Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Finding out that Lovecraft had an explicit fear of both foreigners (this is in addition to his mindboggling-even-for-the-time racism) and seafood makes a lot of his monster designs make sense.

Same with Howard, who once wrote a Lovecraft-style creature of monstrous vile darkness capable of killing an entire city and then, during the final confrontation with Conan, gave it the face of a frog, a creature that exists only in the spectrum between "ugly because it's too cute" and "cute because it's too ugly."

OwlFancier posted:

There are actually a couple variations of that picture, it's the cossacks writing a letter to the sultan basically telling him to go suck a bag of dicks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks

The whole thing is extremely memeable.

Thank you for getting me to look this up, that painting loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/DanaSchwartzzz/status/1290099395220799488

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Somfin posted:

Thank you for getting me to look this up, that painting loving rules

It really does, it's incredibly expressive, like top ten in terms of personality expressed in pictures.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the letter also rules

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the letter also rules

Hell yeah, Joe Cocker

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

gently caress me this is a good click

how does that poo poo get past editing?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
copyeditors get paid minimum wage in nyc, or close

they get minimum wage in nyc quality lol

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If reading news articles has taught me anything, it's that editing is dead and has been for a while.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I thought editing just meant dumping stories that might upset the advertisers or the shareholders?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats the lead editors job

copyeditor is the menial in the editing pits

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Parallelwoody posted:

If reading news articles has taught me anything, it's that editing is dead and has been for a while.

What are you expecting someone to spell all 400 words on their article correctly as well as not miss typos in the headline?!

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Somfin posted:

Finding out that Lovecraft had an explicit fear of both foreigners (this is in addition to his mindboggling-even-for-the-time racism) and seafood makes a lot of his monster designs make sense.

Same with Howard, who once wrote a Lovecraft-style creature of monstrous vile darkness capable of killing an entire city and then, during the final confrontation with Conan, gave it the face of a frog, a creature that exists only in the spectrum between "ugly because it's too cute" and "cute because it's too ugly."

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Lol that was the dude who wrote the terrible books about kids becoming friends at Auschwits and the other awful book about a kid finding out his brother is trans. This is amazing, he really actually does no research beyond googling. gently caress the entire publishing industry lol.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
vErY SeRiOuS HiStOrIcAl aUtHoR

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/mysweetlord/status/1086703540029001728

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

From the acclaimed author of "German Kids Were Also Sad During the Holocaust", "Some Insultingly Wrong Stuff About Trans Folk", and his continuing nonfiction series "I'll Sue You If You Tell Me I'm Wrong About Anything".

KhanSolo
Mar 20, 2020

GOON's Journal.
JULY 28th 2020:
FYAD was back! But as a new goon I had no idea what horror was awaitng me. Threads were extended gutters and gutters were full of shitpost...
:yokotaro:
:guillotine::d2a::guillotine:
:anarchists::anarchists::anarchists::anarchists:
https://twitter.com/rayromanonews/status/1290099945366847490?s=20

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1290134455718297601?s=20

https://twitter.com/lopp/status/1289938571692924928?s=20

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
There are actually two separate bags in there, but you can't see that because dude has his hand in the way
An accidentally accurate tweet

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I had to check to see if it was real because it wouldn't be their first cover of a dumb song from a tv show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsRY9vqr9rA

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/JasperRLZ/status/1289960052250435584

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

StillFullyTerrible posted:

There are actually two separate bags in there, but you can't see that because dude has his hand in the way
An accidentally accurate tweet

It doesn’t matter because both end up in the landfill now that China stopped sorting the West’s garbage for peanuts.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The school I teach at has had "separated" cans like this for a year and a half now. I teach Environmental Science and sponsor the Environmental Club and I've been telling them this whole time to raise hell with Admin about it, but we keep getting the bullshit excuse that "the janitors just aren't trained to put two different bags in".

