Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Eopia posted:

God what. Is this some terrible spinoff thing or something.

kubo did a backstory chapter for ulq in one of the art books. He's a white bat hollow born in a pit full of black bat hollows. Can't Fear Your Own World describes barragan as a primordial hollow whose been in existence since the time of the soul king.

Kild posted:

Barragan Harribel and Ulq are all vastolordes and Stark was a natural arrancar or something in the light novels.

Stark being a natural arrancar is show in the manga since when aizen meets him he's already broken his mask off and spawned lille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Dawgstar posted:

Remember how Yoruichi's thing was being really fast, too?

:smith:

You deserve better, Yoruichi.

Maybe the new anime will show her some mercy and just cut the whole Askin fight out. Just don't even have her show up.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

kubo did a backstory chapter for ulq in one of the art books. He's a white bat hollow born in a pit full of black bat hollows. Can't Fear Your Own World describes barragan as a primordial hollow whose been in existence since the time of the soul king.

Stark being a natural arrancar is show in the manga since when aizen meets him he's already broken his mask off and spawned lille.

I thought it was subtly implied that Lille spawned Stark, though neither was really sure.

Schubalts posted:

Gin was playing an extreme long con to get his chance to kill Aizen.

I meant in relation to Rangiku. She seemed to be his whole motivation. Was he just trying to stop Aizen to protect her from his plan? Whatever that plan actually was.

I like that the Hollow were all weak enough for the Shinigami to defeat all them without any casualties even after powering up, but the Shinigami never thought to just go over to their world and routinely clean up to prevent humans from getting preyed on.

Indeed, the only people who died were on Aizen's team and Genryuusei's arm.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I meant in relation to Rangiku. She seemed to be his whole motivation. Was he just trying to stop Aizen to protect her from his plan? Whatever that plan actually was.

I like that the Hollow were all weak enough for the Shinigami to defeat all them without any casualties even after powering up, but the Shinigami never thought to just go over to their world and routinely clean up to prevent humans from getting preyed on.

I think Gin was out for revenge because Aizen had in the past either attacked her directly or she was hurt due to one of his experiments or something. I don't think Rangiku herself had any particular value to Aizen.

I choose to believe that a lot of the stuff about vasto lordes being a threat and why they don't just invade hueco mundo is a result of disinformation or just a lack of information. Obviously the real reason is that they're not going to kill off the popular shounen heroes, but I could easily see that there was a lot of hidden government bureaucracy around like a vasto lorde showed up and wrecked house 500 years ago and they only barely managed to fight it off at the time and that just grew as an unknown threat. Also it seems to be a lot easier for hollows to move between worlds than for shinigami.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shadow0 posted:

I thought it was subtly implied that Lille spawned Stark, though neither was really sure.

Rangiku had a bit of the Soul King's spirit in her, sorta like how Ukitake had the Soul King's arm. Except in her case it was like a fingernail or something.

Aizen extracted it from her for his experiments, and Gin saw that, which is why Gin's held a grudge against Aizen since then.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Specifically aizen used it to make his hogyoku

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
"Finally, after thousands of years, my chance has arrived."
*A few seconds later*
"I guess I'll die without accomplishing literally anything."

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't here where the "Hoagie" nickname originated from?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it isn't the most complex nickname, so it might well have been created independently at any number of places.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Rangiku had a bit of the Soul King's spirit in her, sorta like how Ukitake had the Soul King's arm. Except in her case it was like a fingernail or something.

Aizen extracted it from her for his experiments, and Gin saw that, which is why Gin's held a grudge against Aizen since then.

She really needed that fingernail in her.

I wonder what powers it bestowed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth TNT posted:

She really needed that fingernail in her.

I wonder what powers it bestowed.

Anti-gravity.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Bleach stressed me out so much that seeing this thread update also stresses me out. I guess in kind of a fun way. Painful nostalgia.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I always liked the ambiguity of their relationship. You didn't even really get the sense he was in love with her in a traditional romantic sense, it just made this dude seem like he had never had a normal one in his 100-year existence. Pity he went out like a bitch.

I probably already said it in this thread but a spinoff with the kids would be good, if KT had a writer or editor or something and like, a guy to do backgrounds and poo poo. Mostly I just love Abarai Ichika's design and would die for her.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doc Fission posted:

I probably already said it in this thread but a spinoff with the kids would be good, if KT had a writer or editor or something and like, a guy to do backgrounds and poo poo. Mostly I just love Abarai Ichika's design and would die for her.

There's like a half dozen characters who I think could carry their own series and be more interesting than Ichigo (which, you know, starts with Rukia).

