Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Licarn posted:

are judith's politics the result of childhood trauma

e:

How much do i have to donate for someone on the Greens bench to stand up and ask Judith is she still wakes up hearing the screaming of the pigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The greens have someone matching donations at the moment so if you have some spare cash and feel inclined, now is a great time to donate to the them

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Licarn posted:

are judith's politics the result of childhood trauma

e:

:(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i hope someone internally gets a kick out of my donation being from a prezzy card.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Crane Fist posted:

How much do i have to donate for someone on the Greens bench to stand up and ask Judith is she still wakes up hearing the screaming of the pigs

Pretty sure she's in contact with the police association, yeah

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I gave them some money the day judith was made leader but since it's being matched :shepspends:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
My niece, who's here on a working holiday from Japan, and her coworkers at a kiwifruit orchard south of Auckland are going on strike to protest the lovely pay they're getting. They are paid per square metre worked and the first few days are unpaid while they "train" and until they are judged good enough to "actually work". Apparently only people who have worked there for 4-5 years are quick enough at the task to make minimum wage as far as an hourly rate goes, and many have said they're not making enough to stay in NZ.

Is there an organisation I can put them in touch with that can help out? I am new here myself so don't know if there is anyone who looks after that sort of thing.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Pretty sure she's in contact with the police association, yeah

lol noice

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Weatherman posted:

My niece, who's here on a working holiday from Japan, and her coworkers at a kiwifruit orchard south of Auckland are going on strike to protest the lovely pay they're getting. They are paid per square metre worked and the first few days are unpaid while they "train" and until they are judged good enough to "actually work". Apparently only people who have worked there for 4-5 years are quick enough at the task to make minimum wage as far as an hourly rate goes, and many have said they're not making enough to stay in NZ.

Is there an organisation I can put them in touch with that can help out? I am new here myself so don't know if there is anyone who looks after that sort of thing.

they could call employment nz – the labour inspectorate regulates minimum employment standards, and they have an interest in migrant exploitation (though your niece's case sounds like it's on the less serious end)
https://www.employment.govt.nz/resolving-problems/types-of-problems/migrant-exploitation/

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Weatherman posted:

There's a reason they can't find kiwi workers to do this poo poo.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There's a reason they can't find kiwi workers to do this poo poo.

Yeah, I told them about how even after lockdown when everyone had lost their jobs, no one was going up there to do this.

We've told her that she might want to look for other work (she's a qualified child care worker and I'm pretty sure there's some demand for that) but she wants to have a bit more of a "kiwi experience". Maybe if I phrase it like "you're having a foreign worker's experience because kiwis don't do that work" she'll be more inclined to get out.

exmarx posted:

they could call employment nz – the labour inspectorate regulates minimum employment standards, and they have an interest in migrant exploitation (though your niece's case sounds like it's on the less serious end)
https://www.employment.govt.nz/resolving-problems/types-of-problems/migrant-exploitation/

Cheers, I'll give it a try even so.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/meladoodle/status/1284020232537772037?s=21

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lmao

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I have very a diverse taste in music I like rock, pop rock, indie rock, classic rock, Brit rock and metal.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
It is two (2) months until the election

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
the heck is The Standard because Judith seems to think it's the left-wing whale oil

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Licarn posted:

the heck is The Standard because Judith seems to think it's the left-wing whale oil

They're a left wing* political blog and mostly just a holdover from that loving weird time in NZ politics circa 2011 when blogs became influential because politicians realised they could release poo poo or leak things via their politically aligned bloggers and control the spin, since the NZ media were lazy shits who would more or less repost what the bloggers wrote.

Turns out having a bunch of sometimes anonymous randos acting like journalists but refusing to conform to any kind of journalistic standards is really bad for political discourse. Thank gently caress Nicky Hager mostly put an end to it.

*left wing in the style of middle class white dudes whose politics haven't changed since they learned about marxism at university 25 years ago

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 18, 2020

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Apart from completely missing the point about why ethnicity matters....

Is her source for this 'antipathy' Fawlty Towers and Euro '96? Even two World Wars didn't really dent the English perception of Germans as the 'right' kind of Europeans (i.e. Not French). Even the die-hard Euroskeptics make an exception in their bile-spewing for Germany, I've seen opinion columns along the lines of 'we wouldn't have an issue with the EU if all the countries were like Germany'.

Irish-German antipathy is even more off the mark, they don't even have that whole world war thing between them.

Ripper Swarm fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 18, 2020

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Winston just threatened to punch David Seymour

https://twitter.com/winstonpeters/status/1284966514546765824

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

"I'd like to fight you but lucky for you I don't like fighting"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

if Seymour goes any further down the alt right hole then punching him will be fully permissible under the "bash the fash" rule. it might even become legal, I'd have to check with my lawyers

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The only reason age-care facilities rely on migrant labour is because they are cheap. If they would pay a competitive wage then they wouldn’t be employing so many recent migrants. The retirement home near here is always short staffed and trying to import qualified nurses etc. However as soon as their residency is finalised and they have full NZ practicing credentials they leave for a hospital etc.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Can't believe the invisible hand of the market is stealing employees like that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If 2020 has Peters beating the snot out of Seymour it will all have been worth it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Those tweets are embarrassing, they should both be retiring from politics.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Xik posted:

Those tweets are embarrassing, they should both be retiring from politics.

With any luck NZF's 1.5% of the party vote the recent polls have them at will hold for the election, and Peters will resign in shame as his party fades into irrelevance

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Polling at 1.5% hasn’t kept Act! out of parliament.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Isn't that only because National gift Seymour an electorate seat every election? Pretty sure everyone hates NZF and nobody is gonna give them a free seat

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah pretty much. But it is a bit rich for Seymour to give Winston shot over low polling when his party is basically the same and only kept alive by the patronage of National.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Rimmer is dumb enough to believe he wins Epsom on merit

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Rimmer is dumb enough to believe he wins Epsom on merit

Let's see him win that seat in a free market of ideas.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
National MPs that supported euthanasia and abortion

Amy Adams
Paula Bennett
Chris Bishop
Judith Collins
Matt Doocey
Andrew Falloon
Brett Hudson
Nikki Kaye
Barbara Kuriger
Mark Mitchell
Scott Simpson
Nicky Wagner
Nicola Willis
Jian Yang

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Euthanasia is shaping up to be non-partisan, so I'm not sure that's the best way to measure it, but yes, the party is racing towards the right.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/421602/national-mp-andrew-falloon-to-retire-at-election
Dun dun dun. Anotheronebitesthedust

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I wonder how bad the behavior was. I know I have been pissed as fuxk after a loss and acted like a huge dick. The article specifically states the act was not criminal just 'unbecoming of an MP' so I hope it wasn't a sex pest thing and there are no victims.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How is he only 37?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly pretty gross how many Nat mps use that as an out considering the party spent like a decade down playing mental health and gutting any related social services.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

exmachina posted:

I wonder how bad the behavior was. I know I have been pissed as fuxk after a loss and acted like a huge dick. The article specifically states the act was not criminal just 'unbecoming of an MP' so I hope it wasn't a sex pest thing and there are no victims.

Aaron Gilmore was ended by behaviour unbecoming of an MP. he was drunk and obnoxious to serving staff. I think they cut him off as he had too much to drink and pulled out the Do you know who I am?line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Winnie has been ordered to pay $320k in court costs over the legal battles related to his privacy breach. The dude was obviously having a bad day.