Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Wasnt one of the issues trudeau ran on voting reform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The kind of action you’re seeing in NOLA to stop evictions will spread, and it will be nonpartisan and class-based groups of protesters. Party registration won’t matter when you and your neighbor both know the only thing keeping either of you housed is working together to shut down eviction processes.

This is actually a populist practice with a long history in the US, predating the revolution. Sheriffs and judges would be run out of town, tarred and feathered, have their homes torn down to the foundation, and their offices torched.

We will see brutal repression attempts against these groups and that will be a bipartisan effort, too. Class works that way.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Has anyone posted flood ICE yet?
https://earthfirstjournal.news/wp-c...&openfile=false

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Wasnt one of the issues trudeau ran on voting reform?

Yes, and anyone stupid enough to believe him got hilariously burned immediately afterwards. I'm looking forward to watching it happen in America if the dems get any power any time soon.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Dapper_Swindler posted:

trumps doubling down on the election poo poo on live tv.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. he is pushing the whole "kids are killing themselves at record rates" type poo poo.

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1288961440162951174

None of this is helping him, It’s just making people madder and more desperate for this to end

He’s just joking, playing 8D chess and keeping “certain people” busy as a distraction!

In reality he’s pissing off the military even more with this bullshit and hardcore conservatives. His remaining base is going to be the conspiracy theorists by the end of the week at under 30%. No one has an appetite to delay the election and this is only being pushed by Trump and kushner.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Djarum posted:

WTF? This is completely a First Amendment violation. What the gently caress are they thinking?

A bit old, but I didn't see anyone make the obvious response. This executive order is not a first amendment violation. It may even be legal and possibly a reasonable idea if carefully crafted, though its obviously troubling in Trump's FCC.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

The best we can hope for.

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1288883776395923457?s=20
https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1288971870671446016?s=20
https://twitter.com/JENFL23/status/1288972684387385344?s=20

Bootleg Trunks fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 31, 2020

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

If the president activates the national guard then they fall under the federal laws preventing the military from acting as police. It's only when they are activated by state governors if they're able to act like police.

What was the story with Little Rock?

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Actually I know nothing about CanPol and wouldn't mind learning a thing or 5 about it.

Does Canada have their own version of Trump; Sanders?

Trudeau seems as centrist as centrist can get but I with-hold any firm opinion of him because I haven't paid any attention.

Trudeau is our Obama, good on paper, not stacking up to election promises, but well spoken and better then the alternatives. He came off the heels of Harper, who basically just tried to be the low-budget Canadian version of Bush Jr. for the decade he was in charge. We don't really have our version of Sanders, because Sanders was more or less campaigning for a bunch of poo poo we take for granted in Canada.

Canada Liberal party is basically pro-business, but doesn't try to gently caress with government social programs too much, and is pretty much completely secular in how they operate. Centrist as gently caress as far as Canadian politics go.

The Canadian Conservative Party desperately wishes they were the GOP, and their elections heavily rely on people getting mad about US GOP talking points and thinking they apply in Canada. Most of our grifters are CCP oil-industry stooges. The CCP is currently going through its own tea-party-esque self-cannibalization trying to figure out who can be the worst person but still get votes next election. It's currently led by Andrew Scheer who is a bag of milk that has been animated by science (private religious school science).

The NDP is our most left wing party, aggressively pro-union, and historically tries to throw government money at tons of projects and programs whenever they're in power before imploding and handing off power to the Liberals. Having said that, NDP is currently in charge of BC right now, has been fulfilling most of their campaign promises and is generally considered to be doing a good job right now (especially with our COVID response, which has been among the best in the world).

Trudeau is generally well received right now because the federal COVID-19 response has been pretty rock solid, although props have to go to the Federal NDP leader Singh who was responsible for pushing and extending things like the $2000/month "I can't work because of COVID" fund that is keeping our economy from imploding. Regardless, Trudeau will probably win his next election again, because despite a bunch brownface gaffes and dubious scandals... well... *gestures broadly at the CCP*

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Monaghan posted:

Good on Obama for actually using his eulogy to advocate for change that John Lewis would have wanted instead of taking the safe route and going on about what a hero and brave guy John was.

