Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

gently caress does Cuno care?!

Besides, he's all hopped up on that Mag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

fricken sjw game reviewers haha :xd: anyone got a link to teh epic doom vid

These are libs tho. They're Sunday Friend

Mantis42 posted:

I remember how upset Abby on GiantBomb got because her Harry kept telling Gartre to suck his dick and I never experienced that dialogue at all.

I've reached that point like 5 times or so and this is the first I've heard of it lol, I do know if you play Harry as a weirdo MRA who hates women he will talk to Garte as though he's a weirdo MRA who hates women tho.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh wait, that's it. He tells Gartre that Sylvie is riding the cock carousel and makes him an MRA.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my Harry was a Feminist, he would never stand for such things.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
mine was a depressive substance abusing communist so I think next time I should venture a little more afield

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

yeah it rules, you can yell at Garte for creating a hostile workplace by making sexual advances on his employees

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

in fact he's such a powerfully feminist person that his inclinations toward justice survive even the total obliteration of his memory and identity

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
One thing im truly loving about disco elysium is how they took the conversation but as a boss fight gimmick of chris avellones and extended it to the entire loving game. every convo is a fight to get a useful snippet out of whoever unfortunate enough you are dazzling with your alcoholic fumes and severe retrograde amnesia. and man do the company and union rep talks really nail that point home holy poo poo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mortons stork posted:

One thing im truly loving about disco elysium is how they took the conversation but as a boss fight gimmick of chris avellones and extended it to the entire loving game. every convo is a fight to get a useful snippet out of whoever unfortunate enough you are dazzling with your alcoholic fumes and severe retrograde amnesia. and man do the company and union rep talks really nail that point home holy poo poo

True but I did appreciate the more traditional boss fight they included with Chair

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I never asked the rich lib lady at the docks to give me a stupid amount of money. She just forks over enough to cover you for awhile if you ask, but isn't one of the options like $3,000 or something like that? Would she actually give you that much?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Truancy-Bot posted:

I just bought a fancy gaming pc what game do i play until Microsoft Flight Simulator comes out

Star citizen :swoon:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

boy that sure sounds like a fun game i'm missing out on, what with having full blown consolized fail aids and all

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Marx Was A Lib posted:

hm, thanks. i'm currently debating spending $60 for the new gundam game that just came out, or a bunch of games on sale right now, death stranding being one of them.

If you really need to scratch the gundam itch, Battle Operations 2 is pretty good for a free2play cash grab. Be sure to join literally any guild with active players so you can get free coins, especially since there's a promotion where guild level ups give you five times as many coins for now.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

These are libs tho. They're Sunday Friend

nah, despite the word association of "moral"="moralist" she's clearly arguing against the mealy mouthed centrist view that permeates morally gray games, where every seemingly good person has some hidden motivation or takes things too far and where every seemingly bad person has the opposite. if earth was a modern video game jeff bezos would have secret sick disabled child that needs medicine that costs $1b/year to keep alive and the workers trying to unionize are actually agents of barnes & noble and if you help them his sick child will die. in the real world he's just an evil piece of poo poo

this is the opposite of the moralintern:

The Polygon Article People Didn't Read posted:

What’s also perfidious is the implication in gray stories that “goodness” is just a hair’s difference away from “badness,” when it’s a perspective steeped in privilege: The oppressor is as multifaceted as the oppressed, and the hero as capable of evil-doings as the villain.

What feels infuriating about this perspective is this: If you don’t fight for your rights in the correct way — the polite, civil way that fits snugly within the frameworks of society — you will be tarred with the same brush as those who are actively bolstering the forces behind inequality.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i'm a huge carebear, and it's the pve content that's making itself a draw for me.

new gundam breaker was...well...you know.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
man i'm finding out that a bunch of people don't consider Disco Elysium an RPG at all.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nah, despite the word association of "moral"="moralist" she's clearly arguing against the mealy mouthed centrist view that permeates morally gray games, where every seemingly good person has some hidden motivation or takes things too far and where every seemingly bad person has the opposite. if earth was a modern video game jeff bezos would have secret sick disabled child that needs medicine that costs $1b/year to keep alive and the workers trying to unionize are actually agents of barnes & noble and if you help them his sick child will die. in the real world he's just an evil piece of poo poo

Trying to read into games that pretend at a deep plot but are really just love letters to the status quo and its enablers like Outer Worlds and Bioshock Infinite sounds like a good way to become deeply jaded about gaming yeah. I think the field opens up a bit once you leave the realm of AAA but a big problem is just that open world as a genre has become less a world to live in than an MMO you play by yourself, and no amount of deep characterization survives a focus group or the need to make it work with like 12 possible companions

I'm not sure if it's a problem of the writers being cowards but the execs definitely are. It's a shame the turnaround on game development is so long because I want to see what the impact of DE on how the industry treats the writing in their games ends up being

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

man i'm finding out that a bunch of people don't consider Disco Elysium an RPG at all.

