Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

astral posted:

I'd probably sideload more books with a cable if my e-reader had a less-fragile port. It's not a big deal to send stuff over using other methods, though.

I have a launch Paperwhite with micro USB and have sideloaded books hundreds of times instead of using WiFi. The port is still A-OK. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
What about a kindle with Qi?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Micro USB is the worst technology thing since floppy disks. It's terrible.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I fell out of the E-reader game for a few years, what are the Kobos like these days?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"An indie app developer has just created the Kobo Cloud software that can connect up  your e-reader to Dropbox, Google Drive, NextCloud and pCloud."

My Kobo uses microUSB and charges/transfers plenty quick, though I understand the desire for not needing another cable while traveling.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, neat! Just discovered there's a new feature on the updated kindle (at least the oasis). You can permanently delete something! This is awesome, cause sometimes I accidentally email 2 copies of a book over, and now I can clean that crap up. It's one at a time, which kinda sucks, but hey, at least it's an option now!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's pretty wild to me that so many people are so upset about how their eReader charges that they're buying "because of" or "in spite of" USB 3.

It's a plug. It does not affect your reading experience.

I have a Sennheiser headset that explicitly chose micro-USB over USB 3 because they felt that the positive plug grip was a benefit. Y'all are worried about dumb poo poo.

I'd buy a 7" Kindle Voyage if it charged via a 220V plug. It'd be worth it for the reading experience.

FWIW I totally agree and I've even said it on this thread before. It makes no sense to me. And as for the "but micro USB is so brittle, it's made of glass, it eventually explodes and kills you" response, my wife is still using my old ~10 year old Kindle Keyboard and has zero issues with the charging port. I don't think I've ever had a device's micro-USB charging port break on me. Cables have worn out, yeah, but I've had USB-C cables wear out too.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh, neat! Just discovered there's a new feature on the updated kindle (at least the oasis). You can permanently delete something! This is awesome, cause sometimes I accidentally email 2 copies of a book over, and now I can clean that crap up. It's one at a time, which kinda sucks, but hey, at least it's an option now!

I'm kinda happy they don't make it easy to permanently delete things in mass.

If you really have a bunch of things to delete you can do it from the Manage Your Content page on Amazon.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

I hate micro-USB and would be glad of the change to USB-C but I certainly wouldn’t replace my Oasis over it

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We lost the Voyage I used as a daily reader. Has anyone switched from a Voyage to a current model Paperwhite? I’ve only used the original Paperwhite — is the newer flush screen comparable in quality? Or just buy a used Voyage? (Oasis is a bit too pricey and has other negatives.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I switched from a Voyage to a Paperwhite and like it a lot.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
A brief tale of Kobo woe that nobody will care about :

I had a Clara HD and it was great, but I managed to break the screen because I'm a klutz apparently. Looked into buying another one and saw the Libra had been released and is pretty much all I could want or need - bigger screen, buttons, and not Amazon! (and was also on sale)

So I bought one and all was well until I discovered that turning the page in portrait mode made a buzzing noise that was very noticeable to me when reading at night when it's quiet, which is when I do all my reading. Tried to live with it but after 2 days was like nah, returned and bought another from a different place in the hope it was just that device that was weird. Reader, it was not just that device that was weird.

Thought hey gently caress it, I'm a baller, I'll buy a Forma despite thinking it was a bit too large & expensive. It didn't buzz but does have the distracting backlight shadow-line-thing on the wedge side that pissed me off as well.

So returned that and now I'm back on a Clara, and I love it and it is my friend. Tl;dr I was personally victimised by Kobo's quality control. Especially annoying because the Libra was perfect except for that goddamn buzz :(

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Paranoid question, where can I get an older version of Kindle for Mac that's definitely real and won't steal my Amazon login details?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I just got a libra and taking a gamble on the build quality

Everything seems to point that it's good but I might be rolling the dice some

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hmm. Should there be any ghosting at all on my libra?

Never used a kindle since the original and I don't recall this kind of thing happening.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hmm. Should there be any ghosting at all on my libra?

Never used a kindle since the original and I don't recall this kind of thing happening.

Shouldn’t happen. Could be source material.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I switched from a Voyage to a Paperwhite and like it a lot.

Thanks! I ended up getting an Amazon Warehouse “very good condition” Voyage (which is flawless) for $100, which was cheaper than a Paperwhite so I didn’t end up comparing them. Unfortunately the case market for Voyages is extremely small now and there are about three sellers left.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Y'all have brain damage, says me, a poster responding to every single person how wrong their buying criteria are

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Kobo Nia is up for preorder for 100 bucks if you want a no nonsense reader with no ads.