Obama has, by all accounts, spent his retirement towards the cause of voter enfranchisement.

PeterCat posted:

It amazes me that people are still falling for Obama's schtick of saying something hopeful and progressive when he has no ability to implement it. Where was this Obama when he was in office?

Meanwhile, you've been posting on a dead message board.

I'm counting the minutes until "leftists" realize that enfranchisement of DC and PR means 4 more Dem senators and therefore letting (brown) people vote is now bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xombie fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 31, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Not shocking but still dissapointed and infuriating

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1288954683369951237?s=20

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Not shocking but still dissapointed and infuriating

The county basically would have lit a bunch of money on fire and ended up with a not guilty verdict if they had proceeded in this case.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Glumwheels posted:

He’s just joking, playing 8D chess and keeping “certain people” busy as a distraction!

In reality he’s pissing off the military even more with this bullshit and hardcore conservatives. His remaining base is going to be the conspiracy theorists by the end of the week at under 30%. No one has an appetite to delay the election and this is only being pushed by Trump and kushner.

Military voted heavily in favor of Trump during the 2016 election, it was like 61 to 34, why exactly do you think it would be any different this time around?

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

sinburger posted:

The NDP is our most left wing party, aggressively pro-union, and historically tries to throw government money at tons of projects and programs whenever they're in power before imploding and handing off power to the Liberals. Having said that, NDP is currently in charge of BC right now, has been fulfilling most of their campaign promises and is generally considered to be doing a good job right now (especially with our COVID response, which has been among the best in the world).

I think it's worth mentioning that when election time rolls around the NDP turn into spineless centrists who don't even try to be progressive in any way. They're way more worthless than this post makes them seem.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

shirunei posted:

Military voted heavily in favor of Trump during the 2016 election, it was like 61 to 34, why exactly do you think it would be any different this time around?

When they've been polled they don't like him. The officers especially dislike him.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Xombie posted:

Meanwhile, you've been posting on a dead message board.

I agree, PeterCat has been a terrible president and I will not be voting for him again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

OddObserver posted:

What was the story with Little Rock?

Eisenhower activated the Arkansas National Guard specifically to take them out of the control of Governor Faubus, who was using the Guard to prevent the Little Rock 9 from entering the school.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

shirunei posted:

The people who actually give orders and whose support Trump would need to do anything crazy, all hate his loving guts.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Grondoth posted:

When they've been polled they don't like him. The officers especially dislike him.

I should have been clear, I meant this. It’s been obvious since his bible photo op that the military leadership isn’t going to back him up if he wants to hide in the White House or try to delay/stop the election.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
The idea that the military would support Trump trying to make himself dictator is hilarious. The generals are sick of him already, and they know that Biden would love to let them start a war with Iran instead of loving it up like Trump did. Nobody's going to disobey their orders from a general on account of a guy who lost the election (if he loses).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Xombie posted:

I'm counting the minutes until "leftists" realize that enfranchisement of DC and PR means 4 more Dem senators and therefore letting (brown) people vote is now bad.

lmao what the gently caress is this

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Am I fearing a second Trump term too much if my main concerns are pseudo-fascism and climate change? These thoughts still linger a week after my week off politics.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1288851337820680195?s=20

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

Am I fearing a second Trump term too much if my main concerns are pseudo-fascism and climate change? These thoughts still linger a week after my week off politics.

The US will remain pseudo-fascist and keep ignoring climate change if Trump loses. If those are your main concerns then you've got nothing to worry about regardless of who wins.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

The idea that the military would support Trump trying to make himself dictator is hilarious. The generals are sick of him already, and they know that Biden would love to let them start a war with Iran instead of loving it up like Trump did. Nobody's going to disobey their orders from a general on account of a guy who lost the election (if he loses).

True but then i remembered that BP, the DHS, and the police exist. Those together plus militia does an army make even if it's not one that will win.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

didn't realize "has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like" was official policy, wow

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm actually less struck by his casual indifference to sick kids as I am that he seems to actually believe that certain generations are immune to the disease?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Rockit posted:

True but then i remembered that BP, the DHS, and the police exist. Those together plus militia does an army make even if it's not one that will win.

