Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The problem with Hunchback is that most of the points in its favour had to do with it being a gorgeously animated film. They're never going to go full-on everyone dies in the end faithful to the novel, so I think the best we could hope for is just a substantially less interesting film overall, like Aladdin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The character in Hunchback that's most faithful to the original novel is the funny animal sidekick.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

The problem with Hunchback is that most of the points in its favour had to do with it being a gorgeously animated film. They're never going to go full-on everyone dies in the end faithful to the novel, so I think the best we could hope for is just a substantially less interesting film overall, like Aladdin.

There's a musical based on the Disney film that actually does go with the everybody dies ending, along with a bunch of previously novel-only plot points, so it's possible they could go off of that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Disney's CEO told IGN that this is the only film they'll be doing this way..but I'm pretty sure that's a lie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pigbuster posted:

There's a musical based on the Disney film that actually does go with the everybody dies ending, along with a bunch of previously novel-only plot points, so it's possible they could go off of that.

You know they won't, though, right? They'll hew as close to the movie as possible while maybe toning down the gargoyle and baby goat hijinx and maybe tossing a song or two from the musical in (while inexplicably butchering the pacing and staging of the accompanying musical number).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Phylodox posted:

You know they won't, though, right? They'll hew as close to the movie as possible while maybe toning down the gargoyle and baby goat hijinx and maybe tossing a song or two from the musical in (while inexplicably butchering the pacing and staging of the accompanying musical number).

Hellfire will be reduced to one verse, spoken as a monologue, with the melody of the chorus played orchestrally while Frollo stares into cgi flames

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hedrigall posted:

Hellfire will be reduced to one verse, spoken as a monologue, with the melody of the chorus played orchestrally while Frollo stares into cgi flames

And half of it will be an incredibly obvious ripoff “tribute” to the “Shia LaBeouf” video.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Hunchback is one of my favorite Disney films mostly because of the incredible soundtrack so... yeah, the prospect of the remake cutting it all out leaves me pretty wary.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ThermoPhysical posted:

Disney's CEO told IGN that this is the only film they'll be doing this way..but I'm pretty sure that's a lie.

Yeah, companies will repeat anything that makes a profit.

If Mulan makes mad cash they'll absolutely do this again.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I think it's hard to predict what the Hunchback remake will look like, not least of all because it probably would have been at least somewhat influenced by Mulan's performance. Like, if you had told the thread 2-3 years ago that movie wouldn't be a musical, you could have won some toxx clause bets. It's an interesting test to see how audiences feel about a "remake" that's actually a pretty new movie. Of course, now that the "audience" is all hosed up, who knows.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I do wonder if they'll still have the visual of Notre Dame being surrounded by flames, but honestly there are plenty of ways around that, it's hardly the most important part of the story.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Aren't they still making a live action Lilo & Stitch because god has forsaken us?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
To save costs Stitch will just be the first, superseded Sonic model

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Theaters in the UK are very, very upset that Mulan is going to be on Disney+.

https://www.cbr.com/uk-theaters-angered-by-mulan-planned-disney-release/

Like... very upset.

https://www.cbr.com/mulan-theater-owner-destroys-display-after-disney-plus-announcement/

Apparently it won't be simultaneously on D+ and in theaters either, it will most likely be only online. This is apparently what they're telling theaters behind the scenes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Like... very upset.

https://www.cbr.com/mulan-theater-owner-destroys-display-after-disney-plus-announcement/

Apparently it won't be simultaneously on D+ and in theaters either, it will most likely be only online. This is apparently what they're telling theaters behind the scenes.

https://twitter.com/destinationcine/status/1291279337191346177

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Like... very upset.

Aside from the pandemic being the obvious reason releasing movies in theaters right now is dumb, I do wonder how much of the decision to make Mulan a $29.99 VOD exclusive on Disney+ was charged by the possibility that the movie would likely bomb in China if it were released theatrically.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
capitalist hoarding of entertainment is one of the reasons pandemic lockdown has been so poo poo for so many people. it could have been so easy to stay inside. we could have been all having a lovely time enjoying the past five hundred years of storytelling, catalogued in full colour on this huge electronic fever dream that is accessible to anyone with electricity and an internet connection. but instead most of it is locked away out of sight forever, and the rest has to be paid for with money that increasingly few of us have. this is completely deliberate; if every person had access to everything that had been made, they wouldn't get as bored, and the craving for new stories they hadn't heard yet wouldn't be as desperate or as lucrative.

not only did the pandemic lock everyone inside, it also halted the production of new media and collapsed half the existing outlets. that's not just cartoons, it's everything - games, blockbusters, comics, magazines, reality shows. mindless entertainment was meant to be the only thing our society did well. but when a time came when we actually needed mindless entertainment to survive, greed took over and the corporations shat the bed. we're all so accustomed from birth now to a perpetual drip of pop culture, but that got taken away at the same time that the best thing for the whole species was for everybody to lock themselves in their houses and watch tv. it's the boredom that's driving anti-lockdown behaviour. the corporations could help, so easily, but they won't; because it wouldn't make them money. it wouldn't even lose them money, it just wouldn't make it.

i paid eighty-five australian dollars for a dvd of heavy traffic and the bitterness will remain in my soul forever

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
yeah but :filez:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Judging from that post Fauna is from Australia, where the internet quality might not be fast enough to properly pirate things.

