Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no, kira's sword was even better than that. he'd increase the weight of his opponents until he could hold his rectangular sword underneath their necks and their weight would force them down and they'd decapitate themselves. it was such an amazing concept and design tied to a complete non-entity of a character.
I explained it poorly but yeah, I can't remember who he was fighting but I remember him bouncing their sword off his in seconds which was brilliant. I hate how many people in Bleach just had their handful of named attacks and the rest was just overpowering people. There were so many absolutely great, unique powers used in only one fight before that character only showed up in the background again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

RealFoxy posted:

I explained it poorly but yeah, I can't remember who he was fighting but I remember him bouncing their sword off his in seconds which was brilliant.

It was Rangiku, and she hard-countered him immediately by releasing her shikai into its dust form. The few moments where there's strategy in the battles are so much more memorable to me. Like, Ichigo timing out Zabimaru's momentum and counter-attacking at the end immediately sticks out to me but I can't even tell you which one of Kyoraku's shikai's three abilities killed Starrk. If the powersets had stayed simple maybe we would've gotten more of that, cause hell it's gotta be hard writing a satisfying battle of the minds when you gave both fighters 3 abilities and 2 forms with weekly deadlines.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TheHan posted:

It was Rangiku, and she hard-countered him immediately by releasing her shikai into its dust form. The few moments where there's strategy in the battles are so much more memorable to me. Like, Ichigo timing out Zabimaru's momentum and counter-attacking at the end immediately sticks out to me but I can't even tell you which one of Kyoraku's shikai's three abilities killed Starrk. If the powersets had stayed simple maybe we would've gotten more of that, cause hell it's gotta be hard writing a satisfying battle of the minds when you gave both fighters 3 abilities and 2 forms with weekly deadlines.
On top of vague sword abilities, there were still what, 100 different magic spells that Soul Reapers knew and they were only ever used to show how useless they were outside of one or two fights?

It's why I appreciated One Piece and My Hero so much better. Luffy's skin is made out of rubber, that seems fairly one-note but then he does things like inflating himself like a balloon or using his rubber properties to heat his body up and move at insane speeds. Usually he sees someone do something and his immediate thought is "How can I do this too" and it's a really clever way of staggering upgrades.

In MHA, the main character has inherited the literal strength to evaporate city blocks but his body is too weak to use it and he destroys his arms trying to fight like his mentor did. He's a strategist at heart though, she he thinks of creative ways to get over his physical limitations. He starts to use that power to ricochet off things or make his speed much greater. He augments his still undamaged legs and starts a kicking based offense, his fingers still have complete mobility so he learns how to basically shoot bullets off his fingertips.

A lot of Bleach's fights seemed the binary "Is this person physically stronger? Then they lose" or "They use some vague ability and win that wasn't very well defined or foreshadowed"

I'm imagining a Bleach where instead of just trying to over-power everyone, Ichigo became naturally more projectile based and learned strategies from sparring with Ishida like using the Crescent Moon Strike like a boomerang, or using it to set off chain reactions in the environment around him before resorting to his "Wild" masked style which was unpredictable, quicker, and stronger than most people expect. At least that would have done well to set up he was half Quincy when he was relying on beam spam.

Simultaneously it would've been really cool if he had been shown sparring with Chad and Orihime too. He could never directly overpower Chad's raw physical strength so he had to be more creative in how he attempted hand to hand, especially after getting rocked by Kenpachi. The same for Orihime's sparring potential, he has to find creative ways to get around her instant barriers instead of just trying to go straight through them. Even a short, goofy filler arc where he was just playing capture the flag against them could've taught him how to be more resourceful than the Goku method of getting your rear end kicked until you're just stronger.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Swapping out the Renji and Chad training for Ichigo and Chad would've been great, especially since Chad desperately needed a push at that point to save him from the miserable failure pit. Ichigo had fallen behind every new character introduced that arc (and even some of the old ones), but Kubo could've at least established Chad and Uryuu as still on his level. Going into Hueco Mundo there could've been a sense of "How will our heroes overcome this" and not "How will Ichigo overcome this and how will Chad and Uryuu be humiliated next."

