Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
ok so he beat blue dad. lets see suzuki take on a REAL grandmaster :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yes sir Mr. Suzuki sir whatever you're saying sir

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1289163807789420544?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edit: Beaten

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This is how you cut a loving promo

I’m getting some of the words here and there but don’t understand everything he’s saying but I also understand exactly what he’s saying

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Age told Minoru Suzuki it was time to retire so he tore its leg off and beat it to death with it

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1289164136316690432?s=20

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1289164264331067395?s=20

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

extradite THIS! posted:

This is how you cut a loving promo

I’m getting some of the words here and there but don’t understand everything he’s saying but I also understand exactly what he’s saying

unironically watching njpw has helped me, a cuban, learn better japanese than i've attempted to learn spanish my entire life

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

suzuki should be the guy to dethrone shingo takagi after he beats EVIL for the iwgp championship at the new beginning next year

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

those of you who have been to korakuen, crowd aside how difficult is it to exit, compared to the grand ballroom in the manhattan center?

e: four straight days of njpw next week im so excited

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Also pour one out for the original Black Tiger, Mark Rocco, who has died.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

those of you who have been to korakuen, crowd aside how difficult is it to exit, compared to the grand ballroom in the manhattan center?

e: four straight days of njpw next week im so excited

No idea about Manhattan but Korakuen is somewhat weirdly located in that you have to take an elevator to get there.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

extradite THIS! posted:

No idea about Manhattan but Korakuen is somewhat weirdly located in that you have to take an elevator to get there.

:stare:

You mean you've never taken the amazing Korakuen staircase covered in a bunch of wrestlescribbles?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Tonfa posted:

:stare:

You mean you've never taken the amazing Korakuen staircase covered in a bunch of wrestlescribbles?

I uh can’t remember? I might have. Only been there for two shows and I know I took the elevator at least one time

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Observer notes:

They hope Ospreay will be able to come back for the G1
They don't think Moxley will be back anytime soon, between AEW and the mandatory self-quarantine if he's able to travel; no plans to strip him of the US title
No plans to strip RPG3K of the junior tag titles either despite Yoh being done for the year
Hiromu's legit hurt with the shoulder injury, the Ishimori segment was done soon after they found out so they could have him rest up; he's expected to be able to return for the defense at Jingu at the end of next month

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I know it's an inevitability but god I don't want to see Billy making GBS threads up the shows.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tonfa posted:

I know it's an inevitability but god I don't want to see Billy making GBS threads up the shows.
No, we're not doing Ospreay Was Never Good for fucksake. He was one of the best wrestlers in the world last year, consistently. Bad person? Sure, what he did to Pollyanna is indefensible. Still an utterly incredible wrestling & if you're coming off watching the completely forgettable cards the last month & don't think he will improve things you're delusional.

Right now New Japan's roster has about half the strength of usual. I genuinely enjoy All Japan undercards more than the completely forgettable New Japan stuff. The only thing that matters on cards is Nagata Suzuki, LIJ/EVIL, & I dunno, apparently something happened in the Golden Aces team? There's so little to be invested in. Will Ospreay coming back at least has the potential for something more interesting to happen. And with the quality of the EVIL title matches so far I don't think it's unfair to say that excluding Wrestle Kingdom the 2AW Openweight title has featured better matches this year than the IWGP HW belt.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 31, 2020

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

forkboy84 posted:

No, we're not doing Ospreay Was Never Good for fucksake. He was one of the best wrestlers in the world last year, consistently. Bad person? Sure, what he did to Pollyanna is indefensible. Still an utterly incredible wrestling & if you're coming off watching the completely forgettable cards the last month & don't think he will improve things you're delusional.

I've been consistent on this going back years

He's undeniably physically gifted, marvelously so, and can mechanically execute moves with the best of them. Some of his matches are undeniably great.

