Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Admiral Ray posted:

do y'all think the horizon zero dawn PC release is gonna be any good? i've wondered about that game since it came out but was never willing to buy a playstation for it.

I thought HZD was alright, not worth buying a ps4 just to play, but what I enjoyed the most about it was the backstory because you find out

Musk/Bezos/tech giant billionaire hosed up and destroyed civilization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

when it clicks i think HZD has the best combat of any western game this gen.

not counting shooters, i dont really play those, i assume the shooting is good

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I don't want to get into spoilers but hzd is absolutely greater than the sum of it's parts

It has a lot of open world stuff, and starts off really limited

But a few hours in the plot let's you out of your pen, and you're given a far away destination that seems like something you shouldn't go straight at, because open worlds have taught us to do side stuff first.

Except in horizons case, you absolutely do want to do this, because the combat system is kind of odd - better weapons don't do more damage by themselves , they have more options . And those options make the fighting a ton more fun, because you suddenly can go after weakpoints that change things up a shitload . In mhw terminology the three tiers of weapons would be like having charge blade that doesn't charge, then no axe mode, then the full thing. But you can go straight to the capitol city and buy the full thing fairly early. Only after that you worry about mods that up your damage

On top of that , the sidequesrs aren't great but have some fun characters, and even more importantly, the story is great. There's some spots where you're just standing and listening/reading for a while to old stories but it works so loving well it really succeeds

Another example of being greater than the sum of it's parts is climbing the watchtower to reveal the map. Same old poo poo. Except....you aren't climbing a watchtower, you're climbing something else that I'm not going to spool because it's awesome

It's my favorite game on ps4 and I think should have the most appeal to everyone across the board. One of the very few i played through on extra hard after just to get cosmetic unlocks

hell yeah, that sounds great. about how many hours did it take to play pretty thoroughly?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A Bakers Cousin posted:

hey so I went into the steam thread for the first time in a long time and look at the lovely posters there

lmao at the part where he felt bad for the nazis you kill in sniper elite

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Admiral Ray posted:

do y'all think the horizon zero dawn PC release is gonna be any good? i've wondered about that game since it came out but was never willing to buy a playstation for it.

i tried it on ps4 and felt it was a craft/collectathon game and i didnt want to build arrows and spears and poo poo so i turned it off

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i found big fights in horizon zero dawn consistently annoying and unfun, but i've long since supposed i was uniquely bad at them for some reason.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i liked a lot about the combat but my favourite thing was turning robodino guns back on them and really feeling like "wow i've really just been using a bow and arrow the whole game huh" as the t-rex shatters to pieces

also for some reason i really liked the arrow heads having different hardness values and stuff for different targets and switching between ap and broadheads after shredding some armour

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Admiral Ray posted:

hell yeah, that sounds great. about how many hours did it take to play pretty thoroughly?

40ish I think? I think I platted it around 60 or so

It can feel like a collectathin with a few annoying things - you do primal style thing to upgrade your weapon pouches, but there's a hidden feature that tells you where to look for the animals you need that saves a ton of time. But another selling point is just the setting - your character is an outcast from what appears to be a native American style tribe and it makes sense you'd craft pouches from animals.

It also has very few trap weapons/mods , which is nice. Of my complaints, the main one is tearblast mods dont work right on tearblast arrows, but also that the tearblaster is hidden behind a sidequest chain I didn't do until late and it's easily once of the best weapons in the game for how I liked to play

The frozen wilds dlc is a bit overtuned but not too bad otherwise.