Orihime...I don't understand what Kubo had against Orihime. There are tons of women who get screentime in Bleach, and while they aren't treated...great...they're at least allowed to do something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chad and Uryu were fine going into Hueco Mundo. The Karakura town guys constantly getting owned wasn't established by that point. As evidenced by the fact they won their first fights.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Chad/Orihime/Uryuu had a sort of rock-paper-scissors thing going on. Chad represented unrelenting raw power who would never back down, Orihime was a pacifist who had nearly unbreakable defense, and Uryuu had a brilliant tactician's mind and all three could have taught Ichigo so much to be a better-rounded fighter but that never really happened. Orihime became the second damsel in distress, Chad got lumped into this handful of people who essentially served the "Warf from Star Trek" trope of this strong guy losing to every new villain to show how badass they were. Uryuu even kind of became the last damsel in distress of the series.

The series would've been so much better if there were half the characters and it became a political struggle between the Gotei 13 (Keeping Order), Quincy (Chaotic Justice), Arrancar (Agnostic Survival), with the vague Urahara & Vizords just being the true neutral. Ichigo and friends being pulled in several different directions by factions that are all shades of grey with people constantly switching sides, backstabbing each other, becoming allies and no overall villain. It was only kind of explored with the Gotei 13, but there were a lot of Arrancar who didn't seem like awful people and just wanted to survive but by the time we hit the final arc, it was just "Yep, these are basically Nazi's, I give up"

It would've also made a lot more in that sense because Ichigo was a third Quincy/Soul Reaper/Espada and at the end he'd made friends on every side of this war of multiple factions who were fighting for so long they don't even remember why they're fighting.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I refuse to believe the Ichigo is a Quincy reveal was thought up until moments before he started writing the final arc. Much like how the Aizen "reveal" fell flat because we all just rolled our eyes when he claimed that he "had orchestrated everything from the first episode", the reveal that Zangetsu was actually this guy who was never hinted at before fell flat. Having a projectile attack and moving fast doesn't really qualify as a hint, imo. Even Renji has a projectile attack, and everyone moves fast.

The source of Fullbringer powers, a power introduced right before the last arc, was even retconned to be from the Soul King, right? Or something? I don't think he had any ideas more than an arc ahead. Some ideas didn't even make it through an arc.

Uryuu did the spirit ribbon thing to find Ichigo and only recognized him as Soul Reaper.

I wish we could have seen a Bleach with fewer deadlines. I wonder what Kubo might have been able to pull off if he had had more time to work and think before he had to put things out.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Chad and Uryu were fine going into Hueco Mundo. The Karakura town guys constantly getting owned wasn't established by that point. As evidenced by the fact they won their first fights.

My opinion on Uryuu might be colored by sitting through the Bount arc and watching his poor powerless rear end get dragged through the ringer. He spent that whole arc getting beat on by soul vampires only to barely squeak out one victory with his lovely little hooptie of a bow. Chad though...the Arrancar arc was not kind to Chad. Yammy slapped him so hard his arm flew off. Ichigo literally tells him to run away at one point! And he does.

Chad got put in the loser corner hard and needed some big wins going into Hueco Mundo to salvage his reputation. Weird tongue guy was alright, personally didn’t do it for me since he came out of nowhere and amounted to nothing. The privaron espada fight though? Perfect. An established threat that Chad overcame through character growth and punching a guy so hard that the wall behind him died. All the humiliation would’ve been worth it for that moment, but then Nnorita came and wasted Chad like he was taking out the garbage. It immediately made the Privaron Espada look like a joke and completely overshadowed Chad’s shining moment.

I don’t understand the Nnorita scene. It’s like Kubo planned out a whole character arc of Chad stumbling, picking himself back up and climbing higher than ever before and right as he got to the end he decided no, actually, he hates Chad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It also doesn't help that power inflation means that Arrancars (and Hollows in general) don't amount to jack poo poo.

