Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Eej posted:

dunno what cru you've been playing but there's a ton of different weapons being used right now

You mean that guy in the console thread who’s been using the same sidearm and trace rifle for *checks notes* four years of videos now? Ok.

Yeah there’s a ton of different weapons being used right now, if you wanna suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Any kind goons know any more info about that rumor that says the new Trace Rifle that turns people into balls?
You know that it gets added today?
Need something to get hyped about......

....balls.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I got you some balls right here!!!!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I get to run Trackless Waste again so new "meta" is good.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I'll give my brief feedback regarding the CBMM, which I support as a concept.

I've had games where I laughed my way to a K/D ratio of over 3 using nothing but Jotunn (fusion scav ahoy) and games where not a single person on my entire team got even a single kill because the opposition was clearly running entirely wallhacks and aimbots and it was mercied in amazing time.

The intent was there. Outcome dubious. Suspect playlist numbers are going to thin out. Lack of solid anti cheat is a fatal issue.

Yet the lack of anti cheat doesn't seem to hurt the game very much. Except Trials, if you want to play that without cheaters on PC, you're playing on Stadia.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Rubellavator posted:

I get to run Trackless Waste again so new "meta" is good.

My friend, Trackless Waste was always meta in an anti barrier smg world.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Sample_text posted:

Any kind goons know any more info about that rumor that says the new Trace Rifle that turns people into balls?

....balls.

Moments of Triumph starts today and one of those triumphs is:

quote:

Hive-God Optometrist: Find and destroy all of Savathun’s Eyes

So it's a pretty good chance the trace rifle drops today.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I guess that explains those weird orbs all over some planets. It was pretty much guaranteed that that's what they were related to anyway.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Sample_text posted:

....balls.

it does, the little mini trailer showed it a couple of weeks ago. 3 point dunk darkness balls

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

wiegieman posted:

My friend, Trackless Waste was always meta in an anti barrier smg world.

we're talking pvp

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I really hope Umbral Engrams stick around. Or at least, they get replaced with something similarly decent. I've gotten some really excellent drops (I currently have a chest that's got massive spikes in my two preferred stats) and it's so pleasant to play this game when the grinding I do actually means I'm working towards getting something that I want.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kith posted:

I really hope Umbral Engrams stick around. Or at least, they get replaced with something similarly decent. I've gotten some really excellent drops (I currently have a chest that's got massive spikes in my two preferred stats) and it's so pleasant to play this game when the grinding I do actually means I'm working towards getting something that I want.

Agreed. There just needs to be a more general way to focus the loot pool, instead of a little bad luck protection in a couple of raids, and a way to kind of focus a certain type of seasonal engram. There's nothing more frustrating than playing all day and not getting a single drop of the gun you're chasing, much less a good roll.

I played a shitload more Iron Banner and only got 1 more forward path... with pulse monitor. gently caress you bungo!! :argh:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Sample_text posted:

....balls.

Bungie just said there is an exotic weapon quest in the tower as of today, and there's a triumph for destroying savanthun's eyes as well, so my guess is yes.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

FARMABLE RAIDS GUYS

I can finally get my Telesto catalyst. :allears:

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

I would say that 75% or more of the guns I see in survival fall into one of these six boxes: Mountaintop, 600 AR, aggressive shotgun, revoker, beloved, spare/promise. Cold Denial, Bastion and Suros are occasional sights. Everything else elicits a "whoa, look at what he's running".
Yeah, the summary from the Trials report this weekend shows that 10 guns make up for half of the kills, and it matches your list pretty closely:

I'm sure the specific breakdown of percentages varies between game modes (and platform, and active bounties/quests, etc.), but unless you're playing Scorched I think you'll see a similar breakdown. You could interpret this data as highlighting which weapons are currently "too strong" in PvP, or you could look at it more generally as evidence that the vast majority of weapons (and/or weapon archetypes) are currently poorly suited for PvP. Whatever the interpretation, it seems like there is some level of wasted potential when the PvP mode of a looter shooter encourages using only a tiny portion of the loot pool. It's also odd how arbitrary the guns on the list seem, as most of them aren't tied to any kind of 'aspirational' activity that would justify the gun being slightly superior as a reward for completing a difficult/arduous task (with exceptions for the ritual weapons on the list).