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-nia

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

All Kindles discounted in the UK.

£45 off the Oasis. Argh, I really don't need one yet........

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I have one, and love iiiiittttttt.

You need oooonnnneeee

One of uuuuuuusssssss.....

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

You need oooonnnneeee

Yup, turns out I absolutely definitely did.......

AstraZenmaster
Jun 28, 2004
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Are there any opinions or experiences itt regarding the Remarkable (2) beyond the minimal discussion a few pages back?

I'm sorely tempted, it seems to fit several of my use cases as an academic (reading / writing / annotating PDF articles, sketching diagrams, organising and syncing notes, ...) very well, but the cost is pretty steep.

Any insights appreciated!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Junkenstein posted:

Oh loving hell, I don't need one either and I've been using the price to talk myself out of buying one.

edit: What's the official case like, out of interest? I feel like I'd want to take it off to read it because the flappy bit would be annoying, is it? I mean I have a case with a flappy cover on my Paperwhite but for some reason the form factor of the Oasis seems so nice that I feel like an extra flap on the front would spoil it a bit.

edit2: Oh it probably doesn't matter. They only seem to do a bundle deal with the leather cover and I would want the fabric one I think.

chippy fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 23, 2020

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

chippy posted:

edit: What's the official case like, out of interest? I feel like I'd want to take it off to read it because the flappy bit would be annoying, is it? I mean I have a case with a flappy cover on my Paperwhite but for some reason the form factor of the Oasis seems so nice that I feel like an extra flap on the front would spoil it a bit.

Speaking for the new Paperwhite’s “official” case, the magnet in the cover that holds the cover shut also sticks it to the back when open so it doesn’t flap around.

I imagine the basic kindle’s official cover is the same.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Junkenstein posted:

Reminder: Argos usually price match and you can burn nectar points to drop the price further.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I caved.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Welp they're on sale in Germany too. But just before I placed the order I realized the paperwhite is 2 years old, is there an ETA on the new one? At the very least, usb-c would be great to have if they finally replace the port.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Oh, no! It rises! :cthulhu:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jeez is this somehow controversial with the e-reader crew? I just want to standardize so I don't have to carry 5 different cables when travelling :)

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 26, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Jeez is this somehow controversial with the e-reader crew? I just want to standardize so I don't have to carry 5 different cables when travelling :)

Eh, a few pages ago someone had a huge meltdown at the idea that other people might take into account "what connector the e-reader uses to charge" when making purchasing decisions

I don't think it's controversial apart from that

Personally, I would prefer USB-C, but I still have enough legacy USB-microA stuff that the idea of "standardizing on one cable type" is a distant dream for me regardless, and the fact that the micro ports are stupidly fragile is less of a concern for me now that I have koreader and can sideload books over SSH.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

ToxicFrog posted:

Eh, a few pages ago someone had a huge meltdown at the idea that other people might take into account "what connector the e-reader uses to charge" when making purchasing decisions

No they didn't, they just couldn't really understand why it would be a deal-breaker.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

chippy posted:

No they didn't, they just couldn't really understand why it would be a deal-breaker.

I also reply really aggressively every time I cannot understand something and virtually shout at people that they're crazy. Definitely not having a meltdown, nope.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

lordfrikk posted:

I also reply really aggressively every time I cannot understand something and virtually shout at people that they're crazy. Definitely not having a meltdown, nope.

I'm glad we're on the same page.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Wonder if you could put a solar panel into the underside of an Oasis?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ended up ordering the Paperwhite and just got it today. Locally it's like 50% more expensive so I could probably get rid of it I had to. I used my mom's 2nd(?) gen one a bit but still forgot how small it is actually. It does feel snappier even viewing PDFs and the resolution is nice too. Hopefully it'll help me stop procrastinating on my reading.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Did something change recently with how library books (overdrive) expire on Kindles? I've got an older Paperwhite and my last few library books have remained available after the loan ended. I'm always connected to WiFi and the loan ended last week but I can still read the book. It's a welcome change but I'm puzzled on why it's happening.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That’s happened to me before (I have a Kindle Touch 2011), but manually syncing makes the book vanish. Assuming you want that :v:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I've also seen the same thing over the last 6 months or so, sometimes they disappear real quick sometimes it takes a week or two, it's not been very consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
So now that the first commercially available color e-reader is out, how long until we get one big enough for comics? one with two screens would be loving killer but I dunno if that'll ever be a thing