Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What purpose is there in constructing a bridge made of light instead of... a bridge? A retractable bridge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

chaosapiant posted:

I’m about a third or halfway through Halo 3, and it’s super fun, but didn’t (yet anyway) have the sense of majesty and grandeur that Halo 2 had. Of all I’ve played, I like Halo 2 the most.

I also like that the games continually balance you playing a John McClane badass, but so far as to make you do everything alone. You’re often with some buddies and they pull that off really well, with the exception of having them drive.

Playing these games makes me really wish Halo 5 will come to PC, because I hate not being able to complete a series. And since I’m new to the series and not invested over years, I’m looking forward to see how Halo 4 plays out.

I'm almost certain they'll announce an H5 port once 4 hits the MCC. It would just be too bizarre to have H1-4, plus Infinite all on PC then just a gaping hole where 5 should be.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It might happen, but given the antipathy Halo 5 was met with at lauch, they're probably not going to rush to it.

New blog post on Waypoint answers some questions about Infinite. To summarise the non-fluffy stuff:

• Gameplay demo build was "a few weeks" old, not the months people were speculating. 343 are still working on visual polish and agree with a lot of the criticism, specifically pointing out Digital Foundry's commentary.
  • Multiplayer test flight may not happen due to work-from-home messing up a lot of schedules.
  • Heavily reduced instadeath/"return to battlefield" zones to encourage exploration of the world.
  • Co-op is confirmed and will support 2 player splitscreen and four player online. LAN play is present and accounted for.
  • Grappling hook is an equipment pickup in multiplayer.
  • 4k60fps is target on Xbox Series X. PC players will have the usual customization options.
  • No real-money loot boxes.
  • Forge will have undo/redo!

A proper MCC dev update will come tomorrow, but for now they've dropped the crumb that ODST is in early testing and they're hoping to do the public test flight in August.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

jokes posted:

It's because, like Halsey, she's manipulating everyone and everything around them at all times. And MC, like the player, is stupid as gently caress and falls for it.

It would be nice if the games actually made this manipulation clear in 4 of 5 or something. I vaguely remember the plot of those games but it was mainly Cortana goes nuts rather than Cortana was self serving IIRC.

Of course Microsoft named their Windows 10 'assistant' after her, so...

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I'm glad 343 fixed their awful master chief redesigns and made his mjolnir suit actually look cool for infinite

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

finished all the campaigns twice now, so all done on Legendary. I guess my rankings are from fave to least fave:

Reach
Halo CE
H3
H2
ODST
H4

I've heard the plot of the Spartan Ops campaign is actually decent, or at least gives a lot more context to H4s plot, so maybe once I charge through them I'll be more generous to it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Strelok604 posted:

I'm glad 343 fixed their awful master chief redesigns and made his mjolnir suit actually look cool for infinite

There's a whole new art director for Infinite (the same guy who ran Halo Wars 2) and if nothing else he understands what Halo should look like.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

There's a whole new art director for Infinite (the same guy who ran Halo Wars 2) and if nothing else he understands what Halo should look like.

I actually sort of like the big flat block coloring environments of infinite. it sort of has a weird vibe

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

jokes posted:

What purpose is there in constructing a bridge made of light instead of... a bridge? A retractable bridge?

My buddy would have a chance of safely getting off a retractable bridge that switches off while he's crossing it, light bridge doesn't have this flaw.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

PriorMarcus posted:

hairless brutes are a crime, tho in my headcanon the longneck starwars guys get the brutes to shave after replacing the elites with them cause they're just too hairy

but yeah the look has strong halo 1 vibes imo
shame 343 has never made a good game

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

was playing through halo 3 with some pals and it is very funny that everything has complex names like Prophet of Absolution or The Extirpator except the human characters who are all called John or Johnson

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
You don’t need no fancy names when you got big green style

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Is there a firm release date for 4/ODST on the MCC yet?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Is there a firm release date for 4/ODST on the MCC yet?
This year is as far as they're willing to commit, and even that might be a bit of a stretch with this year being this year. They're currently doing internal testing on ODST, if it goes well they'll do a public test flight next month.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m replaying Halo CEA again but using OG graphics and it’s so frustrating how the remastered graphics miss the mark for the most part. Some stuff looks really good, like the Assault Rifle and the Plasma Rifle (the Halo CE version of the latter being my favourite gun in the entire franchise). I find the remastered versions of Truth and Reconciliation, and for the most part Halo and the Silent Cartographer to be quite agreeable as well, and other chapters come off quite well even if they’re a bit too bright

