Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I wouldn't say it scratches the Orville itch at all - the first episode wasn't bad but they're leaning way harder into the zany slapstick angle (something that Seth emphatically tried to move away from in Orville S2)

Watch it anyway though, it has potential.

Well Seth had to make S1 that way because it's what the Studio wanted and expected - maybe something similar is happening here and perhaps the creators want to try to do some serious stuff later when the studio is happy with what's going out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

Well Seth had to make S1 that way because it's what the Studio wanted and expected - maybe something similar is happening here and perhaps the creators want to try to do some serious stuff later when the studio is happy with what's going out.

Nah, the pedigree behind the show makes it pretty clear it's gonna be sticking with the first episode theme of zany and high-speed jokes. Which is fine! But remember there's Strange New Worlds coming out, plus Disco S3 is supposed to be more upbeat and optimistic, so I don't think they're going to pivot this into the next She-Ra or Avatar, because they don't need to fill that niche. Again though, that's ok! Straight-up TNG: The Comedy Cartoon could be great too.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Don't forget the Nickelodeon show, Prodigy. I don't think they've revealed much about that besides the name but it would be pretty cool if they ended up hitting the Avatar balance with it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Handsome Wife posted:

Don't forget the Nickelodeon show, Prodigy. I don't think they've revealed much about that besides the name but it would be pretty cool if they ended up hitting the Avatar balance with it.

i had A Take on Prodigy in the ST thread:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

As it is explicitly a kids' show, my faint glimmer of hope is that it pushes more of a "how do we mature and rise to the occasion like Starfleet people would" angle. Like, "we don't have Starfleet training, so we have to learn and grow (like kids), we can't Action Hero our way out of this" or whatever,

Honestly, while I haven't seen them myself, the positive responses I've seen from newer kids' shows like Steven Universe or She-Ra give me a tiny smidge of optimism. It's a pretty ripe medium for a more hopeful, optimistic and maybe even diplomatic take on Trek than Picard or Disco or Lower Decks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I wouldn't say it scratches the Orville itch at all - the first episode wasn't bad but they're leaning way harder into the zany slapstick angle (something that Seth emphatically tried to move away from in Orville S2)

Watch it anyway though, it has potential.

Yeah I was lumping them together in the "Gang of dysfunctional morons thrown together on a spaceship have to stumble their way through weird scifi problems each week" bag

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My hopes for Prodigy delivering the full time adventures of Jake & Nog spinoff I've been waiting for for thirty years are... not high

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

With a name like that, is Prodigy about Wesley Crusher?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mllaneza posted:

Alara was awesome, a real delight, and we'll miss her. And at least the character got to leave the crew on a good episode. Honestly, "Home" is great storyteling.
I really wasn't expecting Funny Games on the Star Trek homage show.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I really wasn't expecting Funny Games starring the EMH and Dr. Phlox on the Star Trek homage show.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I love how the crew reacts with glee when they find out they’re going to have first contact with that planet in ‘All the World Is Birthday Cake’. A nice little touch.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

TBH the thing I miss most about The Orville is how it's one of the few optimistic shows on TV these days. :smith:

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

Xerxes17 posted:

TBH the thing I miss most about The Orville is how it's one of the few optimistic shows on TV these days. :smith:

I think this is the main reason that Orville feels like classic trek, tng at least.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone see the new Star Trek Lower Decks show? How does it compare to the Orville?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I liked it. It's straight comedy, it's not lighthearted serious like The Orville. Since there are other serious Trek shows I don't think it'll transition to being more serious. The first episode had some overstuffed pilot issues but I think it's worth giving a chance to. It feels more like classic Trek than Disco or Picard do.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I enjoyed Lower Decks and I really think there are two main reasons it feels so much like 90s trek than Discovery and Picard: that it's episodic, and the aesthetic. It very much looks like an animated version of 90s Trek, from LCARS and carpeted hallways to the colorful uniforms.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Fame Douglas posted:

Did anyone see the new Star Trek Lower Decks show? How does it compare to the Orville?

It was trying way to hard.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Halloween Jack posted:

I really wasn't expecting Funny Games starring the EMH, Dr. Phlox, and a Vorta on the Star Trek homage show.

