Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kraftwerk posted:

I really would like to know what kind of compromises Mazda made to get the Mazda3 Turbo. I'm also looking forward to the excuses caranddriver will make about how the GTI/Golf R is still somehow better than it despite costing more and having less to offer in features and reliability.

Until Mazda came along nobody else wanted to give you Turbo AWD with all the creature comforts for less than 40k. Had to shell out for a Golf R or Focus RS. If this car doesn't have some kind of dealbreaking bugs its basically occupying the sweet spot for all my requirements. I'm even thinking long and hard about trading my GS350 AWD for it.

It's not going to be as capable as the GTI or Golf R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's not going to be as capable as the GTI or Golf R.

Yeah, it's not a perfroamnce package and while that 2.5T is amazing, it runs out of power just as fast. It'll feel like 500hp during normal daily driving then when you're wringing it out it'll feel like 250hp.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The Mazda3 Turbo isn't a true hot hatch like a Civic R, Focus RS or Golf R but it opens the door a touch for a real Mazdaspeed 3 which would be awesome.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

FWIW even Honda won't give 2.0T 6MT Accord buyers an LSD

They give Civic Si buyers an LSD. I think that's a potentially more relevant comparison.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just buy a 300zx

I had the option to be given my aunt and uncle's 300ZX TT over a decade ago. I declined because it was a slushbox and I was a manual elitist at the time.

On Topic: Is anybody really going to give a poo poo about first gen F150 hybrids?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yuns posted:

The Mazda3 Turbo isn't a true hot hatch like a Civic R, Focus RS or Golf R but it opens the door a touch for a real Mazdaspeed 3 which would be awesome.

e: nevermind! Was wrong about auto trans availability on the Golf R.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
New Seat Cupra El-Born. 310 mile range RWD electric hot hatch that looks great.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2021-cupra-el-born-vw-group%E2%80%99s-first-ev-hot-hatch

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Also true in the sense that the the V6 is crippled by the transmission programming to prevent you from actually using most of that power.

I actually thought that’s what the statement was intended to express on my first read.

Don’t get me wrong - I had a V6 Camry as courtesy car when the dealer was performing the first warranty service on our 4Runner; it was hilarious. The FWD has no concept of what to do with the power, the transmission sucks half the fun out of it.
It’s still hilarious and fun and the fact it exists is a marvel.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have the sky active x Mazda and I kinda wanna see how the turbo feels

I completely forgot that was even released

Kraftwerk posted:

I really would like to know what kind of compromises Mazda made to get the Mazda3 Turbo. I'm also looking forward to the excuses caranddriver will make about how the GTI/Golf R is still somehow better than it despite costing more and having less to offer in features and reliability.

Not a Turbo-exclusive issue but the enormous C pillar on the hatchback does kinda blow from the one test drive I took. Cameras would help a lot. My Civic hatch has more

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Nut Bunnies posted:

I completely forgot that was even released

Not a Turbo-exclusive issue but the enormous C pillar on the hatchback does kinda blow from the one test drive I took. Cameras would help a lot. My Civic hatch has more
The C pillar really bugs me on the new 3 hatch... enough that I bought a used 2018 instead. Maybe it will grow on me in a few years.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've only driven a 2019 briefly but didn't think the C pillar was any worse than on my 2016 - neither is exactly easy to see out of.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I'm not totally onboard with the front end but that's TBH quite interesting otherwise. Seems to tick off range / performace / charging speed nicely.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

inside looks nice

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
IIRC European spec Mazda3s were already available with heated steering wheel and 360 view cameras. The product planners for the US probably saved those for a new top trim

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm not totally onboard with the front end but that's TBH quite interesting otherwise. Seems to tick off range / performace / charging speed nicely.

Looks are subjective of course, but beyond the good proportions and stance, what I really dig is that not a lot about it screams LOOK I’M AN ELECTRIC CAR. Yeah some of the front details maybe, but overall it looks like a regular old car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't like C pillar treatment much - too similar to an Astra which isn't a car worth copying.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

0-60 in 7.5 seconds so more like a warm hatch but it does look pretty good otherwise. As always though it'll depend on the price and they probably won't make it (much) cheaper than the ID3.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

0-60 in 7.5 seconds so more like a warm hatch but it does look pretty good otherwise. As always though it'll depend on the price and they probably won't make it (much) cheaper than the ID3.