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Aug 6, 2020

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
HZD's combat is wild fun once you get the hang of using specific arrows and elements to blast bits off robot dinosaurs

The thing to remember is that the gear system sucks and is a complete afterthought you should rush to the main city to buy the purps and never think about equipment again

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I think having mouse control is going to make horizon a lot easier to play. i hate aiming at tiny spots on a moving target with a controller.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ben Nerevarine posted:

HZD's combat is wild fun once you get the hang of using specific arrows and elements to blast bits off robot dinosaurs

The thing to remember is that the gear system sucks and is a complete afterthought you should rush to the main city to buy the purps and never think about equipment again

An early demonstration of this everyone should do is go to Nora hunting grounds , find the deer robots, and shoot one of their canisters with a fire arrow. Watch what happens

(Then shoot the canisters of the dead ones with harvest arrows instead of looting normally, you get tons of blaze this way and it's the only resource in the game you'll ever be short on)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ok guess i'm gonna free up some hard drive space and give hzd another shot

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hzd port sounds rough from ars technica's review

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

err posted:

i tried it on ps4 and felt it was a craft/collectathon game and i didnt want to build arrows and spears and poo poo so i turned it off

:same: a million times. the first six hours were impossibly tedious

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Marx Was A Lib posted:

ok guess i'm gonna free up some hard drive space and give hzd another shot

oh jeez i didn't even think about drive space.

quote:

Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition requires a PC to pack, at the minimum, an Intel Core i5-2500 CPU, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 GPU, 8GB of RAM, and 100GB of disk space. Its recommended specs include an Intel Core i7-4770 CPU, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 GPU, and 16GB of RAM.

god loving dammit what the gently caress

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
yeah i cannot impart this enough: beeline the story , go to meridian, get purple weapons, the game completely changes and you can then enjoy fighting the robodinos and learning about the really good history of the world. this isn't a spoiler: you're on earth, there's no question about that. see if you can figure out what happened before its revealed

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

yeah i cannot impart this enough: beeline the story , go to meridian, get purple weapons, the game completely changes and you can then enjoy fighting the robodinos and learning about the really good history of the world. this isn't a spoiler: you're on earth, there's no question about that. see if you can figure out what happened before its revealed

ah, so the beginning can bog you down like dragon age inquisition, then. good to know.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i'm eager for the hzd on pc just in case the kbm isn't garbage so I can play it not on a controller, I'm in the mood for open world garbage

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Frog Act posted:

:same: a million times. the first six hours were impossibly tedious
I was mostly in the same boat. I spent the first several hours messing around with ~open world make ur own FUN~ and not really having much fun. however, I eventually made it to Meridian and got a purple bow and actually started enjoying it a lot because the combat actually opens up vastly and the dumb resource scarcity doesn't matter and it starts to get more focused and interesting. and don't spend too long dicking around the peripheral cosplaying an ubisoft open world icon slurry and mostly just focus on map quests + some adjacent sides and caves.

that said. dont repurchase it if you already own it.

basically this:

mastershakeman posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ghost of Tsushima on easy difficulty is a nice chill out game that makes me feel powerful as gently caress and is probably my GOTY. I wish Dark Souls had something like that so I can experience that game too

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

ummmm hello, the GRAPHICKSZ?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Frog Act posted:

anyone got any sushi ghost tips? i got wrecked repeatedly trying to do the bow story last night, the double sword and big hammer guys just come rushing out and own me every time, but my deaths don't feel fair like in dark souls. they're always because of bad camera angles or because a dude comes stepping out from beside a rock or does three undodgeable attacks in a row and dodging takes me back into another enemy. is there any way to actually lock on to enemies or am I just gonna have to try to make this melee combat work with these terrible camera angles and arbitrary movements?

seriously i can't comprehend making a combat system where you have to use square to attack but also have to constantly be rotating the right stick. it's just incredibly stupid. why not R1 / R2 for attack/power attack and square/triangle for horse and use? i just don't get it

If you the tools use those kunais can trivialize most fights same with bombs. I had to start prioritizing enemies like spear dudes because you cant block them etc.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do all the enemy forts you can find in the opening of ghosts because the game kinda sucks until you get 3 of the 4 stances and can participate in the combat as the aggressor much more
you get double stance unlock progress if you sneak in and observe the leader before you kill him.
once he's dead you can peace out if you don't want to fight the regulars.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I would like to report anyone who recommended the Yakuza series in this thread. Who do I need to talk to?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thread assembles to the blaring anthem of majima construction, a wall of broadchested warriors in hardhats and sharp suits materializes from the haze of the busy city street to defend kiryu-chan's honor

