Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Paracaidas posted:

:shrug: seems like if she makes it to retirement under a Biden administration with a Dem Senate then... she was right?

She already had a chance to retire under a Democratic administration/Senate. Her hubris has potentially hosed us all, because McConnell will absolutely steal her seat, and there's no guarantee Biden will be willing and/or able to pack the court in 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Veryslightlymad posted:

Have we figured out a better answer to why McConnell was able to block Garland, other than "Obama let him?" There was never even a vote. Seems worded to me that the President has to submit a candidate for review by the Senate. I'm still pretty angry at Obama for being unwilling to go into Calvinball territory and proclaim that he submitted a candidate for review and review was declined, therefore his appointment had implicit approval and just... Ram it through. Ultimately force the court itself to decide, likely.

there is no such thing as implicit consent

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Trump doesn’t understand what Executive Orders are again.

https://twitter.com/imkahloon/status/1284174070708350979

Didn't they already try a less direct version of this and got sent packing?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Veryslightlymad posted:

Have we figured out a better answer to why McConnell was able to block Garland, other than "Obama let him?" There was never even a vote. Seems worded to me that the President has to submit a candidate for review by the Senate. I'm still pretty angry at Obama for being unwilling to go into Calvinball territory and proclaim that he submitted a candidate for review and review was declined, therefore his appointment had implicit approval and just... Ram it through. Ultimately force the court itself to decide, likely.

Well for starters that's not how it works. Parse what "advise and consent" means all you like, operationally and for better or worse the Senate, as constructed, is run by the Majority Leader who has the power to set the agenda, to call things for a vote or not, etc. Plus there's a thick volume of rules with how committees work, who runs them, who's on them and etc. And of course, any of these Senate rules can be changed if one party has a majority, or NOT changed and etc. As constituted, the president submits a name and it's either approved, voted on and confirmed, or voted to reject. All Mitch did was check the rules, make sure it didn't explicitly say a dog CANNOT play basketball and when he saw they didn't, he simply chose a third method did nothing and never sent the nominee to committee, hold any hearings or have a vote. It was always in the Maj Leader's power to do it, it's just that no one ever did. All the president can do is complain (which Obama did not do enough) and/or withdraw the name. That's it.

Great system we have, right?

But the answer is not simply "Dems bad." Where they went wrong is not doing any of the (in this case justified) performative outrage Republicans do to rally the base. They just sat and took it. IIRC though, there was no way to "ram it through" as you suggest.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 17, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

pacerhimself posted:

Didn't they already try a less direct version of this and got sent packing?

Yes

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Veryslightlymad posted:

That's pretty much the answer. Also Obama was sure Hillary would win so... kick the can down the road. Of all of Obama's failures the fact he let the SC go without even much of a whisper for months is one of his biggest failures. I mean, if he cared.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Graffiti is not a valid reason to declare that a state has lost control of it's police powers.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Biden is sunk

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1284185103036493834?s=19

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
also Obama pulled the Calvinball poo poo like 2 years prior to Garland due to the McConnell's intransigence and the end result was the NRLB vacating a ton of cases because it turns out just because the Senate isn't considering your picks that doesn't mean you get to appoint people while they're not out of session for better or worse

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

there is no such thing as implicit consent

There's no such thing as the president sending a secret military force into a city and disappearing people against the wishes of the governor, but... well, things can happen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bizarro Watt posted:

What's the realistic way of putting in term limits for the Supreme Court without a constitutional amendment?

There is none, it is literally written into the constitutions that justices serve for life.

e: Not in those specific words but there is no room to add additional constraints on service without an amendment.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: nm

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 17, 2020

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really dont think that this is even realistic because they got the citizenship question off the census, so how do they know who is and isnt here with documentation?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Can't wait to see all the voter fraud committed by boats in November :bahgawd:

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Abner Assington posted:

Can't wait to see all the voter fraud committed by boats in November :bahgawd:

Our beautiful boaters would never do voter fraud

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

This is what they have, loving boat parades. Christ. Gee, a hundred idiots in Bass Trackers love me, I got this thing in the bag! How pathetic.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

VH4Ever posted:

If you roll a set of dice in a crap game and come up seven and win, you weren't "right" to plunk your chips down. Also, if you roll the same dice and come up snake eyes and lose, you weren't "wrong" to do the same thing. You either gambled and won, or gambled and lost. The chips are on the table but the dice are still tumbling so why don't we hold off on congratulating her for her brilliant betting strategy for a few more months, OK?

