Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

chaosapiant posted:

So I’ve finished Halo 1 and 2 and am working my way through Halo 3. These games are still rocking my socks. However, I’ve never dabbled in Halo multiplayer. Is it fun/worth getting into, and what are the best games/modes to play. I took a glance at the multiplayer menu briefly and it looks daunting.

Yes! The multiplayer menu isn't particularly elegantly designed but basically it's a list of search parameters based on player count, game mode, and what particular mcc game's mp you'd like to use. You can search as wide or as narrow as you'd like, the only thing you can't do is search for multiple game sizes at once. There are also presets that you can search for if you don't feel like tweaking everything, though I never use em personally.

As for recommendations? I guess it's based on what you particularly like, but I always found team games the best way to ease into things, either 4v4 or 8v8 is good though I prefer the latter. Depends on how much you like vehicles and open areas,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chaosapiant posted:

So I’ve finished Halo 1 and 2 and am working my way through Halo 3. These games are still rocking my socks. However, I’ve never dabbled in Halo multiplayer. Is it fun/worth getting into, and what are the best games/modes to play. I took a glance at the multiplayer menu briefly and it looks daunting.

My suggestion would be to pick between 4v4 or 8v8 modes and select a single game from the list. Most people are playing Halo 3 multi right now but there is a crowd on Reach and Halo 2. Find a game that fits your mood and play around.

Slayer is the go-to game mode, with variants such as SWAT or Snipers that use specific weapons with unlimited ammo and other rules alterations. The gist remains the same: kill the enemy team to score.

If you select the "Grab Bag" option from the game types, it throws in a whole load of nonstandard game modes with even more alterations that are fun if only for the sheer variety.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One day 343 will figure out the secret to giving us back multi team

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

8v8 flag and bomb with all games selected is the purest form of bliss

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

RBA Starblade posted:

One day 343 will figure out the secret to giving us back multi team

Multi-team Mayhem was the best playlist. 2v2v2v2v2v2 King of the Hill in Sword Base was a special kind of chaotic. Plus it was the mode that had Rocket Race!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If any of y'all didn't know about this site:

https://halome.nu/index.htm

Real nice to have chilling open in a tab while you're browsing

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New hotfix patch is out, fixing some issues with the challenge system (and, if Reddit is any indication, adding new ones. :v:)

In addition, the way to attain the Acrophobia skull and Alliance nameplate has changed. Until ODST launches on PC, you can obtain the skull and nameplate by logging into the game on any platform. After ODST launches, the nameplate will no longer be unlockable and the Acrophobia skull will be made available for everyone off the bat, like every other skull in the game.

Finally, here's the music from the Infinite gameplay demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQtYNjxdZRU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

On a random note, was anyone else absolutely amazed by the bump mapping in Halo CE on the first Xbox back in the day? I remember marvelling on how it changed depending what angle I shined my flashlight.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Lord Ludikrous posted:

On a random note, was anyone else absolutely amazed by the bump mapping in Halo CE on the first Xbox back in the day? I remember marvelling on how it changed depending what angle I shined my flashlight.

God, yes! I always bring this up and people look at me like I'm crazy. 12 year old me kept shining the flashlight everywhere to marvel at random walls.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Oh yea young me spent way too much time shining the flashlight on snow, glass, rocks just to look at it.

I also remember the water effects blowing my mind. I spent hours exploring the streams, waterfall, and ocean in Halo/Silent Cartographer

In terms of visuals Halo absolutely blew everything else away at the time. Nothing else even came close.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lord Ludikrous posted:

You may be misremembering somewhat. Yes the bumpmapping was great, but on OG Xbox the bumpmapping actually worked regardless of if you had your flashlight on.

The PC port done by Gearbox half assed it and the MCC version of Combat Evolved is based on the Gearbox code. The bumpmapping is actually broken and only works when you shine a flashlight on textures instead of all the time. Also the captain Keys model on OG xbox looks much better than the one on PC.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

That isn't bump mapping, Halo 2 had bump mapping. (And its why everything looks really plastic)

That was just a material shader for the texture + phong shading. Really early basic graphics techniques.

E: I guess its getting nitpicky and Halo 1 does technically count as bump mapping.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 30, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

That isn't bump mapping, Halo 2 had bump mapping. (And its why everything looks really plastic)

That was just a material shader for the texture + phong shading. Really early basic graphics techniques.

E: I guess its getting nitpicky and Halo 1 does technically count as bump mapping.

That being said I remember Bungie would not shut up about Bump Mapping in the leadup to Halo 2. It was hyped in like every preview of the game as this revolutionary graphics technology.

Then Halo 2 came out and I remembered it being more blurry when compared to 1 and the environments seemed smaller.

At least the Anniversary graphics for 2 are really well done.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

chaosapiant posted:

Halo multiplayer is a blast. There is a reason it was one of the games to play when it came out.

The multiplayer menu really isn't that bad when you actually look at it. It's how many people you want in your game, what type of game you want to play and which version of halo you want to play in.

