Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

pmchem posted:

They should just force the entire NFL to quarantine then go together to a place like New Zealand and do the season there. With enough testing and post flight isolation you could ensure the season was COVID free.

I don’t know why these dumbfucks aren’t being more proactive about isolating NFL teams from an infected population at large. It’s doable with NFL level money and would save the season.

That would be so cool but literally no player would agree to do it even if it was logistically possible. Also games would need to be tape delayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That would be so cool but literally no player would agree to do it even if it was logistically possible. Also games would need to be tape delayed.

How will it work for the Pat's if the tapes are delayed?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

pmchem posted:

They should just force the entire NFL to quarantine then go together to a place like New Zealand and do the season there. With enough testing and post flight isolation you could ensure the season was COVID free.

I don’t know why these dumbfucks aren’t being more proactive about isolating NFL teams from an infected population at large. It’s doable with NFL level money and would save the season.

Because the teams require a literal army of personnel to support them, and the players are not going to agree to be away from their families for 8 months, which means they need a couple armies to support the families as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pmchem posted:

Why the gently caress on Earth would New Zealand let them in?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Billions of dollars and incredible PR.

To be clear, they have a stellar quarantine protocol.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

Because the teams require a literal army of personnel to support them, and the players are not going to agree to be away from their families for 8 months, which means they need a couple armies to support the families as well.

Let’s face it, it’s basically a 5 month dislocation for a bunch of millionaires. It could be done. The NFL could put up for housing, they can afford it. NZ surely has plenty of empty hotels and rental properties right now, it’s a pandemic and their winter season.

If the choice is doing this or a cancelled season and nobody getting paid, the players would do it. So would owners. Staff would need to be taken care of with something extra.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Skwirl posted:

New Zealand let in the Avatar production crew because of the supposed economic benefits. In theory the same could apply to the NFL, they would just need to pay for two weeks of quarantine. Once they're out of that, it's business as usual.

E: New Zealand has had no cases in the community for about a month, and the last case acquired in the community was two months ago. We have a handful (25 maybe) that have been picked up through mandatory testing as part of quarantine for anyone entering the country.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

pmchem posted:

The wealthy in America run this country with the help of the uselessly stupid that they're not much smarter than.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jono C posted:

New Zealand let in the Avatar production crew because of the supposed economic benefits. In theory the same could apply to the NFL, they would just need to pay for two weeks of quarantine. Once they're out of that, it's business as usual.

E: New Zealand has had no cases in the community for about a month, and the last case acquired in the community was two months ago. We have a handful (25 maybe) that have been picked up through mandatory testing as part of quarantine for anyone entering the country.

You're talking about an order of magnitude fewer people between Avatar cast and crew and the entire NFL even assuming none of them brought family.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Skwirl posted:

You're talking about an order of magnitude fewer people between Avatar cast and crew and the entire NFL even assuming none of them brought family.

True, but New Zealand used to be heavily dependent on tourism to survive and that industry is dead, so there should be plenty of hotels up for the task.

The bigger problem would likely be the players being bored out of their minds and getting up to mischief.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jono C posted:

True, but New Zealand used to be heavily dependent on tourism to survive and that industry is dead, so there should be plenty of hotels up for the task.

The bigger problem would likely be the players being bored out of their minds and getting up to mischief.

1760 bored athletes away from all their friends, family and spouses, in an unfamiliar country with a healthy drinking culture, I don't see how that could raise any problems.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Lolling at the idea of the NFL literally destroying an entire loving country so people can pretend We're Back

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Where the gently caress do they even play? How many Rugby and Soccer fields does New Zealand have and how willing would the teams that currently use them be willing to share?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

There are plenty of rugby stadiums in NZ that could easily be modified to suit NFL games. The NFL is generally in rugby's offseason, so clashes there would be minimal.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Where the gently caress do they even play? How many Rugby and Soccer fields does New Zealand have and how willing would the teams that currently use them be willing to share?

and how many of those fields would be rendered unplayable for months after 2 NFL games? The medical facilities that teams are used to having would likely be more than NZ's hospital system has for their entire population.

Hell going by https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s,12%20sponsors

65 players
30 coaches
35 members of the front office (player personnel, PR, digital media, operations)
15 equipment staff
12 sponsors
8 security agents
6 training staff
5 members of the radio crew
4 doctors

5,760 in just loving staff

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

LOTR is basically an enduring footage roll for tourists and football would be like fifteen seconds of tony romo saying how great the golf is in NZ and maybe a blimp shot on MNF.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
New Zealanders are a nice and good people and it would be a total rear end in a top hat move to send them Tom Br*dy, noteworthy piece of human poo poo, for them to have to deal with for an extended period of time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Has anyone seriously suggested this or are we kicking the can around spitballing about something that will never happen?

If it's the second I'd be for giving it a shot and think the fields would be fine and medical care could be figured out. NZ would have to figure out strict procedures about quarantining early on, which they've been doing but probably not on this level.

