Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He got really into aquariums and bought a fish that had be flown in from China and died a few days after he got it. The fish was several hundred dollars. I don't even know how much his 4 aquariums were, but they were likely a lot.

An arowana?

He got off lightly if so, the one in the picture is apparently $500,000.

Generally if you want to spend a lot of money and have all your fish die for no reason, salt water is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

quote:

Can I get arrested accomplice to prostitution for being a bodyguard for a friend who getting paid to piss on a guy?

So here is the story. There is a friend of mine who met a guy on tinder that is going to pay her 2000 dollars to piss on the him but not have sex with him and she said if I'm just in the appartment to make sure she doesn't get like kidnapped or something she will give me 500 dollars. Is this in the arena of prostitution and can I get in trouble with this? Also I live in Washington state.

Edit: sorry for the bad grammar
This one sounds like GWM. $500 and helping out a friend. I imagine it's nice being her number 1 go-to. This dude is totally golden in her eyes.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Dik Hz posted:

This one sounds like GWM. $500 and helping out a friend. I imagine it's nice being her number 1 go-to. This dude is totally golden in her eyes.

Stop taking the piss this is serious. Urine trouble if you keep this stream of thought going.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Dik Hz posted:

She'll probably shower him with love and affection.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

e: nevermind beaten

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like trickle down economics in action.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
The revenue stream seem like a golden opportunity; the guy’s a real whiz. Sprinkle in getting soaked on some piddly PP&E, though, and you’ll be looking to evacuate immediately. If your bottom line is leaky due to debt, #1: aim to discharge and flush through the P&L.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I've been making it rain all wrong..

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The most recent BWM example of this was when a department store - I think it was JCPenney - decided to end sales and coupons and instead sell everything at the discounted price with no gimmicks or requirements.

It crashed and burned because people liked the idea of "bigger discounts" even if they ended up actually paying more.

But at the same time, Bed Bath and Beyond is in deep financial trouble and one of the reasons cited for it is the loving coupons.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Phanatic posted:

But at the same time, Bed Bath and Beyond is in deep financial trouble and one of the reasons cited for it is the loving coupons.

Wait, how are coupons a factor?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Soylent Pudding posted:

BBB routinely offers coupons good for 20% off a single item, and their coupons also work at Buy Buy Baby (and vice versa). If you're buying a high ticket item without one of these coupons, you've screwed up.

Also people put tons of expensive poo poo on their wedding registries because they offer a "registry completion" coupon that is like 20% off everything you buy from your registry after the wedding is over. So whenever you see a couple asking for a $500 blender on their wedding registry, it's not because they expect you to buy it, it's because they're going to buy it themselves later.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Their business model is to charge a high price and blast people with free coupons for 10% off your total bill or 20% off a single item and honor those coupons in perpetuity even though they have expiration dates printed on them. Because as stated upthread, people love to feel like they're getting a bargain even if they're really not.

This works until a bunch of online retailers pop up that charge lower prices for all the stuff you sell without coupons. And BBB isn't one of those stores that sells a lot of stuff you really need to see in person to decide whether or not you want it. Now they've got huge numbers of coupons out there that, if they start enforcing the expiration date, will piss people the hell off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kid who wants to become gunsmith is at least interesting as hobbies go, but sounds like a great way to eventually blow your fingers off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it's a shame this won't fit as a thread title:

quote:

however I know how credit cards work and know this cannot be possible and is simply a mind game.

leon is doing God's work as always.

Gunsmith is good work that pays fairly well, but then you have to deal with Gun People all the time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

An arowana?

He got off lightly if so, the one in the picture is apparently $500,000.

Generally if you want to spend a lot of money and have all your fish die for no reason, salt water is the way to go.

I have no idea what kind of fish it was. I never saw it alive. It was a $700-$1,000 fish. Definitely not $500,000. It was a salt-water fish, though.

He got a bunch of different fish shipped from China for around $3,000 total. The most expensive one was the $700-$1,000, it died within days of him getting it, and there was no way to get the sketchy Chinese fish company to refund him.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kid who wants to become gunsmith is at least interesting as hobbies go, but sounds like a great way to eventually blow your fingers off.

That's totally fine. Did you not read the rest of his post? He does not want any muscles. Fingers are just bone-shaped muscle holders.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

"Who's a Good (with money) boy?"

quote:

According to BBC News, Gunther III, a German shepherd, inherited $65 million when his owner, the late German countess Karlotta Liebenstein died. The humans who managed his doggy estate eventually invested Gunther's money and turned it into $375 million which was passed onto Gunther’s son, Gunther IV.

Gunther IV and his team of handlers have used that money to snatch up mansions and villas all over the world (including Madonna's) and now Gunther IV is actually considered the world’s richest dog.

Gunther’s assets include Estates in the Bahamas, Germany, Italy, and the $7.5 million dollar Miami home once occupied by pop diva Madonna.

