Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, they're not prestige but these were both big blockbusters in the past couple of years. I'd hardly call that a dead career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In fairness, the $500m made by that movie were from people unaware how loving bad it was going to be.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
that should tell you how much goodwill the first movie bought because $500m is a lot for a movie i've never known a single person say they liked.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I too like to declare an actress has killed her career because she was in a bad movie five months before Hollywood up and died

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Marin Karin posted:

that should tell you how much goodwill the first movie bought because $500m is a lot for a movie i've never known a single person say they liked.

Yeah, that's insane - IT 2 was loving garbage.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Once I decided it was going to be a comedy, I enjoyed it. The severed head scene was great, and you know it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Can't stop thinkin' about the haunted Animorphs middle section of this poster.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vagabundo posted:

Once I decided it was going to be a comedy, I enjoyed it. The severed head scene was great, and you know it.

It was just as funny as the first one and I’m surprised anyone expected it to be anything else.

If it was ultra serious I would’ve probably been in the camp that hates it. But I love the insane mess that it is.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It was just as funny as the first one and I’m surprised anyone expected it to be anything else.

If it was ultra serious I would’ve probably been in the camp that hates it. But I love the insane mess that it is.

The bit early on, where everyone including Peter Bogdanovich because why not? shits on Bill Denbrough's writing should've been a dead give away.

Bill Hader's dead-pan delivery of "oh, there he is" got a big laugh out of the theatre I saw it in.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I'll admit, I loved the awkward, neurotic bathroom stabbing scene. A lot of the comedy fell flat for me, but I liked that one a lot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Danger: Diabolik rules.

It's basically a Batman film if instead of being a vigilante Batman was a thief and a terrorist whose sole goal is embarrassing the police.

To be honest, Danger: Diabolik was my only real exposure to that particular franchise. How's the other stuff (I know it was a Italian comic book originally and there was a cartoon made at one point)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 14, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vagabundo posted:

Hmm yes, a film that made almost $500 million off a budget of $80 million, that got OK reviews.

Oh word?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Larryb posted:

To be honest, Danger: Diabolik was my only real exposure to that particular franchise. How's the other stuff (I know it was a French comic book originally and there was a cartoon made at one point)?

Italian comic made by two sisters in the 60's who are stil trucking to this day. It has more than 800 volumes so I'd assume some of 'em are complete bangers. Reading the wikipedia page, it seems that Diabolik birthed an entire comics genre in Italy. Way to go Diabolik!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The amount of money a movie makes has no real impact on the quality. Since most the money is made on opening weekend and you pay before you see the movie

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

That’s only remotely true for blockbusters

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah it’s true for most movies outside like Indy films

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CharlestheHammer posted:

The amount of money a movie makes has no real impact on the quality. Since most the money is made on opening weekend and you pay before you see the movie

Money has no intrinsic value in and of itself. We agree to use money as a store of value because that works much better than a system of pure barter, but there's nothing special about a "dollar"
'.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Arguing semantics about the purely symbolic value of money is fun. But I’m pretty sure that post was just trying to say that, for Hollywood actress Jessica Chastain, the critical reception and commercial performance of It: Part 2 was reasonable enough not to kill her career in the eyes of capitalists who make movies and also cast them.

This seems different than the argument people think was made, which is apparently that dollars = goodness.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Goodness equals goodness. I stan for angel in the morning vomiting leper’s

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether a good movie is beloved by the audience because it is good, or good because it is beloved of the audience.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
More money = better than.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
You're going to summon Misterbibs here.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chris Knight posted:

More money = better than.

Agreed.
That's why James Cameron's Avatar is one of the best movies of all time and the sixteen sequels will form our new government.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The cover for the new Criterion version of Parasite is ludicrously bad:

The concept kind of makes sense, because it says "Parasite" in morse code but it looks awful on top of the original poster and it's incredibly esoteric.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fun bit of new trivia: The Teds is an unrealized film collaboration between David Lynch and The Residents that never materialized outside of the Prelude to the Teds EP back in 1993. It's now getting a comic book adaptation in Italy for some reason?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Almost Blue posted:

The concept kind of makes sense, because it says "Parasite" in morse code but it looks awful on top of the original poster and it's incredibly esoteric.

That'd be a cool slipcover over the regular cover that's just the OG poster.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BonoMan posted:

That'd be a cool slipcover over the regular cover that's just the OG poster.

Yeah that would work great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Almost Blue posted:

The B&W cover they did was so much better

https://twitter.com/filmdaze/status/1281733643002617858?s=21

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah that would work great.

Man I remember when a lot of thought and effort went into deluxe packaging and having a nicely stocked DVD shelf was a thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Criterion have just always been wildly inconsistent with their designs. Some are fantastic, some are just unjustifiable.

The Dazed and Confused packaging has cutouts on it so that comes to mind given the topic, but jeez why can't one of my favorite movies ever get artwork that just isn't complete rear end. From VHS to Blu-Ray, it gets screwed over time and time again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

At least it's better than their True Stories cover

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gripweed posted:

What? I thought True Stories was fine except for that one time I put it back on my shelf upside down.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Gripweed posted:

...What's wrong with the True Stories cover?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

King Vidiot posted:

What? I thought True Stories was fine except for that one time I put it back on my shelf upside down.

No it's bad.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

...What's wrong with the True Stories cover?

It's bad.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Gripweed posted:

It's bad.

I don't know, maybe I'm blind to it because I still remember how horrible some of the DVD covers used to be. Plus the cover to Little Horses or whatever the gently caress that Lena Dunham movie was.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The DVD cover was much better

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xealot posted:

Arguing semantics about the purely symbolic value of money is fun. But I’m pretty sure that post was just trying to say that, for Hollywood actress Jessica Chastain, the critical reception and commercial performance of It: Part 2 was reasonable enough not to kill her career in the eyes of capitalists who make movies and also cast them.

This seems different than the argument people think was made, which is apparently that dollars = goodness.

I thought it was quite clear, and I'd assumed people posting in here would be well aware of the fact that the film industry is a money-driven one. I guess overestimating people in this thread will not be a mistake I'll be repeating in a hurry.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 15, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/neonrated/status/1283431033786884096?s=10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
POSSESSOR!