Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

Quoting myself from Toku thread

I'm going to have to call a hard skeptical on that until we get official word.

I'm pretty sure every existing PR IP is tied with Sentai and Toei- if Hasbro left Toei, they wouldn't be able to use any existing IP. Everything would be effectively over.

I've seen some people talking about 'it would just be MMPR now' but what is that without Sentai footage, especially Sentai footage doing a lot of heavy lifting? Are the toys not doing well enough, specifically not doing well enough that Hasbro's ready to toss everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

I've seen some people talking about 'it would just be MMPR now' but what is that without Sentai footage, especially Sentai footage doing a lot of heavy lifting? Are the toys not doing well enough, specifically not doing well enough that Hasbro's ready to toss everything?

It wouldn't be MMPR

They'd have the rights to the characters Jason, Trini, Zack and so on, but the actual bankable designs? Those belong to Toei. Those are the ZyuRanger suits, copywritten to Toei.

They don't own those. They can't use those if they don't have Toei's permission.

They'd have nothing, period.

The idea is that they'd switch to doing animated series, which in theory you could do and would even make sense for Hasbro given most of their properties are animated. But, they'd have to be all new designs. No classic morphers, no classic Ranger designs, none of the iconic villains

At that point they'd be better off just making a new IP

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

They'd have the rights to the characters Jason, Trini, Zack and so on, but the actual bankable designs? Those belong to Toei. Those are the ZyuRanger suits, copywritten to Toei.

They don't own those. They can't use those if they don't have Toei's permission.

They'd have nothing, period.

The Robotech Conundrum

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It should also be noted that the Illuminerdi post only suggests that he, himself, would like to see an animated series. He apparently knows nothing of Hasbro's actual plans post-2021. So yeah, any talk about Power Rangers ENDING is baseless. It’s most definitely changing, that's for sure, but we don't know how yet.

Also, buried in the story, was the point that Hasbro is very committed to the new movie and we'll be getting news about that in the next few days.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
That would be a really weird thing for Hasbro to do considering it's not been very long at all since they bought the franchise in the first place

Though if it does have any merit I could see it being Hasbro being frustrated at how unmarketable most of the currently unadapted Sentai series have been by American standards, Kyuranger is pretty much the only one they haven't touched that has any real chance of success if it were to get adapted as a Power Rangers season, so this could be them trying to subtly put some pressure on Toei to make the seasons after Kiramager something a lot less "preschool" in aesthetic and thus something that can actually be adapted for the American market

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've seen some folks on Twitter (so, you know, grains of salt) say Hasbro sees Sentai is on life support and is trying to make preparations now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I never heard of that site before and I don't trust it at all.

I do think the IP might have some sort of shake-up after Dino Fury, if only because Hasbro will finally be the ones negotiating tv contracts. Maybe itll be the fabled move to netflix.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

I never heard of that site before and I don't trust it at all.

I do think the IP might have some sort of shake-up after Dino Fury, if only because Hasbro will finally be the ones negotiating tv contracts. Maybe itll be the fabled move to netflix.

Yeah I can imagine that Hasbro wouldn't be big fans of the Nickelodeon deal considering it means stretching out a series(and it's merchandise) over a 2 year period

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Power Rangers Rail Riders, exclusively on Quibi

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Hasbro has only just begun to milk the back catalog of material, they aren't going to drop the property yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just do a Kamen Rider anniversary season and call it "Power Rangers Mantis Morphers"

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Still waiting on that Netflix exclusivity deal.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I don't know how much merch Power Rangers is currently making, but I don't think taking Power Rangers in a DC Comics TV direction aimed at young adults and older fans is the worst direction to take. Especially if they can jack up those prices for more niche merch like the SH Figuarts were.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lightning Collection is already comfortably occupying the same niche figures like Figuarts would go into. And they're able to do a wider range of characters at a cheaper price, so.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RealFoxy posted:

I don't know how much merch Power Rangers is currently making, but I don't think taking Power Rangers in a DC Comics TV direction aimed at young adults and older fans is the worst direction to take. Especially if they can jack up those prices for more niche merch like the SH Figuarts were.

