Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Raskolnikov38 posted:

brain aneurysm apparently

ah ok i had only read unknown causes. yeah brain aneurysms can just gently caress poo poo up at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lacrosse posted:

I take solace in the fact that they're stuck in this shithole country too instead of jetting off to Italy or wherever the gently caress

wrong. they have superyachts and new zealand bunkers. they're gonna be just fine.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Xaris posted:

wow poo poo Grant Imahara died

not of covid maybe but could have been related.

jfc, brain aneurysm

there's a really good story Adam tells about him on the corporate speaking circuit about Grant getting his first robotics parts catalog in the mail. :(

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Xaris posted:

wow poo poo Grant Imahara died

not of covid maybe but could have been related.

aw man that's a bummer

grant built the energizer bunny used in those 90s commercials

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwnOO9KGgV0

:rip: great american hero defending the safety of mcdonald chicken tendies from the libs :smith:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

brain aneurysm apparently

possibly a covid symptom (it causes blood clots) but we won't know for a while

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

possibly a covid symptom (it causes blood clots) but we won't know for a while
yeah i was initially thinking blood clot when I read it given the suddenness and had put maybe in there, but yeah, poo poo can also just pop off and happen at random too. a fair number of healthy youngish people do die to random brain aneurysms each year--also partly why it was a joke in Archer.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

gently caress :smith:

archer was right

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The truly wealthy can isolate forever and if you never come into contact with someone who has corona, you never get corona.

Someone has to actually bring them food and they have to get water from somewhere you know right?

Rich people are the most spoiled whiny people on earth they can't handle being isolated forever.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

uncurable mlady posted:

if reinfection was trivial then wouldn’t you be seeing it in China by now? also NY? there’s always weird one-off exceptions but the risk seems pretty low

You would need a place that had widespread infections early in the pandemic, and continued widespread infections so there’s a good chance of someone infected in the first wave coming into contact with the virus in the second wave.

China is keeping it suppressed so there’s not much chance of a survivor of their initial outbreak contracting it from a subsequent outbreak.

NY would be a better candidate because it sounds like it’s still simmering away even though it isn’t as widespread as it once was.

European countries don’t seem to be getting huge numbers of new cases so the odds of a reinfection there are slim I think.

I’d be looking at healthcare or retail workers as being the most likely candidates for reinfection because they were likely to have been infected in the initial outbreak and would be in the firing line of any subsequent outbreaks. I assume the chances of discovering a reinfection will increase over time as more people’s antibodies decline.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

yeah i was initially thinking blood clot when I read it given the suddenness and had put maybe in there, but yeah, poo poo can also just pop off and happen at random too. a fair number of healthy youngish people do die to random brain aneurysms each year--also partly why it was a joke in Archer.

My mom nearly married someone. Then one day she was going to visit him and he wasn't returning calls. Turns out he died abruptly of brain aneurysm. Age 26

She married my dad 2 years later, had me, if not for that aneurysm I would've never existed. 30 years later and my mom still gets pretty bad anxiety if people don't return her calls/texts because of that, so I try to promptly respond whenever she contacts me

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

riseofmydick posted:

Someone has to actually bring them food and they have to get water from somewhere you know right?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

My mom nearly married someone. Then one day she was going to visit him and he wasn't returning calls. Turns out he died abruptly of brain aneurysm. Age 26

She married my dad 2 years later, had me, if not for that aneurysm I would've never existed. 30 years later and my mom still gets pretty bad anxiety if people don't return her calls/texts because of that, so I try to promptly respond whenever she contacts me

Jesus yikes. that's really young

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

endlessmonotony posted:

How, exactly, do you think health insurance works for the people without infinite cash? :thunk:

Usually there is a schedule of medications that defines copay.

For the remdivisir it looks like they will charge insurance companies $590 for it. I'm not sure what copay or price for the public will be like.

But the depression medication I've taken for the past 6 years of my life costs $300 a month. And that doesn't treat a global pandemic. So if I had to cough up the cash for the remdivisir I would. As would a lot of people.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I saw this on my twitter feed and laughed for like 5 minutes.

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1282770842598936577

*crack* *ping*

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lacrosse posted:

*crack* *ping*

bullshit. these fuckers are lying to you.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

gay picnic defence posted:

NY would be a better candidate because it sounds like it’s still simmering away even though it isn’t as widespread as it once was.

