Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
As someone that doesn't shop at a Costco, let me know so i can stick it in the FAQ; does it overlap the manufacturer warranty, or do they start when the manufacturer's expires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

As someone that doesn't shop at a Costco, let me know so i can stick it in the FAQ; does it overlap the manufacturer warranty, or do they start when the manufacturer's expires?

I think it’s four or five years of square trade that starts after the two year OEM warranty.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What could be causing some movies to have the darkest blacks turn kind of a translucent blue? I don't know if "blue" is the best description but I can't think of a better one. It's super hard to look at. It only seems to occur on certain things. Like, I am watching something on Netflix via PS4 and it makes it almost unwatchable, but then it looks fine if I access it directly through Roku TV. Some other things on Netflix look fine though. I have hosed with just about every setting but I'm not sure what is going on tbh. Seems like it might be related to dolby vision.

Edit: it is the exact same problem this guy is having and he has some pretty decent pics of the issue. It looks terrible

https://www.reddit.com/r/4kTV/comments/efjwin/tcl_r615_crushed_blue_blacks_in_dolby_vision_issue/fc5t5y9/

Unfortunately this sub forum has some sort of awful bot censoring going on so almost everyone trying to give advice has had their posts remove because apparently it's taboo to talk about settings in the reddit 4K forum lol.

Fwiw I am using dark HDR setting and it still shows up.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 13, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

veni veni veni posted:

What could be causing some movies to have the darkest blacks turn kind of a translucent blue? I don't know if "blue" is the best description but I can't think of a better one. It's super hard to look at. It only seems to occur on certain things. Like, I am watching something on Netflix via PS4 and it makes it almost unwatchable, but then it looks fine if I access it directly through Roku TV. Some other things on Netflix look fine though. I have hosed with just about every setting but I'm not sure what is going on tbh. Seems like it might be related to dolby vision.

Edit: it is the exact same problem this guy is having and he has some pretty decent pics of the issue. It looks terrible

https://www.reddit.com/r/4kTV/comments/efjwin/tcl_r615_crushed_blue_blacks_in_dolby_vision_issue/fc5t5y9/

Unfortunately this sub forum has some sort of awful bot censoring going on so almost everyone trying to give advice has had their posts remove because apparently it's taboo to talk about settings in the reddit 4K forum lol.

Fwiw I am using dark HDR setting and it still shows up.

Weird. And that guy posting it says he got the same thing with his older Vizio and tried to replace it twice. So this definitely makes me think it's a source issue. I'm gonna go test it on mine in a bit.

edit: Ok so I went to that exact spot that guy mentions (Black Mirror S4E3 - 20:50). I tested on my Xbox and the Built in Roku apps (this is on a 55R625 - the 2019 model). I used both Bright and Dark HDR modes.

Performance was very similar on both. On Dark HDR it was beautiful blacks, on Bright it was slightly bluer. But I mean *slightly* - I had to look for it. Performance on the Xbox was maybe marginally worse than the built in. Again though we're talking fractions here - nothing really noticeable to anybody that isn't explicitly sitting 2 inches from the TV looking for it.

So essentially it all works perfectly on my TV but I don't have a PS4 to test from. My guess is that it's processing the HDR incorrectly? Or Black Mirror has a specific profile that the PS4 just fucks up? Not sure. But it works fine on the Xbox One X and 55R625

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 14, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mister Facetious posted:

You get 1 year CostCo warranty after the manufacturer's warranty period. If you use the Costco Visa you get an additional year out of it. Then Squaretrade kicks in.

5-7 years is a pretty good deal.

Just note that Squaretrade doesn't cover Burn In so it's kind of lovely for the OLEDs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you have a TV that supports Dolby Vision, then you should really be using a streaming source that does Dolby Vision if the content supports Dolby Vision.

PS4 would be doing HDR10 and there's clearly something odd about the tone mapping going on. It may be something that the PS4 is doing to manipulate the HDR metadata that the TV is interpreting wrong (maybe something to do with the HDR brightness setting the PS4 has.)

Netflix produces content in Dolby Vision first, then they derive HDR10 and SDR from the Dolby Vision package. That, combined with the fact that Dolby Vision calibrates tone mapping on a per TV basis means that you should always seek out DV whenever possible.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

FilthyImp posted:

Just note that Squaretrade doesn't cover Burn In so it's kind of lovely for the OLEDs.

This.

If the SquareTrade plan is thrown in as a free bonus for purchasing the TV, that's one thing, but I wouldn't shell out money for any protection plan that doesn't explicitly cover burn-in. Best Buy has plans that cover burn-in up to five years, but they go for like $1000 above the cost of the TV. When all was said and done, my current CX cost more than double what I spent on my first car (which was used, but still).

