Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rhyno posted:

There's a scene in the Fringe finale between Walter and Peter and it's so drat wonderful, I rewatched it the other day and I still get a little teary eyed.

Like the last season isn't great as a season, but boy howdy does it still bring some thunder in it's interpersonal moments. It's why I can't really back the people who said it should have ended at 4. That last Peter/Walter moment is gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A Youtube show called Stars in the House had a little conference call reunion of the Crazy Ex Girlfriend cast, and since Rachel Bloom is a huge Frasier fan they had Peri Gilpin and David Hyde Pierce also pop in. She was crying a little, it was adorable.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Probably the most unintentionally funny example of that is when Jim accidentally causes Pam's parents to get divorced because Pam's dad realizes he will never be able to love her mom as much as Jim loves Pam. What an absolutely ridiculous thing to do.

That was the dumbest poo poo. My god

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Medullah posted:

They really should have just ended it after Season 4.

I disagree, season 5 was very good, just not quite as good as the other.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Oasx posted:

I disagree, season 5 was very good, just not quite as good as the other.

It has moments for sure, but man I really don't like the direction they went with the Observers. I originally HATED the future episode of season 4 and they decided to make it a full season

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Fringe was all over the loving place in every way possible. Ultimately it nailed the emotional beats while the specifics of the plots got swapped in and out as needed. I can see loving or hating any particular season, especially since season 5 was such a break, but it also had some great moments.

https://youtu.be/cGcHVXyLxcE

I’m mid-season 2 of Person of Interest, but I may need to rewatch Fringe.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What they did with the Observers was certainly disappointing and a lot less cool than everything they implied about them and how downright weird they were in previous seasons. However once you accept that disappointment and roll with it there's still plenty of great stuff in season five.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC Ken Jennings did some guest hosting earlier this year and he’s been the main guy rumored to take over when Alex retires or passes. I’d be okay with that. The guy’s a little bland but he seems like an okay dude.

My personal pick would be LeVar Burton because he’s been doing education-related stuff for decades (not that a trivia game show is education-related per se, but you know what I mean), he’s got a great announcer type voice, and he’s a funny and charming dude.

I don't think Ken has ever guest-hosted. In any event, Trebek is on record that he wants a woman of color to take over for him.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

This kind of destroys me as my mom was just diagnosed with the same thing last week and I've been frantically looking for examples of people who beat this loving thing for the sake of my anxiety and sanity. She doesn't want to undergo chemotherapy as a friend recently passed away, seeming to lose the will to go on after just three sessions but after talking and thinking it over last weekend she's decided to give it a try. Reading what Alex is saying there just makes me feel like there's no hope if the 'treatment' is so bad he'd just rather not.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

God, at least three episodes of Preacher has now been about Cass escaping his cell and then being caught again. Meanwhile it's perfectly okay to show a disembodied anus pooping out a glass vial but they're only allowed to say "gently caress" once per season.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alhazred posted:

Meanwhile it's perfectly okay to show a disembodied anus pooping out a glass vial

Wait what? Did I miss something important in the last season

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sentinel Red posted:

This kind of destroys me as my mom was just diagnosed with the same thing last week and I've been frantically looking for examples of people who beat this loving thing for the sake of my anxiety and sanity. She doesn't want to undergo chemotherapy as a friend recently passed away, seeming to lose the will to go on after just three sessions but after talking and thinking it over last weekend she's decided to give it a try. Reading what Alex is saying there just makes me feel like there's no hope if the 'treatment' is so bad he'd just rather not.

I'm sorry for your mom. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but pancreatic cancer is an almost-certain death sentence. Depending on the type, there are treatment options (aggressive chemo, a Whipple procedure if appropriate) but the five-year survival rate is under ten percent. :smith:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait what? Did I miss something important in the last season

In the third season the allfather hides the glass vial with a part of Jesse's soul up his rear end. He then blows up and his anus then poops out the glass vial

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah I just finished Cursed. It's really really good. It's dramatic and clever, and has a lot of really, really good casting.

It strikes me as one of those completely and totally unironic series, it that it has a sense of humour, but it never laughs at itself. The villains are incredibly smug and punchable, and the heroes are (with one, deliberate, exception) really cool and likeable people. I also love that it goes full on fantasy ham with its setting and world. It's vibrant and fantastic and there's a lot of really, really cool poo poo.

It's also so, so obviously calculated so that every moment has maximum impact, and a lot of it is riffing on the most popular elements of Game Of Thrones. You've got a subplot full of schemers living in a castle, huge shocking deaths, a fantasy uprising led by a heroic young woman, at least two different kids who are out for personal vengeance, viking raiders led by a total Stannis, grimy realpolitik abutting with fantasy ideals...

But I think it's clearly a lot more than that -- and I don't just mean because its actually willing to push the high fantasy elements, frequently and often. It never loses track of its emotional arcs, it's fast paced as FUUUUUCK, it carves out legitimately interesting spaces for the entirety of its massive, massive cast (the show doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word "minor character"), and the overall tragic structure of the narrative lends the entire thing a lot of emotional weight. You know the other shoe has to drop at some point, and that eventually the traditional Arthurian mythology is going to take over the plot, which means everything is that much more compelling, you know?

So yeah. Watch Cursed. It's really really good.

I wish I was as into it as you. I think it gets pretty decent eventually, but the like first 3 or so episodes are pretty loving bad, in my opinion. It looks incredibly cheap, and the world building feels equally as cheap (the history of this show is absolute loving nonsense), the character relationships are dull and clichéd as gently caress. Like I said, I do think it gets decent, though it never quite gets beyond feeling like someone's LARP campaign. The main actress is also blindingly terrible and I have no idea how she landed a role in anything that wasn't amateur theatre, everyone else walks in circles around her, even the kids.