Again, that's not the issue with what's being proposed.

The issue is that Hasbro would not have access to any of the existing IP. That'd be disastrous for the brand- even for people that don't like MMPR rehashing all the time, they presumably like other series to get some love too.

All that is gone if this deal is what is being said.

Hasbro stopping the Power Ranger show as we know it is fine. Series like this live and die on reformation and refreshment. Changing things up is not a bad thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, the source is often wrong about a lot. The deal sounding like something Hasbro would be stupid to ever do isn't the only reason why you should doubt all this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Obviously after a few years they wash their hands and sell it back to Saban for much less than he bought it for, then Saban makes it for 10 years again and sells it to Time Warner

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Obviously after a few years they wash their hands and sell it back to Saban for much less than he bought it for, then Saban makes it for 10 years again and sells it to Time Warner

And then it gets sold to Disney again.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

From what they have left that is unadapted, and not pre ZyuRanger.

TOQger: Least adaptable imo due to Trains not being a big thing in the US and the suits being... okay...
Zyuohger: Minecraft is still hip, People like animals. Perfectly adaptable.
Kyuranger: A lot of rangers but a lot of them are suits/non human so you can be cheap with those an just have Voice Actors only for those.
Lupinranger VS Patranger: COPS might not be the best thing to adapt right now, but perfectly serviceable footage for a PR show.
Kiramager (currently running): More adaptable than TOQger but those sparkly gems thing might be seen rear end too girly for the US boys market.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Zedd posted:

From what they have left that is unadapted, and not pre ZyuRanger.

Zyuohger: Minecraft is still hip, People like animals. Perfectly adaptable.

Don;t even have to lean in to Minecraft. Just lean very heavy into being tech based. The Zords come from a Digital Pixel Plane. Their square form are a Giant Pixel.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The problem is that the mechs in Zyuohger and LuPat are loving ugly as sin and don't make for particularly good toys either(and Kiramager is only slightly better in that regard)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Power Rangers Thief Fury only uses footage of the Lupinrangers alone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Funky Valentine posted:

Power Rangers Thief Fury only uses footage of the Lupinrangers alone.

That wouldn't be particularly hard seeing how little the Patrangers do after a point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You could do a legit Older Audiences Power Ranger series about the oppressive CopRangers and the under class of thieves that have risen up against them.

Or something.

It's not something we're likely to get but you know it's a thing

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

drrockso20 posted:

The problem is that the mechs in Zyuohger and LuPat are loving ugly as sin and don't make for particularly good toys either(and Kiramager is only slightly better in that regard)

Seriously, those things are just hideous. I think a huge issue with adapting modern Sentai is the fact that the mech designs have really regressed as they've become more toyetic over the years. Like you have a team of five rangers, but their megazord is made of three zords and 12 other auxiliary zords that all basically function the same.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Burkion posted:

You could do a legit Older Audiences Power Ranger series about the oppressive CopRangers and the under class of thieves that have risen up against them.

Or something.

It's not something we're likely to get but you know it's a thing

Okay, pitching it as a Netflix Original aimed at the CW Superhero audience:

Power Rangers Crime Force
Silver Hills, Washington. The Silver Guardians are now the Golden Guardians and are basically everywhere in Washington now. Wes has long since retired and focuses more on helping other Rangers in his free time. Eric is now the commander. In an important expansion, the GGs are expanding into Golden Beach, Oregon. A quiet city with an odd history of unexplained incidents. As it turns out, it's a nest of aliens living on earth in secret... and have recently been in trouble by a new mafia trying to take over.

