Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Soylent Pudding posted:

What happened with outer worlds?

It's basically like Fallout: New Vegas if:

+It had way better graphics
+It was bug free
+The basic attribute/skill system was good at preventing trap builds

-The story and characters were more boring
-Every gun looked basically the same
-Every outfit looked basically the same
-Seriously, they just took a small number of models and endlessly recycled for every tier of item with just minor recoloring and poo poo, it was incredibly lazy
-The action was outright worse than New Vegas, at least in that game blowing people's heads off was satisfying :commissar:
-The perks and traits and poo poo were all "Add X% to a variable", had almost no impact on how the game played
-There just isn't a lot of opportunity to screw around and approach things in different ways

It's like they made the shell of a good Fallout in Space game, and instead of developing the story or gameplay off of that framework just debugged it really good and released it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I remember thinking picking that meant I'd pick the least bad option and got something to put up in my room on the ship that when I clicked on was the Simpsons quote about teaching the people of the planet the important thing to never try. And the other option was leaving the planet to die of malnutrition and it cast a pall over the rest of the game, which I did not play for very long after.

That quest actually has 3 outcomes... shut down the factory leaving some of the workers to starve because the strikers refuse to take in former loyalists, shut down the striker's commune forcing them to go back to work, or a third option where you force out the corp boss running the factory and let the strikers take over. The first two choices give you an item that calls back to the choice you made, the third choice just gives you both even though the quote on it does not make sense for that scenario.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

I've seen some comments saying that article might have misinterpreted some of the interview.

From the interview:

:shrug:

probably. i dont think most of the core staff or writers are at least purprously transphobic/anti LGBT but they also have 2 of their major studios and are from Poland that has poo poo like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_ideology-free_zone and since poland pours a ton of money into their coffers. i can believe that they believe they have to walk a line to keep everyone happy. obviously i wish they did more but they are also a giant corporation. i dont think they are a bunch of JK rowlings.

on outer world. havent beaten it yet, but i liked it enough. flawed as gently caress though. hope if they make a sequel/dlc its better.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 9, 2020

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Also you will eventually find the boss'' bowler hat on one of the Raiders outside of town. It's implied that he got eaten.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 9, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

8one6 posted:

Also you will eventually find the biss' bowler hat on one of the Raiders outside of town. It's implied that he got eaten.

i just beat his head in. i like the fatalism of the universe but its mixed.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 9, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Avalerion posted:

That quest actually has 3 outcomes... shut down the factory leaving some of the workers to starve because the strikers refuse to take in former loyalists, shut down the striker's commune forcing them to go back to work, or a third option where you force out the corp boss running the factory and let the strikers take over. The first two choices give you an item that calls back to the choice you made, the third choice just gives you both even though the quote on it does not make sense for that scenario.

In the third outcome doesn't the board come and kill them all?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

hobbesmaster posted:

That depends on what you do later in the game.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
In that game if you beeline all the leadership skills an perks it becomes literally impossible to lose or become injured. Your guys will instantly wreck anything that goes hostile before you notice it, and they'll give you insane stat boosts that essentially max out all the skills you neglected.

I had to pick the perk that scopes loot range and highlights items because they were blasting enemies through geometry and poo poo like that

Plus you can give your guys equipment that boosts their skills and it boosts yours as well. So like the asexual chick give her the welding goggles.

Anyone post this yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9tMbVU9ymY

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Only if you end the game siding with the board which is pretty much the game's evil route.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Was Outer Worlds the one Avellone wrote on and was saying dumb stuff about how evil you could be?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I had a fun enough time with Outer Worlds but it's pretty average all round. Doubt I'll ever replay it. The anti-capitalism stuff is cute but very shallow, and seemed especially so since it came out the same year as Disco Elyisum, a game that actually engaged with those ideas in an insightful and complicated way.

Shoehead posted:

Was Outer Worlds the one Avellone wrote on and was saying dumb stuff about how evil you could be?

I think he'd left Obsidian under very stormy circumstances by then?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Dumb stuff about how evil you could be sounds like Tyranny which he was involved with briefly before his departure (only did lore/pre-production as per a tweet of his I found).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In hindsight it was pretty interesting how the forums disco elysium vs outer worlds skirmish presaged the wider cspam vs d&d conflict

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Disco Elysium is one of the best games I've played

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

myDad posted:

Disco Elysium is one of the best games I've played

I’m waiting for the Switch port and I’m super excited to play it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Avalerion posted:

Dumb stuff about how evil you could be sounds like Tyranny which he was involved with briefly before his departure (only did lore/pre-production as per a tweet of his I found).

You can be extremely evil in tyranny

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Sometimes I feel like I might wanna play outer worlds again, because I burned out doing dumb side quests when I thought they would give actually good rewards or change the game setting a little but all I got was money and rep for a maxed out faction.

Can't do it cause on Xbox they changed it so you have to buy it with your specific account and can't play if it's installed on your machine if someone else bought and installed it.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I wonder how morality will be adressed in this game.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

There isn't a morality system as far as we know.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If you pet a cat it cancels out all the murders

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If you pet a cat it cancels out all the murders

No, OP means in the game.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Zeta Acosta posted:

I'm hoping there is cause and effect for lovely choices but not some overarching morality calculator that dictates future options because of your rep or whatever. Maybe if you only do really good or really bad stuff?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I'm hoping there is cause and effect for lovely choices but not some overarching morality calculator that dictates future options because of your rep or whatever. Maybe if you only do really good or really bad stuff?