But it's fun and trashy enough for a binge session.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Fringechat got me to rewatch some of the emotional doozies it mentioned... and then YouTube dropped the scene where broyles trips balls and I forgot how funny that show could be.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Fringechat got me to rewatch some of the emotional doozies it mentioned... and then YouTube dropped the scene where broyles trips balls and I forgot how funny that show could be.

Yeah I didn't really enjoy the animated style of that episode but that was hilarious.

It's also jarring rewatching the pilot because Broyles is such an enormous dick to Olivia for no reason. Glad that was dropped instantly.

It's also funny rewatching and seeing just how many times Walter pees or talks about peeing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw the pilot again because of the discussion and it's kind of annoying how obviously Michael Giacchino just reused his music from Lost.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw the pilot again because of the discussion and it's kind of annoying how obviously Michael Giacchino just reused his music from Lost.

Giacchino is weird in that he always either knocks it out of the park or completely phones it in. There’s no middle ground and the only outlier is Rogue One, where he only had ~2 months to compose and record the whole thing.

The Fringe theme still slaps though. I haven’t watched the show since it ended but I can still recall the theme tune like it was yesterday.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Giacchino is weird in that he always either knocks it out of the park or completely phones it in. There’s no middle ground and the only outlier is Rogue One, where he only had ~2 months to compose and record the whole thing.

The Fringe theme still slaps though. I haven’t watched the show since it ended but I can still recall the theme tune like it was yesterday.

I always remember that honey-nut cheerios ad that ripped it off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm rewatching Community, and it's really noticeable how it goes from pretty good to some of the best TV comedy about halfway through the second season.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Medullah posted:

Yeah I didn't really enjoy the animated style of that episode but that was hilarious.

It's also jarring rewatching the pilot because Broyles is such an enormous dick to Olivia for no reason. Glad that was dropped instantly.

It's also funny rewatching and seeing just how many times Walter pees or talks about peeing.

Broyles is a dick because she prosecuted his friend, the bald guy working for ZTF who blows up later in the first season, during her time as a military prosecutor. It takes him half a season to really trust her and that’s when the friend shows up to start messing with Olivia.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looten Plunder posted:

Have you finished it yet? The Zoom episode was awesome and hit me in the feels as well.

I normally can't watch any of these webcam content/episodes coming out right now but Mythic Quest set the bar really high. Pleasantly surprised at how good it is. Despite the whole episode looking like a zoom meeting the pacing of the jokes and editing still feels like the show and also the Poppy actress is really good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm rewatching Community, and it's really noticeable how it goes from pretty good to some of the best TV comedy about halfway through the second season.

I’ve always felt Community is the rare comedy where season 1 was the best one.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I just watched the pilot of Breaking Bad. The show is so hyped that I was worried I'd be poisoned to it, but I enjoyed it.

That said, I've seen all of BoJack Horseman and it's so loving weird hearing Todd's voice come out of this dude's face. I feel like it's influencing my read on the character, ha.

My goal is to get through this, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, The Wire, and The Sopranos in the next two years; those seem like the big shows of the last 20 years that I missed during their run, mostly due to lack of HBO.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Add Barry if you’re on an HBO kick.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Add Barry if you’re on an HBO kick.

And Deadwood.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rome yo

Carnivale too

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I understand that Disney doesn’t release Disney plus in a bunch of international markets because other streaming services probably still have rights for a lot of their content and they’re waiting for that to expire, but you’d think they would fast track it since it’s just money they’re leaving on the table with this pandemic

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Yes

Shageletic posted:

Carnivale too

gently caress yes

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tyler Whitney posted:

Broyles is a dick because she prosecuted his friend, the bald guy working for ZTF who blows up later in the first season, during her time as a military prosecutor. It takes him half a season to really trust her and that’s when the friend shows up to start messing with Olivia.

Yeah but he was REALLY bad in the pilot. It was antagonistic rather than low key being a dick

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The pilot was mostly really good aside from some growing pains like Broyles, but the fact that JJ Abrams thought he could do the opening titles himself again like with Lost was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aki5f0mztXs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I kind of like the retro element with the misaligned projector, as the whole show was kind of a stealth 80s nostalgia piece.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does anyone know what happened with those vinyl albums the show made and sold to used record stores? I’ve been looking for one for what feel like a decade now. I know they’re probably just cheap garbage anyway. Maybe they lied when they said there were hundreds of them and the two or three that turned up were all there ever were?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
More shows need bullets that make corpses float.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I kind of like the retro element with the misaligned projector, as the whole show was kind of a stealth 80s nostalgia piece.

Me too, and I liked that the tech in the placards changed when it was a flashback episode or alternate universe episode.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Between Warrior Nun and Cursed, I’m digging this Netflix move toward female led series.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Hopefully they make a good one one day.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ariza posted:

Hopefully they make a good one one day.
I just watched the pilot of Cursed and yeah, this script is pretty embarrassing. Above average production value though, like all Netflix originals.

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

Josh Lyman posted:

I just watched the pilot of Cursed and yeah, this script is pretty embarrassing. Above average production value though, like all Netflix originals.

The production values are what turned me off the most. It was like watching a VR/simulation of a fantasy world within an episode of Black Mirror. I had to shut it off after 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Numberwang!!! posted:

The production values are what turned me off the most. It was like watching a VR/simulation of a fantasy world within an episode of Black Mirror. I had to shut it off after 10 minutes.

If you thought it was bad that early you should skip to the last ~2 minutes of the episode to see some absolutely terrible cgi animals and an incredibly cheesy transition to credits.

I'm actually still watching but suffice to say I don't think production values or the acting of the lead are strengths.