But, yeah, as someone who lives somewhere that DOES have fast internet :filez: are a god send in these trying times.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ThermoPhysical posted:

Like... very upset.

theaters in the us would be feeling the same way if they weren't terrified for their very existences because none of the states with people in them can get the whole "pandemic" thing right

AMC already bent the knee for Universal and after Trolls was announced for VOD they were so pissed they weren't ever gonna show Uni movies again. as it turns out the threat of bankruptcy or being bought and completely soul-snatched by Amazon or Disney changes things considerably

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Judging from that post Fauna is from Australia, where the internet quality might not be fast enough to properly pirate things.

But, yeah, as someone who lives somewhere that DOES have fast internet :filez: are a god send in these trying times.

I am also in Australia :filez: :filez: :filez:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They actually started releasing games and movies early in Australia because we pirate so much.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They actually started releasing games and movies early in Australia because we pirate so much.

That’s what happens when we export all our criminals to a colony. :britain:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

I am also in Australia :filez: :filez: :filez:

Alright, full disclosure, I've never been to Australia and I have no idea what it's like there.

....if you catch a kangaroo are you allowed to keep it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alright, full disclosure, I've never been to Australia and I have no idea what it's like there.

I know it's usually safe to assume that iconic Australian wildlife is protected, but kangaroos are like deer. You can shoot them if you want (and you have a gun, which is the harder part) and you're more likely to crash into one. They're good eating, but can be very gamey.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Have you seen how jacked kangaroos are? They keep you.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Phylodox posted:

Have you seen how jacked kangaroos are? They keep you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpXxWQeho3M

I want to find the biggest, buffest kangaroo I can and become best friends with em.

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012
In a big deal for Internet indies everywhere, Hazbin Hotel has been picked up by A24.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By A24? What the gently caress?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah what? Is this A24's first TV venture?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also someone pointed out to me that apparently the red radio elf is supposed to be inspired by a deer? I can't even start to figure out how the gently caress I'm supposed to get a deer out of that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah what? Is this A24's first TV venture?

It seems they produced 9 series in 2019, though only one this year so far because of the virus. This looks to be their first animated project which might be because they can produce it without the risks live action filming has right now.

edit: geez they really gave me an avatar avatar. i thought i was safe cause i've never paid for an avatar before.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
... I'm alright with A24 doing TV, I'm alright with them doing animated stuff, but, Hazbin Hotel?

Really?

Really?

e: Like, even setting aside that it is Not My Thing on basically any level (and kinda feels like a turbo-edgy cargo cult Invader Zim), this seems... distinctly off brand for A24.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 7, 2020

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pick posted:

Also someone pointed out to me that apparently the red radio elf is supposed to be inspired by a deer? I can't even start to figure out how the gently caress I'm supposed to get a deer out of that.

He's got little antlers and his shoes look kind of like hooves?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

... I'm alright with A24 doing TV, I'm alright with them doing animated stuff, but, Hazbin Hotel?

Really?

Really?

e: Like, even setting aside that it is Not My Thing on basically any level (and kinda feels like a turbo-edgy cargo cult Invader Zim), this seems... distinctly off brand for A24.

I'm not sure why you would consider it off-brand for them. They certainly don't mind their edge.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
What the hell is a24

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What the hell is a24

It's a fairly quirky but prolific indie film production/distribution company that has had a bunch of success recently with films like Midsommar, Uncut Gems, Sorry To Bother You, etc. For me personally they're kind of a benchmark of quality because pretty much everything under their umbrella is good to great, or at least fits my tastes.

E: yeah I guess they've done a bunch of TV stuff including At Home With Amy Sedaris, aka the objectively best show on television

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know it's usually safe to assume that iconic Australian wildlife is protected, but kangaroos are like deer. You can shoot them if you want (and you have a gun, which is the harder part).

Heh. in the US there are only 5 states where you aren’t allowed to simply carry a gun out in the open in public. In 30 of them you don’t even need a permit

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
maybe A24 can get actual writers for the show to make it interesting

that animation is gonna take forever to get made though, rip underpaid animators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Actually my very favorite outcome, which would make me laugh for 100,000 million years if it happened, is if essentially she signed over the entire premise of the show and it ended up being written and animated by other people, and it ended up much better. So her original characters (donut steel) would have much better designs and characterization, the entire labor of love being vastly improved by creative takeover and pervasive corporate oversight.