This dwarfs the wealth of the former richest dogs in the world, owned by Oprah Winfrey, who are the sole beneficiaries of a $30 million trust she established for her five canines.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

"Who's a Good (with money) boy?"

wait

so a monkey who takes a selfie doesn't own the copyright, but a dog can be a beneficiary of a trust?

edit: so how the hell does the trust end? What happens if the dog dies without heirs? Who sues on behalf of the dogs if the handlers mismanage the money?

So many questions...

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 31, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DaveSauce posted:

wait

so a monkey who takes a selfie doesn't own the copyright, but a dog can be a beneficiary of a trust?

According to a 2017 study, there are roughly 1.1 million wills in the United States that list a dog as the primary beneficiary.

All 50 states allow pet trusts. Only three of them have limited pet trust laws that can be challenged by other heirs.

https://www.animallaw.info/article/detailed-discussion-pet-trusts

DaveSauce posted:

wait

edit: so how the hell does the trust end? What happens if the dog dies without heirs? Who sues on behalf of the dogs if the handlers mismanage the money?

So many questions...

Ask and ye shall receive:

quote:

Gunther’s reputation as the richest dog in the world is partly a question of definition: dogs cannot hold bank accounts, so all of Gunther’s purchases would be made by a trust.

Instead, clients looking to provide for their animals can use trusts, either fixed or discretionary. Trusts can be created for people, says Jon Conder, a partner at law firm Macfarlanes in London, or they can be created for purpose. “Trust law allows for a trust for purpose where the trust’s purpose is looking after animals. It’s not just a hope [for owners] — it’s legally binding.”

A fixed trust is defined by specific instructions for the financial gift — for example, £15m that is in trust is to be used by a best human friend for the care of a beloved animal. A discretionary trust, on the other hand, requires the trustee to make decisions about how the trust’s money is allocated, and over what period.

What happens if the pets have heirs? “A trust is a fixed instrument,” Wu explains, “so it needs to be specified.” If the trust is designed to support the family indefinitely, Wu says, it is reasonable that the trustee would decide that this definition includes offspring. What about estates where the pet has no heirs? Conder says most of his clients prefer to give the money outright to a custodian for their pet, so that their estate can be wound up soon after their death.

quote:

Upon termination of the trust, or if the court determines the trust has excess funds, the trustee shall transfer the unexpended or excess trust property pursuant to the terms of the trust instrument or, if there is no provision in the trust instrument, then the trust passes to the settlor's heirs-at-law determined as if the settlor died intestate domiciled in this state at the time of distribution.

The world's richest cat is way poorer than the world's richest dog.

Also, that will from his owner is hilariously harsh.

quote:

According to Guinness World Records, the richest cat in the world is a black cat named Blackie who inherited £7 million (about $12.5 million) in 1988 when his owner Ben Rea — an antiques dealer — left a good portion of his fortune to his beloved pet.

In his will, Rea left nothing for his family and he gave additional donations to several cat-related charities, instructing them to look after Blackie.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 31, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

According to a 2017 study, there are roughly 1.1 million wills in the United States that list a dog as the primary beneficiary.

All 50 states allow pet trusts. Only three of them have limited pet trust laws that can be challenged by other heirs.

Well poo poo, wish I'd known that before. I'm having a will formally drawn up on Monday, wonder if I can change it to become the first person to leave their estate to guinea pigs.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What should a young person do?

Backstory: 16 year old male, currently enrolled in a small town school who wants to become a gunsmith.

I could see myself being a machinist, but I'm kind of weak is all. No real desire to have muscles

This reads like a Dril tweet. In a good way.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's a shame this won't fit as a thread title:

leon is doing God's work as always.

Gunsmith is good work that pays fairly well, but then you have to deal with Gun People all the time.

There's a gunsmith in my town that is a high end boutique place, by appointment only, and no published pricing (if you have to ask, you can't afford it sweetie). They do business selling/customizing five figure dollar value rifles and shotguns so orthodontists can go shoot water buffalo and grizzly bears from helicopters or something.

I have my suspicions that it's a money-losing or break-even vanity business run by someone who is already rich from something else.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

There's a gunsmith in my town that is a high end boutique place, by appointment only, and no published pricing (if you have to ask, you can't afford it sweetie). They do business selling/customizing five figure dollar value rifles and shotguns so orthodontists can go shoot water buffalo and grizzly bears from helicopters or something.

I have my suspicions that it's a money-losing or break-even vanity business run by someone who is already rich from something else.

I know a guy like that. It's a hobby business, but he seems to do okay with it. The reason it works is because he was ALREADY doing this hobby so he had the machine tools and specific smithing tools to pull it of. He still complains about "making nothing" on oddball or newer stuff when he has to buy tools. And I believe that.

The barrier to entry is high, not only because of the tools and knowledge but also you have to be zoned commercial so unless your home/workshop in in a place that is mixed usage you're out of luck on the ATF licensing.