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

11th Division four-panel comics like Azumanga Daioh IMHO

Thoren
May 28, 2008
While achieving Transcendence is often tailored to the uniqueness of the individual, there can sometimes be similarities in the route of evolution that a particular soul takes in the process of becoming a Transcendent. At one point, Sōsuke Aizen hypothesizes that he and Ichigo Kurosaki had achieved a similar conclusion to their evolution in that, in both of their cases, their Zanpakutō fused with their right arm. It is difficult to ascertain whether there was any validity to this statement, as later Aizen notes the difference in their evolution, mistakenly believing his own Transcendence to have surpassed Ichigo's own level.[8] One could theorize that their difference in power was not necessarily a disparity in evolutionary levels but rather in evolutionary routes; namely, it was not that Ichigo was beyond Aizen within the same evolutionary route, but that his evolution was fundamentally different from Aizen's own evolution entirely. Regardless, what can be asserted is that there are routes of evolution which can be undertaken by multiple individuals, such as the Evolución form, which can be considered a specific route of evolution obtainable by an Arrancar. The Seraph are a group of souls that have achieved a common evolutionary route which they refer to as 'Ascendance'.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I think Ichigo powered up after Aizen and that make him stronger.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Dawgstar posted:

There's like a half dozen characters who I think could carry their own series and be more interesting than Ichigo (which, you know, starts with Rukia).

Early Bleach Ichigo was great.

New series: Ichigo and Rukia Teach an Art Class.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

I feel like as soon as any of them become the main character, they will become boring.

The article where they try to explain Ywach's personality is great too.

TheHan posted:

I think Ichigo powered up after Aizen and that make him stronger.

It was weird that they retconned his super powerup to just be his Quincy powerup.
And how did his dad know about it?
It would have probably have been better to have used the opportunity to give him a new dumb power up and call it a Vollstand than to retcon imo.

Also if he's part Quincy, and all the Quincy are descended from Ywach or whatever, son of the Soul King, that makes him a descendant of the Soul King, right?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 7, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Shadow0 posted:

It was weird that they retconned his super powerup to just be his Quincy powerup.
It would have probably have been better to have used the opportunity to give him a new dumb power up and call it a Vollstand than to retcon imo.

Also if he's part Quincy, and all the Quincy are descended from Ywach or whatever, son of the Soul King, that makes him a descendant of the Soul King, right?

Maybe in some long forgotten version of Bleach Ichigo really was meant to lose his shinigami powers there and in the final arc he uses his newfound Quincy powers instead (or...fullbring?), but editors shot it down. Kubo dropped the first hybrid hint in Deicide and even though the obvious answer is Aizen was gonna say "Human and Shinigami" he could've been about to say "and Quincy". Since being half human and half shinigami is like...nothing. Shinigami and humans aren't different races, right? That's like saying you're half human and half Uber driver.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Schubalts posted:

Early Bleach Ichigo was great.

New series: Ichigo and Rukia Teach an Art Class.

That's fair. When the comic was still about the quirky adventures of the high school student and the weird girl in his closet dealing with ghosts it was pretty entertaining. I wonder if Ichio's personality drain was a response to Tite's editor who kept yelling at him to make things more like Dragonball.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The entire cast of the early chapters got done dirty.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Let that be a lesson, if you want to keep your original cast relevant, don't add a bunch of characters that readers/editors will find cooler and/or hotter.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

That's fair. When the comic was still about the quirky adventures of the high school student and the weird girl in his closet dealing with ghosts it was pretty entertaining. I wonder if Ichio's personality drain was a response to Tite's editor who kept yelling at him to make things more like Dragonball.
If this is what the editor was saying Kubo didn't listen because DB is fun, not utterly joyless.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

there are long stretches of Dragonball Z and onwards that are pretty joyless tbh

the difference is that Dragonball eventually always comes back to at least an arc or two of comedy before the next cookie-cutter world ending threat and training montage. Bleach forgot to even do that

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

not to say that comedy is the only way to be joyful, just that Dragonball and Bleach both should have played to their strengths more

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

not to say that comedy is the only way to be joyful, just that Dragonball and Bleach both should have played to their strengths more

Looking back I think I meant DBZ and not just Dragonball, but allegedly the other series the editor was on Tite to emulate was Fist of the North Star.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I do think introducing DBZ style power levels was a mistake, because it always leaves the supporting cast in the dust while the main hero does everything.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dragon ball z is good gently caress you

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm a little sad that we won't get a continuation of this comic.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 8, 2020

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm not sure I'd even seen that update.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still fuckin' love that halo on usopp.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I never knew there was an updated one

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

that makes bleach look awesome ngl

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm a little sad that we won't get a continuation of this comic.

that just tells me one piece is still on the right track

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

I do think introducing DBZ style power levels was a mistake, because it always leaves the supporting cast in the dust while the main hero does everything.