Plus, despite the blah de blah about each race's unique powers, they all came down to special transformation, defense up (Hierro for Arrancar, Blut or whatever for Quincy, and being Zaraki Kenpachi for Shinigami), and flash steps (all of which had no differences except Sonidas apparently had a bzzing sound).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Hollows were said to be a suffering existence defined by an insatiable hunger for souls and therefore killing them was a kind of mercy.

Until apparently they weren't any more.

really early on they were explicit that hollows weren't actually hungry for souls, and there was a bunch of weird lore drops about them

like you know how old married couples tend to die around the same time? That's because one of them became a hollow and killed the other one!

RealFoxy posted:

I'm imagining a Bleach where instead of just trying to over-power everyone, Ichigo became naturally more projectile based and learned strategies from sparring with Ishida like using the Crescent Moon Strike like a boomerang, or using it to set off chain reactions in the environment around him before resorting to his "Wild" masked style which was unpredictable, quicker, and stronger than most people expect. At least that would have done well to set up he was half Quincy when he was relying on beam spam.

Ichigo's hollow self kept swinging his sword around by the bandage ribbon thing at the end of the hilt and using it as a cool flail, and when we were watching it in college everyone was *sure* that ichigo was going to eventually figure out that was how he was supposed to be fighting with it and use it as a new technique, and I don't think it ever happened

But really as far as setup goes, I was really hoping that Kanonji would end up being more than just some minor doofus. Like, his exorcism technique is so *insanely* off the mark that if he was as incompetent as he appeared he'd have been dead within a couple hours, he somehow managed to invent ghost magic from scratch without being a ghost, and then in the fake karakura fight he somehow manages to ignore aizen's absurd spirit power crush until someone reminds him it exists.

And - most importantly - he's the only character other than ichigo who gets to use Number One as his theme song.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 9, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kanonji gets focus in the light novels.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He beats the 8th Kenpachi (an OP as gently caress broken character) by hitting him with Zaraki Kenpachi's eyepatch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

He beats the 8th Kenpachi (an OP as gently caress broken character) by hitting him with Zaraki Kenpachi's eyepatch.

cool, is there a translation of it somewhere

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I thought about Bleach for a few minutes today. Here are my thoughts.

The Soul Society arc should have never ended with all the characters together on a big plateau. Ichigo should have never become a substitute shinigami. The arc should have ended with Ichigo escaping Soul Society with Rukia, making her a fugitive and a permanent part of the main cast for the next adventure.

Perhaps the factions within the Gotei 13, now crippled by losses, disagree on what to do about her, and thus the situation becomes complicated. They don't have the manpower to pursue her anyway.

Aizen could still have his big betrayal, though probably not against Ichigo.

This is the best possible outcome because Rukia could go back to living in Ichigo's closet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RealFoxy posted:

It's why I appreciated One Piece and My Hero so much better. Luffy's skin is made out of rubber, that seems fairly one-note but then he does things like inflating himself like a balloon or using his rubber properties to heat his body up and move at insane speeds. Usually he sees someone do something and his immediate thought is "How can I do this too" and it's a really clever way of staggering upgrades.

Yeah. One Piece kind of lost something when it was still 'Devil Fruit doesn't increase in abilities, you increase in imagination with how you use them' and now we have Haki and whatever.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

TheHan posted:

It was Rangiku, and she hard-countered him immediately by releasing her shikai into its dust form.

In hindsight this fight feels like an early red flag because it's a case of someone with an amazing broken ability to gets chumped because they just happened to go up against their hard-counter.

Then he's just totally irrelevant after even though his ability itself is essentially a hard counter to literally everyone who has to actually swing their sword to fight.

I gave up pretty much entirely mid HM arc but skimming through the rest of it I agree that SS should have stayed villains even if they stopped being directly, hostile towards Ichigo for awhile, outside of like Byakuya and Renji, and had SS civil war or something instead of Quincies as final arc. Squad 11 could probably just end up neutral for awhile or be the first to really fully defect. They had no problems helping out Ichigo's friends in late-SS arc since they're not really loyal to anyone beyond Kenpachi whose mindset didn't really go much further than "I had fun fighting Ichigo so we're friends/rivals now."

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Schubalts posted:

New series: Ichigo and Rukia Teach an Art Class.