It's funny how much standards have gone up for acceleration, because that's faster than a Mark IV GTI.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Holy poo poo.

A center console without a stupid and oversized shifter? Hiw can it be?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The VAG MEB EVs may actually sit in the intersection of affordability, range, and something that you'd buy if it were powered by gas. Nothing in the current market hits all three points.

The Model 3 has the range and is relatively affordable but absolutely no one would put up with its craptastic build quality if it were a gas car, even if it had an Alfa Romeo badge on the front. I get why people in the EV thread are excited about the Hyundai Kona EV because it's affordable and has the range, but no one here would ever consider a gas Kona. The e-Golf is affordable and is a car you'd buy if it were powered by a normal gas engine, but doesn't have the range. Finally the Taycan is a car you'd buy if it had a gas engine, and it has the range, but you have to do crimes to afford one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

The VAG MEB EVs may actually sit in the intersection of affordability, range, and something that you'd buy if it were powered by gas. Nothing in the current market hits all three points.

Agreed. It looks really good, I'll be interested to see the price.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I mean it looks like a Peugeot but OK.

Hoping one day the industry will offer 2 seater electric RWD stuff due to like 95% of journeys being single occupant.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I mean it looks like a Peugeot but OK.

Hoping one day the industry will offer 2 seater electric RWD stuff due to like 95% of journeys being single occupant.

Yeah I was going to say, that looks a lot like the previous gen Peugeot 208.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's funny how much standards have gone up for acceleration, because that's faster than a Mark IV GTI.

This. When I started driving, a 10 second 0-60 was good and under 7 seconds was fast.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

When I was young, my mk4 GTI felt like a rocket. I loved it. Now it’s totally eclipsed by nearly anything you can buy, but 180 whole HP!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godzilla07 posted:

The Model 3 has the range and is relatively affordable but absolutely no one would put up with its craptastic build quality if it were a gas car, even if it had an Alfa Romeo badge on the front. I get why people in the EV thread are excited about the Hyundai Kona EV because it's affordable and has the range, but no one here would ever consider a gas Kona. The e-Golf is affordable and is a car you'd buy if it were powered by a normal gas engine, but doesn't have the range. Finally the Taycan is a car you'd buy if it had a gas engine, and it has the range, but you have to do crimes to afford one.

I think the Niro EV is pretty close. It's perfectly decent in its segment (although obviously AI goons wouldn't buy a gas powered Niro, that doesn't mean it's a bad car). I think it's all around a better implementation of the Kona EV.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cripes, that MB MBUX thing, was that an Onion article?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

That's better range than I get from my Mazda2. Electric future looking good.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
How is this real?

That's an S-CLASS interior. Does anybody actually think that that looks luxurious or classy in any way?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That looks cheap as poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sunaurus posted:

How is this real?

That's an S-CLASS interior. Does anybody actually think that that looks luxurious or classy in any way?

Mercedes gave up on classy a while back.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s expensive so ergo it’s automatically classy

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My favourite part is that they can make the speedometer go to any number, and the only space the car will ever occupy is still only a 40 degree sweep.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It’s expensive so ergo it’s automatically classy

Yeah this, it doesn't matter if it looks good or whatever as long as it's expensive enough.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I can’t believe we aren’t talking about the new Corolla Cross!!!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I specifically checked what the current GTI does before posting that. Under 6 seconds. Even the current Miata is 5.7 holy poo poo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Previa_fun posted:

Mazdas six speed auto is fine.

i mean its okay (have it in our cx-5) but i just dont see this car as anything more than a lukewarm hatch

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

mobby_6kl posted:

I specifically checked what the current GTI does before posting that. Under 6 seconds. Even the current Miata is 5.7 holy poo poo.

An ND miata has honestly got some pull in the low gears now, it's just if you put your foot down past like 70 you're going nowhere

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

We live in a wild time when even pretty mundane cars are within spitting distance of a sub-6 second 0-60.

A V6 Camry is 5.8 seconds. The 2.0T Accord is 5.7 seconds.

The new turbo Outback is 6.1 seconds.

The Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey minivans are both in the mid 6-second range.

(these were all quick google results, may not be 100% accurate but you get the idea)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BraveUlysses posted:

i mean its okay (have it in our cx-5) but i just dont see this car as anything more than a lukewarm hatch

I think they're aiming more at cars like the A3, 2 series, or A class than cars like the Golf R or Type R