Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Man, Hakuho made my main man Hokutofuji look like a conmplete pushover. The guy seems unstoppable this basho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brut posted:

Are your referring to the "Group By: Rikishi" option under "Group similar results" section, or did you mean something else?

Clicking on "Rikishi" on the top bar gives a dedicated search for dudes by name.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Clicking on "Rikishi" on the top bar gives a dedicated search for dudes by name.

Oh...huh, I guess I just never bothered to click that button, good to know, thank you!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
basho's good.

hakuho looks absolutely unstoppable and the only person with the sumo to challenge that just lost so i guess give the man a cup

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Full Power Hakuho is probably one of the most unstoppable things I ever saw in a sport, dude's just swatting people down like nothing.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Marching Powder posted:

hakuho looks absolutely unstoppable and the only person with the sumo to challenge that just lost so i guess give the man a cup

Terunofuji lost on Day 5 thank you very much.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Is anyone else really concerned about the open sores on Tochinoshin’s right shoulder? They look like they could be staph...

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Is anyone else really concerned about the open sores on Tochinoshin’s right shoulder? They look like they could be staph...

Nope, that's a standard Kasugano heya thing, they run in to a pole over and over with that shoulder as part of practice. For example, here's a random picture of Tochiozan from 2018:

(Specifically from day 2 of November Basho vs Ichinojo, but I could have pulled up any random bout.)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That's a weird fun bit of trivia.

Bummer to see the Asanoyama loss, but it is nice to see Mitakeumi fighting like a 2-time yusho winner again, as opposed to the last few days. I still think it's possible for someone to put dirt on Hakuho and lead to at least a playoff, but yeah, he's operating at a pretty unstoppable level right now.

Day 10 standings:

code:
25	anakha
34	Banana Canada
32	bartolimu
31.5	bessantj
22.5	Charles Gnarwin
35	Diplomat
30	Elissimpark
40	GoatSeeGuy
31.5	Jobbo_Fett
30	Kenning
34	Lid
27	Marching Powder
27	Martytoof
25.5	Mekchu
35	QuasiQuack
31	ratmosphere
32	Scythe
25.5	sivad
30	Spokes
39	Thauros
29	Tiny Bug Child
29	whats for dinner

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
How the gently caress was that not a monoii?

Im starting to hate sumo judges.

is Takakeisho being protected?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

mamma mia what an ending

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh no sho

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1288422117952729089

a terrifying man

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lid posted:

How the gently caress was that not a monoii?

Im starting to hate sumo judges.

is Takakeisho being protected?

While Takakeisho hit the ground slightly sooner, despite being upright, Mitakeumi was flying out of the dohyo with no chance to recover, though I agree they probably should have at least talked about it, but that kind of thing typically depends on the one shimpan who's sitting on that side to notice that maybe something was close, they don't get access to the footage for the purpose of deciding whether or not to call mono-ii

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Brut posted:

While Takakeisho hit the ground slightly sooner, despite being upright, Mitakeumi was flying out of the dohyo with no chance to recover, though I agree they probably should have at least talked about it, but that kind of thing typically depends on the one shimpan who's sitting on that side to notice that maybe something was close, they don't get access to the footage for the purpose of deciding whether or not to call mono-ii

Also, yes, they probably are protecting Takakeisho.

BONGHITZ posted:

mamma mia what an ending

I absolutely loved reading all the posts in here about how unstoppable Hakuho looks right after watching him lose to Daieisho. I probably would have posted the same thing before watching, but hey - it's a reminder he's aging, and not as fully dominant as he once was.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Biosys posted:

a terrifying man

My favorite basho promo poster:

The last thing you see before you die.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brut posted:

bartolimu posted:

Also, yes, they probably are protecting Takakeisho.

I absolutely loved reading all the posts in here about how unstoppable Hakuho looks right after watching him lose to Daieisho. I probably would have posted the same thing before watching, but hey - it's a reminder he's aging, and not as fully dominant as he once was.

I don't think they're protecting Taka, that was a pretty straightforward dead body. Mitakeumi was airborne and flying backwards due to Taka's attack and Taka's hand went down to break his fall. That's like, the definitive dead body call.

Also, Daiesho is now officially the giant-slayer.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 29, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh right.

Day 11 standings:

code:
29	anakha
36	Banana Canada
37.5	bartolimu
33.5	bessantj
28.5	Charles Gnarwin
41	Diplomat
37	Elissimpark
41	GoatSeeGuy
32.5	Jobbo_Fett
32	Kenning
36	Lid
29.5	Marching Powder
32.5	Martytoof
30	Mekchu
39	QuasiQuack
34	ratmosphere
34	Scythe
27.5	sivad
31.5	Spokes
43	Thauros
33.5	Tiny Bug Child
34	whats for dinner

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The fact that I still have a shot at finishing in the middle of the pack despite the millstone that is Onosho around my neck is amazing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I feel so bad for Onosho :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it his name or his description?

Yes.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Speculation on Abi's possible forced retirement from sumo.

