Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

That's so true - there's literally a third of the Rangers that I'd estimate are below replacement level. Staal and Smith on defense, one of whom is on the ice for half to two-thirds of each game, though Smith has been looking unusually serviceable. McKegg and Di Giuseppe both fell off the wrong end of the Canes depth chart a year or two ago. Fogarty is an AHLer. Howden has looked really bad and over his head except for one good scoring chance. Gauthier has hardly played. I don't think Brendan Lemieux coming back from a suspension is going to help this.

That lineup is going to look a lot better with Lafreniere in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jovial Cow posted:

Someone tell me about this Lafrenière fellow, where are expectations for him compared to say Hughes/Kakko in their draft?

His floor is their ceiling

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Something about fighting in an empty arena seems particularly pointless.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Just realized that thanks to the Jets win the franchise has only been swept out of 40% of their playoff appearances, instead of what could have been 60%. That cheered me up

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
e: I definitely knew this wasn't the GDT.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 3, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

NBC says the start of MTL/PIT Game 2 has been delayed due to WSH/TB running long.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/dnadders/status/1290416740275552256

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Lehner went from having a Trump mask to kneeling for the anthem. dang

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DuhSal posted:

Interesting you say Matthews 'cause I thought he was one of the only guys to have a pretty solid game but fair point on some of the others (especially Marner.. he was in the line up right?)

I don’t think it’s necessary to “well actually” about players in that game when the high bar is “had a couple scoring chances while getting absolutely killed in possession”

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I'm really wondering what the dynamics of a multi-period overtime are going to be like in this situation. I've watched a few games now and it definitely seems hard to keep certain types of urgency without thousands of people yelling at you.

It's really going to be a different situation than normal six periods into a game without having a crowd full of terrified people yelling at absolutely everything and slowly going crazy. Will the players be able to counter the fatigue without that? Imagining it feels a little like a death march. Like, the situation almost seems cruel.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Zodijackylite posted:

That's so true - there's literally a third of the Rangers that I'd estimate are below replacement level. Staal and Smith on defense, one of whom is on the ice for half to two-thirds of each game, though Smith has been looking unusually serviceable. McKegg and Di Giuseppe both fell off the wrong end of the Canes depth chart a year or two ago. Fogarty is an AHLer. Howden has looked really bad and over his head except for one good scoring chance. Gauthier has hardly played. I don't think Brendan Lemieux coming back from a suspension is going to help this.

That lineup is going to look a lot better with Lafreniere in it.

The Rangers have been so loving painful to watch this tournament. Like, at least they didn't get completely outshot today. But watching Staal still play some 3 years after he should have been relegated to the AHL makes me want to scream.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The players from the game scheduled after yours will come out to the boards and yell at you to hurry up so they can play.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Mind_Taker posted:

“We’re going to try to eliminate racism. Also we will not do the bare minimum to support our only black teammate.”
*half-Filipino

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

WTF is the shootout doing in the playoffs? Stupid...

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Also, there is currently another thunderstorm smacking Edmonton. 50/50 says Rogers Place floods again.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Cartoon Man posted:

It's only the sort of semi but not really playoffs.

Honestly, though, for the pretty meaningless seeding games, do you really want your team playing 16 periods?

The qualification round has playoff overtime, just not the seeding round robin thing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Think I’ve had it with this playin round robin poo poo. When’s round one start?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Cartoon Man posted:

It's not the playoffs, it's the memorial cup.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Cartoon Man posted:

Think I’ve had it with this playin round robin poo poo.

It does seem insanely boring compared to the play-in tournament games

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
How many refs are in the bubble?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

thehoodie posted:

How many refs are in the bubble?

Tim Peel is in the bubble so it doesnt matter.

We need stronger bubbles.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Do the dudes who come out and shovel have to live in the bubble? Cause that's gotta suck.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Tim Peel is in the bubble so it doesnt matter.

We need stronger bubbles.

For him we need one small airtight bubble

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dallas has sprinted fast into the upper echelons of choke artists.

Not just the Stars, though. The entire city's sports everything.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/JesseGranger_/status/1290456966133932032

https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/1290456810357428232

:unsmith:

FBS fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 4, 2020

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Any of the players saying this isn't political is an rear end in a top hat.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
seguin has risen from belly button lint status to coffee stain status. well done young man

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

https://twitter.com/youcantdohockey/status/1290462368653357056?s=21

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Any of the players saying this isn't political is an rear end in a top hat.
Maybe it's a charitable reading, but I see that more as "it shouldn't be political, it's basic human decency."

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Maybe it's a charitable reading, but I see that more as "it shouldn't be political, it's basic human decency."

Well there’s a couple responses to that sentiment. 1) the basic decency of a human being was certainly a political issue in April 1861 and that sentiment basically never left the US as we can see from... this whole discussion, and 2) basic human decency is absolutely a political issue when current political leadership and ideology are directly opposed to it.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Yeah, I figured it was a shot at the fans and media who complain that players should stick to sports.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Fifty Three posted:

The two go hand in hand.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

I haven't seen the habs dump and chase this much since Michel Therrien.

I haven't seen Price play this well since Michel Therrien.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So there is a "home" team and they do all the home team music and whatnot

But still the horn for away team goals?

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The Pens are going to eliminate the Habs on Crosby's birthday.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

myron cope posted:

So there is a "home" team and they do all the home team music and whatnot

But still the horn for away team goals?

Home team status is just for jerseys and last change. They have everyone's goal horn and music.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The Montréal Canadiens will draft Alexis Lafrenière.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Mage_Boy posted:

The Pens are going to eliminate the Habs on Crosby's birthday.

:yeshaha:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

yellowcar posted:

The Montréal Canadiens will draft Alexis Lafrenière.

We aren't allowed to have nice things anymore

THANKS OBAMA TREMBLAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

DJExile posted:

Home team status is just for jerseys and last change. They have everyone's goal horn and music.

They were playing the Pens in rink music tonight.

Edit: like in the breaks and stuff.