Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

fknlo posted:

That thing is going to go for way, way too much money. I'm guessing you'll almost be able to get an M3 or M4 of the same year for what it sells for.

This is 100% totally accurate. Someone is going to be the dumbest person in the room spending way too much for ego and street cred and at the end of the party he will not be driving home an M3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Residency Evil posted:

Looks like $35k invested in the DJIA in 1988 would be worth...about $460k.
I always think these kind of statements are weird because they can only be made because we have the positive look-back and general knowledge available these days. Could easily have gone the other direction.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I always think these kind of statements are weird because they can only be made because we have the positive look-back and general knowledge available these days. Could easily have gone the other direction.
if "what is a more reliable investment" is the criterion i think i'll take the index fund over the old bmw

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BlackMK4 posted:

My read on them is that the best use of a car is to drive it, and keeping it in the garage for 3 decades is bad because it's both a bad car and a bad investment

Also from a :goonsay: investment standpoint, there are no 32 year periods in US investment history where you lost money so it couldn't have gone the other direction

in conclusion, drive cars and buy index funds

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
To be clear, I wasn't advocating cars as an investment vehicle

and for

quote:

Also from a :goonsay: investment standpoint, there are no 32 year periods in US investment history where you lost money so it couldn't have gone the other direction
Sure, but, again, we have a positive lookback to say that now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BlackMK4 posted:

it could not have, assuming constant appreciation of the M3. The worst rate of return for the DJIA over 30 years still would get you $375K.

edit: i also guess that equities market performance and "collectible performance car" prices are pretty highly correlated so if the market somehow took a massive unprecedented poo poo I don't think the E30 would appreciate in the same way.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If we ever have a 32 year recession I just hope to find enough Guzzoline to get my barbwire-wrapped M2 through the Trumplands

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If we ever have a 32 year recession I just hope to find enough Guzzoline to get my barbwire-wrapped M2 through the Trumplands

if we have a 30 year recession i'm eating a 9mm in year 10 at the absolute latest

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

this is a good thread title, no i dont know for which thread

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if we have a 30 year recession i'm eating a 9mm in year 10 at the absolute latest

Sucker, I'll be eating a 10mm in year 9 :smuggo:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hmm, in this context I made the wrong statement. :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlackMK4 posted:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My read on them is that the best use of a car is to drive it, and keeping it in the garage for 3 decades is bad because it's both a bad car and a bad investment

Yup, that's my point. Cars are dumb investments.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Agreed, I spoke out of context, my bad.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
On the opposite end of that F31 on BaT, there's an E93 M3 that's probably going to end up going for like $15-16k in a few hours. That's almost impulse purchase territory on something like that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

One owner 2003 100k mile Imola Red E39 closed on BAT for $49,000. What the gently caress. I should sell my car.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

is yours imola? (also post pics)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just when we thought we had seen the peak of wagon madness on BaT this thing shows up

:jiggled:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-bmw-328d-xdrive-sports-wagon-individual-package/

Reserve not met at 39K.

I think people realized they couldshould just buy an M3 at that point.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Reserve not met at 39K.

Uh imagine wringing it all the way out to 4200 rpm in every gear and getting that sweet sweet 180hp slam into the back of your seat

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Reserve not met at 39K.

if it was brown...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BraveUlysses posted:

if it was brown...

I had to check. For some reason I thought this one: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2018-bmw-330i-xdrive-individual-m-sport-wagon/

went for over $50k. Close enough though, I guess.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Red is cool

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Reserve not met at 39K.

lol at the seller's "I've already had 13 emails about this car you guys missed out" comment.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Remember these spy shots from a few months ago?

Apparently it's the G42, the next gen 2 series coming in MY 2022. It's going to be fully assembled en Mexico, and will be RWD. Rumor has it that we'll get a 220, 230, either an M240 or M245, and starting in MY2023, an M2

A prototype has been tooling around in Mexico lately

I don't hate it (Yet)!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Better than the M4.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
LOL that the next gen 2 series is going to be larger than the E9x 3 series?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That doesn't look too bad. But it's probably going to be loving huge because people bought a 2 series because it was cheaper but wasn't big enough for them and they complained to BMW. So the 2 series will be bigger than an E92 and cost $60k. RWD but only comes with an automatic.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It does look quite like an E92 from the side. That front is fuckin ugly though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I do NOT like the contrast chrome/black on the front

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That's a lot of front overhang. Gross.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

That's a lot of front overhang. Gross.
isn't that because of pedestrian safety regulations? maybe they overlearned from the e9x carmageddon frontend

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I can live with that 2 series compared to the ugly mug of the 4.

And what is up with the oil drain plug location on the n54. This verticalish orientation doesn't leave me enough room to fit any of my extensions or breaker bars and the PO/lube jockey really hulked out on the drain plug and I can't budge it yet. Next up is cutting a custom length of pipe I can use as an extender I guess...

Edit: also it seems that the oil leak is somewhere above the drain plug flap given the amount of gunk. Going to pick up a new drain plug bolt to cross that off the list, then work upstream.

PabloBOOM fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 19, 2020

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

isn't that because of pedestrian safety regulations? maybe they overlearned from the e9x carmageddon frontend

This is the second mention of the E9X murder-front. Can you share more info? Super interested.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

thealphabetsez posted:

This is the second mention of the E9X murder-front. Can you share more info? Super interested.
https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/8642/euroncap_bmw_3_series_2005_5stars.pdf

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
drat. 4 out of 36 is impressive.

Finally got the oil drain plug out with a extension I cut off an old handlebar. That stuff was blacker than the blackest black times infinity; glad it's done. The old brass gasket was in p rough shape so I'm hoping a new one may help. I'm crossing my fingers but won't be very surprised when more oil ends up leaking.

In any case, I put in roughly 6.1qt of the specd 6.9, then lowered it to let it check the level before I added more. The onboard sensors warmed up and say I'm filled to max and got to go.... I mean I know it's better to be a touch under than over, but the car is convinced its up to snuff. Um. Ok I guess?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Said it before and I'll say it again, no focus group ever said "I like the car, I just wish it had a little less legroom"

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Reserve not met at 39K.

Do you guys not get the 330D over there?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Diesels are dead in this land.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Do you guys not get the 330D over there?

We did get the F30 328/330 diesels, but BMW dropped them again with the G20.

Diesel is as dead as a door knob for everything except heavy duty trucks in the USA. It'll start happening in Europe, too, they just have a lot farther to fall there.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Guinness posted:

We did get the F30 328/330 diesels, but BMW dropped them again with the G20.

Diesel is as dead as a door knob for everything except heavy duty trucks in the USA. It'll start happening in Europe, too, they just have a lot farther to fall there.

diesels are pretty awesome though? both my diesel cars in the states are crazy reliable and get great mileage, my diesel van in the UK is dead reliable and gets 26mpg, and my Hilux in South Africa is the most reliable thing I've ever owned. I feel like the US is behind the curve, not in front of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They emit a ton of poo poo and if they don't they have very complicated poo poo that breaks and then causes them to spew a bunch of poo poo in the air. Going to Europe it smells and all the road signs are covered in soot.