Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What are weaves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

How the gently caress does anyone beat Convocation of Decay on Legend? Tired of slamming my dick in the door but kinda wish I could get the skins for a few remaining classes.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Artificer posted:

What are weaves?

The Weaves of Magic expansion added a new game mode that basically consists of modified levels with new, generally smaller and more specific, objectives and mutators. Weave 1 might give you a small slice of Against the Grain that involves you killing a certain amount of enemies then fighting a boss while your max health slowly drains. Once you beat one level you move on to the next, and it gets progressively harder. There's no bots, but there is quickplay (though it seems real empty nighttime MST--and probably always lmao).

Your progression is also separate and one of the coolest parts about it imo. You gain Essence for playing any mission, not just Weaves, so you'll get the resource whenever you do normal games too, then you spend it to unlock and upgrade your character and weapons. It's a grid-system, visually at least, and allows you to get real specific with how you build your character instead of rerolling on normal gear.

FishBowlRobot posted:

How the gently caress does anyone beat Convocation of Decay on Legend? Tired of slamming my dick in the door but kinda wish I could get the skins for a few remaining classes.

Is there any particular part you're having trouble with? Broadly the answer is similar to most maps: you need consistent play while focusing on damage avoidance and good progression tempo while having good reactive play when the AI Director inevitably throws 4 disablers at the Ubersreik 5 simultaneously.

If there's a specific thing you're running into, though, I can probably give better info. The finale can be a bit of a loving dick. I've only played Legend for about 300 hours now, and it's still really volatile. Sometimes you just get unlucky or you slip up and the run dies. Sometimes that happens all night. Sometimes my buddies and I win like 15 runs in a row. Just depends.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah we've done convo on legend multiple times with the only sketchy parts being the last stretch where you drop down the hole because if you don't got a good team you'll split in all directions and be hosed. Down the stairs and the last tome is a patrol/monster magnet so there's lots of wipes there. The ring is easy if everyone knows how to avoid taking damage, the second someone gets complacent they'll get shanked in the back--you'll see the veteran players who know their class survive while the lesser players usually stand out in this.

The key is never leave horde clear mode and kill everything ASAP or you'll allow something to climb up and shank a teammate. Gunner spawns can gently caress you up good here because unless they're killed fast they can sometimes setup in areas that will allow them a clear lane of fire across the entire circle. If you're lucky the gunners will bug out and insist on climbing up the ledge to shoot you then you can just bop them as they climb.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I was referring to the finale. I mostly play with randos and I’m an okay player I think, but it gets insane when multiple specials and elites are dropped on you at once. There’s so many different directions and angles to cover, so it becomes a clusterfuck when all of a sudden 4 chaos warriors, 2 blightstormers, and other specials/elites appear together to gently caress poo poo up. I’m sure playing with non-randos would help, but it’s the hardest finale imo.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
For Convocation of Decay, there is a horrible exploit which I usually intentionally ignore where 3 players stay back on the very open bridge over the chasm, and 1 goes forwards to trigger the summoning circle. The 1 will die but the 3 on the bridge should be able to mow everything down because the enemy all come up the ledge you are meant to drop down

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Enjoy posted:

For Convocation of Decay, there is a horrible exploit which I usually intentionally ignore where 3 players stay back on the very open bridge over the chasm, and 1 goes forwards to trigger the summoning circle. The 1 will die but the 3 on the bridge should be able to mow everything down because the enemy all come up the ledge you are meant to drop down

That exploit got patched out more than a month ago, along with the Grail Knight mini-expansion.

What makes the ending of Convocation difficult with pubbies is that they often don't tag or even prioritize specials. That's the main threat, you should take them out as soon as possible.

If the circle gets overrun, don't be afraid to jump down if it's needed to survive. With some luck, and depending on your class, you can kite enemies around even if you're the last one standing, until you can start reviving people.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

We managed to complete weave 58 after 20-30 tries. Holy poo poo, that was difficult. If anyone is stuck there, let me know, and I will explain our strategy.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Revant posted:

You probably want +20% vs inf and +20% chaos on any sienna.

Why, if I may ask? Why not crit chance or attack speed?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because Sienna doesn't rely on crits as much to do damage the way a class like Kruber does. Her staffs are super powerful for AOE or single target already, so further speccing them for those tasks is more than enough to free up crit chance for other traits.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Revant posted:

You probably want +20% vs inf and +20% chaos on any sienna.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Because Sienna doesn't rely on crits as much to do damage the way a class like Kruber does. Her staffs are super powerful for AOE or single target already, so further speccing them for those tasks is more than enough to free up crit chance for other traits.

