Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

I can't believe they published the steps towards an outline of a change in roadmap. It's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is he seriously quoting Star Trek

lmao not only is he quoting Star Trek but the hollow performance of a huckster/fake Kahless genetically engineered by Klingon clergy that had a serious case of Dunning Kruger due to a complete lack of self awareness that he was a fraud. That triumphantly delivered snippet of speech is what got Gowron to call him out once he couldn't recite any of the details of the story he was so smug about when asked the most basic questions about it. It's... it's perfect :allears:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Youtube channel with 1.41M subscribers (btw, it's about 3.5x more than SC's channel) discusses SC: Star Citizen Fans Have Finally Had Enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dieOPDKcNM

"there is no such thing as bad publicity" some backer probably

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

quote:

Delivering the updates to the standards we want takes time, and despite those saying they would be fine with a rough cut of talking heads, we get endless complaints when that’s what we deliver, example being that the Monthly Reports or linked examples above are quickly dismissed or forgotten.

This is my favourite passive aggressive part of the roadmap roadmap outline. Poor CIG they just can't win.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

"'We’ve certainly communicated the delays and the reasons for it, and have even had Brian Chambers relay the news initially, with our CMs repeating that message when the topic cropped up multiple times. We’ve had to do that a couple of times over the past weeks''

its just amazing that every one from die hard fans, to gaming media outlets just did not get the message ... despite your multiple attempts ? i suppose it's really their fault for not interpreting the smoke signals that are spewed out from CIG offices?

world salad ....

hes the 4 point plan to fix this but its going to be weeks between steps. .............. A few weeks between steps !!!

after working on it for two months , we need a few more months to come up with a plan to show you what we have been working on..........

first blame the customers for not getting the message, then announce a roadmap to a roadmap ..... the gall of CIG is truly incredible.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

DigitalPenny posted:

first blame the customers for not getting the message, then announce a roadmap to a roadmap ..... the gall of CIG is truly incredible.

Desperate times and all that. They"ve been negligent (probably because they"ve got nothing worth showing) and incompetent, and they know it, but cannot admit it, so they go on offensive with a rotten whiff of "we tried to tell you but you didn"t listen".

Or they are so bad at this "open development" malarkey that maybe they ought to ask for money to get that sorted out.

Edit: have they posted links or other proof about telling backers about the delays 'only recently'?

Sandepande fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 29, 2020

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

DigitalPenny posted:

"'We’ve certainly communicated the delays and the reasons for it, and have even had Brian Chambers relay the news initially, with our CMs repeating that message when the topic cropped up multiple times. We’ve had to do that a couple of times over the past weeks''

its just amazing that every one from die hard fans, to gaming media outlets just did not get the message ... despite your multiple attempts ? i suppose it's really their fault for not interpreting the smoke signals that are spewed out from CIG offices?
Maybe it got stuck in copper pipelines.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
CI -G should stick with what they know best. Selling pictures of spaceships to gullible backers.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The beta is supposed to be almost complete, what even will be on the roadmap?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:( posted:

Spent€60 back in 2013. Was suspose to play it with mate's when it got released, it hasn't released and more than 1 of mates have died in the mean time. I suspose it will finally be released when i too am on my death bed in about 20+ years

:mad: posted:

This poo poo is the lowest form of news, you are pulling this info out of your own arses. We know this game is a long haul, it certainly has something to show for all this money and time being alpha 3.9 to 3.10. 2000 upvotes out of 200 million players is still a vast minority. Stop hating on the game simply because you cant understand people having fun in games you dont like. Stop pretending like there hasnt been a demo in 4 years, weve had recent demos, just that the most recent one was delayed.

:mad: posted:

A lot of salty boys and lies from IG just like the last time they reported on SC. We have updates weekly from CIG, the game you get today is worth the $45 you pay for it.

:eng101: posted:

you can literally play the game right now and there's hundreds of hours of content and features that most modern games don't even have yet. Squadron 42 is going into beta at the end of this year.

:downs: posted:

Star Citizen may need 12 years or more and its fine. Compare with another games... and some of them didn't innovate radicaly anithing as SC does.
People... eight years is nothing to the development. In SC we see that in real time, that's a problem that other games don't have.

But, anyway, criticsm is good if it is useful for their hard work ;)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
have we called it Bar Citizen yet

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
:lol: at the non-update. I guess sq404 is just in too embarrassing state

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Reminder that allegedly some people out there are paying for "all that open development" and non-roadmap updates by way of their subscriptions for the video content. To date that totals some $20 million (plus taxes) from subscription fees paid on top of any "crowdfunding".

If recent events are any reminder, check on any recurring subscriptions you might have set up years ago and forgotten about or ceased to care about how that money might be getting used these days.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbd-KIzGIdE

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
I feel like this new "game could take 20 years to come out and that's fine" angle is just reality sinking in. Stupid idiot FUDsters have been saying that the game will never be finished for years, and when believers finally realize the same thing they just double down.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did they seriously just announce they’re working on a roadmap for their roadmap

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Taintrunner posted:

did they seriously just announce they’re working on a roadmap for their roadmap

Chris watched Inception the other day, okay?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So they didn't release the video because it would have mostly been just devs sitting around talking? Isn't that what most of their videos are nowadays?

Well, I'm off to enjoy the 100's of hours of awesome Star Citizen gameplay!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: A friendly advice: As a fellow developer I can tell you stating in the internet you are a software developer means nothing. Please refrain from doing that. People will actually appreciate it more, because in the internet anyone can say they are devs or even the PotUS.