You could sort of see an attempt to do away with it in the Fullbring arc by introducing power sets that were more wacky and less about just hitting harder, but given the hard abort on the ending of that arc I guess it wasn’t popular.

The Fullbring arc had a lot of problems but I find myself cutting Kubo a lot of slack on it cause it really seemed like an attempt to add something new to the Bleach formula that never really got a chance to go anywhere.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Freakazoid_ posted:

that just tells me one piece is still on the right track
That Trafalgar Law guy, though. Really bad manners! :mad:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

You could sort of see an attempt to do away with it in the Fullbring arc by introducing power sets that were more wacky and less about just hitting harder, but given the hard abort on the ending of that arc I guess it wasn’t popular.

The Fullbring arc had a lot of problems but I find myself cutting Kubo a lot of slack on it cause it really seemed like an attempt to add something new to the Bleach formula that never really got a chance to go anywhere.

it only seemed like a big deal while ichigo was becoming increasingly isolated. once a few of the giant cast of characters popped in to help it was all instantly resolved. there was never anything stopping them from doing so, either. like, how do you create tension when there are so many peak level allies ready and willing to jump in at any time? dude wrote himself into a corner that the fullbring arc did nothing to resolve. unfortunately the answer kubo settled on was the alphabet corps and giving literally everyone their own opponent to fight, lose to, and then be rescued from in succession. in hindsight it was quite clearly the product of a deathly ill man who had already burned through all his good ideas.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Bleach might've been the biggest waste of potential I've ever consumed in my life but I still rode it out until the end. Although Kubo was great at a number of things, he was much worse at a lot more and you could tell when he was just phoning it in that week when everything was just taking place in front of an empty background and a bunch of two-page spreads of a single, empty action panel. Despite how off the rails everything went, Kubo did try the same years long foreshadowing that One Piece had, but by the time he started revealing most of them, the manga was already announced as ending.

Still, earlier on Kubo was KING of fashion and character design, and I think he had a big hand in directing all of the openings and choosing the music iirc which is why they were so stylish/modern and featured really well known artists compared to most anime.

I'm glad that years later, My Hero Academia scratches that itch that I had for Bleach (A large cast, unique powers, the main character just inheriting massive power but struggling to figure out how to use it). If Bleach had the same type of fight planning that MHA or One Piece had, the fights would've been so much more enjoyable (Because let's face it, Ichigo's fights weren't strategic, he either lost or he just MOVE FASTER HIT HARDER until he wins)

The worst of Bleach so the dirt-worst though. For the longest time Ichigo's only importance to the plot was that he happened to be around at the time, he had no real motivations until a friend was captured and that happened like...Every single arc. Fights really were just tests of strength/speed as Ichigo just eventually powered through everything, and the one-two punch of a cast featuring HUNDREDS of characters with legitimately only three or four locations TOTAL the entire length of the series.

The series really did shine sometimes in the filler, where we could see people actually [u]use[/i] their unique abilities to defeat a foe (Like Kira's dumb looking sword becoming a death of a thousand papercuts and the reveal that any time he hits you it increases gravity on your body until you can't move and he can easily decapitate you). Another really clever fight was between Rukia and that weird Espada where in the end, she uses her power to re-form her sword straight through the brain. Even the very first Mayuri/Isida fight was really clever so I knew Kubo was capable of writing well thought out fights, he just rarely did.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Shadow0 posted:

This was one of those things that were technically foreshadowed on early on but never really ended up hitting their mark on the reveal.

The "Hollow" Ichigo kept implying that he was Ichigo's real sword spirit and was always annoyed with "Old Man Zangetsu" and most of Ichigo's power-ups were very quincy-based (Specifically, massive speed increases and projectile based offense)

But none of it was every really thought out after the initial twists. I think as early as Unohana appeared her databooks listed her as the absolute strongest melee fighter in soul society and even high tier captains were just terrified of her despite being seen as the "healer". The payoff was finding out she was the previous Kenpachi and then she died without fighting anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, kira's sword was even better than that. he'd increase the weight of his opponents until he could hold his rectangular sword underneath their necks and their weight would force them down and they'd decapitate themselves. it was such an amazing concept and design tied to a complete non-entity of a character.