However that is not necessarily what makes a wrestler I want to watch. He's been one of the most unlikable faces in the business for the past few years. When he's doing BOSJ he goes on about the pride of the junior division and elevating them. Then next tour he's a heavyweight now. Then he's the most dangerous striker in the world. Then he's a junior again. Nothing he says or does stands for anything, he's just an empty shell racking up accolades. I would much much rather have just about any roster member I can cheer for in his slot than this utterly unsympatethic guy.

tl;dr: there is more to wrestling than star ratings and spreadsheets

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 31, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yes, better to have Yujiro in singles matches that drive you into a coma such is the roster depth than the guy that had out of this world Best of the Super Juniors & G1 tournaments last year.

Sure, of course there's more to wrestling than just the match quality. But it's a pretty big part of the equation. Especially at a time when the roster is so thin that Yujiro is in a singles program. I don't want to pick on him but he's one of the most uninteresting wrestlers in the world. Right now, right here, Summer Struggle 2020 is a tour below World Tag League for interest. The notion that Will Ospreay doesn't improve things just by being thrown into a program with Shingo for the NEVER Openweight belt or has a CHAOS tag team with Ishii or Okada to challenge Dangerous Tekkers isn't a clear upgrade on what we've got right now is laughable unless you're saying Will Ospreay is worse at wrestling than Yujiro Takahashi. Which, I mean, it's an opinion, go off king. But it's not an opinion I find easy to take seriously.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 31, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

holy poo poo just let someone not like something.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

holy poo poo just let someone not like something.

I am sorry for having a discussion on a discussion forum.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

While we're on the subject of not liking something: if Ricochet were made available tomorrow, I would under no circumstances want him back in New Japan

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I would love Ricochet in new Japan, esp in the g1 climax

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

To answer the question: Will Ospreay is better at having a wrestling match than Yujiro Takahashi but his wrestling matches are far, far less interesting to watch. "Can the guy who has degraded for the past six years while showing occasional flashes of still having it, but is now several steps slower and clumsier than his peers, still make it back to what made him an exciting prospect?" is a storyline I'm fascinated to see unfold and tune in to.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chris James 2 posted:

While we're on the subject of not liking something: if Ricochet were made available tomorrow, I would under no circumstances want him back in New Japan

If Ricochet ever leaves the Fed everyone will remember he's actually incredible about 3 minutes into his first match

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/s5refVv7QASzay1ZNbuZSVqZRxp_6xTrt4iXFi2DdMs/https/i.imgur.com/NFSZfc3.mp4

Tana u ok hun?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Ricochet vs Wato.....

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'm finished catching up with the thread and show. Misu/Nagata was fantastic as expected, they've been great together longer since i've been watching.

The parts that stuck however were both from the 10 man tag. I absolutely loved when Tana got thrown into the Suzuki-gun corner and all 5 men immediately starting choking him, such great team work. I love when we get the entire BC roster out supporting their boy, but but SZKG are supporting each other at all times and it's incredibly heartwarming. Also post match when Kota is crouched down next to Tana in disappointment. He's surpassed his god, and he doesn't know how to deal with it.

To add to the more recent conversation, definitely Yuj > Billy, though I remember enjoying his match with Archer in the last G1 quite a bit

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Tonfa posted:

To answer the question: Will Ospreay is better at having a wrestling match than Yujiro Takahashi but his wrestling matches are far, far less interesting to watch. "Can the guy who has degraded for the past six years while showing occasional flashes of still having it, but is now several steps slower and clumsier than his peers, still make it back to what made him an exciting prospect?" is a storyline I'm fascinated to see unfold and tune in to.

Lol

SG Bamboo posted:

To add to the more recent conversation, definitely Yuj > Billy, though I remember enjoying his match with Archer in the last G1 quite a bit

Lol

You guys have the spiciest opinions some times, which I'm here for. Glad there are people out here enjoying The Tokyo Pimps.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ospreay is a shithead but pretending he's a worse wrestler than Yujiro is some deep fried brainworms

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Strawberry Panda posted:

Glad there are people out here enjoying The Tokyo Pimps.

Absolutely, Yuj always seems like he's having a way better time than his opponents are, he loves being a skeezy weirdo.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

SG Bamboo posted:

Absolutely, Yuj always seems like he's having a way better time than his opponents are, he loves being a skeezy weirdo.

