Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

NRVNQSR posted:

"Coming out" refers to the process of being introduced to society. It was originally used in the context of introducing young women into society when they reached marriageable age, and was later adopted to refer to young people joining the gay community.

In the case of this strip I really don't want to speculate on what the hell the writer was thinking.

Given that they call it a debutante ball, it seems clear it's just coming out to marriageable society. Which is extremely weird given that I think they're like, 11.

Some Guy TT posted:

I feel like I need this printed out anytime someone tries to say that Joe Biden's hair sniffing obsession was a totally normal and unremarkable thing among people of his generation and that we're reading too much into it.

I went and looked it up and he was 4 when that strip ran.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Dec 8, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 17-18, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby

(Apr 15, 2016)

(Jul 8, 2020)

(Jul 9, 2020)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 1/30/43

Thirstiest looking fish I ever saw.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

EBB posted:

Thirstiest looking fish I ever saw.

Water, water everywhere, / Nor any drop to drink

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Dick

Comics Pages of '78

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (November 29, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (November 29, 1998)

Garfield Classic (November 29, 1988)

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 14, 2020

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (November 29, 1988)

Jon's changed a lot!

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Oh come on! At least keep them both to single digits to use that joke.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wasn't expecting Herb and Jamal to go this route but I'm cautiously interested.

And oh gosh, Mr. Boop sure is...

...well it certainly is whatever it is.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That Herb and Jamal comic was not something I ever expected to see in a lot of ways.

The Dinette Set has brand loyalty.

Working Daze is making it harder and harder to come up with my lead-in lines.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix puts the nose to the grindstone.

Cul De Sac isn't here to make friends.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 24, 1940)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

I might drop Nancy since it keeps being extremely illegible for no apparent reason. As compensation have some 70s handwringing over test tube babies:

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 7/19/36

My meat, Chief!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

THE CLAW

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

what's up, i had a busy day yesterday

Garfield

Heathcliff

who the f is Mort

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe won't load so I'll post it later!!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I got these in the mail today!

There are only 5000 boxes and I have this numbered certificate of authenticity to prove that they're valuable!

Here's what the packs look like in the box

First pack opened!

The whole set! (Minus a "jumbo card" that only exists in 1:360 packs)

They're honestly pretty garbage cards. Lots of stretched images to fit the ratio of the cards and they just feel kind of cheap. It's pretty obvious that they were made to cash in on the trading card craze of the 1990s. I might pick up the Blondie set someday too.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

who the f is Mort

Bazooka Joe's friend, who always wears his shirt over his face

Memorably lampooned in this Onion article

Of all the stuff in Modern Heathcliff that elicits a "Huh?" I think the obsession with Gum is at the top

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Destroy History

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

THAT IS NOT HOW BINARY NUMBERS WORK!!! :mad:

Medenmath posted:

lmao :rip:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

FrumpleOrz posted:

Jon's changed a lot!

argh

I fixed it! Thanks for the heads-up.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #83 (1990)
-Alison Bechdel

Here Bechdel is again doing what FW is usually trying to do (unsuccessfully) - soften a drama/soap strip with a joke at the end. As often for her, the focus of the strip is about 2/3 through the strip, bringing up Mo and Harriet's relationship issues. Bechdel uses the length well - after the point there's 2 panels of reaction, and then a joke at the end which comes out of the opening like a comedy version of Chekov's gun. You can see introduction-rising action-climax-falling action-conclusion, probably coming out of Bechdel's interest and training in literature. It's a good structure for a dramedy strip but I don't think you could do it in a 3-4 panel daily. There's just not enough space for the pacing (especially the Chekov's gun trick) without some brilliant combination nobody can do every day, or even every week.

I think Batiuk is more often successful in his Sunday strips which at least have the space to accommodate more complex structures. I think you need a different system to do dramedy successfully in a daily format. An obvious one is some drama strips and some comedy strips, although the webcomic Dumbing of Age does that some and it's not entirely successful either - there's a kind of "whiplash effect" from going back and forth. It could be the writer, though, because I get that from his fight sequences as well.

PS Love Clarice's look at the first panel of the last row. One face and you immediately infer Clarice and Toni have been talking about Mo and Harriet's relationship, even though we don't know what they said and never find out, helping the illusion of an ongoing world.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 14, 2020

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 12/14/41

That's right, Brenda has been viciously beaten by a crook, but what really gets her dander up is being called ugly.
This is sincerely one of the most disturbing comic strips I've seen.
I love it when Modern Tracy sort-of intersects with Old Tracy in this thread.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Alterian posted:

Does anyone have any dates on those Everett True comics?

My first one was November 16, 1918 (Santa Cruz Evening News) and the second one was November 21, 1918 (Daily Alaska Dispatch, but the Alaska mail system wasn't as fast as in the lower 48 states, so they had at least a month's lag on the "real" publishing date).