If we want to see 1000 years of progressive darkness we can only hope Trump tries some shady poo poo after losing, because it would damage the republican brand beyond repair.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 31, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

skeleton warrior posted:

didn't realize "has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like" was official policy, wow

What? Either you, or the person you are quoting seems to have a stroke.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

What? Either you, or the person you are quoting seems to have a stroke.

Thats the desired effect

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I'm actually less struck by his casual indifference to sick kids as I am that he seems to actually believe that certain generations are immune to the disease?

Do you think Trump has any idea what’s going on? Trump’s being fed bullshit by Kushner because he’s also a loving moron.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Nelson Mandingo posted:

If we want to see 1000 years of progressive darkness we can only hope Trump tries some shady poo poo after losing, because it would damage the republican brand beyond repair.
Can't blame me for not wanting any more accelerationist bloodshed than what Covid already brought.
The only thing i can do to calm myself rn is that Trump is stupid enough to think he just needs to make deals with congress and the military and will not use those other sources until it's too late to use them.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm gonna keep repeating this until I'm blue in the face because people SEEM to keep wanting this to be true, Trump is not going to try a coup or stay in office after losing. He can't even come up with a reason why he should have a second term. It will have to be an ambiguous electoral victory for him to have the balls to do anything and we're probably in for another 5 to 4 decision from the Supreme Court again in that case.

This was a
A. Primarily a distraction effort from the bad economic numbers today and it was completely successful. He literally made that post minutes after the news came out. This was pre-planned
B. Testing the waters to see if any republicans would potentially go along with it. Congressmen and women and senators shut him down, hard.

Election day is happening on schedule just like it has for 200 years.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ah yes young people are almost immune

so would this entail oh idk carrying the virus and having very little symptoms?

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

STAC Goat posted:

Trump doesn't believe anything, dude. He says whatever he wants whenever he thinks of it and if it doesn't turn out well for him he'll pretend later like he never said that. He heard on FOX or someone told him that kids don't die of covid, so he can say that they're immune and who's gonna tell him he's wrong? Some nerd on the internet?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm gonna keep repeating this until I'm blue in the face because people SEEM to keep wanting this to be true, Trump is not going to try a coup or stay in office after losing. He can't even come up with a reason why he should have a second term. It will have to be an ambiguous electoral victory for him to have the balls to do anything and we're probably in for another 5 to 4 decision from the Supreme Court again in that case.

This was a
A. Primarily a distraction effort from the bad economic numbers today and it was completely successful. He literally made that post minutes after the news came out. This was pre-planned
B. Testing the waters to see if any republicans would potentially go along with it. Congressmen and women and senators shut him down, hard.

Election day is happening on schedule just like it has for 200 years.

Ah yes, more 5D chess from grand master Trump. Distracting from the bad economic numbers by making it seem like he's trying to destroy US democracy. What an amazing strategy! That's going to win the election so hard.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Every once in a while the forums produces something absolutely perfect and this is one of those times. :boom:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Ah yes, more 5D chess from grand master Trump. Distracting from the bad economic numbers by making it seem like he's trying to destroy US democracy. What an amazing strategy! That's going to win the election so hard.

I have never suggested Trump was guilty of being intelligent. In a democracy you don't suggest canceling elections when you're in a position of strength. He's telegraphing his weakness and anxiety. It was a mistake to make that tweet and do a loyalty test.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Fame Douglas posted:

Nobody said he was smart, they said he does stupid poo poo to distract from his failings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1288984874339250179?s=19

quote:

Donald Trump and his family’s boosting of a group of doctors making false claims about the coronavirus and the drug hydroxychloroquine have left the president’s aides frustrated, according to new reports.

The Daily Beast spoke to sources, who wished to remain anonymous, that work inside the White House and claimed Mr Trump’s recent signal boost of the videos have left them dealing with the fallout.

When he started doing [coronavirus press briefings] again, my thought was, ‘Oh, great, this f****** s*** again,’” a senior official who works closely with the coronavirus task force said. “And now we’re all talking about demon ejaculation.”