But everything is so, I don’t know, overdetailed? Like there is so much added geometry and texturing it completely deviates from the original vision, especially Forerunner ruins. Like in Halo, those structures that fire plasma bolts up into the sky - in the original they’re these mysterious metallic/slate monoliths. Remastered they’re ugly glowy textured monstrosities. The control room in Halo 3 was a better remaster than the remastered control room area in Halo CEA is.

They went ahead and made all these changes because the power of the Xbox 360 meant they could, but they didn’t stop to consider whether they should.

Credit where it’s due though, it’s great they allow you to switch between the original and remastered graphics at any point.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Like there is so much added geometry and texturing it completely deviates from the original vision, especially Forerunner ruins. Like in Halo, those structures that fire plasma bolts up into the sky - in the original they’re these mysterious metallic/slate monoliths. Remastered they’re ugly glowy textured monstrosities. The control room in Halo 3 was a better remaster than the remastered control room area in Halo CEA is.

agree with this a lot. the gigantic blank panels are way more ominous and mysterious than a wall lit up like a christmas tree

also the misaligned geometry means you pretty much have to do LASO on the og graphics. which is fine cuz honeestly they are fun

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
Among other things, it annoys me that they used the models of the UNSC soldiers from Reach for marines in Anniversary instead of using the actual (pretty cool looking) marines from Reach.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’m replaying Halo CEA again but using OG graphics and it’s so frustrating how the remastered graphics miss the mark for the most part. Some stuff looks really good, like the Assault Rifle and the Plasma Rifle (the Halo CE version of the latter being my favourite gun in the entire franchise). I find the remastered versions of Truth and Reconciliation, and for the most part Halo and the Silent Cartographer to be quite agreeable as well, and other chapters come off quite well even if they’re a bit too bright

But everything is so, I don’t know, overdetailed? Like there is so much added geometry and texturing it completely deviates from the original vision, especially Forerunner ruins. Like in Halo, those structures that fire plasma bolts up into the sky - in the original they’re these mysterious metallic/slate monoliths. Remastered they’re ugly glowy textured monstrosities. The control room in Halo 3 was a better remaster than the remastered control room area in Halo CEA is.

They went ahead and made all these changes because the power of the Xbox 360 meant they could, but they didn’t stop to consider whether they should.

Credit where it’s due though, it’s great they allow you to switch between the original and remastered graphics at any point.

This is a good post. Halo and Silent Cartographer looked great with the remaster graphics. I also really enjoyed the remastered weapons.

But levels like 343 Guilty Spark are a loving atrocity.

It went from this spooky as gently caress level

To this Disco Nightclub monstrosity

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Acebuckeye13 posted:

lol I just finished watching it and was about to post it.

I couldn't believe the shocking revelation that the suit doesn't jack him off

Believe

that the suit jacks him off

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chaosapiant posted:

Playing these games makes me really wish Halo 5 will come to PC, because I hate not being able to complete a series. And since I’m new to the series and not invested over years, I’m looking forward to see how Halo 4 plays out.

Oh jeeze

Watch a lets play of 5 and you'll quickly realize you're fine not having it ported.

BisbyWorl posted:

I'm almost certain they'll announce an H5 port once 4 hits the MCC. It would just be too bizarre to have H1-4, plus Infinite all on PC then just a gaping hole where 5 should be.

5 is just SO bad though.

I can't see myself EVER playing 4 or 5 again. Even as a joke. They're just irredeemably awful from start to finish. Definitely won't pay :10bux: for them.

Communist Thoughts posted:

shame 343 has never made a good game

This is important to remember.

jokes posted:

Fewer moving parts, less maintenance?

If you've got the future hover bridge tech and you have plenty of energy, its kind of a "why not" situation. Probably faster?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 31, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

It might happen, but given the antipathy Halo 5 was met with at lauch, they're probably not going to rush to it.

New blog post on Waypoint answers some questions about Infinite. To summarise the non-fluffy stuff:

• Gameplay demo build was "a few weeks" old, not the months people were speculating. 343 are still working on visual polish and agree with a lot of the criticism, specifically pointing out Digital Foundry's commentary.
  • Multiplayer test flight may not happen due to work-from-home messing up a lot of schedules.
  • Heavily reduced instadeath/"return to battlefield" zones to encourage exploration of the world.
  • Co-op is confirmed and will support 2 player splitscreen and four player online. LAN play is present and accounted for.
  • Grappling hook is an equipment pickup in multiplayer.
  • 4k60fps is target on Xbox Series X. PC players will have the usual customization options.
  • No real-money loot boxes.
  • Forge will have undo/redo!

A proper MCC dev update will come tomorrow, but for now they've dropped the crumb that ODST is in early testing and they're hoping to do the public test flight in August.

This all comes across as last minute excuses. "oh its an old build, and we really appreciate the feedback so we can incorporate it!"
Corporate Translation: "Oh gently caress oh gently caress, we thought you guys would love that, UHHHHHHH don't panic, uhhhhhhhh we'll make it better we promise! Okay employees its crunch time we gotta redesign everything."

Honestly, like, of course its an old build, you polish an old build for a demo. That's how demos work. But the game COMES OUT IN LIKE 4 MONTHS? No loving way.

This game is going to launch in early access and be a joke. Its just not done. It needs another 1-2 years in the oven but Microsoft needs their launch title for Series X.

343i's leadership is so goddamned incompetent and I feel really bad for the guys in the trenches who are working hard and have to suffer for terrible decisions from on high.

PriorMarcus posted:

That explains why Infinite's aesthetic is so extremely close to Halo Wars.
That's literally the first thing I saw when I saw the trailer. Everything looks very Halo Wars. Very colorful. Not bad, but maybe a tiny bit too cartoony in some ways...
Also the inclusion of things like Condors, which were only in Halo Wars previously. Seems like they're pulling a lot from the Wars side.

Typical of 343i to base the story on things from other material that half the fans won't know. (But pulling from Halo Wars is way better than requiring you to read 2 books and 5 comics before the game)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 31, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Communist Thoughts posted:

hairless brutes are a crime, tho in my headcanon the longneck starwars guys get the brutes to shave after replacing the elites with them cause they're just too hairy
honestly I hate the hairy brutes from halo 2, I thought the ones from 3 were a huge upgrade. the OG halo 2 ones being ugly is excusable because of the models of the time but the halo community has decided that the halo 2 anniversary brutes are what brutes should look like and I'd really rather basically any other version than those grungy beards

like looking at this guy's beard just makes me want to get rid of it. it's like when someone hasn't showered in ages and their hair is so oily and gross that it's sticking together in clumps. it's so grody I fuckin hate looking at it

every halo redditor's "fix" for the infinite brutes involves basically making them look like this and I sure hope they don't listen to that line of criticism

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

honestly I hate the hairy brutes from halo 2, I thought the ones from 3 were a huge upgrade. the OG halo 2 ones being ugly is excusable because of the models of the time but the halo community has decided that the halo 2 anniversary brutes are what brutes should look like and I'd really rather basically any other version than those grungy beards

like looking at this guy's beard just makes me want to get rid of it. it's like when someone hasn't showered in ages and their hair is so oily and gross that it's sticking together in clumps. it's so grody I fuckin hate looking at it

every halo redditor's "fix" for the infinite brutes involves basically making them look like this and I sure hope they don't listen to that line of criticism

IDK That kinda works for a badguy. They've got like a Captain Blackbeard appaearance.

But I generally don't like brutes. Elites are so much cooler.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Personally I don't understand all the graphical criticism for Halo infinite. To me it just looked like the earlier Halos but with better graphics. I've seen some complaints that some of the stuff looks plasticy but imo all the Halos have had that look. The only thing I saw that bugged me about the engine graphics was the teeth on the brute at the end.

What disturbs me more is 343's design direction on weaponry, notably for human weapons. Halo always had these crazy cool but kind of weird impractical designs that are super sci-fi, even if they would probably be a bit impractical. 343's designs though always just seem super mundane and straight out of COD. I don't want rails and a red dot look alike on my space rifle. They even took the huge thing off the end of the pistol and made it look like a generic COD pistol.