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Admiral Ray posted:

oh jeez i didn't even think about drive space.

this seems to be a recurring theme with some console ports

Look up CoD 2019's size sometime, lol.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Real hurthling! posted:

do all the enemy forts you can find in the opening of ghosts because the game kinda sucks until you get 3 of the 4 stances and can participate in the combat as the aggressor much more
you get double stance unlock progress if you sneak in and observe the leader before you kill him.

:emptyquote:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w-pZm7Zay4

ports bad

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
making craftable weapons and resource gathering in a loving openworld RPG is loving trash

nobody wants to collect wood or berries or whatever the gently caress when they can be killing poo poo or exploring

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

err posted:

openworld is loving trash

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i have 95 hours in Wattam without getting the "you beat the game" achievement and now tbe creators of the game are messaging me and asking me if i need help. im the world leader in hours played for the game

yeah i need help. You made an impossible, broken game you dicks. I'm still stjck at the second island

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Real hurthling! posted:

thread assembles to the blaring anthem of majima construction, a wall of broadchested warriors in hardhats and sharp suits materializes from the haze of the busy city street to defend kiryu-chan's honor
You misunderstand me. The problem is I fell in love with the games and now I find out I have to get a playstation if I want to continue playing after 2?! I feel like Kiryu getting scammed for the millionth time, except I can't do sick finishing moves on anyone in this thread.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

cumshitter posted:

i have 95 hours in Wattam without getting the "you beat the game" achievement and now tbe creators of the game are messaging me and asking me if i need help. im the world leader in hours played for the game

yeah i need help. You made an impossible, broken game you dicks. I'm still stjck at the second island

la, la-la-la laaaaaaaaaaaaa.

be happy u fool.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Xaris posted:

I was mostly in the same boat. I spent the first several hours messing around with ~open world make ur own FUN~ and not really having much fun. however, I eventually made it to Meridian and got a purple bow and actually started enjoying it a lot because the combat actually opens up vastly and the dumb resource scarcity doesn't matter and it starts to get more focused and interesting. and don't spend too long dicking around the peripheral cosplaying an ubisoft open world icon slurry and mostly just focus on map quests + some adjacent sides and caves.

that said. dont repurchase it if you already own it.

basically this:

yeah it's definitely something i'll come back to eventually given the praise it receives from thread regulars. curse of the long backlog

Terminal autist posted:

If you the tools use those kunais can trivialize most fights same with bombs. I had to start prioritizing enemies like spear dudes because you cant block them etc.

Real hurthling! posted:

dope thanks. i just did the archer story and now i'm doing the second tale that's available from the start since they yield the bow and assassination move, respectively. are stances also acquired from doing tales or is it a matter of going to the random forts and doing an assassin's creed style clearing?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
There are some tales that have Mongol Leaders in them, so yes to the first question, but it's much faster just to wander and clear camps on your own.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Hoping someone makes a mod for HZD that removes Aloys constant chatter

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I love the part in HZD where you see a hologram of Earth and Lance Reddick is all like "I bet you're surprised it's actually round" and Aloy is like "No poo poo, of course it's loving round."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

cumshitter posted:

Git gud

It's frankly weird that y6 and judgment, let alone r3-5, aren't on PC

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Hoping someone makes a mod for HZD that removes Aloys

got really worried at this part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You misunderstand me. The problem is I fell in love with the games and now I find out I have to get a playstation if I want to continue playing after 2?! I feel like Kiryu getting scammed for the millionth time, except I can't do sick finishing moves on anyone in this thread.

Afaik the steam ports are selling well and we're getting 7 on Steam, so I don't doubt we'll eventually get the 3-5 collection and 6 too.