Has anyone else noticed that some maps are in the rotation much more than others? It feels like Ghost town in particular is the map for every other match I play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

That being said I remember Bungie would not shut up about Bump Mapping in the leadup to Halo 2. It was hyped in like every preview of the game as this revolutionary graphics technology.

Then Halo 2 came out and I remembered it being more blurry when compared to 1 and the environments seemed smaller.

At least the Anniversary graphics for 2 are really well done.

The big difference is Halo 1 uses the technique in a really simple way and only sparingly on very large flat surfaces, things that have very few polygons. Pretty tasteful stuff, and where we would be using parallax mapping today to really push those bricks in the walls to stick out and look fully 3d.

Halo 2 applies bump mapping to everything, including Marines, Master Chief's armor, or even Admiral Hood's face (which all end up looking very plastic)

Then people figured out they should use more color channels and normal mapping fixed that issue.

The anniversary graphics for 2 are really good. I still play on OG graphics in H1 and H2 a lot, even if they're not right on PC.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I have played four CTF games now in Halo 3 and Reach, and all of them ended 0:0. Thank you for your time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Haven't watched yet, but Unraveled is always a treat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWEdIcx1DI

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Is there any way to include multiple game sizes in your list when searching?

I would love to be able to just have one list that throws me into 4v4, 8v8 or 8FFA

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Oxyclean posted:

Haven't watched yet, but Unraveled is always a treat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWEdIcx1DI

lol I just finished watching it and was about to post it.

I couldn't believe the shocking revelation that the suit doesn't jack him off

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

As far as Halo multi goes, CE is flat out terrible. Nothing but pistol duels and terrible respawning/spawn camping, usually right when opponents are nearby. Feel free to ignore it. I prefer Reach's multi actually; it feels the most balanced outside of frequent DMR fights and I'm at least consistently good at it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I love the DMR.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Kins posted:

New hotfix patch is out, fixing some issues with the challenge system (and, if Reddit is any indication, adding new ones. :v:)

Nothing about fixing 3's hit reg. :negative:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think all the new customization for CE is adorable but I'm sad that I'll basically never get to enjoy it

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

In the midst of my campaign playthroughs now that 3 is out and Reach's audio is unfucked. 3 was better than I remember giving it credit for, even if you can tell they ran out of time/budget near the end with these giant loving flat paintings in the cutscenes, or the final level consisting of "hang out in this very small slice of map for 5 minutes, shoot a laser, ehhhhhwarthog run."

Now I'm in the middle of 2 and boy howdy this campaign is pretty dookie, huh? I really didn't remember it being this bad, but every Arbiter level is just miserably boring. H2A's remaster is pretty good for visuals and weapon audio, but they really loving blew it when it came to replacing the music. Most of the time it's just a worse imitation of the original (which is still fine), but then you get to segments like the first bit with the Heretic Banshees and it was so jarring that I had to flip the music back to see what it was meant to be. I think there were two other instances where it just really didn't fit between that first one and Breaking Benjamin, which is where I'm paused at now. Besides a lot of it being boring and repetitive, I've just run into so many weird rear end deaths and difficulty spikes even on a casual normal run. It's bizarre.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Grimthwacker posted:

As far as Halo multi goes, CE is flat out terrible. Nothing but pistol duels and terrible respawning/spawn camping, usually right when opponents are nearby. Feel free to ignore it. I prefer Reach's multi actually; it feels the most balanced outside of frequent DMR fights and I'm at least consistently good at it.

The wrongest of wrong opinions. Halo CE is still the best. CTF on Bloodgulch is still the best. Chill Out, Prisoner, and Hang'em High are still the best maps. The pistol is just a slightly better battle rifle and the game doesn't suffer from a bunch of one handed garbage weapons and gimmicks everywhere. Respawning is mostly only a problem if your teammates refuse to move from bad positions getting you respawned into death. If you know what you're doing you can force better respawns on a lot of maps.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Abroham Lincoln posted:

In the midst of my campaign playthroughs now that 3 is out and Reach's audio is unfucked. 3 was better than I remember giving it credit for, even if you can tell they ran out of time/budget near the end with these giant loving flat paintings in the cutscenes, or the final level consisting of "hang out in this very small slice of map for 5 minutes, shoot a laser, ehhhhhwarthog run."

Now I'm in the middle of 2 and boy howdy this campaign is pretty dookie, huh? I really didn't remember it being this bad, but every Arbiter level is just miserably boring. H2A's remaster is pretty good for visuals and weapon audio, but they really loving blew it when it came to replacing the music. Most of the time it's just a worse imitation of the original (which is still fine), but then you get to segments like the first bit with the Heretic Banshees and it was so jarring that I had to flip the music back to see what it was meant to be. I think there were two other instances where it just really didn't fit between that first one and Breaking Benjamin, which is where I'm paused at now. Besides a lot of it being boring and repetitive, I've just run into so many weird rear end deaths and difficulty spikes even on a casual normal run. It's bizarre.

