Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm not trying to flex or anything but I didn't find that fight to be difficult. It took maybe 5 tries?

Now O+S was a three hour ordeal...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only problem with the switch version is the muffled sound effects. It plays and looks good

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Goddamn I miss playing Dark Souls.

How's the Switch port?

I have Dark Souls on PS3, 360, PC, and Switch.

The Switch version is my favorite because I have no patience for being tethered to a television or computer monitor anymore.

It plays great and I think it looks great. I picked it up at the start of the pandemic in March and quickly racked up 50 hours on a single run. It was the first time I played it since it initially released on PC back in 2012.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The advantage/disadvantage of the Switch port is if you play offline you can turn it off and on at ease. If you want to benefit from the online scene you can't do sleep mode that easily.

O+S was my hill especially as I wanted to finish the fight with Ornstein. I would gather about 10K souls on the way to the fight fighting the silver knights/Iron Golems and use that to upgrade whatever and then tackle them eventually beating them.

The boss that I beat super easily, but this was in Hollow Knight, was the Mantis King which a lot of people seem to have trouble with. If I didn't beat him on my first go it was definitely my second. I never bothered with NKG though, that just felt annoying and I actually preferred the ending the other way around.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My favorite boss in the series. What a fight.

I concur.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ornstein and smough was the boss that made me set the game aside for a couple of days on my first play. coupla real tough bastards and the guys on the way are no slouch either if you're playing offline

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Inzombiac posted:

I'm not trying to flex or anything but I didn't find that fight to be difficult. It took maybe 5 tries?

Now O+S was a three hour ordeal...

I thought Pontiff Sulyvahn was a lot hard, god gently caress that guy

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Papercut posted:

I thought Pontiff Sulyvahn was a lot hard, god gently caress that guy

I also had a gently caress of a time with him until someone mentioned that he's extremely easy to parry, like Gwynn.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I also had a gently caress of a time with him until someone mentioned that he's extremely easy to parry, like Gwynn.

I have played like 500 hours of Dark Souls and literally never even tried to learn to parry, so that would explain it yep lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Papercut posted:

I have played like 500 hours of Dark Souls and literally never even tried to learn to parry, so that would explain it yep lol

Haha, it took me a long time as well because I was too busy finding the biggest stick and smashing things.

You can get a target shield super early and that's basically all you need. It opens a whole world of dumb bullshittery.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Papercut posted:

I never bear Dark Souls because I got to the point where I could go fight Gwyn and then hit a wall at him and just quit.

Going around and asking for help just let to smug posts of "get good" and "he's easy just parry"

I love the Souls games but the boss fights are not my jam and actively turn me off the games for them expecting me to be better than I am

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Which is a funnier joke:

Banjo Kagura
or
Senran Kazooie?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The boss that I beat super easily, but this was in Hollow Knight, was the Mantis King which a lot of people seem to have trouble with. If I didn't beat him on my first go it was definitely my second. I never bothered with NKG though, that just felt annoying and I actually preferred the ending the other way around.

What is the Mantis King?

You mean Grimm?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

RCarr posted:

What is the Mantis King?

You mean Grimm?

think they mean the traitor lord

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

RCarr posted:

What is the Mantis King?

probably this guy

e: :ninja:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Len posted:

I never bear Dark Souls because I got to the point where I could go fight Gwyn and then hit a wall at him and just quit.

Going around and asking for help just let to smug posts of "get good" and "he's easy just parry"

I love the Souls games but the boss fights are not my jam and actively turn me off the games for them expecting me to be better than I am

I ended up beating Gwyn by accidentally finding out an easy way to stunlock him with Pyromancy so he went down like a chump after I got frustrated and stopped trying to beat him 'legit'

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I hope Nintendo ships a billion Animal Crossing Switch consoles to the US and ruins the market for all the people hoarding them

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I hope Nintendo ships a billion Animal Crossing Switch consoles to the US and ruins the market for all the people hoarding them

This but for K.K. Slider Amiibo (non-pirated).

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Which is a funnier joke:

Banjo Kagura
or
Senran Kazooie?

Senran Kazooie. No question.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Weedle posted:

ornstein and smough was the boss that made me set the game aside for a couple of days on my first play. coupla real tough bastards and the guys on the way are no slouch either if you're playing offline

Is the game easier online? I did the whole thing offline once I realized I could more easily go into sleep mode.

Len posted:

By the time I got to Gwyn I really wanted to burn some things, so even if it wasn't what my med. armor halberd user was all about, I decided to grind a bit and level up my pyromancy. He fell pretty easily when I used some of those spells along with my general tactics.

Though goes without saying if you power level and not even outrageously you can give yourself a nice amount of breathing room. There's a painting that's good for this. People say the game is about getting good, and sure that's a part of it but it definitely allows itself to be beaten.

This idea actually, of difficulty in a game, is pretty interesting when it comes to game design since Video Games are meant to be completed. They can never be so complicated that people can't finish them. If you can't finish it then you won't play it. It really sets them apart from other sort of games that are definitely far more competitive since they tend to pit you against other real players.

romanowski posted:

think they mean the traitor lord

That's the one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Takoluka posted:

Senran Kazooie. No question.

I don't know what this is in reference to, but I guessed Dark Souls. I tried my own, and the best I can do is Solario, the third Mario brother.