PRed a hotblooded guy who idolized eric. PPink a curious girl who wants to be detective. PGreen half human half alien, mom was part of astronema's invasion, but the zordon wave confirmed that she was of the sde of good. LRed is PRed's childhood friend who learned martial arts with him up until joining GG. LYellow a kind girl whose family owns a restaurant that helps aliens for 20 years now. LBlue alien ranger sent to earth to track down the mafia.

the mafia stole treasure from dozens of planets to power up their ranks and easily take over the quiet town in order to build their own empire. The pats are too rough in their actions. The lupins want to steal the treasures back and give them to their proper planets for the sake of earth's interstellar relationships.

7th ranger would try and be a double-agent, with the proposition to the lupins being that he believes the Golden Guardians lost their way and should return to being Silver Guardians.

SPD is now retconned to be from the future *and* a different universe. They beep booped wrong and that's how they met with the Dino Thunder team. And late in the season they get to travel to the SPD universe and see the A-Squad briefly.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 10, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When was the last good Megazord? The last good one I remember was SPD main one

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Jungle Fury's megazords were pretty cool imo

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gokai-Oh ruled, shame about the everything that happened with MegaForce

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

Seriously, those things are just hideous. I think a huge issue with adapting modern Sentai is the fact that the mech designs have really regressed as they've become more toyetic over the years. Like you have a team of five rangers, but their megazord is made of three zords and 12 other auxiliary zords that all basically function the same.

See I have no problem with them being Toyetic or having a bunch of add-on machines, they just need to be designed well, like we need another Boukenger in that regard

Honestly I actually really liked Nininger's mecha designs(and feel they translated over to toy form pretty well), and while they aren't perfect I think Ryusoulger's were pretty nice as well(and at least in the toys most of the flaws can be fixed due to their modularity), it's really only Zyuohger and LuPat that have dropped the ball so badly in the last couple of Sentai series

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Gokai-Oh ruled, shame about the everything that happened with MegaForce

Gokai-Oh had 4 sub zords that....never...actually.....did....anything

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

For sure, the individual components get no use apart from the team cruising around in the galleon, but the combined form is right up there as far as swanky Megazords go

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

jivjov posted:

And all of it's upgrades were ugly(especially in toy form), Silver's machine was cool, but it's combination with the main one was also pretty jank

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did like the individual zords in Ninja Steel and the cowboy zord and 4 wheeler zord and it's combined form, but did not like the Megazord or other Megazord combinations(though I did like the gimmicky Gurran Lagan-esque final attack)

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

drrockso20 posted:

And all of it's upgrades were ugly(especially in toy form), Silver's machine was cool, but it's combination with the main one was also pretty jank

I'll hold down Shinken Gokai-oh till my dying day, but that's probably because I love Shinkenger more than any other Sentai.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Shinken-Oh (and, thus, the Samurai Megazord) is probably my favorite sentai mecha design ever, with the possible exception of MagiKing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Shinken-Oh (and, thus, the Samurai Megazord) is probably my favorite sentai mecha design ever, with the possible exception of MagiKing.

Shikenger also has some issues with it's later combinations, but yeah the core robot is good

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How's the main Power Rangers comic? I really dig Go Go, but when I tried the main book initially I kinda bounced off of it. Maybe it was Kyle Higgins' writing?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Shikenger also has some issues with it's later combinations, but yeah the core robot is good

If you don't think Shinken Haoh is the best, most stupid thing to ever exist I don't know what to tell you.

Dawgstar posted:

How's the main Power Rangers comic? I really dig Go Go, but when I tried the main book initially I kinda bounced off of it. Maybe it was Kyle Higgins' writing?

If you liked Go Go, i can't see why you wouldn't like it. It's roughly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you don't think Shinken Haoh is the best, most stupid thing to ever exist I don't know what to tell you.

If you liked Go Go, i can't see why you wouldn't like it. It's roughly the same.

Oh I appreciate the sheer scale of it, but the actual combination is the epitome of bad design, Boukenger and Go-Onger both handle their ultimate combinations much better, and Goseiger, ToQger, and Nininger all get much sillier with theirs, so while it was impressive at the time it hasn't aged all that well