Music rights must be super weird that they can use the audio in H2A but only on original graphics

quote:

Respawning is mostly only a problem if your teammates refuse to move from bad positions getting you respawned into death.

Pubbies have not learned to play Halo in any form in the twenty years it has existed. They will never do this. Halo: CE multi still owns though

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Is there cross-play on this between pc and xbox one?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

lol I just finished watching it and was about to post it.

I couldn't believe the shocking revelation that the suit doesn't jack him off

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Agreed on the halo 2 music replacements, those 2 prog metal tracks suck rear end, and a few of the remastered marty songs just aren't as good either. As far as the campaign though, maybe it's nostalgia but I still think it's great. I like the mining facility, I like delta halo and the underwater temple is awesome, I even like the high charity missions. Halo 3 has higher highs but also lower lows, and I find earth to be a more boring setting overall. I think reach and 2 have the most consistent campaigns, 1 and 3 have standout missions but also 2 of the worst in the series (haven't played 4 or ODST yet) in the Library and Cortana. 3 also has the best back to back missions in the series as well with the Ark and the Covenant, although Tip of the Spear into Long Night of Solace is a runner-up. Delta Halo into Regret would probably be my number 3.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Frustrated posted:

The wrongest of wrong opinions. Halo CE is still the best. CTF on Bloodgulch is still the best. Chill Out, Prisoner, and Hang'em High are still the best maps. The pistol is just a slightly better battle rifle and the game doesn't suffer from a bunch of one handed garbage weapons and gimmicks everywhere. Respawning is mostly only a problem if your teammates refuse to move from bad positions getting you respawned into death. If you know what you're doing you can force better respawns on a lot of maps.

Halo CE MP is a broken, glitchy, disaster mess.

But I absolutely love it but lately its been really hard finding a match

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

3 is really good, although it cannot be overstated how loving terrible of a level Cortana is.

Also all those weird not-cutscenes where Cortana talks to you throughout the game and they make you CRAWL while she's talking. They don't stop the game, but they don't let you keep playing either. Just pointlessly frustrating and once you've beaten the game one time you really wish you could turn it off.

RBA Starblade posted:

Music rights must be super weird that they can use the audio in H2A but only on original graphics

Its not a rights issue. They'd have to pay for rights either way to use the track in the game. And they'd have to pay more to cover it on the remaster, so they didn't bother with that.

But the fact that you can't switch audio independent of graphics in halo 2 versus halo 1 is purely a technical limitation and 343i being incompetent. There's no possible way its a licensing issue.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Zaphod42 posted:

3 is really good, although it cannot be overstated how loving terrible of a level Cortana is.

Also all those weird not-cutscenes where Cortana talks to you throughout the game and they make you CRAWL while she's talking. They don't stop the game, but they don't let you keep playing either. Just pointlessly frustrating and once you've beaten the game one time you really wish you could turn it off.

I've always assumed those were hiding loads.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

I still don't understand how Cortana does cross-galactic telepathy to master chief in the first few levels of the game

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I kind of hate the way she emotes being in pain, like falling over. you are a digital construct cortana, you're not literally a blue woman hanging out in a room somewhere it's all artifice to communicate with humans and so this is all a show you're putting on on purpose, which makes a whole lot of this extremely weird

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Master Chief's suit does not jerk him off. This is official.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Yeah halo 3 gets a bit more cringy with cortana, and gravemind turns into a Saturday morning cartoon villain instead of the slightly more mysterious thing he was in 2.
Someone should make calmgravemind.jpg.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't defend Cortana, but it's at least just one level surrounded by good ones compared to like 10 loving gondola rides or "stand here and wait for enemies to show up" moments strung through 2's campaign.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

IronicDongz posted:

I kind of hate the way she emotes being in pain, like falling over. you are a digital construct cortana, you're not literally a blue woman hanging out in a room somewhere it's all artifice to communicate with humans and so this is all a show you're putting on on purpose, which makes a whole lot of this extremely weird

It's because, like Halsey, she's manipulating everyone and everything around them at all times. And MC, like the player, is stupid as gently caress and falls for it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m about a third or halfway through Halo 3, and it’s super fun, but didn’t (yet anyway) have the sense of majesty and grandeur that Halo 2 had. Of all I’ve played, I like Halo 2 the most.

I also like that the games continually balance you playing a John McClane badass, but so far as to make you do everything alone. You’re often with some buddies and they pull that off really well, with the exception of having them drive.

Playing these games makes me really wish Halo 5 will come to PC, because I hate not being able to complete a series. And since I’m new to the series and not invested over years, I’m looking forward to see how Halo 4 plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I can't defend Cortana, but it's at least just one level surrounded by good ones compared to like 10 loving gondola rides or "stand here and wait for enemies to show up" moments strung through 2's campaign.

Forerunners were a galaxy-spanning civilisation with god-like understanding of time and space and were able to construct things out of light and defy gravity.

Still dependent on elevators that move v e r y s l o w