Edit: ok, it's not a DS reference. Welp.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dark Souls is really easy to break over your knee. It's only difficult at the beginning when you're resource scarce or if you intentionally limit yourself later on.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is the game easier online? I did the whole thing offline once I realized I could more easily go into sleep mode.

not inherently but for o&s the only npc summon sign is in the antechamber with the two huge sentries that heal each other and the archer with dragonslayer arrows. so you basically have to clear it out before you summon or solaire will get caught up with the enemies and not go through the fog gate with you. if you're playing online you can just summon someone near one of the bonfires and have them help you clear it out, but the only way i could reliably do it solo was to plink the giants with arrows to the dome

i'm like you in that i play offline pretty much 100% of the time so i can put the console to sleep whenever i want. this means i spend a lot of time shooting guys in the head from a distance rather than taking them head on

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

As someone who has an Animal Crossing Switch, I totally agree. Everyone should be able to get whatever color console they want, limited edition stuff just makes it into a commodity instead of a resource.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Len posted:

I’m pretty average at games, but when I started treating boss fights like a puzzle-dance, they became much easier. You use the first few (hundred) failed attempts to learn the bosses moves, and once you recognize what they look like, you then figure out how best to avoid each attack (range/parry/dodge). I never parry, as I suck at the timing. The dance part is getting a hit or 3 in when the boss has finished their move, or is vulnerable.
I’ve finished Dark Souls 2 and 3 that way. I even beat the ancient dragon in DS2 (took me a hella long time though).

For me, learning how to do that helped me move slightly closer to the “get gud” level.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I beat O+S on my first try. Summoned Solaire (I think? Summoned someone) and the guy just tanked every hit while I wailed on the nearest bad guy. Was pretty awesome. Never want to try again.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Len posted:

Just run around the pillar in his arena, have him attack, punish, and then repeat. There's nothing wrong with cheesing a Dark Souls boss fight. Some are actually intended to be defeated as such.

Gunstav
Nov 27, 2006
My joycon's been drifting for a while. I was thinking about buying the part and repairing myself, but ultimately decided to spend the money on a Pro controller instead. However, right out of the box, the Pro controller drifts. Is Nintendo quality really this bad? Or am I just unlucky?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Are you sure it's actual drift and not some sort of bluetooth interference? While it's not impossible for it to drift immediately out of the box, it's not a known issue with the controller and the parts used are completely different from the Joycon issue. Swap it for another from the store you bought it at if the problem persists.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gunstav posted:

My joycon's been drifting for a while. I was thinking about buying the part and repairing myself, but ultimately decided to spend the money on a Pro controller instead. However, right out of the box, the Pro controller drifts. Is Nintendo quality really this bad? Or am I just unlucky?

Super dumb question, but I have to eliminate the obvious... Did you both update and calibrate it?

Morpheus posted:

I beat O+S on my first try. Summoned Solaire (I think? Summoned someone) and the guy just tanked every hit while I wailed on the nearest bad guy. Was pretty awesome. Never want to try again.

This was my experience, too, a whole... Holy poo poo, 7 years ago :corsair:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Ys 8 is really fun! I highly recommend picking it up when it goes on sale.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Really glad I went back and tried out TOME again before getting Tangledeep. There's so much I love about that game, but I'm discovering I do not have the patience to carefully creep around to be sure not everything can gently caress me up at any given step. Granted I guess that depends on your class and gear, but generally speaking you need to be super cautious in these games and I don't know if I have the patience anymore.

Gunstav
Nov 27, 2006
First thing I did was update and calibrate the Pro controller. I've not had any bluetooth trouble with my joycon or SN30 pro. I'll try returning and seeing if it's certainly an issue with the controller.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yugioh is bullshit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Yugioh is bullshit

Have you tried shooting the moon?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Really glad I went back and tried out TOME again before getting Tangledeep. There's so much I love about that game, but I'm discovering I do not have the patience to carefully creep around to be sure not everything can gently caress me up at any given step. Granted I guess that depends on your class and gear, but generally speaking you need to be super cautious in these games and I don't know if I have the patience anymore.

I've lost the patience for PC roguelikes. Most of the ones I used to play are on some grand scale making the beginning portion of the game long and boring. Hell even late game like Nethack is tedious trash. Also my wrists are starting to kill me if I'm at a keyboard for a long time which is why playing a Mystery Dungeon style game is way more comfy. Check out Tangledeep when it's on sale though and consider turning the permadeath feature off for your first time through to check things out. It suffers from the rough beginning too but at least controls are good.

Just need to wait for Shiren 5.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

Have you tried shooting the moon?

Yeah that was one of the early duels. And also he didn't shoot the moon. He had his stone giant cut the moon.

He shot the levitation ring on the castle of dark illusion. Jeez

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Man I've been really excited about Moon ever since I learned what it was after people figured out Petscop was vaguely inspired by it. Sounds like a really fun concept

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

lets hang out posted:

If you're interested he's got a couple other games on Switch: BLACK BIRD and Dandy Dungeon. They're both wonderfully charming and bizarre. And if you've got a PS2 or PS3 sitting around, or a PC to emulate it with, Chulip is an absolute classic.

Holy poo poo, I just thought Onion Games was a company that did some fun and goofy phone games and then Black Bird on Switch, I didn't know they had such a huge pedigree behind them. Gonna check out Dandy Dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Finally started using my Ring Fit and it’s honestly really helping with my cabin fever and missing the gym. The game is great about keeping you centered with music and compliments.