Now on to the meat of your post (apologies if you are vegan). Alright, so personally I never expected it in 2022. The closest to realistic estimate for release (not Beta, mind you) is 2024-2025+, exactly because of the backlog of work that needs to be done (UI, NPC crew behavior, etc).

On the other hand, exactly because we do not know the state of SQ42 and based on the fact that the main focus of the development is there, the other fact that SQ42 features a more linear gameplay with specific areas and activities (supposedly less than the ones in PU), it might (I cant stress the 'might' enough) be the case that they actually are on schedule and thus might make a 2023-24 release. Thats a very optimistic estimation, but I like to always view something from both sides (optimistic/pessimistic) and to slowly work on the odds.

My gut feeling says the former, but my heart wants the later.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Now on to the meat of your post (apologies if you are vegan)

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
IMPORTANT UPDATE FROM r/starcitizen

Due to the global pandemic we have decided to put wheels on and motorize our goal posts so that they can be remotely controlled and moved at will from the safety of our homes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The parts about "didn't reach our level of quality" gave me a good chuckle. If there is one thing about this tornado in a trailer park mess is the level of quality CIG cranks out isn't exactly stellar.

Also liked the part "Making videos is hard". God that dipshit can go gently caress himself. But at least I can thank him for the refund.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

"We're still developing roadmaps, and our marketing video was garbage. Game? What game?"

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Thuorn posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/squadron-42-roadmap-update

quote:

key personnel were actually out sick for over a week

The classic CIG nonupdate update. lol

"A water pipe broke, and our 500 person international company ceased functioning. Therefore"

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I loved that guys post about "Put Chris out in a 20 second video to assure us that you haven't spent hundreds of millions of dollars to make a single system. Since that is obviously the case and SQ42 definitely takes place in multiple systems"

This particular guy is within inches of having his world view shattered when it becomes obvious that they ABSOLUTELY have spent 300 million dollars and actually don't even have a single complete system yet.
Let's recall that in the "MMO" part of the game they currently have borrowed a moon from a different system because it doesn't exist yet.

I don't remember when that chart of systems completed was last updated but I'm fairly sure it's still going to be something like 2/3rds completion of the very first system.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

quote:

This poo poo is the lowest form of news, you are pulling this info out of your own arses. We know this game is a long haul, it certainly has something to show for all this money and time being alpha 3.9 to 3.10. 2000 upvotes out of 200 million players is still a vast minority. Stop hating on the game simply because you cant understand people having fun in games you dont like. Stop pretending like there hasnt been a demo in 4 years, weve had recent demos, just that the most recent one was delayed.

Wait, do they really think there are 200 million people who backed/played this game? I've introduced this fraud to multiple acquaintances who are definitely in the nerd community and none of them have ever heard of it. I doubt 200 million people are even aware it exists.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

corn on the cop posted:

Now on to the meat of your post (apologies if you are vegan)

They are milking the fans (apologies if you are vegan).

I would have been back earlier, but I got jewed in Counterstrike (apologies if you're, uh, vegan)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

trucutru posted:

They are milking the fans (apologies if you are vegan).

I would have been back earlier, but I got jewed in Counterstrike (apologies if you're, uh, vegan)

risky joke

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

I loved that guys post about "Put Chris out in a 20 second video to assure us that you haven't spent hundreds of millions of dollars to make a single system. Since that is obviously the case and SQ42 definitely takes place in multiple systems"

This particular guy is within inches of having his world view shattered when it becomes obvious that they ABSOLUTELY have spent 300 million dollars and actually don't even have a single complete system yet.
Let's recall that in the "MMO" part of the game they currently have borrowed a moon from a different system because it doesn't exist yet.

I don't remember when that chart of systems completed was last updated but I'm fairly sure it's still going to be something like 2/3rds completion of the very first system.
MM stands for Massively Misspending

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

every corporate communication from CIG reeks of incompetence, fear and arrogance all at the same time.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

When will CIG upgrade from JPEG to PNG?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

ErrEff posted:

True, how can the backers stand this lack of fidelity.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Gravity still defeating them it seems

ATMO FLIGHT MODEL DRAG/GRAVITY BEHAVES INCORRECTLY

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

- Fly ship in atmosphere, note drag and drop in altitude when no inputs are applied and ship is level
- Roll ship 90 degrees (either direction), note ship no longer losing altitude but is drifting along horizion

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Xakura posted:

risky joke

Indeed, some overzealous newbie might not know that that language is reserved for CI community managers.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Also it’s very strange that 9 years ago they had 12 staff and they produced 50 videos a week, and now they have 600 employees and none of them know how to work a video camera.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

ErrEff posted:

Something something transparency

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

ErrEff posted:

Only uncompressed .raw files directly into backers' veins retinas.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 29, 2020

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

Frankly i don`t care as long as i get visit my little Tassie in the verse before i die IN RL , i am 55 . I plan to pledge poo poo loads more cash , and no amount of whinging will change that, i have been waiting for this Roberts dream since wing commander and star lancer , few more years and going to matter non .
Also want to see if sol in this verse erected a satellite umbrella to delay polar ice cap melt and the heat death of earths pollinators or if earth is just a life less dust bowl from the ignorance of greed.
You blokes take all the time you need , get it right and make sure its ROBERTS RIGHT, cause Roberts rules ok.
Religion has had the crap taken out of it for over 2,000 years ,all of it based on psychotic psycho babble , its still here.
Star Citizen IMHO , has much more to offer than any religion.
i am also qwertylexic  .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

I can't believe they even admitted they need a few weeks between steps. Just to be clear that's steps which each outline what the possible new roadmap might look like. Pure arrogance.