And Orihime! Remember that crazy killer robot she wanted to be when she grew up?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Safety Biscuits posted:

And Orihime! Remember that crazy killer robot she wanted to be when she grew up?

I dunno about anyone else, but I forgive everything else about her character just for this moment. I just wish she'd kept that slightly-concealed weirdness as a character trait later on.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I dunno about anyone else, but I forgive everything else about her character just for this moment. I just wish she'd kept that slightly-concealed weirdness as a character trait later on.

I weep for the Orihime and Tatsuki arc that never existed. Be interesting to see if Burn the Witch can capture some of that energy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I weep for the Orihime and Tatsuki arc that never existed. Be interesting to see if Burn the Witch can capture some of that energy.

I feel bad for remembering I thought Tatsuki was going to be a thing and even worse for her timeskip giving her a weird lady's mullet.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Doing nothing with Tatsuki is the worst thing about Bleach

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I miss Harribel and her Idiot Girl Squad

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Roth posted:

tatsuki got off easy. she could have ended up as chad mk2.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

She could have also not had a mullet

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sorry, mullets for everyone. that's how spiritons work.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
spirit in the front, trons in the back

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Her character arc was as bad as Ichigo's. Tatsuki got off lightly, it's better to be written out of the story than turned into a plot object which then turns out to be useless.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

sorry, mullets for everyone. that's how spiritons work.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That image reminds me, remember how good the first Bleach OP was?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nah that sounds like a dumb premise for a thread.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Nah that sounds like a dumb premise for a thread.

yeah I feel like if someone started a thread like that a major corporation would kill their fun

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Roth posted:

Do we know what the Original Plan was for Tatsuki? She could sense hollows or something right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't know that there was one, really. kubo likely had many different vague story outlines instead of a series bible. that's just how serialized fiction usually goes, and even more so with a guy like kubo.

if anything, i kind of liked how tatsuki ended up as simply ichigo's childhood friend and nothing more. that's a role that gets weirdly overemphasized in pretty much every anime/manga it appears. instead, the two of them had a very believable degree of closeness.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

I miss Harribel and her Idiot Girl Squad

Amazing how her idiot girls were so goddamn weak but could summon this loving beastly creature that wiped the floor with all the vice captains ever.

All the Tatsuki talk first made me think Orihime was Tatsuki, and then my second thought was "How does Orihime's outfit even work?"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

i don't know that there was one, really. kubo likely had many different vague story outlines instead of a series bible. that's just how serialized fiction usually goes, and even more so with a guy like kubo.

if anything, i kind of liked how tatsuki ended up as simply ichigo's childhood friend and nothing more. that's a role that gets weirdly overemphasized in pretty much every anime/manga it appears. instead, the two of them had a very believable degree of closeness.
He had plenty of stuff very poorly foreshadowed, but it was there like Unohana being the strongest melee fighter in the very first data book she showed up at and all the captains being absolutely scared shitless of her, but Kubo either didn't have enough time to properly pay them off or had just given up by that point since all of these series-long reveals came in the last arc and none of them had any time to breathe.

The series was absolutely peak until the rescue arc was over/The Bount filler started in the Anime. It was such a weird-rear end choice to go straight into another rescue arc and they spent what felt like an entire decade fighting in either an empty desert or giant empty white rooms. I guess that also goes back to Ichigo's only motivation the entire series was fighting for his friends and no overall motivation himself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unohana was the resident sword master, the absolute pinnacle of martial arts rather than weird rear end magic ghost sword powers. her style? kendo, a competitive sport with an emphasis on safety rather than practicality that unohana herself predates by several centuries.

kubo wrote sword manga: the swordening from start to finish without ever actually knowing anything about swords or swordplay.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

she invented it just like how ichibei invented the japanese language.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

she invented it just like how ichibei invented the japanese language.

unohana would never make a less lethal version of anything.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

unohana would never make a less lethal version of anything.

she didnt know because every time she swung her sword something died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Unohana training Kenpachi by killing and reviving him until he managed to win was pretty metal. Shame that was the only thing she got to do, instead of like, having them go on a murder spree together against the Wandenreich.