Good reasoning btw. I went Skaven but now I'm curious if that is a waste since they tend to have less HP. That and it kept not rolling inf and chaos. Wonder if it makes a difference.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Been trying to level up my Kerillian now for a little and she's just not as much fun as I have with the other characters. Handmaiden so far is the best class, or at least most entertaining, but I'm just not enjoying it the same way burning Skaven alive or letting everyone try and beat up my dwarf was. Spear and shield is at least different? But yeah once she's leveled up I'm going back to dwarf.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

the yellow dart posted:

Been trying to level up my Kerillian now for a little and she's just not as much fun as I have with the other characters. Handmaiden so far is the best class, or at least most entertaining, but I'm just not enjoying it the same way burning Skaven alive or letting everyone try and beat up my dwarf was. Spear and shield is at least different? But yeah once she's leveled up I'm going back to dwarf.

Which weapons are you using on which classes?

e: in a way it's refreshing to read this, since she's traditionally the most overplayed class

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Which weapons are you using on which classes?

e: in a way it's refreshing to read this, since she's traditionally the most overplayed class

For Kerri? Longbow across the board, dual daggers for Waywatcher and Shade and spear+shield on HM.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Keep in mind they just re-balanced all the weapons in the latest patch (mostly for the better). I came back to try it and the combat is definitely better now, but god there's still so much jank and terrible design and needless time wasting that I can't believe is still in surrounding all of it.

the yellow dart posted:

What talents are you using on handmaid? The recent rebalance made the regular spear cleave a lot more targets again, and it's probably still one of my favorite weapons.

Grab Asrai Alacrity (30% AS after push) and Willow Stance (20% AS on dodge) talents and with handmaidens' regen stamina you can just push attack and blend your way to victory with your ridiculous mobility.
The invis on Dash is imo invaluable. The bleed and Dmg buffs on dash more often just lead you into dangerous situations (at least for me), and the 2 second invis after dash is perfect for getting some breathing room to snipe a dangerous special or get up incapped people in relative safety. She's not as flashy as setting things on fire or having autoaim arrows but she's a real solid class.

There's a few spots on certain maps you can use the Dash to avoid annoying grim jumps too (Righteous Stand and Fort Brach are ones that I can remember off the top of my head)

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 24, 2020

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Fishstick posted:

Grab Asrai Alacrity (30% AS after push) and Willow Stance (20% AS on dodge) talents and with handmaidens' regen stamina you can just push attack and blend your way to victory with your ridiculous mobility.

I didn't realize these stacked and holy gently caress I just used the axe to murder my way through the weekly event. Computer could barely handle the animations. This is truly the way.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

the yellow dart posted:

I didn't realize these stacked and holy gently caress I just used the axe to murder my way through the weekly event. Computer could barely handle the animations. This is truly the way.

You can get similar results with a Footknight Kruber build which also gives AS on push, and stacks AS for every target you hit with your charge. If you get the talent that resets your ult when someone gets incapped (which apparently includes people getting pounced/grabbed), you can use it all the time. Full speed halberd or Exe sword are pretty great.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Has anyone here completed weave 63? We've tried literally dozens of times but keep failing.

e: we got it. Use the vines at the back to cheese it, at the very start. Three of you get behind them (they can't break through) on a ledge, kill the specials and then everything else, while elf goes forward to trigger everything and put the shards in (hopefully). Elf then dies, the rest of the party moves forward normally and finishes the level.

Now we're stuck at weave 65 lol

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 30, 2020

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
i bought this game

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

FishBowlRobot posted:

you have to keep running around the circly thing killing stuff, don't ever stop moving

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

FishBowlRobot posted:

Jump down when you get overwhelmed to get some breathing room and kill those pesky CWs on your rear end

Having a good comp also helps.

So far only managed it on my Merc and Wayfarer

Passburger
May 4, 2013

FishBowlRobot posted:

If you're feeling lazy and wanna cheese it, there's an exploit you can do also, I don't think the've patched it but I may be wrong:

3 pepople will be staying and fighting hordes right before the drop down, where the ammo box is, meanwhile one member of the team will go and stand in the middle of the ritual until he/she/it dies. That corpse will count as if there are stil people disrupting the ritual while the rest of the team are safe and sound fighting enemis by the ammo box. Once all the fatties die, the res tof the team can safely go for your rescue and extract.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Passburger posted:

If you're feeling lazy and wanna cheese it, there's an exploit you can do also, I don't think the've patched it but I may be wrong:

3 pepople will be staying and fighting hordes right before the drop down, where the ammo box is, meanwhile one member of the team will go and stand in the middle of the ritual until he/she/it dies. That corpse will count as if there are stil people disrupting the ritual while the rest of the team are safe and sound fighting enemis by the ammo box. Once all the fatties die, the res tof the team can safely go for your rescue and extract.

