Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

Nitrogen. I distinctly heard "you ?shouldn't? piss directly on the tomatoes."

Tomatoes in general don't like liquid from above once fruit are out. Hence why you shelter them from direct rain and only water them from below.

Not sure what else urine messes up, but don't pee onto your tomatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hopper posted:

Tomatoes in general don't like liquid from above once fruit are out. Hence why you shelter them from direct rain and only water them from below.

Not sure what else urine messes up, but don't pee onto your tomatoes.

It makes them taste like piss, OP.

Just get it in the soil, I guess.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
japanese curry is easy mode if u want it to be
dice up meat, carrots, potatoes and onions, cook till they soften, drop cubes of curry roux into the pot, add a dash of salt, serve over rice

for people who are not fans of spice, they sell brown stew, white/cream stew cubes. same recipe as before, just substitute curry cubes with other cubes

it;s only when the taste is lacking, like frying up all the ingredients before stewing, adding garlic or even ginger, adding extra chili flakes, picking cuts of meat with bone in em, adding soy sauce or oyster sauce as a base, adding fish sauce, substituting curry cubes with thai curry paste and adding grated coconut, maybe adding an apple or two to sweeten it up. using thai curry paste and meat w/bones is generally cheaper too

for the super lazy, curry keeps well in the fridge so u can reheat it for the next 4-5 days (cool the pot rapidly with a fan or sumthin first before putting it in the fridge). or if u dont wanna risk food poisoning, u can portion the curry off into containers and reheat individually. tbh ive accidentally left the pot out overnight and the curry turned sour, ate it over the next couple of days with no ill effects, just added sugar to offset the sour taste

heres a chinese style japanese curry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4QTYaILREU

since this thread is bean obsessed i thought id also share a beans only dish for the adventurous
- fry up mung bean noodles
- fry up tofu (deep fried / pre-spiced / plain n firm)
- fry up mung bean sprouts
- add soy sauce and/or bean paste (eg gochujang or chunjang) for flavor
- sprinkle crushed peanuts over dish

if ur willing to deviate from the beans only theme, dish tastes better if the oil is seasoned with garlic and and fat rendered from meat, good with green onions too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbH4lOnFaZs

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Skipped forward 3 pages, Americans still talking about curry as if its new

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'd really recommend reading up on those 3 pages, because some real nuance happened that I don't think you'll fully appreciate until later on.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

what are you, british?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RkfGStdOUM

watch with captions, it’ll make you feel better

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Fix posted:

I'd really recommend reading up on those 3 pages, because some real nuance happened that I don't think you'll fully appreciate until later on.

itt a bunch of plague hermits sit on mountaintops and contemplate curry

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

Our tomato plants are set to go full ham and I am incredibly excited because I did not want tomatoes, but I did want ham.

I almost forgot we planted tomatoes! We've got one turning red now, and at least a dozen others. Neither of us are much of gardeners, but we've already had our fill of our perennial strawberries, and some peas, and a couple handfuls of basil for making pasta fagioli.

Not sure when it happened, but at some point a slice of room-temperature tomato with some salt and pepper became some sort of transcendent experience. Sometime in my 30s is my guess. My kid's in her teens and will only eat tomatoes in sauce/ketchup form.

I've only gotten this to the table once this pandemic, but it was a gigantic hit: Halal Cart-style chicken and rice, from Serious Eats.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Just gotta throw a lil bit of sugar on there with the fresh tomato. You've already got the salt, the pepper, it doesn't take much. Don't overdo it. Just a lil.

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

animist posted:

itt a bunch of plague hermits sit on mountaintops and contemplate curry

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i kinda expected them to be on the gruel by this stage

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Husband keeps asking me a million questions about what the covid test is gonna be like tomorrow and I'm just like drat dude they gon shove a thing into my nose.

I want to get some curry cubes thanks to this thread. Sounds good.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

some pages back but i don't think kemp has even signed this bill

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20192020/195211.pdf

quote:

SECTION 5.
This Act shall become effective upon its approval by the Governor or upon its becoming law without such approval or on August 7, 2020, whichever occurs first.

also lol

quote:

(2) An individual or entity of the premises has posted at a point of entry, if present, to the premises, a sign in at least one-inch Arial font placed apart from any other text, a written warning stating the following:

'Warning
Under Georgia law, there is no liability for an injury or death of an individual entering these premises if such injury or death results from the inherent risks of contracting COVID-19. You are assuming this risk by entering these premises.'

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Fun fact: the Japanese learned about curry from the brits when soldiers brought it over as part of their rations from India.

I guess that's why tonkatsu is basically an improved escalope with gravy lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

fosborb posted:

I'd say we're going to have to do something like this regardless to keep auto loans from imploding but lol the rich make so much money on recessions, why would they want to stop that??