In Light-enabled PvP modes, Sunsetting will only affect 4 of the weapons on the list when it gets implemented next season (and 1 of the 4 weapons is Drang, which has been brought up as an example of a weird side effect of sunsetting because of how closely it is tied to the non-sunset exotic weapon Sturm). Gnawing Hunger (by far the most used primary weapon) would've been affected by sunsetting, but Bungie re-released it into the world loot pool this season (without any changes). Similarly, The Summoner seems like it will be updated to the current season's level cap for as long as it remains in the Trials loot pool. This means there's no reason to expect the current PvP balance/meta to significantly change/evolve due to sunsetting any time in the next year, with the exception of how players to decide to replace their low-zoom sniper rifles and Mountaintop (if their level cap prevents these from being 1 hit kills. I assume the 200 jump in Light Level next season will prevent Revoker/Beloved headshots from being fatal, but if this isn't the case then I suspect the weapons will stick around even then). The implementation of sunsetting in limited number of PvP modes is an ineffective way to promote better balance or to encourage a more dynamic meta, despite Bungie's claim that those were some of the goals behind adding the weapon-specific level cap.

On a side note, Trials saw its first increase in player count in a long time, with about a 10% increase in players. I was a little surprised to see this since it was also an Iron Banner week, but I guess players were attracted by the 3-win reward (gauntlets) and less concerned about being underleveled after a month of grinding.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I mean, I hate PvP for more general not-liking-deathmatch-based-PvP-in-general reasons that are completely outside the fact that D2's PvP is dogshit.

It's just ridiculous that people who idolize the PvP and people who like the PvE have to share a space. Just make the quests opt for one or the other. Stop making me play PvP, and stop making PvP-lovers farm strikes. Simple.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think that it’s ok to have both groups of players chasing after the same thing, but give people different means of acquiring them. Make exotic quests have both PvP and PvE objectives and only require players to complete one path

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You will always have to engage in both pvp and pve if you want to experience all the content and obtain all the loot.

Up to you if the juice is worth the squeeze

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think that it’s ok to have both groups of players chasing after the same thing, but give people different means of acquiring them. Make exotic quests have both PvP and PvE objectives and only require players to complete one path

The thing is, there aren't really separate "groups". Almost literally without exception, destiny players partake heavily and voluntarily of both the pvp and the pve. It's nice that they're moving in a "play your own way" direction with quest design and upgrade materials, but you will always feel like you're missing out on something if you're sticking to one half of the destiny experience.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 7, 2020

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The thing is, there aren't really separate "groups". Almost literally without exception, destiny players partake heavily and voluntarily of both the pvp and the pve. It's nice that they're moving in a "play your own way" direction with quest design and upgrade materials, but you will always feel like you're missing out on something if you're sticking to one half of the destiny experience.

Hi, PvE only player here. The only PvP I touch is Gambit and I really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything! I have zero interest in playing Cru outside of Team Scorched and I would honestly be delighted if they quit making PvP required for some of this poo poo. As is, i'm never finishing the catalyst for Tommy's or Witherhoard because I genuinely have zero interest in jumping in Cru :v:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

This game would have been dead years ago if not for PvP content. Who the gently caress actually wants to keep running the same lovely strikes and events over and over forever?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Wheeee posted:

This game would have been dead years ago if not for PvP content. Who the gently caress actually wants to keep running the same lovely strikes and events over and over forever?

People who play co-op looter shooters? :shrug:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Wheeee posted:

About 40,000 people, interestingly! Enough to get some Updoots on reddit posts but not enough for Bungie to design the game around

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I would suggest looking in a week that is not an IB week, or failing that, an IB week near the end of the season when most have finished the power grind.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would never touch pvp if I didn’t have to for a bunch of the guns and would not feel like I was missing a thing lol

You can just play other games when you get bored of destiny you know. you can do that

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

wiegieman posted:

I would suggest looking in a week that is not an IB week, or failing that, an IB week near the end of the season when most have finished the power grind.

This is representative data of nearly every day across the whole season. It's one of the most popular seasons yet, and it's squarely on the back of the great changes to PvP!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

You can just play other games when you get bored of destiny you know. you can do that

So, in general this is never a Good Post since it's just tone-policing and trying to shut down any negative conversation of a Thing you personally like, but out of curiosity who was it directed at? Who's saying they're bored of destiny?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Deeturbomber posted:

People who play co-op looter shooters? :shrug:

While on the surface Destiny has some of the trappings of a looter shooter, the PvE content has--mostly--not been designed in a manner to make it infinitely repeatable, whether through randomized maps--haunted forest's concept should have been explored more--randomized loot making anything available through various activities, or simply adding content at a rapid enough pace.