They patched this out at the time the Grail Knight was introduced.

Also, and this is completely useless knowledge now, if the other three then went all the way back to the previous drop, they wouldn't have to fight enemies at all, with the exception of a few specials.

My tips for the current version:

- Tag specials

- Prioritize specials

- Don't be afraid to jump down and kite for a while if things become too hairy. If you're one of the last two to stay alive, just try to survive until you can res.

I'm sure there's also an optimized way of moving around in the circle itself (possibly clockwise or counter-clockwise), but good luck getting pubbies to stick to anything like that.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

They patched out the cheese but in classic Fatshark fashion chose to ignore why everyone avoids that map unless they can cheese it because the end event is complete bullshit now. Whoever decided it should just infinitely spawn CK's and trash, forever, regardless of circle progress, can go eat a bag of dicks. You can jump off and kite but poo poo will just keep spawning and if you don't have the DPS/AP to deal with it then you lose that map.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 2, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hmm. I personally think the only 'objective' problem is enemies coming from every direction, so a lot of players without sweepy weapons and/or 360 FOV are just going to get poked in the back constantly, unless they're lucky. It just gets unpleasantly chaotic almost immediately.

The second issue is the specials, but that can largely be mitigated if your team has the 20% of Legend players who realize that specials are to be prioritized at all times, rather than the majority who instead think that ammo is to be wasted at all times except when there are specials around.

The CW are mostly a non-issue by themselves, if they're the cause of your wipe then you had a garbage/unbalanced team with not even a single player capable of nuking elites. Any wipe caused simply by your team not having DPS is a legitimate wipe, in my opinion.

I do agree that the whole thing is typically Fatshark. Back in the day, the scripted endings were a joke, far easier than the random hordes you'd already defeated throughout the level. You could go make coffee while waiting for the map to end. Now they've 'fixed' it, but some maps were way overtuned in the process, Convocation especially due to those three previously mentioned points combined. Fort Brachsenbrücke had the same problem for a while, but it seems like they've at least dialed that back a bit now, not throwing quite as many plague monks at you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah my friends were talking about how hard it was playing on any difficulty above veteran (and therefore won't really play above it too often) and honestly, the big issue is that they're just not shooting specials in the face.

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFvRTDnIF1o

Like i've not played much of this because I spent all of my co-op games in this vein playing payday or L4D2 so I didn't mind the easy introduction, but Vet is laughably easy.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
I've been playing this again since the balance patch dropped and made my first forays into Legend. Honestly the transition from Champion wasn't as bad as I expected, though that may be the good fortune I've had in quickplay with getting some truly expert pubbies. My boi Saltzpyre taking his rapier and brace of pistols to the next (red) level!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Hmm. I personally think the only 'objective' problem is enemies coming from every direction, so a lot of players without sweepy weapons and/or 360 FOV are just going to get poked in the back constantly, unless they're lucky. It just gets unpleasantly chaotic almost immediately.

The CW are mostly a non-issue by themselves, if they're the cause of your wipe then you had a garbage/unbalanced team with not even a single player capable of nuking elites. Any wipe caused simply by your team not having DPS is a legitimate wipe, in my opinion.

If you could choose loadouts at the start of the randomly chosen map like in Vermintide 1, I would agree. As it is it is you can finish 99.9% of the map with any given group's loadout and then get destroyed because the final event on that particular map requires you to specifically have brought AP stuff. Even if you drop down, enemies do not stop spawning and if you can't kill things fast enough while also getting people up its just a matter of how fast you want to fail.

I don't think I've completed that event with pubbies once on Legend and now I just skip the map because its just 20 minutes of good times followed by a swift kick in the balls with no reward to show for it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fishstick posted:

If you could choose loadouts at the start of the randomly chosen map like in Vermintide 1, I would agree. As it is it is you can finish 99.9% of the map with any given group's loadout and then get destroyed because the final event on that particular map requires you to specifically have brought AP stuff. Even if you drop down, enemies do not stop spawning and if you can't kill things fast enough while also getting people up its just a matter of how fast you want to fail.

