Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think The Far Side is probably the thing that shaped my sense of humor the most.

:same:

edit: poo poo, what a terrible snype. content — my dad loved the far side and growing up we had several of the galleries on our bookshelf (i think 2 & 4). i read them over and over again as a young kid and they became one of the fundamental pieces of my personality/humor. i just went down to my basement when i saw this thread and found that i still have them and am now introducing my husband to the far side for the first time :3:

HAM ON THE BONE fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Spinz posted:

They were wrong to be so mean but I also had no idea what fyad was and was v stupid.

I survived. :) You've all been so nice I'm blown away and drawing more now, I have like 75 ideas in a notebook. :dance:

Woo! :toot:

Sid Vicious posted:

im a gbs poster :)

International Brotherhood of General Bullshit Posters Local 420

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Nessa posted:

Oh man, I used to want to be Gary Larson too and made a bunch of knockoff cartoons as well. I was like, 13. I don’t have the drawings anymore. They’re probably lost to the sands of time. I remember some of them though.

Beds walking around for a “night of the living beds” joke.

A bear in a trench coat asking another bear “Hey buddy, wanna buy a squirrel?”

A McDonalds manager examining the fries in the deep fryer and saying, “Someone’s been licking all the salt off these French fries!” There’s a cow working the register in the background.

A man with a briefcase in a suit, but not wearing pants, waiting at the bus stop. Caption: “Herbert couldn’t help but feel that he was forgetting something.”

There were a bunch more too that I can’t remember at the moment. I wish I still had these terrible old comics.

I’m not sure about the first one, but all of the rest of these feel like they could make good Far Sides.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone who doesn’t think “TAXIDERMY!” isn’t up to his old standard should go revisit literally any book in his career, that is PEAK Larson lmao

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
erstwhile goon KC Green did a series of fake Far Side cartoons. I think they're hilarious, but they are in a certain sense mostly cow tools with cusses:

https://instagram.com/fofftm

a few examples:

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
thanks, i hate it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Strumpie posted:

thanks, i hate it.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Omfg. I woke up my wife laughing after seeing this. Lol!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

hell yeah lmao

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

This one is super funny but the "I grew up watching the Simpsons" faces on the TV are killing it for me.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Bust Rodd posted:

This one is super funny but the "I grew up watching the Simpsons" faces on the TV are killing it for me.

Master Shake shows up in a bunch of the backgrounds for absolutely no diegetic reason.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

gently caress Off is also available at https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/f-off/list?title_no=342616 in case you don't want to sign up for Instagram.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

BigBadSteve posted:

I just looked at that one, and it's bears eating cub scouts with no sign of any sort of joke. idgi.

Gary Larson is sexually aroused by bears squashing and destroying things so there's a very good chance that's just him drawing a little something for daddy under the thinnest veneer of a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNU5Ivpbwew&t=473s

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Those are super neat, I've never seen them before and done by a goon! I'm hoping this becomes a goon cartoon catch-all thread. I did one inspired by Cyanide and Happiness:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lol

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Spinz posted:

Those are super neat, I've never seen them before and done by a goon! I'm hoping this becomes a goon cartoon catch-all thread. I did one inspired by Cyanide and Happiness:

lol this is good

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Spinster is horny posting again

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It truly is the dawning of a new golden age

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbCT5fXdhhc

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

lol

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Strumpie posted:

I thought it was more trying to fight the effects of gravity lol

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
gravity always wins

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
I made a knockoff far side comic when i was around 8 or 9. it was just a fishbowl with one of those jesus fish you see on people’s cars in it. and the caption was “gods fishtank” lol

been rereading the galleries and i think i understand where my love of reptiles (particularly snakes) came from now.

anyone remember the far side animated cartoon that aired in like 95? all i remember from it was some guys driving through the desert on a “roadkill tour” and that the whole thing was super bizarre in an almost uncomfortable way.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
80s newspaper comics were such a bizarre thing. Like where else can a guy who can only draw two types of men, one type of woman, and like three different animals have a storied career as an artist.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Transformers : Go-Bots :: Far Side : Bizarro Comics

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Empty Sandwich posted:

Bizarro Comics

Zippy the Pinhead

Bitchy Bitch

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

anyone remember the far side animated cartoon that aired in like 95? all i remember from it was some guys driving through the desert on a “roadkill tour” and that the whole thing was super bizarre in an almost uncomfortable way.

Nope, but it's on Youtube.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Code Jockey posted:

I thought it was more trying to fight the effects of gravity lol

It can be both

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Telebite posted:

Zippy the Pinhead

Bitchy Bitch

nah, these:

they used to read like a straight-up FS ripoff

Zippy is cool

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Who What Now posted:

It can be both

:hai:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Telebite posted:

Zippy the Pinhead

Zippy launched almost a decade before Far Side. If there's any influence, it's in the other direction.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The difference is that Far Side was funny, Zippy was weird with a joke sometimes tacked on.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

Transformers : Go-Bots :: Far Side : Bizarro Comics

Come on, Go-Bots isn't that bad. And I confidently say this having never seen Go-Bots.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

super sweet best pal posted:

Come on, Go-Bots isn't that bad. And I confidently say this having never seen Go-Bots.

Go-bot toys were decentish.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spinz posted:

Oh wow thanks I thought I'd get stomped for presuming, he's the master. I have just one more I like; cannot find it except in black and white

Morticia went straight for the frank and beans.

Strumpie posted:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Strumpie posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
yay larson is back!

also on the topic of weird comics have some Lucid TV for some reason

http://www.lucid-tv.com/009.html

i cannot find a complete archive of the old stuff and it's making me sad

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

:eyepop:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Whatever flaws Gary has, he isn't Scott Adams. At least we can agree on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Area 69