Well we already know from the previews that "street cred" is an overall stat that opens up vendor tiers, etc., that it's raised by doing side quests and the like, and that it can only go up. That will likely be the extent of any kind of generalized "morality" system.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wonder if it'll be a big difference between cred 1 & 2 or if you're gonna need a shitload to get anything good.

Obviously the REAL poo poo is high cred but I wonder if you'd really feel the progression. Or if you could side step it via loot or tech skill to boot strap yourself

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

i think there is a light morality system in it. mostly like the witcher 2/3 system than say Bioware/bethesda type system.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'd expect choices and consequences but not a goodness meter.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

ShakeZula posted:

Well we already know from the previews that "street cred" is an overall stat that opens up vendor tiers, etc., that it's raised by doing side quests and the like, and that it can only go up. That will likely be the extent of any kind of generalized "morality" system.

That sounds great.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

sean10mm posted:

-Seriously, they just took a small number of models and endlessly recycled for every tier of item with just minor recoloring and poo poo, it was incredibly lazy

I'm not sure if I'd call any aspect of video game development lazy. I got a lot of issues with Outer Worlds but laziness isn't one of them. Probably has more to do with time/budget/general resources. It wasn't a big AAA game or anything so they did what they could with what they had. They probably could have reused their resources a bit more cleverly however.

I wonder if Cyberpunk will have that issue. Yeah its budget is probably astronomical and obviously it's been in development for a hot minute but that only goes so far.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m waiting for the Switch port and I’m super excited to play it.

What? When's that happening?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Claes Oldenburger posted:

That sounds great.

I thought it was a good idea when Sleeping Dogs did it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It's a game about the excesses of capitalism that has absolutely nothing to say about capitalism.

Also the writers did a final pass so that all the good guys are secretly cannibals and Nazis. This was to make the morality more "grey," you see.

Edit: the gameplay is also boring and the game systems/mechanics are tacked on and pointless, but in contrast the game is pretty bug free. I rate it a "who cares, play something better unless you can get it for $1 like I did" out of 10.

:vince:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Not-Kaylee is an interesting character but I feel a large part of that is just because asexual representation in media is so rare. The quest is cute.

:hai:
It's probably the only decent quest and, iirc, requires no combat!

sean10mm posted:

It's basically like Fallout: New Vegas if:
:words:
It's like they made the shell of a good Fallout in Space game, and instead of developing the story or gameplay off of that framework just debugged it really good and released it.

Whoa whoa whoa...the proper Fallout comparison for Outer Worlds is FO4 with marginally better combat. :colbert:
Let's not besmirch the good name of New Vegas...

Also DrakeMeme:
:smugjones: Outer Worlds
:smuggo: Outer Wilds

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
New Vegas in space is what it was marketed as, but honestly it was worse than F3 or 4.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

pretty sure Mike Pondsmith wouldnt have signed off and stuck by with involvement in the if they were super chud assholes who didnt get his creation/the genre. and no its not gibsons type of cyberpunk.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 10, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

New Vegas in space is what it was marketed as, but honestly it was worse than F3 or 4.

its better than 3 but thats not a high bar.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
CEOs are universally poo poo and have little to do with the content of the games that are produced under them. I'm gonna give the people who actually work on the games at CDPR (i.e. the people who took criticism of Wild Hunt to heart and immediately afterwards placed Ofieri POC prominently throughout Hearts of Stone) the benefit of the doubt.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty sure Mike Pondsmith wouldnt have signed off and stuck by with involvement in the if they were super chud assholes who didnt get his creation/the genre. and no its not gibsons type of cyberpunk.

We've been seeing folks going mask off with chud bullshit lately. People change.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Capn Beeb posted:

We've been seeing folks going mask off with chud bullshit lately. People change.

I feel pretty OK about Mike Pondsmith, still.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Firebert posted:

CEOs are universally poo poo and have little to do with the content of the games that are produced under them. I'm gonna give the people who actually work on the games at CDPR (i.e. the people who took criticism of Wild Hunt to heart and immediately afterwards placed Ofieri POC prominently throughout Hearts of Stone) the benefit of the doubt.

same. this isn't kingdom come devs and their weird chud bullshit.

Capn Beeb posted:

https://rtalsoriangames.com/2020/06/12/mike-pondsmith-cops-and-racists/

he wrote a good piece on BLM and cops of late.

also he has a bunch of good interview on youtube about how the whole game/francise is about exploitation and its variety and talks about how his world isnt an asperation. its a warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I feel pretty OK about Mike Pondsmith, still.

Same.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. this isn't kingdom come devs and their weird chud bullshit.

https://rtalsoriangames.com/2020/06/12/mike-pondsmith-cops-and-racists/

he wrote a good piece on BLM and cops of late.

also he has a bunch of good interview on youtube about how the whole game/francise is about exploitation and its variety and talks about how his world isnt an asperation. its a warning.

I don't mean Mike, I know he's good. I was talking about CDPR leadership.