That's the funny part, because one of the issues at hand is that RPGs stopped being about roleplaying decades ago, it's more wish fulfillment with anything like DE usually being dismissed as a walking simulator

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

That's the funny part, because one of the issues at hand is that RPGs stopped being about roleplaying decades ago, it's more wish fulfillment with anything like DE usually being dismissed as a walking simulator

mostly people arguing against it being an RPG seem upset you can't initiate combat with everyone at the drop of the hat and murder everyone in the town. so yeah, wish fulfillment.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

required elements of an rpg:

1. the ability to be a murderhobo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"RPG = Murder Simulator"

- Todd Howard

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nothing wrong with RPGs that focus on violent power fantasy, it's just kind of an overpowering mono-template. In that sense DE was a breath of fresh air.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Fuligin posted:

Nothing wrong with RPGs that focus on violent power fantasy, it's just kind of an overpowering mono-template. In that sense DE was a breath of fresh air.

Yeah, mostly it's that all computer RPGs are violent power fantasies. DE is the first I've played that was this narrow of a role and it's very committed to it. There's some freedom within the role of being a detective, but ultimately that's what you are and the story set up is a murder mystery.

I usually break out of the "roles" in cRPGs because they aren't constrained enough. DE reminds me of having a hardass DM that fucks you over for doing real dumb poo poo, like getting into a gun fight with 8 people in a hostile town.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Truancy-Bot posted:

I just bought a fancy gaming pc what game do i play until Microsoft Flight Simulator comes out

Doom 2016, then Doom Eternal imo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Also make sure to include lots of waifus in the RPG.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

i've just discovered the rpgcodex forums and man

what a poo poo hole

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

I will never read more than the title of a piece of ~~ViDeO gAmE jOuRnAlISm~~ and just judge them on that premise and I can assure you her premise is in fact poo poo. The story for every triple A game is poo poo and focused tested into the most moronic watered down filth your for the average gamer.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

uber_stoat posted:

You have committed sex crimes! You will be taken away to sex prison!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Terminal autist posted:

I will never read more than the title of a piece of ~~ViDeO gAmE jOuRnAlISm~~

lol imagine bragging about easily falling for clickbait titles

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Terminal autist posted:

I will never read more than the title of a piece of ~~ViDeO gAmE jOuRnAlISm~~ and just judge them on that premise and I can assure you her premise is in fact poo poo. The story for every triple A game is poo poo and focused tested into the most moronic watered down filth your for the average gamer.

one of my favorite things to say is that games like the last of us or whatever david cage wankfest is getting attention are further removed from movies than a tom clancy looter shooter, simply by virtue of that game bearing the name of someone who wrote books that got turned into movies

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Disco was good because I wanted a game to be like alpha protocol with it's really deep system of tracking your conversation responses and the results of them but disco wasnt some boring spy thing

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

"RPG = Murder Simulator"

- Todd Howard

skyrim and fallout 4 even fails in this regard, any time a murder would jeopardize their hyper smoothed plot the npc would just take a knee

does this also happen in '76 with the new npcs? do they do that MMO "This is a No Combat Area"?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Marx Was A Lib posted:

is it Actually Good or is it one of those games that gets a super uncritical reception because a poo poo ton of hype was built up around it and neither "games" "journalists" nor captial-G G*mers could break their collective self-induced mass hysteria to say it's actually poo poo?
i'm finding it an Actually Great game and it may be my favorite game of 2020* unless something magically comes along to knock it out of the park. afaik capital G gamers absolutely hated it and critics were lukewarm when it came out on the PS4 -- it's more cspammy nerds that like it. so depends on if you align more with cspammy nerds or capital G gamers/gaming journalists.

i will absolutely preface that it certainly may not be something for everyone: if you don't love the batshit insanity of games like Metal Gear Revengeance where the president is an insane 'roided out nano-bot trump yelling about making america great, and/or don't like the idea of escaping our pre-apocalyptic hellworld working gig delivery foods to tech bros for $5/hr into a post-apocalyptic hellworld where you deliver fedex packages to preppers to reunite mankind, then you might not like it. it's a slow-burn but i find it very very easy to start playing and sink 6 hours into it and then next thing I know its 3am and god damnit just one more delivery but gently caress i also have to work but gently caress let me just wrap this poo poo up but gently caress ok one more.

fyi it's also $47 on GreenManGaming for a steam key which is a legit site

(* it just came out on PC ok???)

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Aug 4, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Marx Was A Lib posted:

required elements of an rpg:

1. the ability to be a murderhobo

Disco Elysium lets you be a regular hobo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

*orcs chanting* HO BO COP! HO BO COP!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ok fine i bought the boromir UPS game

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Taintrunner posted:

Polygon Gibberish

Just peoplenerds dunking on Ken Levine again, as if that game is radicalizing people into chuds.

MoaM has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Aug 4, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
bioshock infinite will be risible for decades to come, it is a paragon of schlocky writing and managed to prove that the game levine was involved in that came before it was an accident

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

The rioting minorities are just as bad as the racist capitalists you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zvahl posted:

bioshock infinite will be risible for decades to come, it is a paragon of schlocky writing and managed to prove that the game levine was involved in that came before it was an accident

the retconning of bioshit with the infinite DLC is even funnier. oh oh noh no ayn rand is actually good it's not lolbertarianism that caused the downfall of rapture, it was time travelling magic alien ghosts that ruined it GOSH you guys you don't understand there was nothing wrong with Andrew Ryan!!!!!