I don't think I've completed that event with pubbies once on Legend and now I just skip the map because its just 20 minutes of good times followed by a swift kick in the balls with no reward to show for it.

My gut reaction to this is that if your team somehow doesn't have AP at all, it deserves to fail, but this is coming from someone with well over 1,000 hours in the game who has min-maxed every single class to his liking. For random players who are just doing Legend QP's for a bit, yeah, it's overtuned.

The big problem is that they put in a huge difficulty spike right at the end, so when teams predictably fail there, it leaves a sour taste in their mouths. It's suboptimal design.

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

I've been playing this again since the balance patch dropped and made my first forays into Legend. Honestly the transition from Champion wasn't as bad as I expected, though that may be the good fortune I've had in quickplay with getting some truly expert pubbies. My boi Saltzpyre taking his rapier and brace of pistols to the next (red) level!

I'd generally recommend people try going up a difficulty level, even if just to try it out. Yes, the game itself will be significantly more difficult, but also your teammates will be more competent by about the same degree. It holds true all the way up to Cataclysm - yes, obviously it's balls hard and I'll never play on Cata if I just want to chill a bit, but also you will barely get any YOLO speedrunners, or people who think tagging enemies and killing specials is optional, simply because you can no longer get away with that sort of thing.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 3, 2020

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wtf is the difference between Mainstay and Assassin? Descriptions make no sense to me

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Fishstick posted:

As it is it is you can finish 99.9% of the map with any given group's loadout and then get destroyed because the final event on that particular map requires you to specifically have brought AP stuff.

There aren't any armored enemies in the game that are completely invulnerable to non-AP weapons, but it does require people to break from their immediate strat and adjust if they don't have the tools/knowledge of weapon attack options to deal with them. AFAIK there aren't any weapons in the game that deal 0 damage to Chaos Warrior heads even with the weakest attack, so it becomes a matter of either clearing enemies around them then handling them yourself, or communicating to a teammate once you've drawn aggro to use their AP attacks to deal with it.

The dagger on Sienna, as an example, does functionally nothing against armor outside of the heavy attacks, and the first attack of the 2-hit heavy chain does literally 0 damage against everything, it just lights enemies on fire and staggers like a shield bash. BUT, the second attack has full AP, so solo-ing Chaos Warriors becomes applying the DoT, staggering/whiffing with the first part of the combo, then using the second attack against the head to handle it as quickly as possible. It's slower than Shade dual dagger backstab, but not by much as long as you know where to land your hits or you call out for someone better equipped.

Alternatively, if I have the crowbill equipped on Sienna, I literally just left click rapidly until they die. I'm significantly--like, SIGNIFICANTLY--worse against hordes, but that's the trade. Not better, just different.

Edit: The other thing that I notice with pubbies/newbies on Legend+ that turns it into a struggle, besides Specials which is the majority of the wipes, is how they handle Dodging. If there are enemies nearby and functionally all of your movement is via dodges you are going to take unnecessary damage and, most of the time, just straight up die. This is true for literally every career besides Ironbreaker, and your max dodge cap for whatever weapon you're using doesn't matter.

Getting in the habit of dodging 99% of the time then getting a feel for how long you need to reset your dodge limit makes hordes go from requiring full focus to muscle memory. I recommend rebinding your dodge to a different button than jump--I use shift. My buddies don't change it, but I found it easier to pay attention if I was using a different key, and stopped dying because I'd accidentally jump forward.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 18, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alternatively, just use her flail and there are basically no downsides as long as you have a good feel for when to occasionally pause your frantic clicking to block and/or push

e: yeah, after so many hours of playing this game, I've finally bound dodge and jump to different keys myself, quite recently in fact. In my case, shift is jump, space is dodge (because I use it so much more often). It takes a while to get used to, especially since space is jump in so many other games, but I'm pretty sure it'll pay off once it's fully internalized as muscle memory.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 18, 2020

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Phlegmish posted:

Alternatively, just use her flail and there are basically no downsides as long as you have a good feel for when to occasionally pause your frantic clicking to block and/or push

Please stop I am a dagger purist and the flail being universally her best weapon causes me physical pain.

