Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
The Lidl near me (like, my closest shop apart from the dodgy corner shop where the kids on bikes that are drug couriers hang out) has stopped bothering to bag there bakery stuff, so no matter how nice the croissants are (and they are nice), I'm not going there.

Edit - have my cat, sitting out in the rain, in the cat-house I got him

Renfield fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
this came up in the fast food forum regarding sandwich toppings (putting sweetcorn on a sandwich seems insane to americans)

do you guys actually use "corn" to refer to wheat sometimes? is that a real thing

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

absolutely not, and sweetcorn shouldn't be near a sandwich

we may use "corn" to refer to cereal crops growing in a field, so you might look at a bunch of wheat growing and go "huh, corn", but definitely not in the context of eating stuff

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I get crazy looks when I say sweetcorn isn’t an unusual pizza topping back home too.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Sweetcorn and mushroom was my go to pizza order as a young stoner

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's a shame because sweetcorn is really, really good on pizza. Also, Subway have a whole bin of sweetcorn so it is a canon sandwich filling.

I don't make the rules.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i don't think so? i don't really sit down and talk about wheat at any point in my life though

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

I consider pizza with toppings that may have been natural at some point as healthy eating. You have sweetcorn and peppers on there that's a couple of your five a day.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the post in question was actually about subway, and it is extremely bizarre to americans that subway would ever offer corn as a sandwich topping.

do people actually go to subway and order a sandwich and add corn on it like a normal topping? it's alien

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
corn is bad on pizza and in sandwiches. i pretty much only eat it on the cob. steam it then give it a fry in some butter and paprika + black pepper

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Jose posted:

corn is bad on pizza and in sandwiches. i pretty much only eat it on the cob. steam it then give it a fry in some butter and paprika + black pepper

You're going to live forever

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Corn in the Field
Corn flour for soups and stews
Corn on the cob/corn cobette for the whole ruddy thing

Sweetcorn is the individual yellow bits.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i find it very hard to feign outrage or surprise or whatever over food toppings or sandwich ingrediants. who cares.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TheAardvark posted:

the post in question was actually about subway, and it is extremely bizarre to americans that subway would ever offer corn as a sandwich topping.

do people actually go to subway and order a sandwich and add corn on it like a normal topping? it's alien

oh right it's dell_zincht

that said, tuna and sweetcorn is an actual filling, but having sweetcorn as sort of its own ingredient unbound by a substrate is odd. i think the USA doesn't have a "sandwich paste" culture - focusing more on deli meats etc - whereas post-war britain developed one to use up all the hoof squeezings, chicken scraps etc.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

oh right it's dell_zincht

that said, tuna and sweetcorn is an actual filling, but having sweetcorn as sort of its own ingredient unbound by a substrate is odd. i think the USA doesn't have a "sandwich paste" culture - focusing more on deli meats etc - whereas post-war britain developed one to use up all the hoof squeezings, chicken scraps etc.

i clicked the link and i am actually only more confused. what the gently caress are sandwich pastes? is it just a thing you mix with meat to make a sandwich filling?

e: oh it's in the other direction. this is extremely weird

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 12, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Renfield posted:

The Lidl near me (like, my closest shop apart from the dodgy corner shop where the kids on bikes that are drug couriers hang out) has stopped bothering to bag there bakery stuff, so no matter how nice the croissants are (and they are nice), I'm not going there.

Edit - have my cat, sitting out in the rain, in the cat-house I got him

That is so cute. Where did you get it?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

hemale in pain posted:

i find it very hard to feign outrage or surprise or whatever over food toppings or sandwich ingrediants. who cares.

You like thing?! On a thing?!?! Aaaaargh!!!

Get thee behind me, foul beast!!!

*hisses and makes crucifix with fingers*

aaaaaaargh!!! Barbarians!!!

unclean, unclean!!!!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

i clicked the link and i am actually only more confused. what the gently caress are sandwich pastes? is it just a thing you mix with meat to make a sandwich filling?

e: oh it's in the other direction. this is extremely weird

it's just mixed ingrediants in a pot you spread on to or between bread like peanut butter or nutella.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hemale in pain posted:

it's just mixed ingrediants in a pot you spread on to or between bread like peanut butter or nutella.

in the US we call those salads for some reason. Chicken Salad is shredded chicken, mayo, celery, spices, maybe other vegetables, and we use it the same way. Tuna salad is the same thing but tuna.