He also looks like he’s having a way better time than the audience watching his loving matches

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

extradite THIS! posted:

He also looks like he’s having a way better time than the audience watching his loving matches

Not hard tbf

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
As someone who gets accused of having spicy opinions a lot of the time i can safely say those trying to convince themselves that Yujiro matches are better than Ospreay matches are at absolute best trolling and at absolute worst dumb as rocks ideologues.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Why are all wrestling discussion communities so deeply loving tedious

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Will is a great wrestler in terms of mechanics but not a guy who can emotionally carry a match for me. I'll watch Hiromu take him on any day because Hiromu is a great character wrestler, but when it's Ospreay doing an Ospreay match where he does his impressive flips and there's no other hook to it, I tune out.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I Before E posted:

Will is a great wrestler in terms of mechanics but not a guy who can emotionally carry a match for me. I'll watch Hiromu take him on any day because Hiromu is a great character wrestler, but when it's Ospreay doing an Ospreay match where he does his impressive flips and there's no other hook to it, I tune out.

My favourite Ospreay match ever was vs Jimmy Havoc at Progress Ch 41 because it had a simple story Will could play into. He hadn't won a match in Progress the whole of 2016 and Havoc, who had tormented him years ago, had recently returned from a knee injury and was getting strong fan support. The whole match is Will's frustrations boiling over and I think he does really well to sell it in that match.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Suzuki's promo made me mad and I want a rubber match in Jingu where Blue Justice kills the weak old man. :mad:

Chris James 2 posted:

Observer notes:

They hope Ospreay will be able to come back for the G1
They don't think Moxley will be back anytime soon, between AEW and the mandatory self-quarantine if he's able to travel; no plans to strip him of the US title
No plans to strip RPG3K of the junior tag titles either despite Yoh being done for the year
Hiromu's legit hurt with the shoulder injury, the Ishimori segment was done soon after they found out so they could have him rest up; he's expected to be able to return for the defense at Jingu at the end of next month

Moxley is understandable but uh, boy, that's a head-scratcher on the Jr. tag titles.

Chris James 2 posted:

Sir, I will not stand for this Funky Future slander.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 31, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MJeff posted:

Moxley is understandable but uh, boy, that's a head-scratcher on the Jr. tag titles.

Not enough teams for a division anyway so might as well use it as a prop to make SHO look cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Not enough teams for a division anyway so might as well use it as a prop to make SHO look cool

You could have Wato & Taguchi, Uemura & Kidd, Despy & Kanemaru or Douki & Kanemaru, Bushi & Hiromu, Ishimori & Togo. There's not a lot of teams but right now it's enough. A big complaint I have right now is that there's very little of interest on most of these cards, it's just wrestling for the sake of it because we've got to fill up the undercards. The Junior Tag belts would be a useful enough thing to just throw some meaning out there. You could bring in a couple of teams of freelancers to fill the numbers & do an 8 team knockout tournament to crown a new champ to at least have something meaningful on some of these August Korakuens, and along the way you could have LIJ lose to BC to further the build to Hiromu vs Ishimori at the baseball stadium, rather than endless multiman tags.

At a time when the US title is out of play, the IC title is attached to the HW & the NEVER 6 Man belts are just in this weird limbo I really don't think they can afford to wait the many months until Yoh recovers.

Tonfa posted:

This is interesting because as someone who only started watching regularly after WK 12 I've not got that investment in Yujiro, he's impossible to think of as once being an exciting prospect. I don't think I've seen more than maybe 2 No Limit matches, just hard to envisage him as anything but the second least interesting Bullet Club member after Bone Soldier (& yes I'm including Jeff Jarrett here).

Where as with Billy Brexit I find "how can he hack it as a full-time Heavyweight" a compelling story & even "if he was to go back to Junior Heavyweight has his additional mass slowed him down too much to be able to stay on the level of a Hiromu" is a significantly more interesting question (to me) than anything related to Yujiro. But I can at least understand where you're coming from now so thanks for the explanation.