But yeah, her flail handles both hordes and elites combined better than most other weapons, aside from dagger being one of the best weapons of any character against hordes and crowbill allowing you to left click your way through patrols without letting go of W. Just push attack for hordes and heavy for elites and you'll be fine.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I use three different weapons on my three Siennas, and I have to say flail sticks out in a good way (although of course it helps that I'm using her on my Unchained specifically). It's just the best all-rounder, in my opinion. Crowbill is really unique and fun to use, but if you're facing off against a horde by yourself, you'd better be on top of things or you're going down. Mace is similar to crowbill, just somewhat less effective against armor, and somewhat more effective against hordes, as the push attack actually has decent cleave.

I tried dagger on my BW for a while, and it's really fun to use against hordes, but I just couldn't get over how useless it is against armor. Yes, if you have insane combo control and the ability to land headshots at will, you can make it work, but I was getting frustrated playing alongside classes capable of deleting elites by pressing a button. I need a minimum of versatility regardless of class, even if I actually trusted pubbies, which is a bad idea.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Phlegmish posted:

I tried dagger on my BW for a while, and it's really fun to use against hordes, but I just couldn't get over how useless it is against armor. Yes, if you have insane combo control and the ability to land headshots at will, you can make it work, but I was getting frustrated playing alongside classes capable of deleting elites by pressing a button. I need a minimum of versatility regardless of class, even if I actually trusted pubbies, which is a bad idea.

Most of my playtime has been using dagger on Unchained, but BW in particular is neat in that if you don't go HARD in staves your dagger is literally loving useless against anything other than non-elites--which also requires that you have good traits on it, otherwise if you're against non-rats you're Big hosed(TM). BUT, the first part of the heavy combo is insanely strong when it comes to staggering huge amounts of dudes, so getting your DoT on and playing keep away can make it work.

Or just use Fireball staff and spam the charged attack at minimum charge, which works better. Or just use flail/crowbill and pick a staff that can handle hordes. Basically IMO dagger is Unchained's best weapon by a lot because of how the damage buff on overcharge works but drops off considerably if you use staves for anything other than getting high charge or sniping specials.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I freakin' love the fireball staff. I'd combine flail with fireball staff on my Unchained if I truly wanted to be as OP as possible, but I'm hesitant since Fatshark would get reports about me killing every enemy on every map, even enemies on servers that I'm not even playing on, and nerfs would be incoming.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I freakin' love the fireball staff. I'd combine flail with fireball staff on my Unchained if I truly wanted to be as OP as possible, but I'm hesitant since Fatshark would get reports about me killing every enemy on every map, even enemies on servers that I'm not even playing on, and nerfs would be incoming.

I'm bad so I'm running this on Unchained right now and its a ton of fun! I feel much more deadly than a BW and with swift strikes I feel like I'm basically able to destroy everything in sight with few, if any, issues, giving myself temp health to vent continuously while hitting multiple enemies and destroying armored baddies with overhead shots. No downsides basically.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Swift Slaying? Yeah, I have that on nearly every class, it's just too good to leave by the wayside.

If you enjoy going completely apeshit in this game (I certainly do), roll crit chance + attack speed on your flail, and try to get attack speed and crit chance wherever else you can. The crit chance means SS will proc all the time, and that attack speed comes on top of the attack speed boost from your equipment. She'll be like a whirlwind.

Only thing to watch out for other than the overcharge management is that flail doesn't have great stagger (except the heavy attack), so against the tougher enemies you need to know when to stop the whirldwind for a second and block.

e: fireball also does a ton of team damage, you should mainly be using it in certain situations, when the way is clear (be especially hesitant in tight corridors) or when there's a tightly packed horde incoming and you can get a good vantage point. It's just like with elf, there are no truly 'ranged' classes in this game (even Huntsman), there are just idiots who think they have to shoot every little thing they see.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 16, 2020

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

e: fireball also does a ton of team damage, you should mainly be using it in certain situations, when the way is clear (be especially hesitant in tight corridors) or when there's a tightly packed horde incoming and you can get a good vantage point. It's just like with elf, there are no truly 'ranged' classes in this game (even Huntsman), there are just idiots who think they have to shoot every little thing they see.

I'm finding that out the hard way, but playing in Champ is a great way to mitigate it. I actually feel like I'm tearing up hordes though, which is much more fun than being a weird poke-y Sienna. Mostly just having issues dealing with Plague Vermin/gunners and then overheating from the damage if I don't have sufficient block power. But now really my main problem is getting through all the XP bars so I can see my green circles :gritin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Berserker type enemies are really dangerous because they're almost impossible to stagger. When you see them coming, your best bet is to just block and dodge. If they're going after you, continue blocking and wait for teammates to take them out. If they're not, you should be the teammate taking them out.