Alara's mom played a Vorta on DS9 :colbert:

The absolute hard stop, record-scratch, what the gently caress moment in the kitchen was so beautifully played. Picardo is magnificent, taking his reaction from "oh, ha ha ha", to "wait, how can he be serious ?" to "oh gently caress, this is life and death". . One of his best scenes, with due credit to the director since the whole episode pivots on that scene.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Fame Douglas posted:

Lower Decks feels like it was made partially with contempt for the audience that likes old Trek. It's like Big Bang Theory is to nerd-dom. It did have some heart though, and didn't feel like it trying to do a hard edgy reboot like Disco was.

The Orville doesn't really joke around too much about serious issues where Lower Decks already feels like any greater issue that they might stumble upon, like in the first episode the idea that the Federation is too mired in bureaucracy to effectively help alien races in need, is going to take a back seat and be nothing more than a footnote.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Alara's mom played a Vorta on DS9 :colbert:

oh my god

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PaybackJack posted:

Lower Decks feels like it was made partially with contempt for the audience that likes old Trek. It's like Big Bang Theory is to nerd-dom.

I got a very different impression, but it's also pretty difficult to accurately judge a series by it's pilot

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MacFarlane is leaning hard in to hiring every Trek alumni he can get under contract, and I support him in this endeavor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The first episode of Lower Decks was good. I go a bit easy on shows in genres/series that I like, but I still laughed a bunch. It's not like The Orville at all though. Seth snuck The Orville in as a comedy and and then made it more serious. Lower Decks seems like it is going to stay a comedy for people who like references to old Trek.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

mllaneza posted:

The absolute hard stop, record-scratch, what the gently caress moment in the kitchen was so beautifully played. Picardo is magnificent, taking his reaction from "oh, ha ha ha", to "wait, how can he be serious ?" to "oh gently caress, this is life and death". . One of his best scenes, with due credit to the director since the whole episode pivots on that scene.

Yeah this was legit terrifying on first watch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PaybackJack posted:

Lower Decks feels like it was made partially with contempt for the audience that likes old Trek. It's like Big Bang Theory is to nerd-dom. It did have some heart though, and didn't feel like it trying to do a hard edgy reboot like Disco was.

The Orville doesn't really joke around too much about serious issues where Lower Decks already feels like any greater issue that they might stumble upon, like in the first episode the idea that the Federation is too mired in bureaucracy to effectively help alien races in need, is going to take a back seat and be nothing more than a footnote.

Someone made the point that Below Decks is a Trek parody but The Orville is a trek homage, which feels accurate.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Orville is closer to pastiche, IMO. But at that point we're really just splitting hairs.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You'll drive yourself nuts doing show taxonomy nowadays.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Someone made the point that Below Decks is a Trek parody but The Orville is a trek homage, which feels accurate.

Below Decks isn't a parody though. It's a comedy set in the star trek world.
I feel like that's a really different thing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Taear posted:

Below Decks isn't a parody though. It's a comedy set in the star trek world.
I feel like that's a really different thing.

Better Call Saul to Breaking Bad, though BCS did swing back to drama hard it was supposed to be mostly comedy originally.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You see, The Orville walks like this. And Lower Decks walks like this (slapstick falls down and references star trek).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm tired of all these Star Wars

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

how about a star skirmish then?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe a nebular conflict

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

An interplanetary spat

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

galactic grudge

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
one of my favorite episodes in TNG was Lower Decks. was kinda expecting that, not rick and morty star trek

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, I can understand your want, but did you really expect that after all the trailers, promos, and the fact that it's produced by a writer and producer of Rick and Morty?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

bull3964 posted:

I mean, I can understand your want, but did you really expect that after all the trailers, promos, and the fact that it's produced by a writer and producer of Rick and Morty?

Well, i oughtta elaborate.

Yeah i mean i saw the trailer, and read up that it is produced by a writer of Rick and Morty, and the art certainly goes a little in that direction.

It just reminds me of Lower Decks, the TNG episode and how great it was and i'd prefer that instead.

So i guess what i'm trying to say is, I appreciate the Orville

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
My 40th birthday is tomorrow, and my card from my kids had the receipt from preordering the XL sized Orville from Eaglemoss.

I'm gonna swoosh that thing so loving hard.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
cosmic commotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm tired of all these Star Wars

Thank you