Osunaarashi got booted for arguably a lesser offense so the grumpy old men coming down hard on Abi is a distinct possibility.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It doesn’t pay to be too cool for school when you’re dealing with the JSA :(

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kenning posted:

I don't think they're protecting Taka, that was a pretty straightforward dead body. Mitakeumi was airborne and flying backwards due to Taka's attack and Taka's hand went down to break his fall. That's like, the definitive dead body call.

Also, Daiesho is now officially the giant-slayer.

I think the two dead body calls in a matter of days is what is giving that feeling. The Enho match was the one that felt like more bullshit though.

Speaking of my guy, seeing him win by a straight up yorikiri was really exciting. No tricks, just power.

Hakuho losing was a shocker but makes things way more interesting now that Asanoyama can beat him straight up on day 15 with no playoff.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I crave a playoff that involves Terunofuji.

anakha posted:

Speculation on Abi's possible forced retirement from sumo.

Osunaarashi got booted for arguably a lesser offense so the grumpy old men coming down hard on Abi is a distinct possibility.

Yeah, I was wondering if that would be the outcome. This was a big "gently caress around and find out" situation, and you know our boys Abi likes to gently caress around.

It's too bad, he's been fun to watch and has at least 6 or 7 more years in the top division in him, but I dunno if they'll care much about that, especially after Shobushi loving died a couple months ago.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Kenning posted:

I crave a playoff that involves Terunofuji.

This man is my friend, he fights for freedom.

Teru looked surprisingly strong in the "Two Men Enter, One Knee Leaves" match, either way it's gonna be fun watching him work his way up the rankings this week.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

have there been any recent reports on tomokaze's condition and how much longer he'll be out? terunofuji's return made me think of him

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thauros posted:

have there been any recent reports on tomokaze's condition and how much longer he'll be out? terunofuji's return made me think of him

Oyakata originally said it'll be at least a year from the injury, haven't heard of any updates though, as far as I know he isn't training yet.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1288660421944250368?s=20

daiesho gets the freebie and a kachikoshi. forgot until clicking the link that he also got the fusen win when kakuryu dropped out

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

The fact that I still have a shot at finishing in the middle of the pack despite the millstone that is Onosho around my neck is amazing.

Welp spoke too soon LMFAO

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm super glad he pulled out after getting his 8 though, that gives him up to another 4 months to get back in fighting trim.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
did it seem like the audience was audibly upset when Tokushoryu went straight for Ikioi's bad elbow to beat him with an arm bar throw (tottari) on day 10

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Helianthus Annuus posted:

did it seem like the audience was audibly upset when Tokushoryu went straight for Ikioi's bad elbow to beat him with an arm bar throw (tottari) on day 10

I haven't heard the audience do anything but clap, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. Either way, it's all fair game.

Kenning posted:

I'm super glad he pulled out after getting his 8 though, that gives him up to another 4 months to get back in fighting trim.

Think he'll just sit out next basho? I really doubt it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Brut posted:

Think he'll just sit out next basho? I really doubt it.

He's done it before.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

it's the smart move i'm sure and i hope he can properly recover. gently caress tho, this made me go over his sumodb record and the only time he's managed double digit wins in 6 basho as an ozeki was this january when he didn't face any yokuzuna or other ozeki

edit: also the day 13 torikumi is already up even tho day 12 hasn't occured yet for makuuchi and teronufuji vs. asanoyama is scheduled

Thauros fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 30, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

anakha posted:

He's done it before.

I know but it took Chiganoura-Oyakata yelling at him to do it, and it took twice to stick, it's probably the right move I just have my doubts.

Thauros posted:

edit: also the day 13 torikumi is already up even tho day 12 hasn't occured yet for makuuchi

This is basically always the case except for the day 15 torikumi

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Thauros posted:

also the day 13 torikumi is already up even tho day 12 hasn't occured yet for makuuchi and teronufuji vs. asanoyama is scheduled

Goddamn you NHK, give me my insane playoff! :arghfist::mad:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i generally always watch kintamayama's streams when he's doing the full ones and natto when he''s not. catching the full broadcast on twitch as i'm up and it's cool to see some of the pageantry i miss like the procession and hakuho's etrance.

Brut posted:

This is basically always the case except for the day 15 torikumi

i never knew when exactly they updated it for the reason above though i know day 15 is usually delayed

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kenning posted:

Goddamn you NHK, give me my insane playoff! :arghfist::mad:

NHK is Nihon Hoso(broadcasting) Kyokai, they just point cameras at things and interrupt with news broadcasts.

NSK is Nihon Sumo Kyokai (aka JSA, Japan Sumo Association), they're the ones your beef is with, thought more specifically the Torikumi Hensei, which is the specific subset in charge of the torikumi.

I wish the acronyms were a little further apart :shrug:.

Brut fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i just noticed while watching the pre show analysis that Terunofuji's shikona is written with the katakana ノ for no. Same goes for Tochinoshin and Kotonowaka upon further resarch. wonder why? would've thought the hiragana の would've been more likely. also i'm very thankful for the furigana so i can actually read the shikona on screen

Thauros fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 30, 2020