If it's the first...yeah the owners need to be convinced they'd make money off of it because that's the most important only important thing to them.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Imagine going back on a Forums Time Machine to January and telling TFF that in 6 months we would be discussing the NFL fleeing to *checks notes* New Zealand, to be able to play some wack version of the NFL season. lol.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Also why pay NZ a billion dollars when you can get a tax cut and a free stadium from somewhere in texas/florida/arizona and not actually have to deal with any actual quarantining.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hifi posted:

Also why pay NZ a billion dollars when you can get a tax cut and a free stadium from somewhere in texas/florida/arizona and not actually have to deal with any actual quarantining.

Again, the "where would the play" issue comes up. Florida at least has made it very clear their college stadiums are gonna be used by college students.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Arizona and florida could probably convert all their baseball spring training fields into fooball fields.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

Arizona and florida could probably convert all their baseball spring training fields into fooball fields.

When I think of safe places to travel to right now Arizona and Florida are definitely on the top of the list.

Man the NBA is hosed.

e: I haven't been paying attention, what is the NHL planning? Do they have a central location or are they just going hog wild?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hifi posted:

Isn't the MLB also foolishly pushing forward with reopening? I bet they don't want their fields for next spring training torn to shreds, especially since they'll probably be breaking in a bunch of rookie players.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they're all doing spring training in their home cities. I think with the diamondbacks specifically it's at chase field too.

the cost of the fields is whatever and they'd have like... months to fix it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hifi posted:

they're all doing spring training in their home cities. I think with the diamondbacks specifically it's at chase field too.

the cost of the fields is whatever and they'd have like... months to fix it

When does spring training start? It's before Spring actually starts, I know that.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

When I think of safe places to travel to right now Arizona and Florida are definitely on the top of the list.

Man the NBA is hosed.

e: I haven't been paying attention, what is the NHL planning? Do they have a central location or are they just going hog wild?

Two hubs. One in Vegas and one in Toronto I think

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The NHL is all in Canada now so they might actually pull it off.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Skwirl posted:

When does spring training start? It's before Spring actually starts, I know that.

feb 12 but you'd think the super bowl would automatically be at the cardinals or some florida team's stadium

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hifi posted:

feb 12 but you'd think the super bowl would automatically be at the cardinals or some florida team's stadium

So they'd have a month and a half assuming all the post season games are played at universities who lost too many students to covid to continue the season.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ches Neckbeard posted:

and how many of those fields would be rendered unplayable for months after 2 NFL games? The medical facilities that teams are used to having would likely be more than NZ's hospital system has for their entire population.

I'm pretty sure a country with 5 million people has sufficient capacity for a fraction of 5760

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Grittybeard posted:

Man the NBA is hosed.

They're doing 2 hub cities; Edmonton and Toronto, they're doing a Round Robin play-in for the playoffs There will be like 6 hockey games per day, 3 in each hub city.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Skwirl posted:

So they'd have a month and a half assuming all the post season games are played at universities who lost too many students to covid to continue the season.

they've fixed sod on bye weeks. poorly, but a month and a half gives you a lot of time to fix the mistakes.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm pretty sure a country with 5 million people has sufficient capacity for a fraction of 5760

Bed capacity sure. Imaging equipment at the stadiums? I'm saying the high dollar poo poo that would normally be reserved for the horribly injured but is available if you have the money in America

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The NFL is banking on this going away and will start the season. When high profile guys get sick they’ll be forced to make a decision about the number of games

2020 is going to join 1982 and 1987 as an asterisk year when you look at stats

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The NFL's budget is obscenely large, as will be the loss in player salaries and owner profits if no season is played.

With that kind of money on the table, people need to think a little more creatively about making things work. You don't need billion dollar stadiums to play football this season. You need a handful of fields that are 100 yards long, lots of sod, poles to string cameras from, and isolation. This is easily doable if people have the willpower to make it happen. You could even do it in some random part of the midwest -- there's plenty of goddamn land -- if the NFL and NFLPA can be strict enough about quarantine procedures. The hard part about picking a random part of the USA that can successfully be quarantined (i.e., no cities) is simply finding housing for all the people needed. New Zealand solves that problem.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

The NFL is banking on this going away and will start the season. When high profile guys get sick they’ll be forced to make a decision about the number of games

2020 is going to join 1982 and 1987 as an asterisk year when you look at stats

High profile guys you say?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:hmmyes:

Even being generous and interpreting Jenkins' comment as "Jews aren't a problem at all", there's hella hundreds of better ways to say that.

I think in context the statement meant "Jews aren't our enemy" which makes a lot more sense. Bad phrasing but heart in the right place imo.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Skwirl posted:

High profile guys you say?

I don’t think the owners give a poo poo about each other and he’s a billionaire so he’ll be fine. Won’t affect their policy IMHO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Keith Atherton posted:

I don’t think the owners give a poo poo about each other and he’s a billionaire so he’ll be fine. Won’t affect their policy IMHO

I dunno, some of what I've read suggests that if you draw the short straw with COVID-19, no amount of money saves you at this point.