And really, the contacts are key. You need to live in an area with a bunch of people who can afford to go on hunting safaris or somehow get one hell of a reputation otherwise so people will come to you from further away.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

canyoneer posted:

According to the 16-year old aspiring gunsmith, it is not very lucrative.

quote:

What should a young person do?

Backstory: 16 year old male, currently enrolled in a small town school who wants to become a gunsmith. I love working on guns, but most gunsmiths only make shy of $30,000. I'm terrified of the future because of this. I want to live comfortably, preferably in a small house or big apartment somewhere, and I don't want to run my own business. Problem being, I don't know what to do at all. I've looked into how to be a gunsmith already, but I really want to know the fiscal side of things. I don't have a spending habit at all yet I can't escape the feeling of financial stress. Gay, so most likely won't have kids/a family so it'll just be me and maybe a spouse. How the heck am I supposed to stay comfortable financially when the job of my life pays $30,000? I've heard it's not a great amount of money, and that I won't be middle class which is what I strive for. What do I do Reddit? I don't want to give up before I start.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
That sixteen-year-old is already more financially/career-savvy than a whole fuckton of adults. :eng99:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Edit: asked and answered.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

What you do is make a youtube channel about pipe guns, get rekt by youtube's anti-gun policies, and then ragequit youtube

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My wife and I just spent a week at a boutique-y hotel. From talking to a local guy,

1. Woman inherited/sold a company and made close to a billion.
2. She bought up all of the commercial real estate/old houses in her small hometown on a lake.
3. Spent $100M+ renovating the properties, furnishing them, buying art, turning them in to hotels, etc.
4. They're losing money hand over fist.

Hotel was nice though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

According to the 16-year old aspiring gunsmith, it is not very lucrative.

There's two ends of the spectrum with almost no middle ground, unfortunately. The working poor gunsmiths and the fabulously wealthy gunsmiths.

The problem is that a ton of people call themselves gunsmiths that can't do anything more than install a scope or maybe assemble an AR15. So the one-in-a-hundred gunsmith that actually knows machining and other practical skills gets under valued and has to take up side jobs doing general machining and other tasks that further devalues their title as "Gunsmith".

The opposite end of the spectrum is the high-end gunsmiths that build custom firearms from more-or-less scratch, work on luxury guns, and have built a name for themselves over time. They might operate out of their garage as a boutique-type operation or at a specialized small-business that they are usually owner or co-owner of.

Every aspect of the Firearms industry sucks and I can't even imagine wanting to be in it if you're not a straight white male. But kudos to that guy for trying to follow his dream.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Don't we have like 300 million guns in this country? I think we would be ok without the "gunsmith" skillset.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

My wife and I just spent a week at a boutique-y hotel. From talking to a local guy,

1. Woman inherited/sold a company and made close to a billion.
2. She bought up all of the commercial real estate/old houses in her small hometown on a lake.
3. Spent $100M+ renovating the properties, furnishing them, buying art, turning them in to hotels, etc.
4. They're losing money hand over fist.

Hotel was nice though.

At least the Mexican Drug Cartel won't kill her family, now

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Nocheez posted:

Don't we have like 300 million guns in this country? I think we would be ok without the "gunsmith" skillset.

Are you under the impression that having more cars would mean we would need less mechanics?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gunsmith is a structurally bad with brainmeats industry cuz they make bullets out of lead

notwithstanding that this actually applies to the entire practice of dealing with guns

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

At least the Mexican Drug Cartel won't kill her family, now

I too get this reference

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

bob dobbs is dead posted:

gunsmith is a structurally bad with brainmeats industry cuz they make bullets out of lead

notwithstanding that this actually applies to the entire practice of dealing with guns

It's also the primers, which emit lead into the air when fired

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

You vastly over estimate the dangers of occasionally handling lead. As long as you don't eat, breath, or drink water from pipes made of it, it's pretty easy to avoid any dangerous amount of contamination.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SpartanIvy posted:

You vastly over estimate the dangers of occasionally handling lead. As long as you don't eat, breath, or drink water from pipes made of it, it's pretty easy to avoid any dangerous amount of contamination.

i have bad news about what happens to lead when it gets fired from a gun

(some of it evaporates)

(also the primers, yeah)

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

i have bad news about what happens to lead when it gets fired from a gun

(some of it evaporates)

(also the primers, yeah)

I have some good news. Being a gunsmith doesn't mean you actually have to shoot guns all that often as part of your work.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
some of the evaporated lead condenses back into dust that then gets in the gun

presumably as a gunsmith you gotta open guns up and clean them a lot

it may not be as bad for your brainmeats as being a gun range peep or something like that, but it is a pronounced phenomena that strong exposure to guns is materially correlated w organic brain damage

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 1, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Did you also know that vaccines contain MERCURY?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they banned mercury and it was like 0.001% of the vaccine anyways

lead bullets are 95% lead, primer is 40% a lead compound, both are still legal and easy to get

the dose is the poison lol