Pretty much anything can be fun with friends, that's not much of an endorsement of a game, where Destiny has failed as a PvE game is in failing to create compelling repeatable content. Zooming around and doing a few public events or well can break things up, but ultimately so much of the game like strikes are content that just sucks poo poo to repeat over and over. It's an MMO without the strong in-game social interactions and community feeling.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The game should obviously have both pvp and PvE because of how much they offer to different players but requiring people to play a mode they don’t enjoy for important things like Recluse isn’t fun

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The flip side and obvious next step is that after you beat a raid its loot pool should be added to your crucible loot pool

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

requiring people to play a mode they don’t enjoy for important things like Recluse isn’t fun

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The flip side and obvious next step is that after you beat a raid its loot pool should be added to your crucible loot pool

:thunk:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

important things like Recluse

Bro have I got some GREAT news for you!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

There’s a minimum amount of PvE that everyone’s obviously expected to play, if you’re someone who hasn’t touched a piece of PvE content since Forsaken then more power to you but it seems pretty obvious that PvP is what players are expected to do in-between PvE “story” content whatever that may be

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Actually, the PvE "story" content exists to draw people in and get them hooked into the skinner box so as to increase engagement and retention, the same reason Respawn threw in the towel on their campaign model from Titanfall and added a traditional campaign to Titanfall 2.

Ascribing motivations to a corporation aside, putting together a successful raid team is a significantly greater barrier to entry and pain in the rear end than queuing up for some Crucible, and that you are so adamantly against ever having to touch a game mode you don't like while still defending the idea that other people should have to engage with the bits you like is just sort of lol

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/HkikftD.mp4 here's me having more fun in 6 seconds of pvp than the entire last year of pve.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Actually, the PvE "story" content exists to draw people in and get them hooked into the skinner box so as to increase engagement and retention, the same reason Respawn threw in the towel on their campaign model from Titanfall and added a traditional campaign to Titanfall 2.

Yeah the PvP mode is definitely not trying to engage or retain players either, no Skinner box mechanics with rank ups and exp bars filling up there

quote:

Ascribing motivations to a corporation aside, putting together a successful raid team is a significantly greater barrier to entry and pain in the rear end than queuing up for some Crucible, and that you are so adamantly against ever having to touch a game mode you don't like while still defending the idea that other people should have to engage with the bits you like is just sort of lol

Then just add everything to the global crucible loot pool who gives a gently caress, the point is that locking weapons behind any mode is stupid

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wheeee posted:

While on the surface Destiny has some of the trappings of a looter shooter, the PvE content has--mostly--not been designed in a manner to make it infinitely repeatable, whether through randomized maps--haunted forest's concept should have been explored more--randomized loot making anything available through various activities, or simply adding content at a rapid enough pace.

Pretty much anything can be fun with friends, that's not much of an endorsement of a game, where Destiny has failed as a PvE game is in failing to create compelling repeatable content. Zooming around and doing a few public events or well can break things up, but ultimately so much of the game like strikes are content that just sucks poo poo to repeat over and over. It's an MMO without the strong in-game social interactions and community feeling.

PVP has P2P, lag, cheaters, and aim assist everywhere. It's cool for a bit but I'm not investing serious time or effort into it. There are many valid reasons why people don't take it serious especially when there's more varied choices than ever out there to play. That's not even getting into how to get good guns for PVP which involves playing the PVE you guys think "doesn't matter".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PVP would be awesome if there was skill based matchmaking and if the gambit enemies leveled down as well.

Since there isn’t that it’s not nearly as fun especially for a new player.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RBX posted:

PVP has P2P, lag, cheaters, and aim assist everywhere.

Jesus christ, STILL? PC is at least 20% of the daily population; is Bungie really just saying "seeya" to that entire pillar of the community?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Jesus christ, STILL? PC is at least 20% of the daily population; is Bungie really just saying "seeya" to that entire pillar of the community?

you only see cheaters in trials and comp really.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I mean, generally the game is bad because we're even having to have these arguments. The overarching model of the game itself is a shambles right now from just about every perspective, regardless of the mode you enjoy playing.
None of it is rewarding enough whether you're playing PvP or PvE, unless you just like playing Crap Halo Multiplayer, and don't need any progression or variety to keep you hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Deeturbomber posted:

I mean, generally the game is bad because we're even having to have these arguments. The overarching model of the game itself is a shambles right now from just about every perspective, regardless of the mode you enjoy playing.
None of it is rewarding enough whether you're playing PvP or PvE, unless you just like playing Crap Halo Multiplayer, and don't need any progression or variety to keep you hooked.

I've been playing the remastered Halo games as they come out and just lol if anyone thinks those are better multiplayer experiences. It probably helps that I never owned an xbox and barely played them as a kid.