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
How easy is it to get burn-in?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you have a newer model and you keep your OLED brightness under 50 most of the time it's virtually impossible to get burn in through regular use. It can certainly happen though if you're not careful and especially if you run your set in a high temperature setting.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Anybody have any experience with TVs like The Frame or the LG GX? I know they’re hilariously overpriced but was wondering if they at least perform as intended. Are all hookups just run through the drywall?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

American McGay posted:

If you have a newer model and you keep your OLED brightness under 50 most of the time it's virtually impossible to get burn in through regular use. It can certainly happen though if you're not careful and especially if you run your set in a high temperature setting.

Likely buying an OLED in the next few month tack on question:

I assume there's even less risk if you're not watching news stations with static banners a lot, and would rarely if ever be playing games on one?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I play a ton of games on my b7 with no issues. Lots of static images, etc. They mean don't have CNN on for 20 hrs a day for years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

morestuff posted:

Anybody have any experience with TVs like The Frame or the LG GX? I know they’re hilariously overpriced but was wondering if they at least perform as intended. Are all hookups just run through the drywall?

I mean, the LG GX isn't any different from any other LG OLED tv other than having a breakout box. They are all naturally that thin so it should perform exactly the same.

The premium the GX is charged for is kind funny because it's probably cheaper for them to produce than the normal models.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

morestuff posted:

I just do not get what The Frame offers other than literally a frame and an art mode.

I guess when I first saw it I thought it had some special mode that made the art appear way more realistic or something. But nope... in practice it's literally just a nice screensaver and some better mounting options maybe.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

BonoMan posted:

I just do not get what The Frame offers other than literally a frame and an art mode.

I guess when I first saw it I thought it had some special mode that made the art appear way more realistic or something. But nope... in practice it's literally just a nice screensaver and some better mounting options maybe.

Sounds like it is the rich person tax.

"Oh yes the LG G series is just what you need.
And it has 500 additional cromulions that you don't get on the C series. Well worth the extra money."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

morestuff posted:

I was watching a review on The Frame, and the One Connect Box is very specifically not in-wall rated wiring. You need a sheath.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 14, 2020

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Does anyone have an opinion about the Asurion TV warranty that Amazon offers? Or have any plan they could recommend? I'm also looking at getting an OLED in the next couple months.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Alright, so I'm looking around for a new, fancy TV, and I read the OP, but I just have a few questions.

https://www.tclusa.com/products/home-theater/4-series/tcl-65-class-4-series-4k-uhd-led-roku-smart-tv

Looking at that, it looks like a solid, low cost, 4k TV. But what's the difference between a regular smart TV and Roku TV? Does it just mean that it uses Roku interface to access my streaming apps and stuff?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Exactly that, yes.

Some earlier Roku TVs skipped on a tuner tho that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was super stoked to find out that private listening was a thing via the Roku app, but it barely works for me. Has anyone else had problems with it? It'll make the video cut out constantly and when it does work it sounds like a robot half the time. It's flat out useless. I get a solid 190mbps on average, so I don't know why streaming the audio would cause it to totally crap out.

Which sucks because I like to watch with headphones and this seems like the only option for me since none of my usb wireless headphones work with the 6 series. I look online and it seems not normal to be having all of these problems with it. Idgi.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alternately does anyone have a rec for some affordable headphones that can direct connect to a 6 series? Can I just use any Bluetooth set?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used to use it back when I had an iPhone 6 and it would work pretty well as long as I didn’t do anything else on my phone. A neat feature, as the stick I had wasn’t one with it built into the remote.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

FilthyImp posted:

Exactly that, yes.

Some earlier Roku TVs skipped on a tuner tho that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Thank you. Guess I'll start saving my pennies and eventually buy me a new TV.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Alternately does anyone have a rec for some affordable headphones that can direct connect to a 6 series? Can I just use any Bluetooth set?

The TV won't support Bluetooth headphones without one of these

https://www.roku.com/products/audio/roku-tv-wireless-speakers-bundle

But this also works

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5586

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

I was super stoked to find out that private listening was a thing via the Roku app, but it barely works for me. Has anyone else had problems with it? It'll make the video cut out constantly and when it does work it sounds like a robot half the time. It's flat out useless. I get a solid 190mbps on average, so I don't know why streaming the audio would cause it to totally crap out.

Which sucks because I like to watch with headphones and this seems like the only option for me since none of my usb wireless headphones work with the 6 series. I look online and it seems not normal to be having all of these problems with it. Idgi.

I'm going to wager a guess that the SoC they use in the TVs is likely underpowered compared to the standalone devices.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leavemywife posted:

Thank you. Guess I'll start saving my pennies and eventually buy me a new TV.
To be a little more detailed, the navigation are all Roku Tiles. So there's a square at the top for Live TV (OTA) and input square for your hdmi, etc, and the apps follow.