Anyway, an unfortunate chunk of my comics are broken at the moment, so here's the ones that aren't. :p:

Skippy (January 20, 1933)

Peanuts (July 17, 1973)

Les Moore vs. More Les Than He'll Ever Be

9 "Don't You Have Newborn Twins To Deal With?" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 12, 1937)

Out Our Way (October 18-20, 1934)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Adam

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Comics Kingdom is making GBS threads the bed so no Curtis for the moment.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

gently caress

getting a report of several brutal killings in the comic strip thread today

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I somehow missed that Puck was now dressed in Tony Soprano gear

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Endless Mike posted:

gently caress

Also, that's country.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

curtadams posted:

Here Bechdel is again doing what FW is usually trying to do (unsuccessfully) - soften a drama/soap strip with a joke at the end. As often for her, the focus of the strip is about 2/3 through the strip, bringing up Mo and Harriet's relationship issues. Bechdel uses the length well - after the point there's 2 panels of reaction, and then a joke at the end which comes out of the opening like a comedy version of Chekov's gun. You can see introduction-rising action-climax-falling action-conclusion, probably coming out of Bechdel's interest and training in literature. It's a good structure for a dramedy strip but I don't think you could do it in a 3-4 panel daily. There's just not enough space for the pacing (especially the Chekov's gun trick) without some brilliant combination nobody can do every day, or even every week.

I think Batiuk is more often successful in his Sunday strips which at least have the space to accommodate more complex structures. I think you need a different system to do dramedy successfully in a daily format. An obvious one is some drama strips and some comedy strips, although the webcomic Dumbing of Age does that some and it's not entirely successful either - there's a kind of "whiplash effect" from going back and forth. It could be the writer, though, because I get that from his fight sequences as well.

PS Love Clarice's look at the first panel of the last row. One face and you immediately infer Clarice and Toni have been talking about Mo and Harriet's relationship, even though we don't know what they said and never find out, helping the illusion of an ongoing world.

Bechdel just seems really good at writing conversations that seem like conversations actual people have. She does have more space but I also feel that she kind of "disguises" any obvious structural beats, you don't notice that something's a set-up or foreshadowing until it gets paid off.

I also think that's why it handles the topical stuff better than Zelda (which isn't bad overall, but I think that's usually where it's weakest.) Every time an issue comes up it feels like "this is something a group of somewhat politically minded lesbians would probably talk about" and it's not always who's right or wrong (and when there is, it's not always the same characters who are right/wrong.)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

I would unironically enjoy if these two just keep loving, getting pregnant, having 1–3 kids over and over and over. And we NEVER see the kids. Six years from now they have like, 12 children and we never see any of them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's really dumb that apparently the movie people are making every effort to make their Les and Lisa look authentic even though that doesn't matter one goddamn bit to anyone who's going to see the movie.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

this one's interesting because it's dated to '48. In 1948 Condo would have been 76 years old, this is eight years before his death. According to the internet Condo quit Everett True in 1927 due to health concerns, I wonder what his game was in 1948 and was this just a one off for some reason or did he draw more in his later years.

Everett True murdered at least one cop and a collector, this is canon.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If Batiuk was feeling real saucy he would just republish old Funky Winkerbean strips without telling anyone, and call it scenes from the film.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Nenonen posted:

Everett True murdered at least one cop and a collector, this is canon.
Every time I see this cartoon I go through and read each one and always laugh at "Gabby Barber."

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Oh please let Mary get her hair colored :pray:

The Phantom

Should I try to contact me again?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G Christmas in July

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The stragglers finally caught up!

Sally Forth

Crankshaft

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Going back to the age-old question of which of these artists has the weirdest smut collection of his own characters: Look at the angles of the arms there and the length of the dude's arm. Note the straightened elbow. Now consider the position he needs to be in for that to be anatomically-possible whatsoever. :wtc:

Alternative acceptable answer: She's lying on her side and is holding her own hand, reaching toward the camera. E: Nope, elbow is backward for that.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

You know, if this was The Phantom, I'd think this might be a reference to Donald Trump Jr. shooting an endangered mountain sheep in Mongolia last month, but I can't imagine Jam (if this is really still him) going in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

curtadams posted:

This is a really good point and it makes me think again about what Howard Cruse has said about not wanting to do Wendel anymore if he had to squash it down to a gag strip and only resuming work on it when the Advocate offered him a full two-page spread again. I believe in everything I've read about it he cited comedic timing specifically but Wendel also had quite a bit of a soap element to it, and while I don't think Cruse's characters are quite as vividly realized as Bechdel's, I think he also had a sense that he'd lose out on that element of being able to reveal characterization over time if he was restricted to four panels or half a page.