The things that are of more concern to me are their design philosophies for the game and it's gameplay. Particularly the idea of open world. I don't want open world. The games that pull off open world based campaigns well are few and far between. Those that do the actual missions generally largely take place in non-open world, linear levels environments. Open world usually comes down to a bunch of missions that feel the same paired with a ton of filler content. For every game like GTA out there you have 20 games like Far Cry.

It also kind of bugs me that they show a warthog with only chief driving as part of the demo. One of the cool things about the bungie halo games was you were always part of something big. Pretty much anytime they gave you a warthog they gave you some dudes with it. It made the game feel more alive. I feel like they didn't capture that feeling very well with Halo 4, and it looks like they aren't going to capture that feeling again in infinite.

I think it would be cool if 5 eventually came to MCC although I heard the campaign was awful. Honestly I would just like to launch all my halo stuff from the same platform.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

TheGreySpectre posted:

Personally I don't understand all the graphical criticism for Halo infinite. To me it just looked like the earlier Halos but with better graphics. I've seen some complaints that some of the stuff looks plasticy but imo all the Halos have had that look. The only thing I saw that bugged me about the engine graphics was the teeth on the brute at the end.

Honestly I think the graphics are fine if the game's environments are as massive as they are advertising them to be. With minimal load times and smooth 60+FPS gameplay at 1080p/4K. Also like you said I dig the art direction going back to OG Halo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheGreySpectre posted:

You have to remember the context that this is the first we're seeing of Xbox Series X and MS is using Halo Infinite to tout its new graphics powerhouse.

This isn't just a current gen game, this is their flagship next-gen game. But it looks last-gen. That's the thing.

Its not like, completely hideous. Its just not anything we haven't seen before in ANY way.

Also, if you think this looks remotely acceptable, check out some video of Doom Eternal. It absolutely eats this for lunch and makes it look 3 generations old.

Like, Crysis 1 looked better than Halo Infinite does. Again, that's not the end of the world, and games like Team Fortress 2 showed that style > detail, but the point is this is MS big "check out how beefy our console is" example.

And it falls as flat as them announcing "4K GAMING! Check out....... 4K....... MINECRAFT!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheGreySpectre posted:

It also kind of bugs me that they show a warthog with only chief driving as part of the demo. One of the cool things about the bungie halo games was you were always part of something big. Pretty much anytime they gave you a warthog they gave you some dudes with it. It made the game feel more alive. I feel like they didn't capture that feeling very well with Halo 4, and it looks like they aren't going to capture that feeling again in infinite.

343 has never understood this and a goon talked about it just a couple pages ago.

The old games you were just one SPARTAN (one of hundreds?), who were tougher than marines, but you were just one guy on one ship that was one tiny part of the Human v Covenant war. You just happen to stumble on the Halo rings which have the potential to completely determine the end of the war / human race, so the stakes are high, but the whole time you're just this John McClane guy stuck in a lovely situation and kicking rear end against the odds.

In 4/5, you're THE CHOSEN ONE. Chief is ~ THE SPECIAL ~ and the only person of his caliber in the entire universe. Everything hinges on him saving humanity again and again. But even though he's infinitely more capable than everybody else and only he can save everything, the UNSC doesn't trust him or something? Its really stupid. Locke is his own flavor of ~CHOSEN ONE~ power ranger too.

Halo used to be military sci-fi. Now its just power fantasy.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

You have to remember the context that this is the first we're seeing of Xbox Series X and MS is using Halo Infinite to tout its new graphics powerhouse.

This isn't just a current gen game, this is their flagship next-gen game. But it looks last-gen. That's the thing.

Its not like, completely hideous. Its just not anything we haven't seen before in ANY way.

Also, if you think this looks remotely acceptable, check out some video of Doom Eternal. It absolutely eats this for lunch and makes it look 3 generations old.

Like, Crysis 1 looked better than Halo Infinite does. Again, that's not the end of the world, and games like Team Fortress 2 showed that style > detail, but the point is this is MS big "check out how beefy our console is" example.

And it falls as flat as them announcing "4K GAMING! Check out....... 4K....... MINECRAFT!"