Mostly they get spread on toast or bread alone as a sandwich. Chicken and tuna are the only ones, though. The same thing with other meats is basically unheard of

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chicken and seafood salad are both great, similar enough to British sandwich spreads. I can’t complain about a lunch I can make in seconds.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Salmon paste is great and is basically viscous liquid tuna salad but with salmon.

a primate fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 13, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yes hello you rang?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I'm sorry guys please don't expel me from the UK thread

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Sunswipe posted:

Just saw an advert for an app aimed at people who keep losing track of all their pension plans, and I think I'm ready to guillotine some bourgeois motherfuckers.

If you move jobs a lot, you can end up with a whole bunch of tiny little pension pots, all being mismanaged in various ways and all having great big fees taken out of them.

The solution is to have a SIPP and to insist that your pension is transferred into it every time you leave a job, so all your money's in the same place (if you're worried about managing investments yourself, don't be: you couldn't possibly be any worse than the actual 'professionals' who do this for a living). Don't know why you'd need an app, tho.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've get letters from 4 pension schemes out there, and zero expectation of being in a generation that ever actually retires

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 12, 2020

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

WeaklyInteracting
Nov 15, 2011

Hello I am long time lurker / occasional poster WeaklyInteracting and my gimmick is poorly executed culinary mashups.

Sandwich filling chat: this is a Swedish sandwich cake made for midsummer with 100% British Ingredients.

It contains a layer of coronation chicken jackfruit with corn because I can't fathom putting raisins and apricots in a sandwich filling [but a cake where the frosting is mayo is perfectly OK]. The other fillings are mushy peas, beetroot salad cream and coleslaw.

The Colin Caterpillar resemblance was accidental.

Fake edit: it was more or less edible, but even if I like mayo I couldn't eat that much of it before it became a health hazard. So I added 500g of spinach and made knödel (bread balls to cook in broth) out of it after the weekend and they tasted so much healthier.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Some of these new posters have pretty good gimmicks

Hello

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd previously assumed that Swedish sandwich cakes were a made-up thing.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

that might be the least appealing food i have ever seen

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

does anyone like coronation chicken? i do even if it's weird and disgusting and shouldn't exist.

also petition to rename fridge corn to fridge wheat.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

I got free meals in school because I was/am a poor,

Best of a bad bunch was the coronation chicken baguette

I ate around the raisins

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

classic uk dish -

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hemale in pain posted:

classic uk dish -

how much curry powder/taste is in it as you guys have normally had it? I actually use a kind of coronation chicken recipe when I make chicken salad but I use a shitload of curry powder, I have no idea what the average one tastes like, I imagine primarily mayonnaise

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Yeah primarily mayo but with some cumin. It's tikka for boomers.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Actually it's probably even a pre-boomer thing tbh.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Natalie Fartman posted:

I got free meals in school because I was/am a poor,

same we were the year that they introduced swipable lunch cards too, and they bugged out with the free lunches for the poors. So kids were getting hundreds of pounds appearing on their cards for no reason and buying heaps of cakes

i went veggie when i was 13 and got to eat chips everyday at school

heck, still do

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

does anyone like coronation chicken? i do even if it's weird and disgusting and shouldn't exist.

also petition to rename fridge corn to fridge wheat.

I like it but I don't like the connotation it has with the royal family because the royal family are poo poo wee wee

also raisins and apricots own and definitely go with curry sauce

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

WeaklyInteracting posted:

Hello I am long time lurker / occasional poster WeaklyInteracting and my gimmick is poorly executed culinary mashups.

Sandwich filling chat: this is a Swedish sandwich cake made for midsummer with 100% British Ingredients.

It contains a layer of coronation chicken jackfruit with corn because I can't fathom putting raisins and apricots in a sandwich filling [but a cake where the frosting is mayo is perfectly OK]. The other fillings are mushy peas, beetroot salad cream and coleslaw.

The Colin Caterpillar resemblance was accidental.

Fake edit: it was more or less edible, but even if I like mayo I couldn't eat that much of it before it became a health hazard. So I added 500g of spinach and made knödel (bread balls to cook in broth) out of it after the weekend and they tasted so much healthier.

good, good. now suspend it in aspic/gelatin. britisher. more british!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheAardvark posted:

in the US we call those salads for some reason. Chicken Salad is shredded chicken, mayo, celery, spices, maybe other vegetables, and we use it the same way. Tuna salad is the same thing but tuna.

Mostly they get spread on toast or bread alone as a sandwich. Chicken and tuna are the only ones, though. The same thing with other meats is basically unheard of

a supermarket chicken salad sandwich here would usually be slices of chicken breast, tomato and lettuce with some mayo. a supermarket chicken and stuffing sandwich would be small chunks of chicken in mayo with stuffing put on top of that