It's really frustrating and it makes campus recycling initiatives a loving joke.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The school I teach at has had "separated" cans like this for a year and a half now. I teach Environmental Science and sponsor the Environmental Club and I've been telling them this whole time to raise hell with Admin about it, but we keep getting the bullshit excuse that "the janitors just aren't trained to put two different bags in".

It's really frustrating and it makes campus recycling initiatives a loving joke.

In our office (back when we had offices) I watched the cleaning staff empty our recycle bins into their one big trash can as they went across the floor. Mentioned it to accomodations, but they never did anything about it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Little Death posted:

In our office (back when we had offices) I watched the cleaning staff empty our recycle bins into their one big trash can as they went across the floor. Mentioned it to accomodations, but they never did anything about it.

My students are all 100% convinced this happens even though I've actually followed the bags and watched them be put in the correct dumpsters.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My students are all 100% convinced this happens even though I've actually followed the bags and watched them be put in the correct dumpsters.

Did you follow the dumpsters?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

rodbeard posted:

I had to check to see if it was real because it wouldn't be their first cover of a dumb song from a tv show.

Thanks for the new favorite song, jerk.

KhanSolo
Mar 20, 2020

GOON's Journal.
JULY 28th 2020:
FYAD was back! But as a new goon I had no idea what horror was awaitng me. Threads were extended gutters and gutters were full of shitpost...

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I have not seen these cans personally. Do you have workshops in your Envoironmental Club? maybe you could organise one and let students come up with modifications to these so the trash doesn't get mixed up. Any sort of barrier would work tbf.

I just checked the prices for trash cans and they can be expensive. You can put the admins to shame if you find a cheap solution.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

What's this kind of music called?

KhanSolo
Mar 20, 2020

GOON's Journal.
JULY 28th 2020:

MizPiz posted:

What's this kind of music called?

This is the song:

MansField - Motor City Popp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEERguTc_Ww

On lastfm the genre was specified as Shibuya-Kei / electronic

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

As if most games aren't already enough like the Myth Of Sisyphus.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Teach posted:

As if most games aren't already enough like the Myth Of Sisyphus.

we must imagine Pac Man happy

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

KhanSolo posted:

I have not seen these cans personally. Do you have workshops in your Envoironmental Club? maybe you could organise one and let students come up with modifications to these so the trash doesn't get mixed up. Any sort of barrier would work tbf.

I just checked the prices for trash cans and they can be expensive. You can put the admins to shame if you find a cheap solution.

That's a good idea, actually. I don't have anything dedicated but I'd bet I could point them in the direction of our metal shop equivalent.

When we are actually on campus again safely I'll suggest that. It's technically a student-run organization and I've let them have their head in the past, but I could give them a goal and let them figure out how to make it happen.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Platystemon posted:

It doesn’t matter because both end up in the landfill now that China stopped sorting the West’s garbage for peanuts.

That was just the US. In the EU the trash is sorted within the borders. The US never did recycling, they just packed everything up and shipped it to China.

("the EU", what I mean is Finland, sure the mafia just dumps the poo poo into the sea in Italy etc.).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I thought China wasn't even taking our recycling anymore.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yeah, that's why it all goes into a landfill now. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the US "recycling" is just a bunch of garbage, you don't separate metal, glass, plastic, paper, cardboard, bio waste into separate bins.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Aug 3, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

doverhog posted:

Yeah, that's why it all goes into a landfill now. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the US "recycling" is just a bunch of garbage, you don't separate metal, plastic, paper, cardboard, bio waste into separate bins.

I think it varies based on county and state, but largely yes.

Except bio waste is separate pretty much everywhere, sorted as compost. (I assume you mean old food and soiled paper plates and pizza boxes by bio waste)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Compost, yeah. Anything that is biodegradable. Don't get me wrong not everyone sorts like the ideal is, but at least recycling wasn't just 1 category and then ship everything to China. Was pretty shocked when I found out about that, in some documentary IIRC.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

rodbeard posted:

This is honestly one of my favourite songs by The National.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
I love quarantine videos

https://twitter.com/leesteffen/status/1289646377530785792?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice