Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, with the 55 mark circled.

Some Euro speedometers have contrast markings on the standard Euro in town/b road/a road/motorway limits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Everything beyond the advisory or legal max speed should be labeled "Danger Zone"

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
While we're at it, bring back the talking onboard car computers. I don't need voice-activated whatevers, I have buttons for that, but just let my car screech at me in a badly synthesized voice instead of going bing-bong when I forget to turn the lights off.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nidhg00670000 posted:

While we're at it, bring back the talking onboard car computers. I don't need voice-activated whatevers, I have buttons for that, but just let my car screech at me in a badly synthesized voice instead of going bing-bong when I forget to turn the lights off.

We had a 1986 Nissan Maxima station wagon that talked. The voice was sampled so it sounded fine.

Left door is open
Right door is open
Key is in the ignition

Those are, uh, all the ones I remember.

Great car. Keyless entry with a keypad too. Fuel injected V6. It was up to around 289,000 miles when it stopped being driven.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
How can a door be a jar?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Some Euro speedometers have contrast markings on the standard Euro in town/b road/a road/motorway limits

Yeah, I thought my had another mark at 90 but I guess not

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of Vauxhall, my old Omega had a speedometer like this:

Like 2/3rds of the range is actually what you'll be using normally. It bothered me, as a nerd, that the scale wasn't consistent but in practice this worked well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One nice touch that I always liked on my 2012 WRX's gauges is that they took the time to align idle RPM with the speedo at zero position so that they were at the same angle. The symmetry was nice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
which idle speed

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

which idle speed

After it was warmed up. But the difference in size of the gauges meant there wasn't a ton of difference either way.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

"Your cell phone is still in the car."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Murgos posted:

"Your cell phone is still in the car."

You could totally do this with the wireless charging pads they have now or with NFC.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, my Golf R does that (well, with a message on the center display, not a voice) if you are connected to the car via bluetooth. "Don't forget your cell phone."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dear god, the day where the car nags me more than the wife when I park the car.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My Civic mostly beeps to get my attention but if I try to release the parking brake without pressing the brake pedal it will talk to me. That’s the only thing I’ve heard it say so far.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

KillHour posted:

You could totally do this with the wireless charging pads they have now or with NFC.

Yes, my car does it. It's a very pleasant voice with a hint of an accent. It's usually as I am grabbing my phone but a few times it has been helpful.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

I don't like speedometers that are too optimistic. I don't wanna see all the speed that I could be experiencing had I bought a faster car. Just let me feel fast man

My 2CV is the only car I know of where the speedo can't quite display the maximum speed the car can do. The official top speed is 71.5mph but it's not too hard (relatively speaking...) to do more than that and I've driven for long periods on French motorways with the needle hard on the top stop.

On the other hand my Xantia TD's speedo goes up to 150mph when the top speed is (supposedly) 110mph. I do appreciate that that means that when at the French legal limit in top gear it means both speed and tacho needles are vertical, though.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 10, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What are the supposed function of the curved lines on the lancia dash?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

What are the supposed function of the curved lines on the lancia dash?

That dash is from the Orca concept car, and the press images all show the dash in its test/display mode with all the elements lit up. I believe that the intent was that only one of the line's on the speedo and tacho would light up at a time, acting as a 'pointer' so, like on an analogue dial, you could get an idea of speed in your peripheral vision which you don't get with an illuminated digital display. That, and it looks :krad: , of course.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is the gauge cluster I’m used to in the Speed3, I’ve never seen that other setup. I love the gauges starting at 6 o’clock.

Top speed was limited to 155mph supposedly, which 250kph or thereabouts

The 1st gen speed3 would hit about 140 mph before running out of steam.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

LeeMajors posted:

It's pretty mindblowing. The 94 Supra Turbo was 'fast' with a 5.5s 0-60.

Close enough to a '94 Celica.

*Scotty Kilmer has entered the thread*

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mysteryberto posted:

You joke but Telsa charges $300 for unlocking heated rear seats on their lower trim model 3's.

I'm not joking, it's literally happening and manufacturers will quickly realize that not only can they upsell already-onboard options with digital unlocks but also that they can also decontent used cars of their standard features to extract money from that market as well. I put it at under 3 years before someone besides Tesla (guessing BMW, they're pieces of poo poo) packages a "free" lease-length subscription for standard features that requires the next buyer fork out a bunch of money to re-enable super basic poo poo that's available for no cost to the first owner.

I'm talking like you buy the car used and the autodimming mirrors don't work unless you give the car's infotainment system your credit card number.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it's gonna like that Phillip K. Dick book (UBIK) where you had to constantly shove coins into your front door lock, toaster, and shower, etc to use them.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 10, 2020

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm not joking, it's literally happening and manufacturers will quickly realize that not only can they upsell already-onboard options with digital unlocks but also that they can also decontent used cars of their standard features to extract money from that market as well. I put it at under 3 years before someone besides Tesla (guessing BMW, they're pieces of poo poo) packages a "free" lease-length subscription for standard features that requires the next buyer fork out a bunch of money to re-enable super basic poo poo that's available for no cost to the first owner.

I'm talking like you buy the car used and the autodimming mirrors don't work unless you give the car's infotainment system your credit card number.

This really is where things are heading, because the groups of people that buy cars new vs buy cars used are two entirely separate groups, and new buyers won't give a poo poo if the next guy gets hosed over.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Just got the update from Genesis. Canadian pricing is set, $76K for the 3.5L.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Good deal considering Genesis.ca don't charge freight, PDI, doc fees, etc. and the equivalent German would be 100k + fees.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Speaking of gauges I have a weird pet peeve about cars:

I hate gauge sweeps on startup. That poo poo was probably cool 20 years ago but now I'm like ok get on with it, it's kind of lame imo.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

smooth jazz posted:

Good deal considering Genesis.ca don't charge freight, PDI, doc fees, etc. and the equivalent German would be 100k + fees.

Fair enough but the outgoing model topped out at $13k less. It's just a big jump.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The Oldest Man posted:

Great. So I'm gonna have to hack and crack every used car I buy just to claw back features that are now gated behind a paywall. Thank you, Elon Musk.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, with the 55 mark circled.

Flashbacks to nearly every 80s-era FoMoCo product I've driven or ridden in.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Your door is ajar. Your door is ajar.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

90s Solo Cup posted:

Great. So I'm gonna have to hack and crack every used car I buy just to claw back features that are now gated behind a paywall. Thank you, Elon Musk.

Don't you worry, they're going to get legislation passed to make that a felony

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Previa_fun posted:

I hate gauge sweeps on startup. That poo poo was probably cool 20 years ago but now I'm like ok get on with it, it's kind of lame imo.

I get peeved by the tempert gauge on our Mazda. The scale has inconsistent steps, and the operating temperature is at a crooked looking angle - throughout the test drive I was wondering if there was something wrong with it

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

90s Solo Cup posted:

Flashbacks to nearly every 80s-era FoMoCo product I've driven or ridden in.

You wouldn't download a heated seats

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

90s Solo Cup posted:

https://youtu.be/tefHYLCEbAA

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Welp. Ford's started leaking Bronco stuff early and I think I might be sold. The 2 door looks gooood.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Liquid Communism posted:

Welp. Ford's started leaking Bronco stuff early and I think I might be sold. The 2 door looks gooood.

I was thinking the same thing, I used to be a downer about the bronco but everything that's leaked has me optimistic about it now. I honestly expected them to put a panoramic moonroof on an SUV and say it was good enough, glad I was wrong.

I hope they base the next ranger off the bronco platform, I like the gladiator but I'm never buying another Chrysler product again.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Previa_fun posted:

Gauge sweeps don't bother me, but cheapo odo/trip/mpg displays do. Yeah, let's just put a display straight out of a Timex watch or Casio calculator in the lower-tier trims despite it being 2020, an era where the entire dashboard is soon to be one giant touchscreen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

I was thinking the same thing, I used to be a downer about the bronco but everything that's leaked has me optimistic about it now. I honestly expected them to put a panoramic moonroof on an SUV and say it was good enough, glad I was wrong.

I hope they base the next ranger off the bronco platform, I like the gladiator but I'm never buying another Chrysler product again.

They're already the same platform. This was the Bronco test mule.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

90s Solo Cup posted:

Gauge sweeps don't bother me, but cheapo odo/trip/mpg displays do. Yeah, let's just put a display straight out of a Timex watch or Casio calculator in the lower-tier trims despite it being 2020, an era where the entire dashboard is soon to be one giant touchscreen.

It's a dick move to let you know that you didn't spend enough

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Lord Stimperor posted:

It's a dick move to let you know that you didn't spend enough

Ugly blank button panels and the like exist specifically to shame people into spending more money to get something that's not poo poo.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

As Nero Danced posted:

I have never owned a Jeep but the culture around them is an insane turnoff. Which is a shame because an old beater jeep seems like a lot of fun even if it’s Chrysler trash (and I can’t afford to restore an old FJ).

But the gladiator just looks like rear end—staples a truck bed onto a wrangler and called it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’m really excited about the Bronco because I feel like I’ll get a better Jeep without all the Chrysler baggage.