer cash refunds or store credit for any of their jack stands, if you feel unsafe about them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/js-de...14,387,685&uid=

Here's the text of the email I got:

quote:

To the Harbor Freight Community:

I'm writing to apologize. I often reach out to tell you about Harbor Freight's commitment to quality and all the investments we've made to deliver quality tools at the lowest prices. Your trust matters deeply to me and I'm proud of how far we've come. So when we have a product recall, it hurts.

A few months ago, we recalled our Pittsburgh 3 ton and 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 61196 and 61197) due to a manufacturer's defect. We asked customers to return them and receive a gift card that could be used to purchase replacement jack stands. I felt terrible about that recall because you should never have a concern about the safety of any of our products.

Today, I feel even worse. I'm disappointed and embarrassed because we've identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We're now adding these jack stands to our recall. Unfortunately, this defect wasn't discovered during the initial recall investigation. If you own these jack stands or any of the jack stands in our original recall, whether or not you have had an issue with them, please stop using them immediately and bring them back to your local Harbor Freight Store for a full cash refund or store credit (see details here).

We have investigated all of our other Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 56372 and 57308) as well as the Pittsburgh 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56368, 56369 and 56370) and Pittsburgh 12 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56374 and 56375) and did not find the defect. Although none of these other jack stands are being recalled, if you own any of them and have any concern whatsoever, please bring them back and we'll give you a full cash refund or store credit for those as well.

I want to apologize to all of our customers. While we've dramatically grown our team of engineers and inspectors, and intensified our tests and inspections, I assure you that the lessons learned from this will drive further improvement.

As the owner and founder of Harbor Freight, I want you to know that we stand behind every product we sell and that safety will always be our top priority.

Sincerely,

Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Welp those are my stands, good thing after the last recall I replaced them anyway.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So the jack stands that replaced the previous jack stands are being recalled as well.

I wonder what the gently caress their mission statement is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
their mission statement is do it as cheaply as possible, i think that's fine for some tools

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Colostomy Bag posted:

"A grinder and paint make us the welders we ain't."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Colostomy Bag posted:

So the jack stands that replaced the previous jack stands are being recalled as well.

The person responsible for recalling the jack stands that replace the recalled jack stands, has been recalled.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

cakesmith handyman posted:

The person responsible for recalling the jack stands that replace the recalled jack stands, has been recalled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZJC5ORod7I

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

their mission statement is do it as cheaply as possible, i think that's fine for some tools

You are correct. Their official mission statement:

Mission: Our mission at Harbor Freight Tools is to deliver value to the hardworking by providing high quality tools at the lowest prices.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The ones I have (69597) aren't even listed as an option. I have no idea if they are safe or not.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

AFewBricksShy posted:

The ones I have (69597) aren't even listed as an option. I have no idea if they are safe or not.

i don't think i'd trust them after all of this

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I had 2 sets that were not in the original recall but now are, I stopped using them as soon as the first recall came out and replaced them with other ones. I fully expect that other brands will have sold axel stands from the same plant and have the same issue but haven't issued a recall. There are two ways to look at it, good on HF for finding the issue and giving a refund/credit while others don't even do a recall or never trust their products for anything safety related every again. Personally I give them credit for doing the recall but don't think I will use their stands again.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sure, and the owner actually said (well maybe written by someone else probably) some hubris comments.

The trick is, how many factories actually churned out the jack stands under different names.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The weld issue concerns me more than the pawl issue, because I can visually inspect the pawl myself but it's hard to tell if a MIG weld has good penetration or not sometimes. I checked all my stands for the recalled part number when the first recall hit. I'll probably start checking the pawls before using them to actually hold cars up, normally I just use them to hold axles I'm working on up off the shop floor though.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Going back to who else might sell these under a different name. Above is one of the HF recalled stands next to the exact same model sold by Big Red. Now the sku is not the same so is it also defective? Who knows but it came from the same place so at least one seller on Amazon where I got these from is selling the same thing with different stickers.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BigPaddy posted:

Above is one of the HF recalled stands next to the exact same model sold by Big Red. Now the sku is not the same so is it also defective?

Search your heart for the answer, which you know is...of course they're both bad, they're the same.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems like the only solution you can trust right now is those car stands made out of 2x4's.

Or gently caress lifting cars at all and install a pit.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

xzzy posted:

Or gently caress lifting cars at all and install a pit.

In the eighties we had a stairwell going in the underground lined with concrete walls. This made pretty nice car pit, except it was a pit too wide for normal cars. So my dad or grandpa built a support out of 4x4 beams next to one of the walls.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sure, and the owner actually said (well maybe written by someone else probably) some hubris comments.

The trick is, how many factories actually churned out the jack stands under different names.

I'm about 100% sure that the set of jackstands in my garage from Princess Auto are the same ones with a different sticker. Princess Auto hasn't put it on their recall list.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd expect that unless the jackstands are clearly stamped MADE IN USA OUT OF BATTLESHIP STEEL they all come from the same three factories regardless of the manufacturer, and are all equally susceptible to the same types of manufacturing error. The fact that one model number hasn't been recalled doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't got any hidden problems.

Maybe the best move would just be to use six stands instead of four, so one can fail without bringing the car down.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sagebrush posted:

I'd expect that unless the jackstands are clearly stamped MADE IN USA OUT OF BATTLESHIP STEEL they all come from the same three factories regardless of the manufacturer, and are all equally susceptible to the same types of manufacturing error. The fact that one model number hasn't been recalled doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't got any hidden problems.

Maybe the best move would just be to use six stands instead of four, so one can fail without bringing the car down.

We regret to inform you it was a MADE IN USA OUT OF BRATTLESHIP STEEL sticker, which was made and applied in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Assembled in the USA from globally sourced parts.