EDIT

The "right" or "wrong" here was whether it was wise to gamble at all, not as a dependency on winning or losing the bet that was made.
Oh, it's an awful risk and I'd be much happier right now with a younger, healthier, more progressive justice in her seat. Took the quoted post to mean that this was enraging even IF she makes it to a Biden presidency. A decade from now, if her gamble paid off, I'm certainly happier with a justice 6 years younger than the alternative in her seat and think some nervousness in the intervening years is worth the trade.

Completely grok process orientation vs outcome orientation. I'm just heavily towards the latter half of "shouldn't have done it but it worked out well" if it. You know. Works out.

sexpig by night posted:

you know what you're right, I was and that's a big ol my bad.

She still refused to step down when it was smart so that's the main issue regardless, but yea you're right I had her and DWS mixed up in that, it seems RBG just said a normal 'nah gently caress that'.
All good! Hadn't heard it before and obviously would change my opinion on RBG quite a bit.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
How in the world do you mix up Ruth Bader Ginsberg with Debbie Wasserman-Shultz?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As a free citizen who refuses to create joinder with the federal government, I am a sovereign boat and I'm voting for Biden

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Guze posted:

And the beautiful human submarines are strongly pro-Biden

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

also Obama pulled the Calvinball poo poo like 2 years prior to Garland due to the McConnell's intransigence and the end result was the NRLB vacating a ton of cases because it turns out just because the Senate isn't considering your picks that doesn't mean you get to appoint people while they're not out of session for better or worse

Yeah but for some reason people love to forget that.

Garland was literally picked because it was a "ok maybe they won't block this" hail-mary, there is absolutely no realistic scenario where any pick of Obama's gets through in 2016 because Mitch McConnell is a fuckhead.

And it's not like the general public cared that much either about this breach of tradition or :decorum: or whatever buzzword you want to use for it:

quote:

Forty-three percent of respondents said that the Senate should vote this year on Obama's preferred replacement for Scalia, while 42 percent said they should wait until a new president is sworn in to fill the vacancy. And, how's this for polarization parity? Eighty-one percent of Democrats believe the Senate vote should happen while Obama is in office, while 81 percent of Republicans think that the vote can (and should) wait until next year under a new president. Among independents, those pesky on-the-fence voters, sentiment is split as well: 43 percent prefer a vote this year, while 42 percent favor a confirmation vote next year.

(source)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

VH4Ever posted:

Well for starters that's not how it works. Parse what "advise and consent" means all you like, operationally and for better or worse the Senate, as constructed, is run by the Majority Leader who has the power to set the agenda, to call things for a vote or not, etc. Plus there's a thick volume of rules with how committees work, who runs them, who's on them and etc. And of course, any of these Senate rules can be changed if one party has a majority, or NOT changed and etc. As constituted, the president submits a name and it's either approved, voted on and confirmed, or voted to reject. All Mitch did was check the rules, make sure it didn't explicitly say a dog CANNOT play basketball and when he saw they didn't, he simply did nothing and never sent the nominee to committee, hold any hearings or have a vote. It was always in the Maj Leader's power to do it, it's just that no one ever did. All the president can do is complain (which Obama did not do enough) and/or withdraw the name. That's it.

Great system we have, right?

But the answer is not simply "Dems bad." Where they went wrong is not doing any of the (in this case justified) performative outrage Republicans do to rally the base. They just sat and took it.

You also have to remember that all of this power being in the hands of a Senate Leader is a modern invention as well. Before most of the power was in the hands of committee heads and almost all legislature came out of the various sub-committees with most issues already ironed out without the interference of leadership, etc. The Leader was generally a ceremonial title that was given to who had the most seniority. A big reason for the multitude of issues within the Senate has to do with this change and the break down of procedure.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

AhhYes posted:

Why? Mcconnell wouldn't have let Obama seat another justice regardless.

E: Never mind.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Djarum posted:

You also have to remember that all of this power being in the hands of a Senate Leader is a modern invention as well. Before most of the power was in the hands of committee heads and almost all legislature came out of the various sub-committees with most issues already ironed out without the interference of leadership, etc. The Leader was generally a ceremonial title that was given to who had the most seniority. A big reason for the multitude of issues within the Senate has to do with this change and the break down of procedure.

