Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Mordja posted:

The wording at the end of that announcement is a little specific. Did they have a falling out with their publisher?

CreativeForge is now owned by PlayWay and the former Phantom Doctrine publisher(Good Shepherd) owns a competing studio(Artificer) run by some of the ex-CreativeForge devs that left after Phantom Doctrine sold poorly.

Edit: Kind of curious if there is going to be any Phantom Doctrine left when most of the original team is gone and an unnamed outside team is doing the development on this one.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_p8XHCd5IU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

space marine todd posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations! I asked about point and click games mostly because my wife's internet speeds aren't that great where she is at so FPS games/games with lots of motion wouldn't really work.

Just piling on here at this point :) -- but I think that A Normal Lost Phone, Observer, The Room games, or Return of the Obra Dinn all might be good. They make it really easy to work together on a game even if you aren't both actually connected, and since they are mostly set up as mysteries you can sort of talk through what you want to do/figure out the mysteries.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Fatty posted:

A Canticle For Liebowitz. Just Abbey management/development and religious politicking in the post apocalypse.

Wouldn't this be better done like Dawn of War 2? I thought Valkyria wasn't exactly about expendable cannon fodder.

Eh thematically it kinda is. It's just hard for anyone to die for real during normal gameplay. In an RTS format I can imagine each squad being lead by one unique, named character who has special skills and gets "wounded" for x amount of time/the rest of the match if the squad gets wiped out. Or two unique guys, whose special skills or whatever can be combined to customize your gameplay a bit. And then SEGA can put out more unique characters as DLC and bleed our wallets dry like they did with COH2. OR unique guys in swimsuits, to uphold VC fanservice tradition. Or Selvaria, because of course she'd be playable.

Get SEGA on the phone.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Maybe stupid since it’s based on a game, but I’d like a survival game set in the Quantum Break world, where time has failed and you have to go out in a time frozen world to gather supplies

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Fanatical bundle is pretty good.

5 bucks
- Rain World
- The Technomancer
- Guns, Gore, and Cannoli 2
- Kingdom Under Fire 2
- Do Not Feed the Monkeys
- Shadwen
- Syndrome
- Beholder 2
- Redout
- Textorcist

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/reaper-bundle-4

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Myth (the rts) but it's the Black Company

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Carrion? I heard good things but also that it's pretty short- I'm guessing it's around 12 month tier, e.g. wait until it's on sale for 50%-ish off?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Carrion? I heard good things but also that it's pretty short- I'm guessing it's around 12 month tier, e.g. wait until it's on sale for 50%-ish off?

it's on xbox game pass if you want to sign up for that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Omi no Kami posted:

Its really cool, but it needed a map. Also, it is a bit short (4-5 hours), but I think that is a positive for not overstaying its welcome.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmkay cool, thanks guys! I'll probably save the live/full price and wishlist it for a while. ^^

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

strategery posted:

5 bucks
- Rain World
- The Technomancer
- Kingdom Under Fire 2
- Shadwen
- Syndrome
- Beholder 2
- Redout
- Textorcist

Heck, I have too many games but I'm interested in some of those. :ohdear:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Mistborn. You could do some incredible stuff with the powers in an open world/third person action game.

Hell, any Sanderson book would be great because he makes unique world systems.

Imagine the aesthetics you could pull off with a Warbreaker game where using breaths affects colors, voice, etc. while breathing life into inanimate objects.

The Reckoners would basically be a game of the new Amazon show, The Boys. A group of misfits that try to take out corrupt superheroes.

Legion is about a guy with dozens of split personalities that he compartmentalizes and takes on missions basically as imaginary friends. He can use them as resources or even meld with them to a degree to get things done and solve cases. You could devise a lot of interesting gameplay ideas from that.

And of course Mistborn as you mentioned. The Wax and Wayne sequels expanded on the powers quite a bit.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

tildes posted:

Just piling on here at this point :) -- but I think that A Normal Lost Phone, Observer, The Room games, or Return of the Obra Dinn all might be good. They make it really easy to work together on a game even if you aren't both actually connected, and since they are mostly set up as mysteries you can sort of talk through what you want to do/figure out the mysteries.

Thanks for all the recs, everyone! It's super helpful.

As for a game made from any property, I'd go with an action RPG set in China Mieville's Bas Lag universe. The books already feel like it.

I'd also love to see something based on The Culture, as someone pointed out earlier. Although most of the things that happen at the Mind level are basically impossible to represent to us normal humans. I'm wondering how Amazon will be able to adapt it to television.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

XCOM-like based on Discworld, specifically the Watch books.

The twist is that you spend way more time in the meta layer than you do in combat.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

We also got Hotline Miami, that was pretty good

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I had an absolutely magical moment playing the Forest co-op last night where we were walking down the beach talking about Shadow of the Colossus and I was relating the story of how I traversed that empty open world to go to a beach and it took so long to get there and there was nothing but a beach. Exploration for the sake of it, not to find the marker and such. And as we're talking I spot a cannibal up ahead run out towards the water and go "one... two three, four, OH no back up BACK UP"

We turned around instantly and ran for our lives as there were like eight cannibals and I have never had the sense of fun? adrenaline as I did in that moment where I was having fun but simultaneously terrified because if that pack caught us we would've probably died.

Love The Forest.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

Wheel of Time braid tugging simulator skirt smoothing folding arms under breasts simulator RPG.

You missed one

Make it more epic in scope:
Perrin gets like a normal action adventure.
Mat also gets an adventure, but his is turn based. Also there are Wario Ware mini games.
Rand's gameplay is basically Crusader Kings.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MR. TRANSPORT PLEASE YOU GOTTA GET OUR BOYS IN THE FIELD SOME WORMS!! 875 TONS OF WORMS!! THEY GO WILD FOR THEM CREEPY CRITTERS!!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

sebmojo posted:

If you had a game company and wanted to do something based on an existing property (book, tv, film etc), any genre, what's an underused property? Money no object.