I played through all of Doom Eternal. I guess I didn't feel it was miles better than what they showed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Turn off the remastered graphics

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MC is a dumb idiot who has a quantifiable advantage over everyone because he has "luck" which is the in-universe way of saying the writers of the universe want him to be special. This is later changed into making him better than everyone AND genetically superior and awesome and perfect which is just some dumb poo poo. The reason he's able to pull off crazy action movie poo poo is because he's lucky and highly trained and well equipped, not because of whatever other reason. And that's way cooler of an explanation than this space marine geneseed poo poo or whatever.

I think "luck" is also how he's able to just jump off a spaceship and into the atmosphere in 3. He just relies on the fact that things will work out for him, because they always do.

e: It also makes his cock-sure comments like "we'll make it" even funnier because he knows he has plot armor and he's not gonna die to a plane wreck or whatever.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 31, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh jeeze

Watch a lets play of 5 and you'll quickly realize you're fine not having it ported.

5 is just SO bad though.

I can't see myself EVER playing 4 or 5 again. Even as a joke. They're just irredeemably awful from start to finish. Definitely won't pay :10bux: for them.

4 is so good in a lot of ways, I think a quick edit on the Promethean stats would probably make it my favorite Halo campaign since the first. The worst part about the campaign is endlessly light rifling/BRing things in the head from yawn-inducing range.

I'd love to have 5 on PC. It's more Halo, and I'd like to check out the things it does right even if it was a failure on net.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

jokes posted:

MC is a dumb idiot who has a quantifiable advantage over everyone because he has "luck" which is the in-universe way of saying the writers of the universe want him to be special. This is later changed into making him better than everyone AND genetically superior and awesome and perfect which is just some dumb poo poo. The reason he's able to pull off crazy action movie poo poo is because he's lucky and highly trained and well equipped, not because of whatever other reason. And that's way cooler of an explanation than this space marine geneseed poo poo or whatever.

I think "luck" is also how he's able to just jump off a spaceship and into the atmosphere in 3. He just relies on the fact that things will work out for him, because they always do.

e: It also makes his cock-sure comments like "we'll make it" even funnier because he knows he has plot armor and he's not gonna die to a plane wreck or whatever.

The protagonist in Marathon could search through alternate realities to find the ones where he won, which was a cool meta acknowledgment of saving and loading games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheGreySpectre posted:

I played through all of Doom Eternal. I guess I didn't feel it was miles better than what they showed.

Yeah, Doom Eternal is a phenomenal looking game but that is on the art style and the dedication to optimizing the gently caress out of idTech 6 so it looks consistently great even as the screen is covered in chaotic particle effects and dozens of enemies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Turn off the remastered graphics

What? We're talking about Infinite.

:doh: what is context.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, Doom Eternal is a phenomenal looking game but that is on the art style and the dedication to optimizing the gently caress out of idTech 6 so it looks consistently great even as the screen is covered in chaotic particle effects and dozens of enemies.

I mean, yes?

"This game has good graphics, because the engine is good and the art style is good"

Like, of course? Lol. Halo should also have a good engine and a good art style, maybe?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

What? We're talking about Infinite.

The joke is that Halo 1 is three generations old from the Xbox One Series X or whatever they're calling the new one

e: :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If master chief is so cool and can single-handedly change the tide of everything, why was he chilling out in a space capsule for the whole time Reach happened?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FPzero posted:

If master chief is so cool and can single-handedly change the tide of everything, why was he chilling out in a space capsule for the whole time Reach happened?

Luck.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because he spent the whole time Reach was happening training for a false flag operation, suddenly the rest of the UNSC realized Reach hsd been under siege for a month, and he and Blue Team deployed to a ship that hadn't wiped its navigational drives before getting boarded by the Covenant. The other 23 Spartan IIs at the meeting deployed to the surface and all died.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Like, of course? Lol. Halo should also have a good engine and a good art style, maybe?

The art style of Halo is good. If they were to drastically change the style it wouldn't feel much like Halo anymore. Look at how there complaints over the Halo 4/5 suit designs which aren't even big departures from the bungie designs. The community would be in an uproar if you did a large art style change. There are even issues with engines, You could take Halo and put it ID tech, Unreal engine or cryengine and it wouldn't feel like Halo, because each of those engines has a unique look that deviates from how all prior halo games look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It retroactively bugs me that the Pillar of Autumn isn't taking potshots at anything in that level in Reach. Thanks for the help assholes