The one dealbreaker for you might be the fact that it uses a Roku Remote so if you want numbers on your poo poo you're SoL.

For my money, I prefer the Roku interface.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

veni veni veni posted:

Easiest universal solution is to buy a Bluetooth transmitter and connect it to your probably vestigial TV optical output. It's cheap, easy and just works.

In more detail I put AptX transmitters on our living room and den TVs for my husband who is not at all technically inclined, bought a AptX transmitter for each, paired them both with AptX Bluetooth earbuds that stay in each room, all he has to do is grab the headphones, turn them on and mute the soundbar, everything works perfectly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My 65” B9 is great and rules but we’re having an issue where every so often a part of a frame will have a bunch of jagged poo poo like it glitched our. Like a mouth that opens and shuts during a lot of motion.

I don’t know what to change to make that .. not happen. I used the rtings calibration and also made it a bit brighter since it seemed pretty dark still.

Also, maybe my old TV was really great but there’s not much difference in image quality on this bad boi compared to my old 1080p Sony. Still excellent though.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but figured I'd try here.

Does anyone know of a universal remote that would be able to support the following setup?

I have a my TV wall mounted and all my components are routed through the wall to the opposite side. I need a universal remote that has IR for the TV (it's an LG C8) and can also control my Apple TV and Bose receiver behind the wall.

I've heard talk of the Logitech remotes being able to do this, but I'm unclear as to whether the remote itself has IR.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The harmony hub remote should be able to do this with two different options.

You either have the hub on the TV side and connect an IR extender though the same access you have setup for the rest of the connections, or you put the hub with the components and rout an IR extender though the wall opening for the TV (likely the best option).

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

unpurposed posted:

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but figured I'd try here.

Does anyone know of a universal remote that would be able to support the following setup?

I have a my TV wall mounted and all my components are routed through the wall to the opposite side. I need a universal remote that has IR for the TV (it's an LG C8) and can also control my Apple TV and Bose receiver behind the wall.

I've heard talk of the Logitech remotes being able to do this, but I'm unclear as to whether the remote itself has IR.

I have a similar setup.

My tv is wall mounted and all my components, receiver, roku box, and ps4 are tucked away in a closest that is near my living room but in a bedroom.

The harmony hub works perfectly with this setup. The hub itself sits in with the components in the closest.

Basically the remote sends the signal to the hub and the hub blasts it out from there.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Thanks yall! The Harmony Hub is what I was looking at but I didn't know about the IR extender.

I think the likely setup I would do would be the hub with the components and an IR extender through the wall to the TV. Would it be possible to have the IR extender be hidden behind the TV and still work? I suppose I don't know where the IR port on the C9 is. I want to avoid having a visible cable.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The harmony system can also control some stuff through IP, it might not be necessary to use IR.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

unpurposed posted:

Thanks yall! The Harmony Hub is what I was looking at but I didn't know about the IR extender.

I think the likely setup I would do would be the hub with the components and an IR extender through the wall to the TV. Would it be possible to have the IR extender be hidden behind the TV and still work? I suppose I don't know where the IR port on the C9 is. I want to avoid having a visible cable.

IR port on the C9 is center bottom where the power led is. IR blasters are fairly forgiving and I’m pretty confident you’ll be able to find somewhere unobtrusive in the room to place one. Although directly on the back of the tv might be the one place that won’t work.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Figure this is as good a place to ask as anywhere.

I'm sitting here looking at my blurays of the Matrix trilogy and Indiana Jones collection, trying to decide on which to begin watching. I didn't realize its been 2 loving years since the Matrix was released in 4K. Its time I finally got something that can actually play those discs. Whats a good player, preferably other than a console? Seems kinda foolish as at this moment its the only thing available that I know of that I'd actually want to buy/watch and its fuckin 109 bucks CDN. I'm gradually letting go of my archaic ways aka physical media but especially where I live the connection isn't the best and while I'm not someone who watches movies often, when I do, I absolutely demand it go uninterrupted with not so much as a split second of reduced quality due to buffering, let alone full on pauses.

Sony BDSP6700 looks like a good option. edit: oops, looks like it only upscales and doesn't play true 4K discs?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 20, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Get the Panasonic UB820. 4k, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision support, and if you need it to, it can compress HDR signals to reduce clipping if the television can't process the required luminance.

Admittedly the price is a bit up there at $300 canuck bux tho.

Comedy option: Xbox One X.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 20, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My buddy (devout PS fanboy) picked up the One S for a 4K player but I just dont want a console

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That's fair. Controllers are fiddly, and I don't think consoles have offered a remote control option since the PS3 anyways.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can buy a remote for the xbone, using a controller sucks as you have to wake them up and go into menus just to pause a drat movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

And the UI isn't optimised for it anyway.