What's funny is that a big loving lump sum payment would be so much more useful to poor people than any kind of highly targeted program, especially one based on unemployment or previous income. The only people that amount of money will really matter to are the ones who desperately need it, and just giving people the ability to magically get caught up on late bills, cover credit card debt, and maybe instantly build a little safety net would be transformative for the whole economy.

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001
I made “Nat’s what I reckon” curry the other night (I think he was posted in this thread a bajillion pages ago).

https://youtu.be/2uBDNhe6Gkk

It was good and simple and the crowd (of one other) approved. The leftovers were also quickly devoured. I recommend it for anyone looking to start on curry.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

What's funny is that a big loving lump sum payment would be so much more useful to poor people than any kind of highly targeted program, especially one based on unemployment or previous income. The only people that amount of money will really matter to are the ones who desperately need it, and just giving people the ability to magically get caught up on late bills, cover credit card debt, and maybe instantly build a little safety net would be transformative for the whole economy.

but they didn't earn it tho???

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

shackleford posted:

also lol

The fact they are not letting them get away with wing-dings is a triumph of consumer protection.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Reminder that c spam has its own dedicated cooking thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=269

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1290938717784485889?s=19

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fix posted:

Just gotta throw a lil bit of sugar on there with the fresh tomato. You've already got the salt, the pepper

the piss

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

its pretty much all performative security theater, but lol at getting planes back in the air quicker when no one is flying

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1290953450440790017?s=19

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

shackleford posted:

also lol

the one inch tall arial font shtick

loving amazing :allears:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

huhwhat posted:

japanese curry is easy mode if u want it to be
dice up meat, carrots, potatoes and onions, cook till they soften, drop cubes of curry roux into the pot, add a dash of salt, serve over rice

for people who are not fans of spice, they sell brown stew, white/cream stew cubes. same recipe as before, just substitute curry cubes with other cubes

it;s only when the taste is lacking, like frying up all the ingredients before stewing, adding garlic or even ginger, adding extra chili flakes, picking cuts of meat with bone in em, adding soy sauce or oyster sauce as a base, adding fish sauce, substituting curry cubes with thai curry paste and adding grated coconut, maybe adding an apple or two to sweeten it up. using thai curry paste and meat w/bones is generally cheaper too

for the super lazy, curry keeps well in the fridge so u can reheat it for the next 4-5 days (cool the pot rapidly with a fan or sumthin first before putting it in the fridge). or if u dont wanna risk food poisoning, u can portion the curry off into containers and reheat individually. tbh ive accidentally left the pot out overnight and the curry turned sour, ate it over the next couple of days with no ill effects, just added sugar to offset the sour taste

heres a chinese style japanese curry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4QTYaILREU

having an actual wok station in my life would be so glorious :allears:

the tossing things all around over a huge amount of heat and straining them without abandon? its beautiful imo

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

amazing :911:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdXU52Thkf0

kater
Nov 16, 2010

how much better would an egg sandwich be with one of these wok things

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh, relevant to food chat

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
God's PlanTM at work

https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1290974100056428545?s=20

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've read lots of opinions from right-wingers saying that if they die it's just God's plan, but if they infect someone else and they die, is that also God's plan? Or is it human evil?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"It's god's plan" is the "it's priced in" of religious people. Something to say about anything without any substance behind it.

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

Fame Douglas posted:

"It's god's plan" is the "it's priced in" of religious people. Something to say about anything without any substance behind it.

It always reminds me of that story where the guy's trapped on the island and he sends boats away saying 'God will save me'

He gets to heaven and when he asks why he wasn't saved God says 'I sent you three boats dumbass'

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

plague be with you

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So the “kids have nothing to worry about open the schools!” talking point is there actual science behind that or is it simply we haven’t had mass amounts of kids in confined, closed quarters like schools until now?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

meanolmrcloud posted:

I’ve been essentially making the exact same egg sandwich every morning for breakfast because it’s so easy and so dang good. the kind where you scramble the eggs in a bowl, pour it over a pan, and put the bread on top while it’s still cooking. flip the whole dang thing over, toast the bread, put some cheese and kewpie mayo in it, tuck in the eggs and wham, perfect 3 minute egg sandwich. works with plain bread, tortillas (with salsa), or English muffins.

When I used to cook for a living my hangover sandwich I made at the beginning of my shift was toast, american cheese, fried eggs, mayo, and fried pepperoni

I'd consider the fried peppered oni if you're looking for a small change in an already great sandwich, friend

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So the “kids have nothing to worry about open the schools!” talking point is there actual science behind that or is it simply we haven’t had mass amounts of kids in confined, closed quarters like schools until now?

It's people willfully misinterpreting the lack of spread at schools in nations where the virus is mostly stomped out and saying that applies to places where it's raging unabated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Solarin posted:

plague be with you

Remember how in Red states they made religious places (mainly churches) essential services so they could stay open?

It's almost like they ignored stories like the South Korea cult church super-spreader incident that led to thousands of cases to chase down via contact tracings.