Freespace 3

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sebmojo posted:

If you had a game company and wanted to do something based on an existing property (book, tv, film etc), any genre, what's an underused property? Money no object.

KotOR 3. And no, that MMO doesn't count.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I would have said Monster Rancher but they rereleased that in Japan recently.

So uh Shadow Hearts. More judgement ring stuff that seems like a combat system with untapped potential.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sebmojo posted:

Battlefield Earth :swoon:

My serious ones are Julian Mays pliocene saga and something using one of cj cherryhs books, don't care which
As much as I loved the pliocene books growing up they, uh, have some ideas in them that did not stand the test of time in any way.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

space marine todd posted:

As for a game made from any property, I'd go with an action RPG set in China Mieville's Bas Lag universe. The books already feel like it.

I'd say Disco Elysium actually captured the same feel of things I got from Perdido Street Station, everything felt run down, melancholy, and the voice of the city/shivers had those same bits you get when books cut away for a slice of life moment. And I do think something slower than an ARPG would do it more justice.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

No Wave posted:

Chrono Trigger

Imagine a new AAA Chrono Trigger with Way of the Samurai like branch pathing but 30 hours long.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

This, a thousand times over.

Leal posted:

And this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leal posted:

I'd like KOTOR3 if it let me be something other than a nerd with a glowstick. I wanna shoot gun and be a dumb space cowboy.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

strategery posted:

5 bucks
- Rain World
- The Technomancer
- Kingdom Under Fire 2
- Shadwen
- Syndrome
- Beholder 2
- Redout
- Textorcist

Do Not Feed the Monkeys is really good. Also Textorcist, even though I suck at it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'd like KOTOR3 if it let me be something other than a nerd with a glowstick. I wanna shoot gun and be a dumb space cowboy.

There is a very good LP of KotOR2 where they play through the entire game as a gunslinger (they also show off the multitude of cut content:)

https://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

2 really tried making other classes viable, namely putting in passive powers that let you deflect enemy blaster fire with your mind and reduce penalties for melee enemies attacking you

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leal posted:

There is a very good LP of KotOR2 where they play through the entire game as a gunslinger (they also show off the multitude of cut content:)

https://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

2 really tried making other classes viable, namely putting in passive powers that let you deflect enemy blaster fire with your mind and reduce penalties for melee enemies attacking you

Yeah 2 was better for it gameplay wise at least but it roleplaying-wise it didn't really deliver on the "yahoo with a blaster" thing.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Pigbuster posted:

MR. TRANSPORT PLEASE YOU GOTTA GET OUR BOYS IN THE FIELD SOME WORMS!! 875 TONS OF WORMS!! THEY GO WILD FOR THEM CREEPY CRITTERS!!

The sequel to Battlefield we never knew we wanted. I am HIGHLY TEMPTED to buy this new version, but I also know that I have a few modules from the base Logistical I have never even gotten around to launching. I guess it's time to clean it up.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Are you the kind of goon that likes giving away games? Well STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!

https://mobile.twitter.com/humblesupport/status/1286061511702720515

Humble Bundle got itself into a mess because apparently it's cracking down on random gifting? Reports of people getting games taken off their libraries, others of Humble accounts getting suspended (lose access to all your unredeemed stuff/downloadable games? Not sure about what that entails.)

So far it's vague and people don't know what exactly causes the bans, if they exist, but might be a good idea not gifting anything right now. Especially through humble gift links.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Now, now, I'd buy Platinum and get them to make an Avatar: The Legend of Korra or Last Airbender game, I am sure nothing could possibly go wrong with such an amazing match.

Platinum's Legend of Korra wasn't bad. :colbert:

Okay, the quality of the animations did not match Platinum's main games and it had limited enemy variety, but it was still decent.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Wheel of Time braid tugging simulator skirt smoothing simulator RPG.

How would you implement the spanking? Maybe as a secondary skill?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Det_no posted:

Are you the kind of goon that likes giving away games? Well STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!

Humble Bundle got itself into a mess because apparently it's cracking down on random gifting? Reports of people getting games taken off their libraries, others of Humble accounts getting suspended (lose access to all your unredeemed stuff/downloadable games? Not sure about what that entails.)

So far it's vague and people don't know what exactly causes the bans, if they exist, but might be a good idea not gifting anything right now. Especially through humble gift links.

How could they possibly know each and every one of you aren’t my dear friends?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghostlight posted:

As much as I loved the pliocene books growing up they, uh, have some ideas in them that did not stand the test of time in any way.

Prehistoric psychic space elf rape camps might raise some eyebrows yes

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I want a game set in the universe of A Knight's Tale, where it's a sort of management thing, like Domina almost but you only have one knight, and you can upgrade armour and horses and manage your little entourage and whatnot, and go around fighting in tournaments, and gradually work up to getting like, knightly quests and such. And during the jousts you can select moves a bit like the sword-fighting in Pirates!. Actually, I want Pirates!, but a knight instead of a pirate.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Det_no posted:

How the gently caress could they possibly know or keep track of keys being given away to random others?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Ambaire posted:

How the gently caress could they possibly know or keep track of keys being given away to random others?

They can't, so this is either a PR/salesperson saying things they don't understand, or an empty statement to pacify some angry business partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They are hitting people that use gift links. They will get the gifter's account, the giftee's account and in most cases where it was linked from.
They claim that they are taking action against original accounts in cases where the gift recipient went on to resell the gift link, which is an awful policy.

Dropping just Steam keys should still be safe.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 25, 2020