Well also the Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee also went "lolno we're not holding a vote", probably at McConnell's behest, but still.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 17, 2020

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

knox_harrington posted:

They're not profiting from it. Even if they were, what you are proposing is still dumb because their current and future work would be compromised.

man i’m just saying that the only reason these intelligence agencies care at all is because someone who stands to make money tells them to care. that’s all i’m “proposing”

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

yeah he can't do it legally and the census bureau hates him both in general and on this specific issue, sp

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Djarum posted:

Yeah, agreed. The Senate has its own "too much power at the top" problem.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Guze posted:

Come on, "boater fraud" is right there.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/danejohnstonIA/status/1272959609997852672?s=19

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Hewlett posted:

Come on, "boater fraud" is right there.

No that's when you lie about owning a boat

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wow a whole 70 people (who will all get COVID-19)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Prepare to die and be outcast as a democrat shill traitor when you and your family are choking on your own fluids from COVID.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dozens of us, dozens!

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Just for additional context, according to a quick search, the population of Winnebago County, Iowa is 10,866 (2010 census).

(edit: for some reason, this tweet trying to stir up excitement about such a hilariously small number put the "cooking failed" music from Breath of the Wild into my head)

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Crackbone posted:

She already had a chance to retire under a Democratic administration/Senate. Her hubris has potentially hosed us all, because McConnell will absolutely steal her seat, and there's no guarantee Biden will be willing and/or able to pack the court in 2021.

I gotta agree with this. The tea leaves on where the GOP was headed were clear when we had the ability to do something about it.

I don't care what good she's responsible for because if she goes and we do not have the ability to replace her every last progressive thing that she's done and everyone else has done in a got damned century is being ripped away and given to capital and nativist, racist nutjobs.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"Huge" if true

It just gets more sad everyday that they don't realize most of the country hates him and it's growing

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I kind of like the idea of her hovering in the liminal space between life and death for a few months right before the election. Is there any precedent for a justice who is alive but incapacitated?

Put her in the golden throne

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Veryslightlymad posted:

Have we figured out a better answer to why McConnell was able to block Garland, other than "Obama let him?" There was never even a vote. Seems worded to me that the President has to submit a candidate for review by the Senate.

The majority leader controls the agenda and can refuse to schedule a vote. We can argue all we want that the constitution implied that a vote was required, but it wasn't explicitly stated. At any time a majority of Senators can remove the leader and replace him with someone who will schedule a vote, but that never happens.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

1glitch0 posted:

That's pretty much the answer.

No, it's very much not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I gotta agree with this. The tea leaves on where the GOP was headed were clear when we had the ability to do something about it.

I don't care what good she's responsible for because if she goes and we do not have the ability to replace her every last progressive thing that she's done and everyone else has done in a got damned century is being ripped away and given to capital and nativist, racist nutjobs.

Its really not quite that doom and gloom. A wildly conservative Supreme Court couldn't do jack-poo poo to stop FDR, in the end.

It may be true that a very conservative Supreme Court would have to do a lot of damage to generate the popular opposition necessary to overcome it. But its just one branch of government, and is entirely powerless in the face of united opposition from the executive and the legislative branches.

Obviously Ginsburg being replaced by a Justice of similar outlook would be better than not. And the difficulties posed by a 6-3 court shouldn't be trivialized. But to say "every last progressive thing that she's done and everyone else has done in a got damned century is being ripped away and given to capital and nativist, racist nutjobs" is hyperbole.

First, I don't think shes going to die in the next 6 months. She has access to the best healthcare in the world. Most people her age have all kinds of undetected cancerous growths upon autopsy. It probably was caught very early because of her advanced medical care. Shes likely been on surveillance since her first bout with cancer years ago. 6 months is not a long time unless we are talking terminal stage IV. That she is even being given chemo means she is healthy enough for aggressive treatment. If she was on deaths door, no competent and moral doctor would prescribe chemotherapy. Its time for pallative care at that point.

In the end, even if she dies, that is not the end of the country. I somehow doubt that there will be 50 Senators willing to give Trump another pick, given the election and strong likelihood of a Dem Senate, who can use the nuclear option to just pack the court. Some deal will be cut with Biden & Schumer by Romney, et al that preserves the center-right status quo, because that is what is good for business.

Grayly Squirrel fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 17, 2020