NY would be a good place to watch in the US, but it's probably waaaaay too soon unless reinfection is possible almost immediately. The bulk of New York's cases were in April, so that's barely three months.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

24, teachers salary, owns a home. So where did the money come from.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

mt. baker - snoqualmie national forest in washington is huuuuuge and allows dispersed camping pretty much anywhere. if you work for it you can get out really far away from anyone. glacier peak and the area around it is beautiful this time of year, here's a view from camp on the approach to glacier peak last year:

I was staring at this mountain earlier today trying to figure out which it was. Was looking like only 10 miles away on the map. That thing is like 100 miles from me. Realized I have no conception of mountains to work from. The south only has little baby mountains at most.

Raccooon has issued a correction as of 05:25 on Jul 14, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chinatown posted:

dual income, so likely qualified for a mortgage, doesn't actually own the home

note the part where she mentions the title is "joint tenants"

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Lacrosse posted:

*crack* *ping*

False. You can.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lacrosse posted:

*crack* *ping*

Grand Raccoon versus Census Cowboy

Coming to Disney+ this Fall

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

riseofmydick posted:

Rich people are the most spoiled whiny people on earth they can't handle being isolated forever.

yeah, I've had the fun of dealing with the people I'm talking about.

Food passes through at least 3 people to get to them. Or they have a private chef who is quarantined with them, and raw ingredients pass through the same layers (concierge-->security--->assistant).

They aren't really any more isolated now than they usually are. The social circle for a billionaire is pretty small, and you aren't going to get turned away at a border or wherever if you matter.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My guess is there's no vaccine, or if there is, reinfection + anti vaxers will prevent herd immunity, and the virus will sweep back and forth across the planet for a couple hundred years until it evolves into a weaker strain like the 4 human coronaviruses we had before this one.

What's the process like to move to New Zealand?

Maybe I can at least maximize my lifespan there.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

wait, there's no apostrophe in the first line.

it's demanding we summon the Grand Raccoon with a cant.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i ever have a brain aneurysm please tell my family i died from autoerotic asphyxiation

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I remember watching videos of folks just keeling over from aneurysms (supposedly) thanks to CV19 early on in China, Iran, and a video from Japan. I was surprised to not see more of that in the states, but there aren't many places going out of there way to discover if someone has CV19 in the states - if it looks like a run of the mill aneurysm i doubt they would run a test for an average Joe. Maybe we'll get test results for him though, it would be interesting.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Raccooon posted:

False. You can.

the grand raccoon is the USCPSCs mortal enemy because, when summoned, it uses its opposable thumbs to just go around unscrewing the caps on all the hazardous products

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Nah

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

grant built the energizer bunny used in those 90s commercials

he just keeps going, and going, and going....

:smith:

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://twitter.com/domphillips/status/1282859961006141441?s=19

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

One of my middle school classmates died from a brain aneurysm while at a movie theater. hosed with the class pretty hard as everyone was thinking it would happen to them next.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dolphin posted:

if i ever have a brain aneurysm please tell my family i died from autoerotic asphyxiation

We were going to do that anyway.

Don't worry, C-SPAM's gotcha.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
heheh i could never die of brain a splode. my brain is as solid as a hunk of lead

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Delta-Wye posted:

I remember watching videos of folks just keeling over from aneurysms (supposedly) thanks to CV19 early on in China, Iran, and a video from Japan. I was surprised to not see more of that in the states, but there aren't many places going out of there way to discover if someone has CV19 in the states - if it looks like a run of the mill aneurysm i doubt they would run a test for an average Joe. Maybe we'll get test results for him though, it would be interesting.

these videos were from lack of oxygen, not aneurysms, I thought

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

smoobles posted:

My guess is there's no vaccine, or if there is, reinfection + anti vaxers will prevent herd immunity, and the virus will sweep back and forth across the planet for a couple hundred years until it evolves into a weaker strain like the 4 human coronaviruses we had before this one.

What's the process like to move to New Zealand?

Maybe I can at least maximize my lifespan there.

good news! the virus definitely isn't surviving over a hundred years! probably not even fifty at max!

or, i mean, bad news, depending on how you want to look at it

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Chinatown posted:

I know a lot of people with houses out in the sticks because they couldn't afford rent close to their jobs.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Chinatown posted:

banks will let you buy a house with very little down though that doesn’t mean you should

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

these videos were from lack of oxygen, not aneurysms, I thought

well, that makes sense because i do remember them wearing masks....

:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It might, with the size of the human population. How would the virus eradicate itself?